• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music Contest #5 - Poll

Who is the most futuristic inspired composer here? Choose the best music piece!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
hi guys, thank you deepstrasz for inviting me here. awesome composition everyone. im here to cast my vote to the poll. i do wanna mention that music preference varies from person to person so if i have a different opinion from other people dont be surprised.

Brambleclaw - a really nice composition. i like the way you mixed loud and soft tone to it while making an overall beat. you overkilled it a bit and overlapped the music in some parts which kinda ruined the masterpiece.

AditTechno - a nice and smooth beat from the start until the end. i like the way that the music dont overlap. i say just enough but i think a little bit more would be great but too much would ruin it. good job.

Arisato - i hear the sound of the future right from the start. i like the way you blend the music. its very energetic without ruining the rhythm. adding shouts made it interesting. the last part was a bit funny tho.

DED1 - it made me guess whats it gonna be at first the i hear the mild complicated beat. its really stable and catchy. then i start to hear the konga and the dophin sound haha. its energetic but not really energetic. fast and short beats.

PrinceYaser - nice intro. i like the drums + piano combo that you did there. the violin killed it man. not so much happening for the most parts tho.

NightStalker06698 - the bgm is there i like it when bgms dont fade. not much happening in the what is supposed to be the catchy part of the music. the music made me think of adventure. an epic adventure.

my vote goes to arisato. s/he experimented really well. awesome job everyone.

Level 15
Very sorry I couldn't end up competing in this contest after all (other life commitments got in the way).

These are great entries! Choosing one vote is hard.

Of the choices, I especially like BrambleClaw, PrinceYaser, and Nightstalker.

BrambleClaw's mix was probably the most balanced of all, the instruments most clearly presented, and the audio levels best under control. In terms of orchestration and instrument choice, I didn't feel as strong of a futuristic vibe, but it was still very interesting musically.

PrinceYaser's piece was probably my favorite in terms of instrument choice, a very tasteful blend of electric guitar with other elements that still gave it a futuristic feel. It's something a bit unexpected, but that's a really big strength, in my opinion, especially given the Futuristic theme of the contest. I like the addition of other elements like the masked vocals in the background. The only issue that stands out is the very strange stereo field. It sounds as if one of the channels is phase shifted or inverted, which really constrains the stereo field a lot. Otherwise, a compelling piece!

Nightstalker's piece had a lot of energy and definitely a very clear storyline that it portrayed. I could imagine futuristic scenes in my mind while listening. There were a few places where the audio levels clipped, but over all, a good work.

If I could vote for all 3 of you, I would, but choosing one, I'll have to go with Nightstalker's piece.

Kudos to everyone for the great work!

Level 19
Nightstalker's piece had a lot of energy and definitely a very clear storyline that it portrayed. I could imagine futuristic scenes in my mind while listening. There were a few places where the audio levels clipped, but over all, a good work.

If I could vote for all 3 of you, I would, but choosing one, I'll have to go with Nightstalker's piece.

Kudos to everyone for the great work!

Thanks for the kind words man. I know there are some issues both with the mixing and some transitions but I didn't have much time in my hand, so I rushed the music a bit to meett the deadline :D

Level 14
thanks to deepstrasz, I am currently listening to the pieces.

Unfortunately, I missed to check out the contest, but as I am making lots of music myself, I will be happy to give some feedback, once I listened through the whole thing.

Level 14
hey guys,

After listening to all the tracks, I would like to comment these pieces, as it was a lot of fun to hear through all of them and try too decide, which one is best. I actually find this very hard, as music always delivers memories and emotions, and thereby it is hard for me to say, which one is best.

Good job to all of you for creating these cool music pieces and I actually liked listening to every single one. I do not want to be presumptuous or smartass by commenting your pieces, I just wanted to write down detailed comments about the pieces, as I would have liked that, if I were you.

I listened to all pieces again for that and used deepstrasz' youtube video. thats why the music:seconds specifications refer to the youtube video (sry had only little time). My notes are therefore in the same order as the video was put together.

