• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Monter2 v1.2.5

This bundle is marked as high quality. It exceeds standards and is highly desirable.
MONTER2%20version%20B.png

- A blatant Dark Souls ripoff for Warcraft III -
Latest Update Changelogs: [1] [2]

Fanmade wiki created by EdgeOfChaos
Videos detailing Monter2's development

SUMMARY

• Gameplay
    Gameplay is focused on exploration, challenging boss fights, and simply killing stuff.
    There are many secrets and such to discover, since the explorable area is quite large.
    This game does not have a storyline.
  • Combat system
    Monter2 uses a hack-and-slash combat system inspired by Monster Hunter and Dark Souls.
    There are currently five weapon classes - sword, hammer, spear, axe, and bow.
    Enemies also utilize the combat system, each with their own unique behaviors.
  • Game length
    In a typical playthrough, about 4 to 5 hours.
    It is possible to complete the game in less than an hour, however.
  • Solo and co-op
    Enemy health is adjusted according to the number of players present, making the game
    suitable for solo and co-op play.
  • Other features
    Monter2 uses custom animations which were made for this game specifically.
    This game also uses an original soundtrack.

CREDITS

[td]​
-Models-​
-=Emergenzy=-
Balrog
Callahan
Celestea
Chriz.
communist_orc
Deolrin
dhguardianes
Dionesiist
eubz
Forgotten_Warlord
HammerFist132
HappyTauren
hellblazer-14
Herio-san
imforfun
JesusHipster
JetFangInferno
Judash
[/td]​
[td]​
Kino
Kitabatake
Land-Sengklek
Lord_T
nGy
olofmoleman
PeeKay
Power
Radagast
RightField
s4nji
Sunchips
sunwarrior25
The_Silent
Thrikodius
TLI-Inferno
UgoUgo
WhiteDeath
Various UTM contributors
[/td]​
[td]​
-Systems-​
Bribe
Tom Jones
moyack
Vexorian
TriggerHappy `​
-Icons-​
CRAZYRUSSIAN `​
-Music-​
n00b
[/td]​
Contents

Monter2 v1.2.5 (Map)

Level 3
tbh all the bosses up to the player boss (i think that is the final one) were really easy, most of them i destroyed on first or second try, with the ancient viper or whatever it is called taking me like 4 tries, but for some reason i cant beat this boss at all, i always get him to the second stage but then its just like i cant find any time to hit him because he moves so quickly and utterly destroys me everytime i make a mistake (because of stunlocking)

the thing that i mentioned killing me was that everytime he was switching to the second stage i tried using my heal but since i was panicking a bit i forgot that my ultimate is there instead and i just wasted it, also when im trying to dodge the boss and switch the abilities at the same time it gets quite difficult since he is so ridiculously fast

so far i've been using only magic hammer but im starting to think that the weapon is too slow and i might try using the dark sword tomorrow
Use anything except for bow and hammer. If you use hammer, you would get greedy to round strike or charged strike. For bow, boss would rush at you 70% of the time, the moment you position yourself and aim at him, then die.

Edit: I died more times to Ancient viper than last boss, so I really respect you for dying only 4 times :'(

Level 12
the thing that i mentioned killing me was that everytime he was switching to the second stage i tried using my heal but since i was panicking a bit i forgot that my ultimate is there instead and i just wasted it, also when im trying to dodge the boss and switch the abilities at the same time it gets quite difficult since he is so ridiculously fast
fair enough, i'm probably gonna revise the ability switching thing, but don't expect that any time soon :^o

so far i've been using only magic hammer but im starting to think that the weapon is too slow and i might try using the dark sword tomorrow
you're probably better off using the sword if you're having difficulties with attack opportunities, but funnily enough i think hammers are very effective against the final boss

tbh all the bosses up to the player boss (i think that is the final one) were really easy, most of them i destroyed on first or second try, with the ancient viper or whatever it is called taking me like 4 tries, but for some reason i cant beat this boss at all, i always get him to the second stage but then its just like i cant find any time to hit him because he moves so quickly and utterly destroys me everytime i make a mistake (because of stunlocking)
intredasting, most pubbies i've seen usually have trouble at dreadlord, and the few people who make it to ancient viper would probably say that it's the hardest boss in the game

:eek:if it really only took you 4 tries to beat ancient viper, i'm actually really curious as to what your stats were, what weapon were you using, what your overall strategy was, etc.

also, the player boss is the final boss, but there's a couple of optional bosses that you may not have fought: flame guardian, flame champion, hard mode guardian, and hard mode revenant

Edit: I died more times to Ancient viper than last boss, so I really respect you for dying only 4 times :'(

^

Level 2
:eek:if it really only took you 4 tries to beat ancient viper, i'm actually really curious as to what your stats were, what weapon were you using, what your overall strategy was, etc.

