1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Modelling Contest #25 - Ascension

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Kyrbi0, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Ah ah, very cool then. (I've seen your other models & I was worried for a bit :p). Lookin' forward to it.

~~~

My mega-post, which got lost in the pages: here

2. Chen

Chen

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    My idea is a an hero orc warlock (like Gul'dan). I'll post it later

3. stonneash

stonneash

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Looks good and good quality, but the wrap on the snakes is weird
    Edit:
    I would like to remove my entry, am currently busy with School and have to focus on getting good grades.

4. General Frank

General Frank

3D Modeling Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    What happened to the Furbolg Ursa idea? I though it was much cooler...

5. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Aw dang, sorry to hear that. Well, thanks for joining, and good luck with that; grades are definitely more important than modding. :p

But definitely keep some of those WIPs; you had some solid ideas. For example, I'd love to see that original Tauren-dude get fleshed out; he'd make a great Gladiator.

Yeah, Furbolg Ursa sounds waaay cool. Besides, Sin'dorei has already got this covered pretty well, so while there's no rule about repeat-entries, I'm definitely excited to see something else. : )

Good to have you.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  6. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    So I've been focusing mostly on the animations, and I haven't touched the texture so far. I intend to give my model a wide variety of animations to make it useful in any number of roles, but my main focus will be on its four ability animations, and a good number of attack animations, using each one of the blades on the axe, and more.

That aside, I'm having trouble with the contrast. Any more and it'll be far, far too bright for me to be comfortable with.

7. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I'm having trouble with animations to. I have no idea how I'm going to get them all done by the deadline. Next week I will have absolutely no time to spend on animation, and this may continue on for up to a whole nother week. After that when I'll have the ability to animate again is anyone's guess. In the best possible scenario I'll be able to continue in two weeks. In the worst possible scenario I won't be able to finish my entry.

8. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Sounds cool. Look forward to seeing some interesting animations. You should have one where he balances it on his hand for a second. :p (like, pommel-on-palm, teetering in the air)

Also, with the textures... Unfortunately, you'll have to ask a real artist. But I figure if you take a look at some existing Wc3 textures, try and copy/paste some mock-ups of what could be used, *that* is the kind of style this contest is talking about.

Eesh, that's not good. Well, a half-finished entry is better than no entry... If worse comes to worse, maybe just cut & paste some existing animations on him? I know there's not a lot of similarly-meshed units (nothing I can think of with spider-y legs like that...), but you could certainly do a mix of the Lich (pretend he just uses his claws to float) and Dreadlord/Doom Guard (give the shoulder-hook-wings some motion).

9. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    You know what I'm going to sit down and animate the damn thing this very night. I've procrastinated for too long.

10. Chen

Chen

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I was using the Ursa warrior in my Furbolg campaign so I can't be able to join with it. And I cant put many improvements in it. Don't worry I can post it right after the contest.

11. Chen

Chen

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    And here is my first wip in the Orc Necrolyte.

Attached Files:

12. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    o_O

More power to ya. Just don't kill yourself.

Ah, good point. Well, why you could always re-make it for the contest (easier now that you know what to do, and you can always improve upon it), I can respect wanting to try something new.

Just... Let us know if you get bored of that one, since we do already have a Warlock-in-the-works.

On that note, it's looking good; nice posture, though the hood doesn't match the shoulder-cloth.

13. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    That of course didn't mean I can animate it all in one night. I'm still very worried I won't finish. I think I can finish walk and attack 1.

14. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I'm nearly finished with the core animations. Finalizing the model is gonna be fun, considering how long its been since I've done it last.

Take a look.

Attached Files:

15. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Beautiful. Just beautiful. Love the Roar, and I'm surprised no one has thought of a spell anim like that "Channel" is.

On a side note, I really don't think you need to resort to "was burned in a fire -> has fire spells" as a way to explain his hair loss or something silly like that. This is Warcraft! Also, all the skulls (skelly warrior, mage, archer, etc) are lacking hair; that just happens naturally over time. Also, ice can remove hair. Or disease. Heck, make him a "Plague Knight", or a sort of "Third/First Horseman" (i.e. pestilence).

16. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    That channel pose actually came from something I picked up a few years back, when I started meditating, as a way to curb my excessive paranoia and anger.

On another note, I don't really want to deviate from the simple 'Skeleton Warrior' concept too much, so turning him into a plague knight is off the table. However, I think I WILL release alternate versions later on.

Also, I've made his jaw move and stretch a bit, like the Lich, should I go with that when he talks, or simple jaw movements, like from regular skeletons?

17. WhiteDeath

WhiteDeath

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I currently have no idea what to put on his hands to indicate weapons, I will see if I can come up with something.

The animations are the beastmaster's with some editing to make them look better and fit the model and a few animations that I added. I left those two animations without SFX so that people have the option of adding abilities that are not necessarily spirit based. However most people will probably be unwilling to waste time triggering SFX so I will add SFX to those animations as well.

The wolf head is supposed to be big and it has to be so that it can cover up his shoulder completely - his shoulder is quite big thus the thing covering it is big. I will try to reduce the wolf face a bit but there is no way to actually reduce the shoulder pad.

The character is supposed to be a grand/high shaman, a normal shaman becomes a high shaman by performing "The Task". He has to go in to the "Orky Forest" find a pack of giant timber wolves and kill their alpha. This has to be done unarmed, so that he proves his endurance, strength and shamanic skills. Naturally very few shamans pass and a lot of wolves get overfed on not so smart shamans. He can than wear the alpha timber wolf's head on his shoulder as proof, basically the wolf shoulder is his diploma.
    The claws that he creates are not lightning based, they are spirit based, giving him the advantage of being able to strike through most armor. The claws however have the disadvantage to not be able to block weapons so the shaman basically has to soak up the damage, thus the heavy scaring.

The channel animation is supposed to be a trance state where he either buffs up or heals himself, when you are unarmored and have no way to block sharp stuff you have to learn to heal yourself.

18. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    So, ah. Funny story.

Thanks to my bumbling, rusted skills, I seem to have screwed up somewhere along the line, and the export fucked up all the animations. That I worked all day on. All day. Excuse me, I need to go find something to break. With my bare hands.

I'd tell you how it goes, but I'd rather not narrate all the high-volume obscenities I intend to blurt out.

19. General Frank

General Frank

3D Modeling Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Rusty skills? Are you insane? Those look totally awesome.
    A shame about the animations, but the next ones going to be more awesome.

20. Kwaliti

Kwaliti

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Don't tell me you forgot to run Zero Joints.