- The beginning sounds a bit much like midi samples, also the trumpet is quite loud.
- I think, this is a wonderful, calm intro, that comprises of beautiful spherical sounds. The strings are placed very nicely.
- At 2:15, I think that the electrical guitar part is developing really great out of this and sounds really good. The strings add a lot to the overall tension that all this creates.
- At this point I loved the song, but then the unexpected journey happened. While this actually fits perfectly to the theme, I think, especially 3:25 was just too loud and even felt arrhythmic. I mean, obviously this was intended, but the whole thing to 4:00 just killed the vibe for me, it simply was out of place too much.
- The strings at around 4:10 comforted again, and in the end, the outro was great to calm down after that exciting middle part. I liked the outro and the length of it a lot actually.

- The intro sounds really great, but the heights in the first seconds of the song seem a bit to loud to me. Like, if they almost hit over saturation.
- When this guitar lead melody kicks in, I instantly loved it a lot, especially these "slipping" notes, e.g. 6:46
- The melody and the whole piece are delivering a clear story-line and it is just beautiful and comfy to listen to.
- Around 7:20, I thought that the middle part is quite cool, because it was a nice variation without being too far way from the main theme.
-I liked the base line in contrast to the melody part and the sounds in between in the whole song, and at 8:20 these high tremolos and the strings fit very well.
- This would be a nice indi game soundtrack

- I instantly loved the piano intro because of two of the chords being quite jazzy. Also the rhythm was great.
- They do sound a bit sterile though after having listened to this several times (well, I know, this comment is not really helpful, sry)
- The whole intro reminds me of several animes and the transition to the techno part is really great.
- The whole first 30 seconds of the piece are very entertaining and the transition to the techno part is smooth.
- But at 11:20 I really hated the generic cliche drum sets, and then at 11:50, when I thought, it could not be more cliche pop-like, then the song went on to become even more cliche pop music alike all the way. I thought this kind of funny, but now it sounded like a soundtrack to the monthly "fail army" video.
- The melody was kind of nice though, pretty easy to follow like current pop music and at 12:15 I thought, the cut was quite sharp.
- 12:45 to 12:52 actually really sounds like current pop music, and I really do not like these drum sets.
- At 13:48 I was happy that it went back to that beautiful theme from the beginning, and I loved the additional elements to the lead meoldy.
- The last few seconds, i said to myself: he knew, what he did there, all the way :D

- My first impression was that this sounded like a 80's cop movie. this actually changed after a few seconds.
- Then more and more details were added so fast, that I could not even tell since when they had been there. 14:41 was pretty cool, that first 1,2,3 part is cool and exciting.
- 14:43 and some seconds later really reminded me of some space games and Auqa nox.
- 15:25 nicely leaded away to a variation without forcing too much
- 15:50 I liked and disliked this bubbling sound the same time, and at 16:30, I thought, that this had become monotonous and then, bam, you changed it. Good Job.
- I really liked the part around 17:29, but the da-da-da-dumm base line gets annoying over time.
- Well, Dolphins :D
- Did you use that sound at 19:50 before in the sample?
- In the end, this piece was quite monotonous despite a lot of variations, and this line of mine may not make no sense at all :D I think that the piece fits perfectly to the title.

- The intro was sad
- Trumpets sound a bit too metallic, but they also sounded quite far away, which is a good thing.
- At 20:25 I thought by myself: "YEAAAAAAH 80s GUITAR". It sounded pretty cool at this part.
- I do not have good audio boxes at the moment, but for me, that whispering voice was mumbling too much in the background, I could not understand it and moreover, it sounded like, you used one of these tools to spot and remove voice frequencies from a sample, and that this was, what was left. I dont want to hurt your feelings so please forgive me, if this was too rude.
- At 20:25 the drum set sounded like from some very old hip hop tapes and the melody was back to 80s movies, yesss. For example, I enjoyed the electrical strings at 21:35 a LOT, and I liked how you followed the theme past 21:45.
- Man, I really do hate these generic drum sets at 22:08 (no offense :) )
- At 22:28, when the whistling part started, I remembered some cowboy movies and suddenly the whole track reminded me of cow boy movies. it seemed to me at this point that you were inspired by space cow boys (I know this sounds quite crazy) :D Actually, the piano fits the whistling very well, good job on that!

