1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Music Contest #1 - Races

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by WherewolfTherewolf, Dec 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeLeNoR

KeLeNoR

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
  2. VoidLordXtreme

VoidLordXtreme

Resources:
    Resources:
    a question:
    does my WIP fit the human race the best? or does it fit to an other race better??

@Waldbaer: thx :D

3. Waldbaer

Waldbaer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'd kill this post because the humans were you inspiration and inspiration is before the work! :razz:
    Anyways, I think it fits. It's only always the question in which way it fits because you always have to focus on some aspects in your music. :wink:

4. VoidLordXtreme

VoidLordXtreme

Resources:
    Resources:
    true.. ^^
    well i thought of humans and there came trumpets in my mind so i tried my best :)
    was just thinking because of the drums...(maybe they sound too orcish?)

edit:
    Final Entry!!

Story
    The Rise of Lords – Human Theme

15 Years ago, the ogres burned up houses and tortured villagers of the Eastern Kingdoms.
    They were like a plague, so Lord Eastwood and Lord Ironknight were sent far away to the continent Kalimdor.
    There mission was to kill all ogres living there to solve the ogre-problem in their country.
    As they came back everyones heart was filled with hope, so the most famous composer of the city Stratholme wrote a theme, called “The Rise of Lords”, celebrating Lord Eastwood and Lord Ironknights success.
    Now in the Eastern Kingdoms they celebrate every second march by playing this theme!

edit:edit: added Explanation.. sry that i forgot. (seems like i skipped that rule oO)
    Explanation
    The humans are celebrating many festivals, using trumpets and drums for the music.
    The base synthesizer for the trumpet-near sounds is in the category "bass sounds" and called "Deep Saw".
    It sounds like a royal orchestra when a important guest arrives (like they are celebrating that he arrives and maybe also what he has done).
    Its mostly the relationships what makes the humans as strong as they are.
    They are able to use higher technology than most of the other races, but they are physically weaker and do not have special abilities (except of priests, palas etc.)

gl to everyone else!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  5. Pyritie

Pyritie

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    zip/rar it then

6. The Panda

The Panda

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    One more day to go.

7. Midnighters

Midnighters

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  8. Hamster Hunter

Hamster Hunter

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hi
    I'm sorry, but because I've been busy doing lots of other school stuff and so, I'm afraid that I cant compleete my piece of music. I've done almost nothing since my first and last WIP, so I dont see any point in putting up any "final entry" for me. I'm really sorry. thanks for all the feedback I got on my WIP.

I hope to join another music contest another time :p thanks again

9. Waldbaer

Waldbaer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    OK, one day left and it will become a busy recording & mixing day for me... I plan to record the trumpet parts myself, but I never did that before and my experiments today showed it won't become easy to play good enough. Well let's see if I manage to play better than the automatic MIDI. :grin:
    I hope most of the other contestants won't be leaving, too, and look forward to the listening session after the recording session. See you tomorrow! :wink:

10. Drenferalis

Drenferalis

Resources:
    Resources:
    Final Entry

Sadly for me, I had forgotten to save before going to bed, there was a power outage. I lost all my progress from my second WIP until now. I will have to use my third WIP as my final entry.

Final Entry

Explanation

Elementals - Story

The elementals are like many races, yet they are so different from all others. From as far as anyone can remember the elementals have been there, they share bonds that represent each other. But even as a race they themselves have differences that would throw them into war. From shape, size and even composition. In this song you will hear the randomness of each elemental, the race that doesn't even have one determined bodyshape. The beat of their warring ways, the chaos of their questionable actions, and even the transitions between the many types of this race there are... From the warring to the soothing elementals this song tries to single them out in the midst of their chaotic wars.

Elementals - Instruments

Everything in this song was synthesized, It uses many synthesized pads and a synthesized piano. The "air" effect at the beginning and end was a pad that was passed through a gate effect. The reason these instruments were used was that the elementals have an energy like flow to them that you get out of synthesized instruments.
    Special FX inlude an EQ, a frequency clipper, multiple envelopes (for volume and panning control), and a phaser (multiplies and manipulates frequency ranges).

Final Entry Download

11. WherewolfTherewolf

WherewolfTherewolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Very good - I would say thats a good method to base your final entry off for everyone else - remember that you need the explanation for your final entry to be accepted (If we get few entries because people neglected this rule I may consider giving them an extra day to get that in though this is a necessity).