so i was away for a few days so im gonna write off from what i remember, i used the regular hammer with the tactic to charge it before the fight even starts ( to get in few K of dmg) i think i was lvl 16-18 somewhere between that with points spent into strength to have exactly 10 and rest into stamina, i either didnt use a shield or it was barrier (because i always forget about blocking anyways and i never needed it) and my strategy was to helplessly try to dodge his attacks and when he did his little charge thing i went up to him and smacked him with the huge combo E-E-R i believe it was (maybe the final attack even stunned him i dont remember) and when i got the special hammer attack which stuns him for 5 seconds i literally just destroyed him, and also at start just before i started charging the attack i used "D" heal on me which i've set to give me a shield and increased mana regen (or energy regen) because im never able to use the heal in fights anyways so might as well get a boost before them

also im not sure if it was 4 tries i just know it wasnt too much it might have been between 3-5 but definitely nothing more than that because after that point i would be raging a lot more than i remember .... oh yeah i also used the warlock stone that gives you a 750-ish shield

thats probably everything about my "strategy" of just whacking the boss until he hopefully dies, tbh i think that the hammer is kinda OP but as i said i havent tried other weapons because i was able to outdamage dreadlord by just damaging him through his heals (at least when i wasnt dodging him)

Level 3
so i was away for a few days so im gonna write off from what i remember, i used the regular hammer with the tactic to charge it before the fight even starts ( to get in few K of dmg) i think i was lvl 16-18 somewhere between that with points spent into strength to have exactly 10 and rest into stamina, i either didnt use a shield or it was barrier (because i always forget about blocking anyways and i never needed it) and my strategy was to helplessly try to dodge his attacks and when he did his little charge thing i went up to him and smacked him with the huge combo E-E-R i believe it was (maybe the final attack even stunned him i dont remember) and when i got the special hammer attack which stuns him for 5 seconds i literally just destroyed him, and also at start just before i started charging the attack i used "D" heal on me which i've set to give me a shield and increased mana regen (or energy regen) because im never able to use the heal in fights anyways so might as well get a boost before them

also im not sure if it was 4 tries i just know it wasnt too much it might have been between 3-5 but definitely nothing more than that because after that point i would be raging a lot more than i remember .... oh yeah i also used the warlock stone that gives you a 750-ish shield

thats probably everything about my "strategy" of just whacking the boss until he hopefully dies, tbh i think that the hammer is kinda OP but as i said i havent tried other weapons because i was able to outdamage dreadlord by just damaging him through his heals (at least when i wasnt dodging him)
Good job LOL. Our strategies were to use swords, you're probably the first to use hammer solo.
Quote from a guy: "Hammer sucks"

Level 12

i've always felt the hammer was slightly overpowered for a variety of reasons:

its base weapon power is rather high - 400 wpn in comparison to the sword's 200 wpn

its damage scaling is +4 per point of strength, and stacking str scaling damage with the +60 you get from 2 promotion stone upgrades is pretty fucking insane; in your case, 10 STR would yield a total bonus of +100 weapon power

its ultimate, Impact, has some fucking insane damage potential
while Impact itself only has a 2.5 weapon power multiplier, the 5 second stun window allows you to pull of the 'charge attack -> round strike' combo which has a 6.5 multiplier. Impact and the round strike combo combined have a total weapon power multiplier of 9.0
to translate that into damage: with 10 strength and a +3 Mace, That does about 4500 fucking damage... which is more damage than the Axe's Severance at 4400 HP, except with far less stat investment and less risk of use

finally Impact's attack animation is rather quick in comparison to other ultimates; Blade Dance is just a slow piece of shit with CRAP damage, and Severance is slightly slower and lacks all the utility that Impact has.

I hate to say it but the mace may have made the game a little TOO easy on you, but that's my fault for being shit at balancing lel
but i suppose a win is a win, so good job soloing ancient viper. Also, assuming you've beaten the final boss by now, good job soloing the game overall (if not then keep trying heh)

from your post, here are my conclusions:
- Impact is fucking OP as hell. A possible nerf: using Impact should consume all the player's stamina so that following up with a MASSIVE damage combo is impossible. This way, Impact would either be used to give players a small breather to use their Life Token, or to allow other players to attack during the stun period (i.e. Blade Dances and Severances)
- Mace's stats need to be reduced slightly; +3 STR scaling and ~340-360ish base weapon power sounds gud
- Blade Dance and Severance need some sort of utility instead of being generic "huge damage" abilities. For example, the bow's Evading Volley doesn't deal too much damage, but fills a niche with its invulnerability frames and its fast repositioning

anyway if anyone bothers to read all this shit then thanks for reading, i'm just sort of shitting out all my thoughts onto this post hohoho

Good job LOL. Our strategies were to use swords, you're probably the first to use hammer solo.
Quote from a guy: "Hammer sucks"

speaking of which, sword skills are kinda shit as they currently are and i'd really like to buff them somehow

but as of now, Based Mace™ is the king of monter

Level 3
speaking of which, sword skills are kinda shit as they currently are and i'd really like to buff them somehow

but as of now, Based Mace™ is the king of monter
I'd give sword a 9/10 and mace a 8/10. Sword's parry skill can be stacked with round strike. This combo alone is OP af lol. And yeah, I gave Hammer a 8, because for one, it doesn't have parry and it's slow. But, you could activate round strike after a single light attack, makes up for the speed loss if you ignore the second light attack. Spear, Axe, Bow, a 7 for each.

