• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Mini-Contest #5 - Poll

Vote for your favourite entries! (You can choose a max. of 3)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

modeling.png
mini-.png
contest.png
number.png
5.png

poll.png

06b-jpg.260841

Art by vidagr.deviantart.com

Familiar

Contestants are meant to model a pet familiar unit - which is a secondary companion - to a hero of their choice among the ones existing in WC3.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Each user can only vote once in the poll.
  • You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
  • You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
  • You cannot bribe users for votes. Contestants who break this rule will be disqualified and given negative reputation.
  • It is forbidden for participants to update their entries while the poll and/or judging are in course.
prizes.png

• First Place: 30 reputation points and your entry on an award icon.
  • Second Place: 20 reputation points
  • Third Place: 10 reputation points

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

• 80% of the final score shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
    • Score shall be taken out of 50 points,
      • 10 points for mesh (polygon distribution, anatomy, topology)
      • 10 points for animations* (correct motion, physical accuracy, adequacy)
        • *Or how well were blizzard animations applied (how adequate is the choice, and how unexpected is it. Is the resemblance to the original too obvious? And are there any glitches?)
      • 10 points for skin* (definition, shading & highlights, warcraftishness)
        • *Or how well blizzard textures are used (how different textures go well together in color, resolution, and how unexpected is the choice. Does it have too many seams? Is is blurry?)
      • 5 points for mechanics (how well does this model work ingame)
      • 5 points for effects (appropriate use of particles, ribbons, events. their quality and measure.)
        • When the judge concludes effects aren't totally applicable to a specific entry (in case the entry lacks effects, but doesn't need them), the criterion's weight may be reduced until 0 by him. In this case, the maximum score is reduced to until 45 to that entry. (Being 45/45 the same as 50/50)
      • 10 points for creativity (how adequate to the theme it is, how coherent/consistent is the idea, how creatively thought it is)
  • 20% of the final score shall be determined by the percentage of votes on a this poll.
    • The poll should permit users to vote in at most 3 entries. (One third of the number of total entries)
    • Users are able to see the poll votes before voting.
  • The following contestants should have 5 points discounted from their final score due to having submitted their entries after the deadline was reached: HappyCockroach, Mike, PROXY.

judges.png

• The_Silent
  • General Frank

disclaimer.png

Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with rep and otherwise cheating with the poll system will get you DISQUALIFIED, BANNED from future contests, and possibly INFRACTED. So don't do it!

This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you (hopefully) over PMs.​

entries.png

The following list features each Contestant, their Entry, and the Base Hero they chose to assign the familiar to.

ContestantEntryBase Hero
DirefuryGeistDeath Knight
FreddykGoblin BookwormGul'dan
HappyCockroachMescalitoShadow Hunter
HayateSnow MountrillaMountain King
Kyrbi0Mojo MaskShadow Hunter
MikeBattyTichondrius
PROXYNightprowlerDemon Hunter
Stefan.KSalamanderBeastmaster
TraggeyBaby Gryphon CourierMountain King

The poll will conclude on the 3rd of April, 2017.
The contest thread can be found here.

Last edited:
Im no kidding Im rooting for Kyrbi0's Mojo Mask, like, his one is perfect fit for the theme, and suitable for shadow hunter, Kyrbi0 might think he will get last but I bet that he won't get the last

Bookworm is also very nice, where it feels like it is indeed working for Gul'dan, functionally it make sense

Proxy's Nightprowler looks really slick and awesome, I really like it, and the idea of corrupted blind nightsabre is just fitting for a blind hero.

while Baby Gryphon Courier is also very fit for the theme, model, animation and texture are all supreme (and I love gryphons), and adorable (I havent tested) but feel like the quality is too high and it not really suit in Warcraft Environment, and Im not sure but it seems like doesnt (Or not?) related to mounting king too much. but is not like mine also related much as well

Geist is indeed badass, not much to say, but then.. is it a lil overkill?

Mescalito is a really interesting one, everything is nice and great, but but, i like mask more, sorry

Batty is cool, abomination, and the idea of it, but then I think the Garghoul looks is still look very Garghoul would be nice if it is more deform

Salmander looks nice, but i feels abit like... squished?

Level 50
I just voted for Happy's Mescalito, Direfury's Geist and Traggey's Gryphon. I like this entries the most. I think Direfury made his best model so far, using both low polygons and some nice animations, even though I mentioned I don't like him having wings but that's the author's idea. I think he nailed that ghoul feel the first time I saw wip from him.
Now, mescalito. The mesh is nice, nice use of in game animations, I like the animations, very unique attack animation, though I maybe would give it to the other hero as a companion; I don't know I just can't see it as a companion to a SH.
Now for the baby gryphon I do agree here with the Hayate. Even though Traggey did great job both mesh and texture vise, I don't think it will fit well in game with the other models. And yeah, that flaw with his mouth also really bugs me because of the portrait. The animations are also great and the idea for the MK is nice using a gryphon courier.
I can't say I dislike other entries but this are my favorites, other people did great job aswell. Good luck, fellas. :)

I'd just like to quickly address that whole 'overkill' thing, about the wings of my Geist.

I wanted to make sure that not only was my entry thematically tied to the Death Knight, but also had unique animations meant for ingame interactions between master and minion. Such as a Death Coil temporarily empowering(Morphing) the Geist, or Death Pact causing it to explode in death.

That is why those are there.

Level 9
@Traggey
Put my vote on you cuz you good
Earn all the goods cuz you good!
Ruin other entries cuz you good!
Fly through the night with that Gryphon cuz you good!
Eh how awesome? cuz you good!
Crying now you don't see but you good!
Tears in my eyes you choke me. cuz you good!

Now, mescalito. The mesh is nice, nice use of in game animations, I like the animations, very unique attack animation, though I maybe would give it to the other hero as a companion; I don't know I just can't see it as a companion to a SH.
Thank you, but you meant in-game textures? Because the animations are all from scratch xD

And regarding my vote, I voted for Traggey and Freddyk, mainly because they really captured the spirit of the contest, making very creative and fitting familiars. Both are simple units that are unique, have a clear utility and fit very well their corresponding heroes. And since the execution at both is great, I had no doubt in voting for them. Not that there aren't other high-quality entries, because there were, but I think those two were the best concept-wise.

Level 50
Thank you, but you meant in-game textures? Because the animations are all from scratch xD

And regarding my vote, I voted for Traggey and Freddyk, mainly because they really captured the spirit of the contest, making very creative and fitting familiars. Both are simple units that are unique, have a clear utility and fit very well their corresponding heroes. And since the execution at both is great, I had no doubt in voting for them. Not that there aren't other high-quality entries, because there were, but I think those two were the best concept-wise.
Oh damn, I meant in game textures, how could I have mistaken that :O.

Level 28
My vote goes to Freddyk, HappyCockroach and PROXY, as their entries were the ones whose concepts better got my attention while fitting the theme of a "sidekick" to a regular hero. I tried voting for one only, but I enjoyed their concepts, models, animations and use of textures of each one of them so much that I just couldn't =P However Mescalito could've had a physical attack animation, but that's part of the concept I guess.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
DANGIT. I knew it closed today but I should have checked the times. Closed!

The Geist & Baby Gryphon were definitely two of the best entries, but I was gonna be a bit contrary & vote elsewise... I really liked the Mescalito for several reasons, and probably would have split my last two votes between the Prowler, the Gorilla, and the Bookworm (exceedingly simple in comparison, but so cute & elegant in that simplicity. Also Best Name)

Thanks to the 5 of you who voted for my ridiculous entry. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.