• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mountain Hollow

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
(2)Mountain Hollow

Description

A small, fast paced map. Expansion and merc camp control might be key for this map.
A proper description will follow if this map gets good enough.

You can find the map-overview in the screenshots.

Includes

4 Gold-Mines (2 Starting Locations; 2 Expansions)
2 Mercenary Camps
2 Goblin Merchants
1 Tavern

v1.0 (02.06.2015) - Uploaded
v1.1 (23.06.2016) - Made big changes to the terraining, tried to go after mod suggestions
This is obviously not a very good map yet.
This is my first attempt of trying to create something with a decent terrain.
I don't think this is good, but hopefully I will get some opinions on this,
so I can improve my terraining and Melee mapping skills. And maybe someone finds this map useful.

Keywords:
bad, melee, map, ashenvale, trying to improve, Bob marley
Previews
Contents

(2)Mountain Hollow (Map)

Reviews
09:44, 2nd Jun 2015 Shadow Fury: The map is rejected because it does not satisfy the minimal quality standards for approval. Actually, I am impressed that you managed to create balanced item drops, that's what usually most people fall in but...

M

09:44, 2nd Jun 2015
Shadow Fury: The map is rejected because it does not satisfy the minimal quality standards for approval.

Actually, I am impressed that you managed to create balanced item drops, that's what usually most people fall in but somehow you did not. Your creep camps also seem fine. However, the terrain... although you tried to rise and lower it, it still looks too flat. In addition, the tile variation wasn't really good. You didn't use all the tiles available, making your terrain look monotone. If you'd added Dirt, Rough Dirt and Grass, your terrain would've been much better. That central part then... nothing is symmetrical in a forest so I wonder why creating a square region. I recommend making it asymmetrical and not using just the Rock tile; use other tiles as well.

Getting to doodads, you really need to use more. I'd suggest using things like shurbs and flowers around the trees plus other environmental doodads and also adding some watery-themed doodads like cattails, river rushes, rocks etc... in the shallow water zone
Finally, I strongly recommend replacing the Goblin Laboratories with Mercenary Camps since a Goblin Laboratory is useless in this map.

That's all. Should you update your map, notify me and I'll have a look at it again.

Level 21
Hey Kori, I finally checked your melee map again. Nice job! If I remember the old map well, I can say the terrain looks better and that you followed my suggestions, although I'm not a fan of lumpy grass. It is literally spammed everywhere and I'd suggest using different tiles. Making one tile too prevalent often doesn't give a positive result.
As for the creeps, the Satyr Soulstealers guarding the Mercenary Camps should drop a random level 3 item to make it balanced. The summed level is 14 and total level of dropped items is just 4. Making it 5 is better.
Lastly, I noticed there are large empty spaces in front of the expansion gold mines. I wonder why because they could be filled with other trees, little ponds or otherwise. In a 1v1, such huge space is wasted.

For approval, you should work on points two and three. Number one could only be me not liking lumpy grass :p
Let me see you working on this one!