Level 2
tbh i haven't played the map since i have written the first comment about not being able to solo the last boss, i just give up when something in a game becomes too hard for me to handle in like 5 tries, i dont feel like playing something i start raging at because i play games only till they are fun for me

don't take this personal tho, the map is great, i loved searching for secrets (even when i was just looking through the comments/wiki) and i liked that it wasn't a complete walk in a park and i had to actually try to get where i got to

you get a pointless 10/10 from a random person on the internet, gratz you've earned it xD

Level 12
i just give up when something in a game becomes too hard for me to handle in like 5 tries, i dont feel like playing something i start raging at because i play games only till they are fun for me
Mildly disappointing, because this seems to be the sentiment of most players I've encountered ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dark Souls is probably one of my favorite games of all time, as I seem to have an unhealthy fetish for overcoming difficult challenges (although I'll admit to being butthurt as fuck the first time I fought capra demon, o&s, etc.). I literally made this game to replicate that feeling, i.e. the satisfaction of defeating a difficult boss, but most players seem to want everything to be a cakewalk

At some point I've actually contemplated adding an easy mode, but that would utterly kill the feeling of satisfaction from defeating the bosses, and ultimately discard one of the reasons I made this game to begin with

don't take this personal tho, the map is great
i won't take it personally, i'm glad you enjoyed it, and i'm glad you even got as far as you did

i suppose i'm just complaining about wc3 players in general, as i have nothing better to do but whine like a fagget :cry:

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

More vids
Here is me parrying a bunch of things to death
Parry+Sprint OP, fromsoft please nerf

Another:

also I just tried magic hammer and that is a glorious weapon art on that thing, nice one!

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 12
nice vids

it is a little known fact that the shield's sprinting attack has guard/parry frames; i'm pretty sure this was unintentional on my part but i said fuck it and left it in the game

also seeing Regenerate being used for anything other than healing is funny because that spell is very useless outside of its cheese applications. Regenerate is in the never-ending backlog known as "shit I need to fix but I'm too lazy to"

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

So like 30 mins after I said flame champion can't be soloed, I soloed it.
Turns out you just need to use bow.
I still believe it is basically impossible to solo with a melee weapon. However, with a bow, you get 2 attack windows - after the double flame slash and the triple combo. Applying poison (which he is extremely weak to) and then spamming retreating volley killed it, but it was still pretty hard considering bow users take 1500 damage from any of its attacks.
Only thing I couldn't consistently dodge is the bladestorm which seems totally random whether it hits me or not. There may be a consistent way to dodge the first slash, but it hits me even if I do the exact same thing as I do when I dodge it, so w/e. But I get hit less when I dodge-roll with bow than sprint with sword, and bow outputs a shit ton of dmg so I was able to kill him in only 3 bladestorms.

(edit)
I just played a pub with a spear user, he got permanently stuck and could not move hero. -suicide did not fix.
It's at the very end if the replay helps

Attachments

• stuck.w3g
    621 KB · Views: 77
Level 3
So like 30 mins after I said flame champion can't be soloed, I soloed it.
Turns out you just need to use bow.
I still believe it is basically impossible to solo with a melee weapon. However, with a bow, you get 2 attack windows - after the double flame slash and the triple combo. Applying poison (which he is extremely weak to) and then spamming retreating volley killed it, but it was still pretty hard considering bow users take 1500 damage from any of its attacks.
Only thing I couldn't consistently dodge is the bladestorm which seems totally random whether it hits me or not. There may be a consistent way to dodge the first slash, but it hits me even if I do the exact same thing as I do when I dodge it, so w/e. But I get hit less when I dodge-roll with bow than sprint with sword, and bow outputs a shit ton of dmg so I was able to kill him in only 3 bladestorms.

(edit)
I just played a pub with a spear user, he got permanently stuck and could not move hero. -suicide did not fix.
It's at the very end if the replay helps
"Melee weapons impossible"? Challenge accepted.

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

Another bug me and Lyun just got: we both died in Flame Champion, but the game did not register the fight being over and we could not forfeit

(edit)
Also if you want to buff sword skills like you said earlier, you could always return spin slash to its previous speed before it got nerfed so hard. or revert jump slash nerf.

