• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modding info so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snatched from www.starcraft-bunker.com

--------------------------------------------------
General Information
-The new map editor is called “Scumedit” and promises the communtiy the same tools the developers used.
-Blizzard is using Photoshop for texturing.
-Blizzard is using 3D Studio Max for modelling.
-Blizzard is using a self made program called “StarTools” to intergrate custom arts into the game. This program will be released to the communtiy and will sync perfectly with the new improved world editor.
-Starcraft is built on a Direct X9 engine, uses per pixel lighting, normal mapping, high dynamic rane bloom, rendering and tone mapping, as well as intergrated havoc physics.
-Approximately 300 units on screen at once should be possible.
-The protoss Zealot model uses 1500 polygons.

Terrain
(Concept arts of terrain can be found on blizzard's main starcraft 2 website)

Three titelsets have been announced:
-A protoss forested temple world called Bel’Shir
+Features Stone arches and rocky structures.
-The terran space platform called Braxis Alpha shown in the demo videos
+The space platform use heavy industrial structures, energy pipes, generators and exhaust vents
-The fierce Zerg world of Char.
+Bone finger structures extending from the earth, fleshy fins, and lava canyons for Char.
--------------------------------------------------

Do come with input if you have any info not displayed here.

Level 17
Sewers in FPS games only rock if something monstrous lives there, if it's a game like XIII for instance (A rather cartoony game on Xbox) then it would suck, as the theme for XIII is mainly bank robberies and so forth, while on Halo 2 and Half Life 2 sewers rock, as do lava worlds in fantasy games like Starcraft and Gears of War (An excellent game for the Xbox 360) although the underground lava isn't ever so muchly lava. You can only say they suck if the game isn't themed on Monsters for Sewers and Fire for Lava. End of story!

Level 5
Yay! In a few months we can remake Starcraft Phantom using actual blizz models!!

...I don't actually know if I'm happy or not. :/

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Also by the fact they now have implimented propper shadows and soap bubble effects and such, one can expect there will be a function that can influence them. With shadows one should be able to set light source direction which would rock for all you teraners (not confirmed but lightly since it requires not much work). As for spell makers, you should be able to use the soap bubble effect (which is a destortion of light and/or colour) to make impresive blackholes, cloaking effects, time stops and even deathbeams (unconfirmed but possiable, eithor by a function or by a unit model). Also the new lighting systems could allow for cool lighting effects for survival map giving SWAT AM and DOTD or NOTD a new meaning with green glows and dark fog that unlike WC3 might not fade if far away (unlikly but still possiable with modern lighting).

Next to that the map size probably will be increased for battle net to 10 MB (I hope 100MB+). (Extremely lightly to allow for higher res models but still probably will be too little for total conversions)

Level 7
When I saw the space platform with all the industrial scape I was like OMG mega good!! So well made!

Level 6
Though will the Starcraft II map editor be able to compete with the Warcraft III map editor in terms of the maps that comes out've this? I'm sure the TD maps won't have any problem adjusting, but blizzard has announced a hero class unit yet have they? So there might be some drawbacks getting used to the old way we made maps on Starcraft and Warcraft 2 without units that can't level up.

Level 3
TheSecretArts said:
O.O sounds awesome, any word on the scripting language?

It is confirmed that it will be part C, and they have revealed it's gonna have a GUI. I sure hope they would polish it up. Read about it at www.sc2armory.com for more info

Level 7
Bloody thief.

And Terran_Up is a very ingenious man. He's just... misunderstood.

brad.dude03 said:
WILLTHEALMIGHTY said:
They're copying Terran_up's idea of physics in RTS!

OMG! SEE! SOMEONE WAS INTERESTED IN HIS PROJECT(S)!

Well, this is good, but they should make GMAX compatible as well. I can't be bothered to buy 3dsmax 9.
Yeah, except that Terran_Up is a total jackass....
How do you think i feel... i have him for a project manager on a game were creating... <www.projects.samods.org>

Level 13
I am soo soory for you... i hope it goes well, i really do... your gona need all the luck you can get to pull it off. Terran has a bad rep for starting projects but never finishing them.

Level 4
Actually, I haven't seen any gameplay applications of physics in SC2 yet- just graphical enhancements mainly. Additionally, GTW was about far more than merely physics, but obviously none of you took the time to realize that so I won't bore you with the details.

In terms of my maps, I'm sure you're all aware because you're so well-informed that I didn't protect WarCraft Maul: Remade and there are plenty of versions of that going around with my name on them which I did not make. I should also probably mention it was my first serious map.

Btw, when you actually find some evidence that I did any spamming at all on wc3c, I'll be happy to actually have a discussion on that issue. But given that there's evidence contradicting wc3c's initial claims that I was supposedly going around as a certain member by the name of... Onwer? ... I don't think you'll have an easy time finding evidence that doesn't exist.

Really now, I start one project, and after a year put it on hold, and I get a reputation for failing to finish projects? I'll be sure to keep you updated on this little project then- http://www.samods.org/SAGame

Status
Not open for further replies.