• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Competition #9 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 45
Modeling Competition #9 Results/Outcome

1st - Pyramidhe@d
2nd - DonDustin
3rd - Dan van Ohllus
Runner up-Skrab
Dan van Ohllus's Venom Mephit
Final entry

Texture layout/look/feel/match: The texture layout seems too green. I mean, not that it cant be green, more of the fact it was badly tinted green. Overall the combinations of the textures are okay, its not that appealing.
6/10

Model form: The form is okay, I understand its based on the Blizzard gargoyle but its far too ridget-like and lanky. It doesn't seem balanced and has loss of detail in certain areas. Most of the model is just simple parts combined together than hidden with wrap, not that very skilled.
7/10

Animations: Whats to say about the animations? Well, they are basically blizzard animations so it gets the default of :
6/10

Overall appeal:
Its okay, but its far too uneven in detail and feel. It still looks far too much like a winged orc.
7/10

Theme: It fits okay, but the smoke makes it seem more like a genie with wings, thus adding to the sense its hovering. Overall it fits, but it would of fitted better.
7/10

33 + (10/32)*50 = 33 + 15.625 = 48.625

DonDustin's Batorc

Final entry
Ingame screenshot

Texture layout/look/feel/match:The texture layout fits very nicely. Good usage of Blizz material and wraps.
9/10

Model form: I like the model form, its very lovely and strong. However I can really tell its based on the grom, so its not very unique. Most of it is simple whack together though.
7/10

Animations: Whats to say about the animations? Well, they are basically blizzard animations so it gets the default of :
6/10

Overall appeal:
The model looks very appealing even if it is a simple geoset/merge. Making a grom based flying unit with gargoyle animations is ...not that bad overall. It utilizes well enough.
7/10

Theme: It fits nicely, a flying orc unit taking upon the form/appearance of a bat similar to the shaman but made to fly is neat.
9/10
38 + (7/32)*50 = 38 + 10.9375 = 48.9375

Pyramidhe@d's Shroom Heavy Bomber Squad

Final entry

Texture layout/look/feel/match: The texture is nice and suits well enough, abit low quality here and there. Could use a tad more colour variation though.
7/10

Model form: Scratch built model, done very nicely, some bits are abit low poly, could use more model detail but it fits in nicely with the wc3 system and is still appealing.
7/10

Animations: The animations are nice, the spell is abit ...weird and slow, i really dislike that. The rest are acceptable but could use more motion than simple rotations and in and outs.
7/10

Overall appeal: The overall appeal is good, not great but good. It's not that unique but its still rather quirky and something to admire in a sense. The overall model looks sufficient in nearly all standards but alot could be improved on.
7/10

Theme: It fits with the theme nicely, as it is of course a flying unit, but it could use more additions to that theme than simply floating or hovering. We really need strong implications that its a flying unit possible by gas entrails or flags/banners in the wind.
6/10

34 + (11/32)*50 = 34 + 17.1875 = 51.1875

Skrab's Scavenger Dragon

Final entry
Ingame screenshot (+ older version)

Texture layout/look/feel/match: The use of the dragon texture made the model seem very re-used or recycled. The wrap is fairly clean but it would of been better to use a less obvious texture.
7/10

Model form: The model form is lovely, a far more appealing shape than most models I have seen. Its very slim, realistic and fits well, its proportions are lovely and the detail of the model is laid out in a good manner.
9/10

6/10

Overall appeal: I like the model, its very appealing, although it does seem abit repetitive and not very unique, its like a new version of the blizzard dragon.
7/10

Theme: It fits very well, although the dragon is stooped over abit too much which makes it look like its hovering/flying at a low level but thats hardly worth mentioning as it doesnt impact much but what else is there to say? It flies and it flies well, goodjob.
8/10

37 + (4/32)*50 = 37 + 6.25 = 43.25
Judging by Werewulf with...lots of help from Pyritie by sorting out the formula thing. (im not ever doing this again so you can all be relieved.)

Status
Not open for further replies.