Attachments

• LastReplay.w3g
    769.2 KB · Views: 69
Level 12
I still believe it is basically impossible to solo with a melee weapon
i'm not a big fan of telling my personal strategy of how to beat bosses because that's basically spoilers, but flame champion has some strange shit that is hard to figure out; honestly flame champ might be in the same tier as ancient viper when it comes to crappy design decisions

but i'm just gonna say that i pretty much always playtest bosses with an unupgraded weapon at level 1, and flame champ is no exception, so contrary to popular belief he can !!actually be soloed with a melee weapon!!

if you want, i may reluctantly post a solo video of him using melee but yeah SPOILERS:razz::razz:

i also cannot fucking believe the pause glitch still exists, since it occurs so rarely i have like no fucking clue how to fix it lolol

Another bug me and Lyun just got: we both died in Flame Champion, but the game did not register the fight being over and we could not forfeit

(edit)
Also if you want to buff sword skills like you said earlier, you could always return spin slash to its previous speed before it got nerfed so hard. or revert jump slash nerf.
that's another bug that i have no clue how to fix due to its extreme rarity
thanks for sending the replay though, might be able to shed some light on the issue

spin attack was nerfed for good reason, it did a fuckton of damage in proportion to its animation speed. I would personally buff spin attack in such a way that it would actually be used as an AoE attack, and not just a direct replacement of the E key. Some ideas for buffs would be:
- make the AoE of spin attack larger
- make it so the damage of the attack increases for every enemy hit or some shit IDK
- make animation speed faster, but reduce the damage it deals

jump slash was nerfed because it pretty much invalided the sprint button, it also looked super retarded just hopping around everywhere :ugly:

i've actually considered adding a weapon that emulates that ridiculous playstyle you pioneered

basically it'd be a sword, but the sprinting attack would be replaced with a non-damaging dash; it wouldn't be nearly as spammable as pre-nerf sword but it'd be great for dodging

coming never(TM)

also RIP lyun, killed by hosting bot lag

"Melee weapons impossible"? Challenge accepted.
^

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

Here's my all bosses speedrun in 1 hour 1 minute :D
I might make it a video but I wasn't recording so it'd be replay perspective
I'd definitely be impressed with seeing lvl 1 +0 weapon solo of Flame Champ. I'm pretty consistent on him now, but that's only with +2 bow at a decent level

Attachments

• All bosses.w3g
    347.1 KB · Views: 76
Level 12
Here's my all bosses speedrun in 1 hour 1 minute :D
I might make it a video but I wasn't recording so it'd be replay perspective
WewLad might as well make it a video
also tbh send me some pub replays if you have any, those are fun to watch

I'd definitely be impressed with seeing lvl 1 +0 weapon solo of Flame Champ. I'm pretty consistent on him now, but that's only with +2 bow at a decent level

Gave me canceraids but I finally did it
Perfection used mostly to drive the point home, but I also just needed to see if it was possible:mwahaha:

also PERFECTION CHALLENGE NEVER

in other news I'm getting the urge to work on this map again so I might make a post about that sooner or later

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

Wow, nice fight there.
How do you avoid the instant attacks he sometimes does? He never did it in that video, but often for me he will use an attack that seems like it should have a recovery time (like the bladestorm combo) and then immediately use a dash attack on me without any opportunity to hit
Never saved pub replays unless something weird happened :\

Most common complaints/mistakes in pub though:
- People don't pick up a weapon (unfortunately frequent...)
- People don't understand ultimate skill (why it's not available right away) and then accidentally waste it when it becomes available. Almost every new player I played with asked/did this the first time.
- Life token controls confuse them, especially when they try to revive in a boss fight and can't, or when they try to revive someone and the hero stops for some reason before getting there

Level 12
Wow, nice fight there.
How do you avoid the instant attacks he sometimes does? He never did it in that video, but often for me he will use an attack that seems like it should have a recovery time (like the bladestorm combo) and then immediately use a dash attack on me without any opportunity to hit
Never saved pub replays unless something weird happened :\
flame champion has a parry

so yes, if you attack him while he parries he does the undodgeable instant dash shit

the restriction that his parry has is that he only does it after certain moves

overall this seems to confuse most players, including veteran players, which is why I've deemed this to be a shittey mechanic that needs to be reworked :eekani::confused:2:huh::ugly:

also rip pub replays, i just want to watch pub replays because i have a simple dream - to see a pub group actually make it to the endgame without getting carried; i'm pretty sure i've quite literally never seen a 4 man group even make it to revenant before

