• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[MOD] Dawn of Legends

Status
Not open for further replies.

116571-albums6726-picture73657.png

OVERVIEW

116571-albums6726-picture101650.png

WANNA HELP?

116571-albums6726-picture101651.png

THE FACTIONS

116571-albums6726-picture101603.png

SCREENSHOTS

Flame Sworn UI

Umbra Clan UI

Astrum Eri UI

This is not final. Trying to see if streams of falling fire would fit a pheonix. You can also see the spell aoe circle.

116571-albums6726-picture101698.jpg

Flame Sworn buildings have to be built on firegrass. Their workers (the Archmage is a placeholder model) will channel and after a while will turn a tree into a treant that will go sacrifice itself to the nearest town hall.

116571-albums6726-picture101731.jpg

This screenshot shocases the Ancient Vampire's attack, which leeches blood from non-mechanical targets. I think I managed to get a rather nice-looking spell aoe circle for the Umbra Clan.

116571-albums6726-picture101699.jpg

Taskmasters will load up inside the mines and after a varying amount of time a minecart will exit the mine and roll over to the nearest town hall. The more Taskmasters, the faster the minecarts appear. Taskmasters can recruit Thralls. The more Thralls there are, the greater the amount of gold in the carts.

116571-albums6726-picture101732.jpg

Okay, I know what you're thinking - but keep in mind the Astrum Eri are supposed to be technologically advanced. Technomagic elves, yknow? :p This shows the Channeller's line attack.

116571-albums6726-picture101700.jpg

Here you can see how the Astrum Eri harvest gold and lumber. The source vessel will eventually be needed for gold harvest, but this hasn't been implemented yet. For lumber, the sourcer vessel will harvest 5 lumber from the 3 nearest trees.

116571-albums6726-picture101733.jpg

Below are the techtrees I made for each race, with an approximation of what the units and buildings should look like. None of those are set
in stone though, so you do have a measure of creative liberty. Units and Buildings may be added, changed or removed.

LORE & TECHTREES

The Flame Sworn

The Umbra Clan

The Astrum Eri

Unexpected tab 4

116571-albums6726-picture101652.png

116571-albums6726-picture101656.png
116571-albums6726-picture101653.png

116571-albums6726-picture101657.png
116571-albums6726-picture101654.png

116571-albums6726-picture101655.png

Last edited:
So the album that had the pictures was private and I had no idea the images were not showing up because of that :|

It should show up correctly now. I'll also take the opportunity and ask that if you have any formating tips for the OP, do let me know. (maybe I could gather the techtree part of the post into those neat little tabbed things. I have no idea how to do those).

Cute presentation. I like it.

However, without screenshots to show, you probably won't generate the buzz you want. :(

Well I don't really have anything to show since, well, i don't have any custom models. I'll try to have screenshots of the custom UIs with some of the custom attacks.

Why make the text description an image? now I can't read it because when I zoom (in phone), the image gets automatically resized to fit in the screen.

I couldn't figure out how to restrict the width of the text without having to resort to ugly jagged line breaks. I'll change it if I can figure out to restrict the width with justified paragraphing. Also tabs.

EDIT: Still using images (sorry, still don't know how to force width) but added screenshots and used tab BB code for neater presentation.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
That is a downright fascinating set of worldbuilding and idea-crafting you got there, Spellbound. While I'm a bit of a purist myself when it comes to custom Wc3 factions, I cannot help but admire all the amazing creativity & work that must've gone into this (even simply planning it).

Did you draw all of that?!

I wish I was a bit more active (& then, wish I was a bit more "finished with my own stuff to have time-) to help out, but alas and alack. Still, I don't mind tossing ideas & offering suggestions.

Best of luck, man!

Indeed I did draw all of it, though it's been work spread over long periods of time. This project's planning began well over a year ago and was peppered with long hiatuses. I still have some of the beta artworks I made (which includes a fourth faction that was cut because I wanted to lower the ambition) and the idea hasn't changed as much, but has refined... somewhat :D. Three races is plenty enough to work with, and even then it requires a lot of time and effort.

