• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music Contest #9 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 28
the%20hive%20workshop.png

music.png
contest.png
number.png
9.png

results.png

dettaglio-pistola-pirata1-jpg.291350

Steampunk
Participants should create a song that fits the steampunk retro-futuristic aesthetic.

prizes.png

• First Place: 40 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 25 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon
  • Participants: 5 reputation points
  • Judges: 5 reputation points

contest%20judging.png

• 70 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 30 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

Scores.png

Formula: (PollVotes/TotalVotes)*30 + (JudgeScore/MaxScore)*70

First Place
GhostOfPast

Second Place
HappyTauren

Third Place
Brambleclaw

Contest Thread | Poll Thread

Attachments

• RiotZ Judgement.pdf
    212.3 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:
Level 28
Nice contest everyone! I can't tell which entry I enjoyed the most, it was interesting to read the judging and watch this outcome. And thanks to RiotZ and RED BARON for participating as judges - you were great.

PS : Some of the text is copy-pasted from the previous contest and isn't edited :]
hahahahah damn

Edit: Thanks to @AditTechno I noticed I had put Judge 2's points in the scoreboard wrongly. Now results are correct.

Last edited:
Level 35
Finally they are here, glad to see them posted and seeing a comparrison I realize how similar the end results (points) was for some of the entries. Must admit that I at this point had to check both judgements just to recall which of them was my scores.

It was some great entries this time around and I have used them repeatedly since when I am working on something and need to focus. I am truly looking forward to the next contest, that I hear will likely be themed around retro. Interesting times indeed.

Congrats to the winners, and in fact congratulation to everyone who took part.

As a side-note: Shouldn't this thread be linked in that green info bar on the site?

Yay /o/
Never thought my "aw shiet" would make me loose some points, maybe i'll upload a non-interupted version tonight eheheh.

It didn't really hurt it because it was included.. More of a placement and lenght issue that together meants that it didn't really fit. I believe that it could work, with a longer song to make the interuption less out of place, and if you intended the joke (as I wondered about), then also the placement.

Last edited:
Level 35
Well, congratulations.

I must admit, however, that I find it quite peculiar how I went from being 1st place on the poll with almost a sum of points of the following three contestants, to having the third worst entry according to judges, to barely making it into the second place.

Yea, that's always the issue with the poll. It is often that poll does not match judging. For instance this one I'd say is due to the weight put on the more technical aspects and the somewhat floaty criteria of theme - while poll might be more of a genre preference, name recognition or something along those lines - hence my statement about it being somewhat unfair to compare them together. I don't really agree with the term worst, because it wasn't the case at all. The individual points and the reasoning should matter more, than the final outcome and none of the entries was "worst". Some just managed to score higher with the given criteria than others.

Hope what I just wrote made some form of sense. Basically I am trying to convey that it is not really a case of worse or best.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
I really fail to see what ice has to do with clocks, metal and stuff here. How is a song reminiscing of another have to ultimately put both in the same theme category?

I've listened to all entries and none of them did anything evil to my ears with the right volume adjusting for each.

I definitely see no error in @Brambleclaw's instrumentation choice, overall in relation to the theme especially in comparison with @Donut78's "organic" music. The latter's is farther from the theme.
I really can't abstain from commenting this (I've edited this whole post too many times anyway): I really want to know how you could feel a heavy metal song with no electric guitars, maybe even drums and what else defines the genre.

Retro(futurism) was assimilated into the steampunk concept. Electronic does not define steampunk but may be part of it resulting in a crossbred genre. Some such songs are regarded as more steampunk over others in this contest.

Regarding technicality in judging criteria, I don't think it's fair for a song which is off the theme to be over those not deviating from it unless absolute technical or compositional issues are evident.

I feel there should really be less subjectivity (preference) put into details.

I don't really care much about results in these contests as long as there is no fraud involved as I'm doing this for the sake of spirituality and keeping music alive in general. Principles should be respected.

Uh, i'm feeling guilty to go offtrack and still win. Even if it's my style of acting, i never intended to steal the popularity of someone else. I may use a different path though i'm not meaning to be better or worse : just different. You're right in some points tho. You guys did awesome jobs, i never thought that i would be in the podium x) Like my train it goes weeeeeeeeeeee and CRASH but i enjoyed running it. It was far better than expected hehehe

Level 4
This theme was surely hard to tackle musically. Even though I ran out of ideas pretty fast, I had fun and I'm pleased with the reviews. I'm looking forward to the next contests since this one was a first for me. Congrats to all!

Level 17
Uh, i'm feeling guilty to go offtrack and still win. Even if it's my style of acting, i never intended to steal the popularity of someone else. I may use a different path though i'm not meaning to be better or worse : just different. You're right in some points tho. You guys did awesome jobs, i never thought that i would be in the podium x) Like my train it goes weeeeeeeeeeee and CRASH but i enjoyed running it. It was far better than expected hehehe

I liked your train too. It was bouncy ^___^ and went chooo choo! [My guilty pleasure is that and walking basses xD]

Edit "offtrack" was that an intentional pun :eek:?

Last edited:
Level 35
Regarding technicality in judging criteria, I don't think it's fair for a song which is off the theme to be over those not deviating from it unless absolute technical or compositional issues are evident.

I feel there should really be less subjectivity (preference) put into details.

I don't really care much about results in these contests as long as there is no fraud involved as I'm doing this for the sake of spirituality and keeping music alive in general. Principles should be respected.

If I am understanding you correctly, that point is exactly why I mentioned the unfair aspect of side-by-side comparison, that we had to do here. I am somewhat in agreement with you here - which is why I've tried to explain how I approached this and made a lot of explanations. Hence the fact that GhostofPast won doesn't match my personal preference as to what song I like the most (I have love epics, just as I also have a sweet-spot for metal opera). If we had to consider theme more important than production or similar, then yes - results would have been different, but that was not the setup.

And yea, the goal of these should be the feedback (to consider) and the joy brought forth from creating and for the listeners.

"Better" and "worse" are relative terms. And "best" and "worst" are just the necessary extremes if there's a comparison to be made. Not two things are equal, and in some way they have to be comparable, in order to be part of the same contest. Or are you completely invalidating this contest?

My comment towards worst/best was that I dislike the extreme - even if just terms - the negativity of worst entry is not a fitting term for the entries here. To some extend I would have liked to have theme mean more for the contest, which as already said would have changed things around (but as theme can also be the most subjective, well meh :eek:).

Yey :p, congratulation all 3 of you.
(Wait.. why @Brambleclaw have a second place badge anyway) ??

He doesn't?

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Hence the fact that GhostofPast won doesn't match my personal preference as to what song I like the most
I was more referring to preferences like nit picking how a snare drum sounds and really missing the point stuff like that. The only problem I had about something like that was with Bramble's song but because some weird bass noise took over the melody and you couldn't hear it properly anymore not because I didn't like how the noise sounded, hence it was actually a meaningful remark.

Level 34
Oh yeah. His song is awesome actually. He only became aggressive and hostile towards people in threads lately and got some issues. Regardless of that, he is talented for music seems, at least for me. He sent me his unfinished song some time ago, it did not had end back then, wans't finished, and it was pretty cool, even I am not big fan of such music genre. I listened it few times. Long time is required to make song.

Status
Not open for further replies.