Most common complaints/mistakes in pub though:
- People don't pick up a weapon (unfortunately frequent...)
- People don't understand ultimate skill (why it's not available right away) and then accidentally waste it when it becomes available. Almost every new player I played with asked/did this the first time.
- Life token controls confuse them, especially when they try to revive in a boss fight and can't, or when they try to revive someone and the hero stops for some reason before getting there
yeah I've pretty much seen all these mistakes in one way or another, but most players find out how the life token and ultimates work somewhat quickly, so it's not a major issue

and although there's an alarming number of people who don't get their weapons at the start of the game, sooner or later they WILL realize that they can get their equipment from the 2nd set of boxes at the checkpoint, as i rarely ever see groups defeat the first boss barehanded

either that or they'll just leave LOL

as far as I can tell, there is a certain, recurring player archetype that i've noticed: the player that says absolutely nothing, never gets his weapon, dies to the wisp, and leaves within the first 30 seconds. The first message you fuckin see is "Click question marks to display hints," and if you ignore that then there's really nothing I can do. I can't help a hopeless player who can't even make it past a very straightforward tutorial, nor do I have any desire to help such a player, because extreme handholding is just against my principles

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

That is an interesting mechanic on Flame Champion. I think he should have it, but I think it definitely needs a better animation to be clear about what he's doing. I assume the thing where he gets the Invisibility effect on himself while he stands still is that, and that animation doesn't really show what he's doing, and it's hard to connect the response to him doing that.

For a skill like that, I think he should do something like hold his sword across himself in a defensive position and get a Defend effect or something. Maybe even more, but idk what.

About pubs: I wouldn't expect a group of 4 completely new players to finish their first game. There's a huge learning curve. But hopefully playing and sucking would make them interested enough in the game to play again and learn :p. I've actually had some decent duo players. I'll sometimes do stuff like only use mace's charge attack or something to mess around so I don't carry, and I've actually had a pub duo Viper and the final boss with me and do pretty well.
Of course that doesn't apply to the guys that say "this game sucks, where is autoattack" in the first minute, but every game gets some of those people.

Level 12
For a skill like that, I think he should do something like hold his sword across himself in a defensive position and get a Defend effect or something. Maybe even more, but idk what.
that's literally what he does though (he uses the 'Stand - Ready' animation), minus the defend effect

i think the fact that his parry is instant is what confuses people; because if you attack the instant that he initiates a parry, you never actually see him in his guarding stance, which makes most people think "what the fuck just happened"

tbh I just thought of a fix, his parry should be replaced with the Demon Caster's fire shield except with an extremely shortened duration
i'd say this would be overall less confusing because not only is the immolation effect extremely conspicuous, but it would harken back to mechanics that the players already know (i.e. demon caster fire shield)

coming soon (TM)

About pubs: I wouldn't expect a group of 4 completely new players to finish their first game. There's a huge learning curve. But hopefully playing and sucking would make them interested enough in the game to play again and learn :p.
hmm yea i'm probably expecting too much, sometimes i forget that this game isn't one that you'd want to finish in a single sitting:cute:

good to know that there's a few people who actually make it to the final boss though

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

Hmm - yeah I guess my problem then is that there's no way to predict it. When you first said that, I thought it would be like he gets the effect, then a little later he goes into a parry stance for 5 sec or something. But it's actually like an instant parry for 0.3 sec or something very small. I actually really like the rest of the Flame Champion's moveset now, though. The dodge techniques are pretty counter-intuitive, but he's fun once when get it down.

I did play a pub yesterday where we went Demon Ruins before the Crypt, and actually beat Flame Champion as the 4th (or 5th) boss which was pretty cool. But he had to go before we killed the final boss. I actually was able to notice the parry this time, but I guess I couldn't do much about it.

Which leads to one more question..
Many times in the fight, one of us would Impact after the first bladestorm, then the other would also follow up with an Impact shortly after. The second Impact stun would last like 0.5 seconds before it went away. It was not being Parried. It seemed very consistent that the second impact did basically nothing, and this is true for other fights too.

Is there a global cooldown on Impact, or a limit of 1 Impact per fight?

Level 12
BUG REPORT
When a player exits the game, saved items get dropped and another player may pick it up
True, but it's not that much of an issue in this game as it is in a standard ORPG-type map. This game isn't really that long compared to an ORPG, so there isn't really much disparity between early-game and endgame equipment; the worst thing that could really happen would be giving some lvl1 noob a +3 weapon, which can be attained rather quickly

although I can see this becoming an issue in the very distant future when the game has expanded a lot, so I should probably fix this sooner or later(TM)

of course there's also the exploit of being able to dupe the fuck out of consumables, most notably Healing Salves since you can carry 99 of them, which is actually really making me feel like I should fix this. But I like to imagine only particularly savvy players would exploit this, and otherwise, most players would probably never figure this out because not many people give a hoot about this game after 1 or 2 playthroughs anyway

TL;DR - I should fix this but it's not really an urgent thing to me. Added this to my backlog of over 9 trillion bugs that I still have to fix :ask::ask::ask::ask::ask::ask::ask::ask::ask::ask::ask:

Level 12
so i haven't worked on this game in months, but i'd like to detail what i have planned for the future

basically demon ruins was kinda rushed, there's really no point in going to that area because there's no notable items in there whatsoever. I'd like to add another major area in the future, except with more neat shit to find, i.e. weapons/equipment, more interesting enemy encounters, a less incredibly linear layout etc. Of course, this means i can't simply shit out this area within the span of like 2 weeks like demon ruins