-Don't forget this

12. RED BARON

RED BARON

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Oh yea, I totally forgotten that part :hohum:

13. JetFangInferno

JetFangInferno

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Here's my WIP, a sentimental piece that ends abruptly right now (Mind went blank after struggling for new parts). +1 for the person who can guess the theme behind the song's story (hint: it's in the name). Story of course, will be posted along with my final submission. For the time being, the song's a simple piano solo played by me that I will try to add more parts to. Hopefully I will make it in time since I have class tomorrow too. Fun!

Attached Files:

14. Sephalo

Sephalo

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is my submission. Unfortunatelly I didn't have enough time to improve it because of school, but it might be worth a few rep or whatever.:)
    I made it for furbolgs because of I get this forest feeling when I listen to it, so my decision had to be for a forest liver already. The night elves didnt really fit into this, and to be really honest I had a wood elf feeling, but wood elves don't excist in warcraft 3 so I decided to call it furbolg theme because they're a nice and peaceful forest living race while the rythm at start makes sence aswel because they're also a bit big and tough.

I hope you like it.

Attached Files:

15. KeLeNoR

KeLeNoR

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Ok, here is my Final Entry.

Explanation:

Orc Theme - Story
    As the orcs traditional music came from drums of war and deep echoes from the steps of their gigantic beasts, this song will contain their elements. In this song you will hear how Orcs see the world through music. Full of ancient spirits that chant, drums and echoes.

Orc Theme - Instruments
    Using Drums, deep echoes (from steps of beasts), sounds and voices of the Spirits. The strong wind that some times come strong and sometimes weak. A nice end with a strong drum sound to finish the song leaving its echoe back.

Attached Files:

16. Sephalo

Sephalo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well played!

17. The Panda

The Panda

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Today is the end of the contest, everyone now please enter your music, thanks.

18. Midnighters

Midnighters

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Please post them in an orderly fashion, and without any posts that are offtopic, we need them in one place so we can find them easily.

19. The Panda

The Panda

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Gathered some of the contestants music together.

1: KeLeNoR (Orc Theme)

2: JetFangInferno (Pyrhhic Victory Theme)

3: Drenferalis (Elemental Chaos War Theme)

4: EMPerror (Water Elements)

Tell me if i uploaded the wrong music.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  20. Midnighters

Midnighters

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Judging

KeLeNoR (Orc Theme)
    Theme I believe the music fits the Orc theme well with the tribal drums, and the cymbals add a nice tribal feel to it. But there was just something missing. 20/30
    Creativity/Originality The piece is a little bit repeatitive, it sounds a lot like many different tribal musics, maybe you should have changed up the drums a little bit. And there was not enough other instruments added to the music. 9/20
    Dynamic/Tonation The music stays on beat well, and the few changes in instruments you had were blended in well enough. 15/20
    Composition I do not think it was composed the best, because what got me was the fact that it sounded like a piano in a tribal setting. When it started I was like, "Okay, sounds good so far", then half way through it lost my interest because of the few changes. 5/30

JetFangInferno (Pyrhhic Victory Theme)
    Theme I think the music matches the theme you were going for, the music it's self was soothing and gave me a victory feel. 25/30
    Creativity/Originality Very original in my opinion, I have not heard music like this before. 15/20
    Dynamic/Tonation The flow of the music is constant, and the music stays on key and gives a very nice vibe. 20/20
    Composition The composition was well, the song kept it's course and delivered what was expected. One minor problem is the way the song ends, it should drift off rather then just stopping. 20/30

Drenferalis (Elemental Chaos War Theme)
    Theme The theme gives me an Element feel, I like the use of the technological sounds. 27/30
    Creativity/Originality Very original, not much music out there that sounds like this. And if there is, I have not heard it. 17/20
    Dynamic/Tonation The dynamic of the music seems a bit random to me, it seems to me you just randomly added sounds that made it sound good. You should have a sense of order to you music, not randomness. 8/20
    Composition The composition was okay, I think you should have spent a little more time working on the feel of it, and not length. 15/30

EMPerror (Water Elements)
    Theme /30
    Creativity/Originality /20
    Dynamic/Tonation /20
    Composition /30

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.