I'm open to suggestions and ideas. It might be a bit easier down the line when I actually have more things to show, but hey, you can never have enough ideas :)

Currently, the Flame Sworn don't have a gold-farming mechanic in place yet, so feel free to suggest ideas on that end.

Oh, and thank for the words of encouragement Kyrbi0 :)

@WhiteFang Thanks for showing some interest :)

Right now I need someone to help me make a wall system like this one here that doesn't use dummy units but modifies the pathing directly. I've been told someothing about pathing cells but I've never heard of it before so I don't know how to make it work.

Otherwise, I'll need someone to look over the code and make sure I haven't made any stupid mistakes (I'm very new to vJASS... and JASS in general). And I guess someone I can discuss the viability of certain mechanics that I'd like to add.

As for Battle Realms, I imagine you mean the Wolf Clan and the Flame Sworn look similar? :p

Level 11
Right now I need someone to help me make a wall system like this one here that doesn't use dummy units but modifies the pathing directly. I've been told someothing about pathing cells but I've never heard of it before so I don't know how to make it work.

Otherwise, I'll need someone to look over the code and make sure I haven't made any stupid mistakes (I'm very new to vJASS... and JASS in general). And I guess someone I can discuss the viability of certain mechanics that I'd like to add.

As for Battle Realms, I imagine you mean the Wolf Clan and the Flame Sworn look similar? :p

Battle Realms Winter of the Wolf if I dont remember wrong :ogre_haosis:

I've a question, Does this MOD work with all melee map or work with a specific map.

I'm using BPower's Missile for the ranged attacks, and I've opted not to use the z-collision because that would just complicated things for flying units :p The idea is, if a unit deals aoe damage and can attack both ground and air, if the initial target is ground, the splash hits only ground units, and if the initial target is air, the splash hits only air units. Either that or the unit has different attacks for ground and air. Also by splash I also mean missile collision.

Missiles that collide with ground units will also collide with walls, if they ever do make it into the mod that is :D A few missiles may be exempt from collision.

I really like some of the models used in the screenshots, the red night elf buildings, oh yes.

Feel to contact me once you need testing, though I only want to test it a few times not every time you make an update :). I will keep an eye on this though.

They're going to be volcanic ents, so fire trees :D
I'll be sure to contact you for testing once it's almost done.

I think BPower missile supports what u want ^^

I know, and it's working already. I do need help with filters though. First of Group doesn't seem to care about those ;P (I think I'm just setting it up wrong)

Intresting!! Much nice..

So here's a very rough pre-alpha demo meant to shed some light on gameplay, as well as some of the unique features of the Astrum Eri. The race is far from complete and this is mostly for an overview of mechanics:

- Practically all models/icons are placeholder.
- This is mainly to demonstrate custom attack mechanics, like the line-attack of the Channeller, or the bouncing attack of the Sigilite.
- This makes use of my Persistent Beam system for the Skyspire, Star Reaver and Aegis.
- Custom Portal mechanics with the Elder Way.
- No custom spells or upgrades in this version.
- Custom shield mechanics for the Astrum Eri.
- Astrum Eri base-building and unit-production.
- Balance is not the focus here. The Astrum Eri are purposely meant to be overpowered, but they also cost more. Quality over quantity.
- None of what you see in this map is final and may change in the future.
- The filesize is a bit large because of custom models for the other races that I didn't delete (there's quite a lot), so apologies for that.

If you want to help with this project and you are good with 3D modelling or special effect creation, PM me.

Attachments

• Proof of Concept - Astrum Eri DEMO.w3x
    12.8 MB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Sort of. It's likely that I'll have to switch missile systems, and a rewrite/revamp of a bunch of existing code and systems/mechanic is in order because some are just inefficient. Finding the motivation for this is the hardest part. However, as long as I don't have help with custom models, Dawn of Legends cannot be made.

There's a strong chance that'll I'll repurpose my entery for the Techtree Contest #10 as a Dawn of Legends race, but re-themed to fit the mod. We'll have to wait and see, I guess.

For the time being, Dawn of Legends is on hold.

Status
Not open for further replies.