Making animations is also basically psychological torture but I managed to make a few, as seen below. What these animations are for - I'm planning on adding one new weapon for each weapon class plus a few new skills, particularly for spear/axe. This is going to take forever because i still have to make like 7 more animations lmao

TL;DR - i want to add a new major area + 5 new weapons but it's gonna take fuckin forever and i've barely even started :ask:

i'd like to release major area+new weapons update as one bigass package, but i might get impatient and release the new weapons early lol.coming 20XX

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

Vod of our playtest for 1.1.6:
Twitch

tl;dw mace is gonna get nerfed
And new weapons, that may not be attainable regularly now

Level 3
Twitch

No invite, I cri :'(

Edit: Why not spear ult be just the plain "Throw spear" ability? In exchange for its multiple repositionings due to being able to only deal full dmg at the tip. Or just like, an ult that buffs the character for 20 seconds or something?

Last edited:
Level 12
Twitch
rip mace
also you can just cheat the weapons in if you know how to do that :^)
No invite, I cri :'(
eh fuck it, I'll host a game on saturday at 9 pm EST if that's fine with you (which should be 9 am in your timezone? idk)
also, as edgeofchaos said it was just a random pub game I hosted on a whim :oops:
Edit: Why not spear ult be just the plain "Throw spear" ability? In exchange for its multiple repositionings due to being able to only deal full dmg at the tip. Or just like, an ult that buffs the character for 20 seconds or something?
yep a spear throw is basically what i had in mind for the spear ultimate
i've never considered a self-buff ultimate for the spear though, what kind of buff would it be?

Level 3
rip mace
also you can just cheat the weapons in if you know how to do that :^)

eh fuck it, I'll host a game on saturday at 9 pm EST if that's fine with you (which should be 9 am in your timezone? idk)
also, as edgeofchaos said it was just a random pub game I hosted on a whim :oops:

yep a spear throw is basically what i had in mind for the spear ultimate
i've never considered a self-buff ultimate for the spear though, what kind of buff would it be?
Maybe a buff that increases Dmg(10%), Atk speed(30%) and Movement speed(?%, its mainly because of repositioning, like what people usually complain about when using spear), basically like a "Berserk" skill.

Level 12
Maybe a buff that increases Dmg(10%), Atk speed(30%) and Movement speed(?%, its mainly because of repositioning, like what people usually complain about when using spear), basically like a "Berserk" skill.

I generally try to make weapon skills relate to the unique qualities of the weapon. that said, a generic damage boost skill does not really fit the spear's overall theme. One of the spear's unique traits is its long melee range, and i think a spear throw ultimate would highlight this trait nicely

other unique qualities of the spear include:
- ability to attack while guarding (which is useless)
- ability to inflict the Daze status effect (which is mostly useless)
- has invulnerability frames on a non-ultimate attack (which is mostly useless)

anyway, i'm going into a tangent here but spear sucks because its unique traits are not very good :pird: spear buffs coming in 20XX

as for the repositioning thing, attacking while guarding does not move the player forward at all. Too bad that attack sucks though so i might buff it sooner or later

Level 12
minor update

tl;dr -
added 3 silly weapons that you can purchase from the guy at the crypt entrance
changed battle axe ult
removed clunky 'switch ability' shite
other shit

ok bye

v1.1.8
  • Added weapon: Strider's Sword
  • Added weapon: Silver Bow
  • Added weapon: Crimson Axe
  • Replaced the Battle Axe's ultimate skill with Adrenaline (a new skill)
  • Removed 'Switch Ability' mechanic
    • Ultimate skills now use the 'D' hotkey
    • Claw Gloves are now used in the Equipment menu
  • Life Token changes
    • Life Essence no longer affects healing amount
    • Base healing of the default heal is now 500
    • Base healing of Medium Heal is now 600
    • Base healing of High Heal is now 700
    • Regenerate now heals for a flat 1500 and does not scale with intelligence
    • Energize now lasts a flat 30 seconds
    • Energize duration no longer scales with intelligence
    • Increased Shield intelligence scaling (+40 shield health/int. -> +80/int.)
    • Shield now lasts a flat 25 seconds
    • Shield duration no longer scales with intelligence
  • Mace base weapon power reduced (400 -> 350)
  • Mace scaling reduced (+4 -> +3)
  • Fixed bug where Round Strike could be performed by pressing E->R->R (for hammers)
  • Critical range of Heavy Arrows increased
  • Blade Dance animation speed is now 10% faster
  • Damage numbers are now colored red for critical shots (for the bow)
  • Re-enabled life bars
  • Adjusted some special effects for the final boss
  • Fixed animation bug related to the final boss's sprinting attack

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

Regenerate now heals for a flat 1500 and does not scale with intelligence
So you're saying I can't two shot Viper with my life token anymore? :(

Great changes to life token.
Great change to switch artifact :D
Mace is shit again just like it deserves to be.
Health bars are not helpful at all, especially when everything including all your dummy units has one D: . Gonna have to disable that now.
The "Pre-Game Screen" text no longer disappears from the screen after using -new (in solo)
Can you disable the Bandit (shop) AI in town? Sometimes he'll get in a fight with a satyr and their AIs suck against each other I guess, since they'll have a stand off or something.
Gonna play around with the meme weapons for a bit.
Zoom command when?

