1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Modelling Contest #25 - Ascension

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Kyrbi0, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I did, and somehow something went wrong.

It was all like...

I'm working... working... exporting file
    AND THEN SUDDENLY NOPE.

Oh, you were working on that? CUTE LOLOLOLOL ,,!,

So anyway, I've decided to just buckle down and rework the animations. I'll add pictures to this post as I complete them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  2. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Cool cool. For the Beastmaster's SFX-less anims... I realized that's not a bad point at all, and in fact, many times the SFX is provided by the spell, not the caster (Blizzard models, even heroes, often eschew unit-based SFX for spell-based SFX). So really, leaving them sparse or empty isn't a bad idea. Good thinking. :p

For the arm/weapon... Yeah, kinda tough. Like I said, you can't go wrong with (slightly-more Heroic) Shaman Claws. Then again, due to the parallels between this guy and the Protoss Zealot, maybe he could have some kind of jewel on there (perhaps the crystallized Eye(s) of the Alpha Wolf?), or some kind of "Storm/Spirit Talisman".

<3

Umm... So a a "few Plague abilities -> Plague Knight" is too deviating, but a "few Fire abilities -> Fire Knight" isn't? Ok... :p

Anyway, it was not really meant so much a drastic change; more like a minor flavor. Either way, it's looking cool.

I would say go with the Lich, as it's more Heroic and exciting. Or maybe "simple jaw movements" for the basic talking, and then the "special" portrait anims have some moving/stretching.

Aw crud, that really stinks. My condolences go out to his next of kin. :< (Not having used those particular programs, I'm surprised; is there no way to save a WIP or a draft, like on an e-mail or something?)

More power to ya!

3. Deolrin

Deolrin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Try to break that mindstate. Go BEYOND what you're comfortable with. Compare your texture to Blizzard textures, and try to imitate them. That's the best way, in my opinion, to improve. More contrast is better; more details are also great.
    ...That said, your latest WIP is looking nice. Try to touch up the axe and skull a bit; They're the weak parts, at the moment, I think. The lack of golden trimming and stuff on the axe, and the greenish coloration of the skull look a bit off.
    Oh, and sorry about that export error. Those animations did look pretty good. :(
    Next time, do a backup first! :p

4. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Alright, currently done animations are Stand, Walk, and Attack 1.
    Attack 1 still needs a little polishing. I've never animated anything like this before so It's taking longer than expected.

5. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Are you using Ik, Fk, Biped or a CAT?

6. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    So I'm half way done with the animations. I'll do the rest tomorrow.

I'll be revamping the "Spell Slam" animations, and doing two channel animations. The normal one you saw earlier, and a more advanced one, where the Warlord is levitating.
    I'm considering adding in an extra walk animation, for a potential on-hit ability, where the Warlord drags his axe along the ground.

Also, I've tried to do multiple versions of animations, plus a Bladestorm spin animation, and a shoulderbash/knockback kick. Maybe this time around I'll add in an axe-pull and a force-pull. I'll be recreating the first death animation, aswell, where the Warlord is simply too strong to hit the ground when he dies. Instead, he'll stumble, and THEN dissipate. I'm considering doing two of these aswell, one where he ascends to the heavens, and another where a fissure opens and drags him downwards, to somewhere horrible.

7. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Complete FK rig, with a few helpers. Biped doesn't fit the model, I didn't think of trying CAT, and I was contemplating using some IK solvers but it wasn't worth it in this particular rig. Attack 2 is now finished. Attack 3 and several more are next.

EDIT: Good news everyone!
    I actually will be able to definitely finish my submission due to recent developments. I won't be able to do anything next week but after that I will have enough time to finish and polish up animation. I'll also have time to improve the texture, because it most certainly needs it.

Animation Glamour Shot
    [​IMG]

Picture of the Rig
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  8. Chen

Chen

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    And here is my second WIP. Don't say I'm copying Sin'dorei's idea. This is a hero necrolyte(a creep from the tileset Sunken Ruins) and its more than a Necromancer than a Warlock.

Attached Files:

9. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    looking awesome so far. and the texture improved a lot. but still i have some suggestions:

ve2.jpg

maybe define a middle line on the golden contours of his armor to give it a more vibrant highlight (not sure if that's wc3-like, but makes it more appealing)

the bear paw needs more depth. add highlights with layers of white lines and glows in 'overlay' mode, it works. and shadows with black 'multiply' layers (or even 'normal'). you could work the encounter between the paw and the claws better, locating them and applying some shading from where they come from, that would be nice.

the gloves might become more appealing with more drastic highlights. (that applies to many parts of the armor as well)

maybe going for some engraved details on the armor will totally raise your model's standard. i showed as example some generic runes, not that i think that's an appropriate theme.

okay, i promise this is the last time i do this unless you ask for help :p

10. Kwaliti

Kwaliti

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I might reskin that model of yours one day, Vermillion. I'm really itching to make something.

11. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    you would have actually benefitted more by using IK systems in there, to be honest. Animating that thing in FK seems like a lot of pain.

12. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    It's actually not too hard. However, where do you think I should have put IK systems?

13. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Everything except the chest, pelvis, root bone.

14. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    So I've managed to export the model, and done a few things. My Magos doesn't show ingame textures, they simply don't exist to the program, so I can't test the look of team color myself. Plus, I think the lighting in mine may be a bit off.

Anyway, here you go, before I start finalizing the thing.

15. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    hmm, you should really work out those animations, they appear to be made in a rush. Specialy the walk animation, it's way too noisy, needs some consistency. Also try to make the slams more impacting and agressive.

16. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Yeah, I intend to rework a whole bunch of them, I just wanted to get the basics out there and see if it exported properly.

Anyway, is the TC and lighting normal from your view?

17. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Yeah they are there, so no worries about it.

18. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I don't have too much experience with character animation. To be honest, the reason I didn't do a more complex rig is because I don't know how to make a full IK rig. I should look it up.

19. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    So, if you could just list the animations that could use a touch-up, it'd be appreciated.

20. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    All of them seem a little stiff and unsmooth. Fix that and they will get much better.