- The Intro sounded like the soundtrack of a documentary about our solar system, I have seen recently. I liked it and I liked, how the melody was developing from all these atmospheric sounds and get stronger at 24:08.
- I did not like the drums at all, because they seemed to be too sharp to me (sry I dont have good audio boxes here) - except that I liked this tympano like drum a lot, because it was fitting the theme so well.
- At 25:18 a lot of strong feelings were delivered by the sound so this whole part is composed quite good, however at 25:28, when it got more dramatic, I did not like, how the melody, that remains, sounded quite "midi-like".
- The next part, together with the choirs was really dramatic (I know, thanks Cptn Obvious :D), but I am glad, that you added these strings at 26:22 above the rest of the sounds, which made it to be more dimensional and the strings coloured in the lead melody in such a way, that it even got more dramatic but also lighter in the same way. Great :)
- At 27:18 everything fell behind and this was just great, also the finish at 27:30 not only reminds me of a lot of games, it was also great.

In the end, I decided to vote for AditTechno , because I simply liked that piece today the most.
I intended to write it that way, because I could have easily liked NightStalker06698's piece the most, who knows. With music, it all depends on one's current feelings and situations ...

Good job everybody, I do not envy at all the poor guy that has to judge this close contest.

Level 4
The choice was very hard! Though I choose DED1! :)
@Gottfried Thanks mate. :D

DED1; I did like the weird sound bytes you used (dolphins? lol).
@Kyrbi0 Yeah, that was a reference to this game (watch 1:36). I just had to put that in there. xD

DED1 - Your entry really captured the theme. It's something I can totally see playing at some futuristic club in some hyper spaceship. I really liked the countdown soundtrack you added; it hyped me up everytime I heard it. My only issue with the song was the random dolphin sounds

My vote goes for DED1 :p
@KILLCIDE Thanks dude. See the link above for the dolphin reference. xD

DED1 - it made me guess whats it gonna be at first the i hear the mild complicated beat. its really stable and catchy. then i start to hear the konga and the dophin sound haha. its energetic but not really energetic. fast and short beats.
@Empirean Haha. Thanks for the feedback!

In the end, this piece was quite monotonous despite a lot of variations, and this line of mine may not make no sense at all :D I think that the piece fits perfectly to the title.
@Emm-A- Hehe, thanks. :)

@Arisato Man, I really waited a long time with my vote. But to be honest: I have been listeing to your piece for days! It's really awesome. So I didn't really have a choice. My vote goes to you. Well done! :)

Greetings everyone,

Thank you all for voting and taking the time to listen and vote carefully to each and every musical piece. It is rather good to see so many people engaging and voting here :]

Our esteemed judge, deepstrasz has long since provided the judging for this fine contest. I will deliver the results soon. Most likely tomorrow if nothing comes up in the meantime.

Thank you all for the attention and dedication on this contest!

Greetings everyone,

Thank you all for voting and taking the time to listen and vote carefully to each and every musical piece. It is rather good to see so many people engaging and voting here :]

Our esteemed judge, deepstrasz has long since provided the judging for this fine contest. I will deliver the results soon. Most likely tomorrow if nothing comes up in the meantime.

Thank you all for the attention and dedication on this contest!
Good!:) Do not want to create a terraining contest? I'm interested!

Level 21
Grrr i'm too late, still:

I liked the playful entry from Ded1 - Galaxy Trip the most.
Objectively speaking Nightstalker's Interstellar Surrealism is clearly the most advanced, has the most oomph and epicness.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
@Kyrbi0 Yeah, that was a reference to this game (watch 1:36). I just had to put that in there. xD

I like its obvious Douglas Adams reference at 02:26.

I had first thought, your main source of inspiration was Commander Blood. In this sci-fi video game, one travels through time and space and from planet to planet. One visits its inhabitants thanks to dolphin-like creatures.

("dolphin" at the beginning, "galaxy trip" at 01:40)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.