Axe:
- Unstable Slash tooltip still says [Battle Roar] on the Crimson Axe for the combo. That should be Harvest I guess
- Harvest seems useless? Maybe I'm just missing the purpose here.
- Crimson Axe doesn't seem any different really than battle axe

Other stuff:
- Flame Guardian's sword hits twice in the wide arc, at the very end of the swing

Level 3
incredible map just looking at the trailer
as an animator i love the way you did this, and it's actually pretty inspiring even

Level 12
incredible map just looking at the trailer
as an animator i love the way you did this, and it's actually pretty inspiring even
HEy man thanks, not many people care much for the animations in this game despite the fact that they're an incredible pain in the ass to make :mwahaha:

So you're saying I can't two shot Viper with my life token anymore? :(
correction: regenerate heals for a flat 50 hp per second, i.e. using the Everlasting Ring will still increase its overall healing by 50%
so regenerate still does like 4.5k dmg lul
Mace is shit again just like it deserves to be.
lmao
perhaps mace isn't so good in solo, but i still believe it's a fantastic weapon for 2-4 players due to its hueg burst damage + impact cheese potential
Health bars are not helpful at all, especially when everything including all your dummy units has one D: . Gonna have to disable that now.
i enabled life bars literally for the silver bow :ugly:
The "Pre-Game Screen" text no longer disappears from the screen after using -new (in solo)
noted
Can you disable the Bandit (shop) AI in town? Sometimes he'll get in a fight with a satyr and their AIs suck against each other I guess, since they'll have a stand off or something.
just kill the satyr? :cute:
Zoom command when?
S O O N
O
O
N
- Harvest seems useless
- Crimson Axe doesn't seem any different really than battle axe
you can blame me for spending 5 whole minutes on playtesting with crimson axe

i just did a more comprehensive playtest with the weapon (i.e. fighting all the bosses) and i can confidently say that harvest is indeed a piece of POOP

the idea behind the weapon was to split the axe into two playstyles: the "vitality gouge" playstyle and the "keep health low as fuck" playstyle. Harvest lifesteal is pretty dank because the lifesteal amount is dependent on maximum health, whereas Bloodlust lifesteal is just a percentage of the damage that you deal. So in other words, Harvest can potentially allow you to heal all your health even with 4000 hp

There are two main issues with harvest:
- it fucking lasts 12 seconds, which is not nearly enough time for endgame bosses that barely give you any attack opportunities. Keep in mind that Everlasting Ring increases the time to 18 sec and I was still having a hard time utilizing this skill
- expending 66% maximum hp is way too much lol, i'm gonna change it to like 20-30% or something
- Flame Guardian's sword hits twice in the wide arc, at the very end of the swing
it's [the current year] and i still haven't fixed this

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

just kill the satyr? :cute:
Gotta go fast, no time for satyrs

so regenerate still does like 4.5k dmg lul
HMM so it means my regenerate build is just even easier to setup.
Incoming viper 4 man regen cheeses.
I'm seriously gonna do that in pubs.

I tried editing animations for my boss-fighting maps and made really shitty looking basic ones, so I definitely respect that work. The most animating I do now is like, editing it by adding more frames for delayed attacks LUL. How did you learn to do that anyways? I've found no decent tutorials on animating. If I could, I'd love to make things like backstab/parry/riposte animations. I think though, that animations are one of the things that players will only notice if they're bad, so getting no comments on them may be a good thing :p

Can't really cheese with impact when it has global CD over the entire duration of the fight
And impact's literally the only thing mace is good for, sword out-dpses and out-defends it in every other way, so at most should have 1 mace user.

I might like the skill if it did something like this..
- Up to 50% of max HP consumed (cannot kill). More HP drained gives higher effects of the following:
- Upgrade lifesteal amount
- Increase attack speed, movement speed, and stamina regeneration considerably
- Lasts 4-8 seconds
- Instant or very fast cast time
So then it's like a burst damage + healing. Turn it on during an attack period and hit him repeatedly with the bonus attack speed.

Tbh idk if I even like my old strider-sword-like playstyle anymore. I think I prefer parry+barrier mode now, it's even more cheesy. And strider sword ult was pretty bad in our test, don't know if it's any better now. Silver bow's the only one I haven't tried.

