• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] [Music] How to smooth switch music? Game hang up when "PlayMusic"/"PlayMusicEx"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hi there.

I'm trying to make a BGM switching system in my map.
I want to dynamic switch specific music when player enter the different area.

But the question is when I call "PlayMusic" or "PlayMusicEx" to play my custom imported music file, the game will "hang up" for about 2 seconds.
I think it's because the game is loading my music data, but is there any function that I could use to "preload" my "music data"?
I want to make a "smooth music switching".

If you have any idea about this, thank you for any help!

Update

* I just tried to use "Preload(...)" but its still laggy when I switch music.
* And I tried to convert music file format to ".wav" but that does not make it work as a bgm.

Last edited:
Level 3
Solved.

I converted the music as .wav file, and play it as a sound.
It works fine.

Please read RG00's reply below.

Last edited:
Level 6
Solved.

I converted the music as .wav file, and play it as a sound.
It works fine.
Wav files are much bigger than mp3 files because they aren't compressed so you should avoid using them if possible. If you have many musics I suggest you to convert them into mp3 to avoid having a map with a huge file size. Other than that, if you play your music as a sound and the player wants to disable the in-game music he won't be able to do it without disabling all the sounds too.
The small lag that happens when changing mp3 music is easily avoidable by using this:
  • Sound - Stop music Immediately
and then change the music.
If you don't like the music to stop immediately you can do something like this:
  • Sound - Stop music After the fade
  • Wait 1.00 second
  • Sound - Play some music

Level 3
Wav files are much bigger than mp3 files because they aren't compressed so you should avoid using them if possible. If you have many musics I suggest you to convert them into mp3 to avoid having a map with a huge file size. Other than that, if you play your music as a sound and the player wants to disable the in-game music he won't be able to do it without disabling all the sounds too.
The small lag that happens when changing mp3 music is easily avoidable by using this:
and then change the music.
If you don't like the music to stop immediately you can do something like this:
  • Sound - Stop music After the fade
  • Wait 1.00 second
  • Sound - Play some music

Thank you! This perfectly solved the problem and it works great!

Status
Not open for further replies.