• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Multiplayer RPG Mapset Brainstorm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
This is a long post, but I think it's worth it ;)

So a looong time ago I had this (I think) wonderfully brilliant idea for a set of multiplayer RPG maps. I kinda got started on the whole thing and then it fell apart because the project was monstrous and I couldn't handle it by myself. Anyways, I'm not campaigning or recruiting for a new project, but merely handing out an idea that I was pretty obsessed with for a few months. If anyone feels like taking on a project like this, feel free to let me know, and I'll be glad to help. However, this would require hours and hours of time and probably a team of dedicated people.

Multiplayer RPG Mapset Brainstorm

I find it hard to begin expressing how massive this idea is. The basic idea of a set of maps is that you can create a hero in one scenario, and transfer him to other scenarios while maintaining all his properties, items, gold, etc etc. There would be multiple maps that could be hosted on Bnet, and then players join, load their characters, and get play.

I'll start from the beginning. Character creation. You choose a class etc, and create one on a starter map. The starter map is basically filled with lower end quests and monsters. Like all maps, it has the option of going multiplayer and you can quest/level with other players. The classes in my version had quite a lot of customization as far as skills/abilities go, but it could even go farther.

Once you are finished (or just want to leave) the starter map, you can save your hero in a code (along with whatever extra information a code might provide). After this, you would go find another map from the map set, and load your character into it. The set would have to be released with atleast 2 maps to create some variety and somewhere for players to go after the starter map. There would be several other kinds of maps you could use your character for:

1. City Maps: These are maps where players sell items, buy items, visit class trainers, trade with players, talk, etc.
2. Quest Maps: These are maps with a few bases of operation and then a very large area to explore and quest in. They would be mainly used for levelling.
3. Dungeon Maps: These are maps where 5 or so people enter a dungeon for a challenging game where they can get expirience and unique items
4. Raid Maps: Pretty much the same thing as a dungeon map but on a larger scale (10 people, larger fights)
5. PvP Maps. These maps could be anything from arenas to AoS style maps where players load characters and compete against eachother.
6. Combo Maps: Any combination of the maps listed above.

So basically you level and upgrade your character over time as if you were in a true multiplayer RPG. XP, Items, gold, and everything else you get in one map is saved and transferred wherever you go next. The mapset has massive potential because essentially you could create any type of map, and as long as it uses the same heroes etc., it could be considered part of the set.

A map like this would have to have:
-Costomization to create a true RPG feel.
-Variety in everything so that the player doesn't feel like they are repeating everything. Not only in quests etc, btu in items, spells, dungeons etc.
-Omniplayer, a feature that allows the player to play with either one player or multiplayer as long as they are on Battle.net. This would allow players who couldnt host to play, but prevent people from taking advantage of singleplayer and cheating.
-A massive world. In order to create the feel of a true RPG, this mapset would have to have a lot of maps that all functioned on the system.

Over time, players would get the feeling that they are advancing not just their characters, but also in the game world. For this to work, expansion maps would be released over time to give players the idea that the game world was changing and expanding. These expansion maps would introduce new scenarios, items, bosses etc etc.

I hope by now you are getting the idea of how a system like this would play and function. It would be a community that spreads through Battle.net (and probably its own website). The game itself would be mroe than just a map type, but its own class of maps.

Technical Stuff

On the technical side, this project would require tons of work.
Notes:
1. All items ingame before official release of any maps. All items means all items. Even though the majority of these items would have to be saved for expansion maps, you would need them in the game so that players don't have to download a completely new version of the game every time a new map surfaces. This also means you will have do virtually all planning before you release a map.
2. Very few imports. Maps would have to cut down on custom models, skins, etc. to reduce space used.
3. Few class options. So that the save/load code doesn't have to work too hard. My incomplete version had 5 hero types, based around group roles but customizable enough so that they aren't all cookie-cutter.
4. Consistent triggers/objects/imports with every map. This relates to the core triggers, objects, and imports. In order for the system to work, every single map would have to have the exact same core functions etc. However, different maps could have seperate extra units, abilities etc because they wouldn't be transferred to seperate maps.
5. An very refined save/load code. In order to create a true (and secure) RPG experience, the save load code would have to save hero type, experience, abilities, resources, and numerous other values that might be used in games (reputation, upgrades, player name etc).
6. Quest Log use. Using the quest log for actual quests is the easiest way to do it.
7. "-help" and similar chat commands would take the place of game info being in the quest section (although you could use one side for each).
8. Online play only. I believe this was covered before, but its imperative that the game is only played on Battle.net so that players cannot use cheats.

Possible Features
1. A bank map. A single person map that is the only map playable on single player mode. This map would have triggers set up to detect gamebreaking cheats. Players would be able to empty their backpacks and store their items in a bank. Then one would save the game, and be able to go access it whenever you wanted items from the bank. You just have to remember to -save and your character and save the map. However, this could be exploited by duplicating items etc.
2. MultiMap quests. Carrying a certain item in your inventory, or having a certain save code integer turned on could trigger multimap quests. These could be massive quests with great rewards if you ever finished them.
3. Repuation. The possibility of reputation giving you access to new features, items, and locations, and then transferring over to your future games.
4. Difficulty Settings. Players could enter a low level dungeon, but choose to increase the level of the all the creeps by 20, and have a much more challenging run through.
5. A core map for mods. Make a blank map embedded with all the core imports, objects, and triggers, and let it out into the public. As long as people don't mess with any of the core functions, they could create their own mods and let them out onto Battle.net.

So there you have it, my very long brainstorm for a Warcraft III based RPG with extreme potential. I'm open to all kinds of comments, questions, ideas, flames, suggestions, and whatever else you have to throw my way (if you got through that entire post of course).

Thanks for reading
-Makesfolkslose

Level 3
I'm finding it hard to belive that players are gonna write in codes between every map. Atleast I woulden't bother..

~Operator

Well yea it's gonna be kinda annoying, but it's the only way to make a system like this work. When you think about it, save codes are used for a lot of games. The only difference is that you'd be chain coding for games. It's not too complicated, you just have to make sure the code's correct. Copy+paste into WC3 works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.