1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Music Contest #1 - Races

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by WherewolfTherewolf, Dec 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WherewolfTherewolf

WherewolfTherewolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    @Killer Once again I reiterate to read the first post as it contains the rules. If you had you would know that MIDI files are acceptable and that the end date of the competition is March Third.

Also be sure to post a WiP so that we can verify that you indeed made the song.

Good luck and have fun.

@Dar - read the first page, it has all the information you need to know

2. WherewolfTherewolf

WherewolfTherewolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Please edit your last post, instead of double posting

3. Darkness-4ever

Darkness-4ever

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh my triple post, thats a backbreaker, anyway I'm siding with EMPeror's piece for now, as it has nice and intense rhythm and sound.

4. KILLER11454

KILLER11454

Resources:
    Resources:
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  5. The Panda

The Panda

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    STOP DOUBLE POSTING. USE EDIT BUTTON! sorry.

6. Darkness-4ever

Darkness-4ever

Resources:
    Resources:
    I already reported it.

7. WherewolfTherewolf

WherewolfTherewolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:

Wait, what? All your links are broken - and you should attach your music directly to the post. I also have a hard time believing that you finished your entire entry within a few hours of your first post.

8. Darkness-4ever

Darkness-4ever

Resources:
    Resources:
    They were working just an hour ago... hmph.

9. Fanny.Shaver

Fanny.Shaver

Resources:
    Resources:
    mp3 isn't better format ;]

werewolf, u can convert it, i will be able to hear the difference...

10. Sounds nice, I'm in even though this is my second-third post on TheHive

So we basically have to choose a race and compose a track. Piece O' cake

=)

11. EMPerror

EMPerror

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Fanny.Shaver, i can't download it.
    should have used another uploader, Megaupload or rapidshare maybe?

12. Fanny.Shaver

Fanny.Shaver

Resources:
    Resources:
    @up

Strange, any time I am tring got absolutely no problems. Instead, any time trying rs or megaupload I moan far too much to use it.

13. Kercyn

Kercyn

Resources:
    Resources:
    That's because the server is full, and has 0 spots left for free downloaders. If you retry downloading it once the server isn't full, there shouldn't be a problem.

14. KeLeNoR

KeLeNoR

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I am in.

15. Darkgamma

Darkgamma

Resources:
    Resources:
    You do that, too :D You've double posted :wink:

16. WherewolfTherewolf

WherewolfTherewolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Nah, the other guy deleted his post and I'm too lazy to edit it as It's not my fault :p

17. Cheetah

Cheetah

Resources:
    Resources:
    I could try... but I didn't really understand, should it be just a single track matching a picked race or what?

18. WherewolfTherewolf

WherewolfTherewolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    1: did you read the first post?
    2: Yes, the point is to make 1 song that fits the theme of any race from wc3 lore (doesn't have to be the playables in the game).
    3: The song can be of any sort of style as long as you can connect it to the race by explaining it (all pieces must be accompanied by a written explanation of how it fits the theme)
    4: No it doesn't need to fit in with the game music.
    5: You must post 1 wip before your final so we can verify its your work and not ripped (someone's already been busted for trying to steal work so don't think no one will notice if you try).
    6: If you need a program to get started there is a list of useful programs on the first page, most of them are free while others offer free trials.

19. CoBrA b

CoBrA b

Resources:
    Resources:
    Meh, I'm tired of waiting for the 28th. Here's my entry.

Songs of the Earth Mother

Songs of the Earth Mother is an orchestral work in the romantic style about the life of a tribe of tauren fifty years before the arrival of the orcs. The piece is in the key of D-flat major, and was composed using Noteworthy Composer.
    Story
    As soon as I heard of the theme of this contest, I was eager to compose something with a story behind it. I hope that, while simple, you can feel this story through the music, and see what I see when I listen.
    Fifty years before the orcs ever set foot on Kalimdor, the proud, gentle giants known as the Tauren roamed the plains of Mulgore. Here we see the sun gently peek over the horizon, as the grass sways in a gentle morning breeze. The gentle silence is broken by the sweet sound of a flute, played by a tauren sitting atop a hill, awakening his brothers and sisters. The tauren rise from their sleep, and venture out from their tents, going about their daily lives. As the sun rises higher into the sky, the drums call out the hunters to pick up their spears. Cheered on by those who stay behind, the hunters rush out of their encampment onto the vast plains. Running across the endless hills, they soon come to a herd of beasts, grazing. At once the tauren charge, and the beasts, spooked, stampede at once. The chase is long and tiring, but soon one beast begins to fall behind the others, and the tauren, seeing their chance, throw their spears. The beast falls, and the tauren rejoice, triumphantly carrying the carcass back to their camp, and offering their thanks to the Earth Mother.[/
    Instruments
    This piece is composed for a full orchestra, consisting of strings (16 violins I, 14 violins II, 12 violas, 10 violoncellos, and 8 double basses), two flutes, two oboes, two clarinets in Bb, 2 bassoons, 4 horns in F, 3 trumpets in C, 2 tenor trombones, 1 tuba, two native American flutes, timpani, and other assorted percussion. The strings serve primarily as ambience, while the woodwinds play out the more subtle themes, the brass playing out the loud and bold passages, with the drums accentuating the music all the way with their strong beats.
    Inspiration and Creative Process
    The tauren have long been my favorite race in the Warcraft universe. So, when I heard that the theme was races, I instantly knew that my composition would be for the tauren. Of course, when I thought of the tauren, two things immediately leapt into my head, native American music, and Antonin Dvorak’s New World Symphony. The latter has been a long-time favorite of mine, and my piece was heavily inspired by it, particularly the second and fourth movements.
    But the other half, native American music, was what I worked hard to immerse myself in, and probably the most important part of this piece. For several weeks, I practically lived my life with songs like this, this, this, and this in the background, all the while dissecting the theory behind this music, which remains my favorite type of non-classical music. Thus the main theme of this piece arose, built mainly off of the pentatonic scale used by many a native American tribe. The base tune was actually something I found myself humming which I then fitted to the pentatonic scale, and after that, the rest of the theme just came flowing out. After that, it was a simple process of making a suitable introduction for what I wanted to portray, and then working out the proper harmony for this melody. The rest of the piece simply flowed from there. With the story I wanted to convey in mind, I then set about creating the second theme, which just came to me on the spot, as I was composing. Finally, I worked out the drumbeats. Oddly enough, the beats were simple rhythms I found myself tapping out one day, which I then either layered on top of each other, or a simple beat in the background.
    Album Cover

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  20. Sephalo

Sephalo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh I love that Cobra!
    However I would reduce the volume of the flute (comming in at 0:30) a bit, sometimes it's too loud compared to the strings. I understand it should be louder, but this is too loud sometimes.
    At 1:48 a fast drumrythm starts. I would cut te notes in half there. I would use 8th notes instead of 16th if you know what i mean. It's a bit too... hmm... It's more orcish or trollish to use fast drumrythms, I think tauren fit more with slower rythms. And it is a bit too... rushy or how you call it. That 1:48 drumgroove is a bit rushy. (at 3:43 aswel)

I really like the end btw the big boing, fits really well:D:D

So well. That was a littlebit of critique, but dont get me wrong. I really like your submission so far!

About my own submission.
    Recently I had no time to work on it yet because my dad had been very busy with using the music studio for his own works. He's going away on a 4 day holiday now so I will be able to use his studio for the entire weekend so will start working on it. (He's a drummer and has a pretty big studio with recording stuff + cubase so I can compose stuff myself but as long as he is practising or drumming himself I won't be able to go in there:))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.