Level 3
Strider's Sword can be pretty OP if the 'evade' cost is too low, since it can travel through enemies. But for now its too high XD. Good idea for the ult, but it is kind of lacking since parry and evade does similar things, except evade has no damage. But it does pretty damn good for a hit and run.

I haven't tried Silver Bow yet, since I had no interest in bow, but pretty cool in our last session, it plays really well for a support type, so I don't think any changes are needed for that.

For Crimson Axe, Harvest, as you stated, is pretty useless based on those two points lol.

Level 12
lateposting because i'm lazy lol
I tried editing animations for my boss-fighting maps and made really shitty looking basic ones, so I definitely respect that work. The most animating I do now is like, editing it by adding more frames for delayed attacks LUL. How did you learn to do that anyways? I've found no decent tutorials on animating. If I could, I'd love to make things like backstab/parry/riposte animations. I think though, that animations are one of the things that players will only notice if they're bad, so getting no comments on them may be a good thing :p
i'm no expert, and all i really did was try to recreate animations from other games (monster hunter, dank souls, soul calibur, fucking smash bros etc.) this basically entailed me finding footage of animations in said games, and attempting to 1:1 recreate them in Mdlvis. I literally just did this until I actually had a decent grasp on how to make an animation myself without relying too heavily on references. Some of the earliest animation i've made can be seen in monter 1,which look like total dick

perhaps this isn't the best advice because it probably took me like 3 years to get my animations to look acceptable LOL, it was mostly just me casually making animations for my maps and it just happened over time. don't think i even watched any tutorials tbqh

Can't really cheese with impact when it has global CD over the entire duration of the fight
And impact's literally the only thing mace is good for, sword out-dpses and out-defends it in every other way, so at most should have 1 mace user.
dps is a bit of a nonsensical concept in a game where you're restricted to damaging the boss in short intervals, given stamina consumption and the boss's attack windows. essentially, a weapon's effectiveness is mostly measured by (a) how much burst damage it can deal and (b) the utility skills that it has that allow it to deal that burst damage (though there are some exceptions, like poison arrows/regen memeing)

i've never really extensively looked into which weapons have the best solo kill times, but i've honestly not seen a massive performance disparity between any of the weapons. Sure, some weapons perform better on certain bosses but no weapon is outright shit as you seem to insist

i played some solo with mace and it wasn't even that bad: it's just that the playstyle of hammers is vastly different from the "mash E to win" strategy of the other weapons. hammer basically revolves around the use of charge attack which demands a lot of anticipation of the boss's movements (i.e. boss behaviors are predictable to some degree). Hammer also only has one fucken utility skill, Enduring Spirit, which actually gives you a lot more attack opportunities than you would think. you just have to be slightly creative in your usage of this skill in order for it to actually be effective

also tl;dr - hammer defense force

I might like the skill if it did something like this..
- Up to 50% of max HP consumed (cannot kill). More HP drained gives higher effects of the following:
- Upgrade lifesteal amount
- Increase attack speed, movement speed, and stamina regeneration considerably
- Lasts 4-8 seconds
- Instant or very fast cast time
So then it's like a burst damage + healing. Turn it on during an attack period and hit him repeatedly with the bonus attack speed.
increasing attack speed and walking movement speed is actually a surprising pain in the ass so i don't think i;ll do that, i can do a simple damage multiplier though

Tbh idk if I even like my old strider-sword-like playstyle anymore. I think I prefer parry+barrier mode now, it's even more cheesy. And strider sword ult was pretty bad in our test, don't know if it's any better now. Silver bow's the only one I haven't tried.
spiral slash's animation speed is much faster now
i may have even increased its damage slightly but i forgot

Strider's Sword can be pretty OP if the 'evade' cost is too low, since it can travel through enemies. But for now its too high XD. Good idea for the ult, but it is kind of lacking since parry and evade does similar things, except evade has no damage. But it does pretty damn good for a hit and run.
might lower dash cost to increase its spammability, but at the end of the day doing consecutive dashes is a bit pointless as you can get away from an attack with just One dash usually

still debating on whether or not to give dash iframes huhuhuhuhuh

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

I'm definitely seeing some Dark Souls™ inspiration in that greatsword! It looks great, would you ever add that item to Monter2?

Level 12
I'm definitely seeing some Dark Souls™ inspiration in that greatsword! It looks great, would you ever add that item to Monter2?

yea i would, but it would need to reach my bare minimum standard to be considered a "complete" weapon

my standard would be something like:
- 2 light attack (E) animations
- 1-2 heavy attack (R) animations
- 1 sprinting attack animation
- at least two special skills (stuff like E-E-R, E+R etc.)
- 1 ultimate skill

so in other words i'd have to add at least like 3-4 more animations, don't think it'd be that hard tbh

i actually had plans to add a completed version of the ravager blade but i think it'd be too similar to this proposed greatsword, but we'll see:ain: