• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

MLG Anaheim Live! — Who else is watching?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
{July 31, 20:13 GMT+1} It's coming back online!

A StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty tournament, called Major League Gaming (MLG) Anaheim, is being held and will soon be back with more exciting matches! You can watch the event LIVE through the Blue Stream and the Red Stream. Right now, the Blue Stream informs that Socke VS Ret is coming up.

Today, Sunday, is the last day of the tournament -- it is today that the prizes will be proclaimed!

You can consult the results of the "Pool" part of the tournament here (remember to collapse those tables!).
{21:26 GMT+1} Results are being updated constantly on this page!

Check out the Anaheim links below the quote!

This article was posted on the official StarCraft II website on July 26:
This weekend, Anaheim, California will host an eSports event of titanic proportions. Major League Gaming is continuing their 2011 Pro Circuit, bringing all of the action out to the Anaheim Convention Center for one of the biggest StarCraft II events to date.

Are you planning to attend MLG Anaheim? No? Why not?! If you aren’t already planning your trip, check out the awesome activities event spectators get to participate in by showing up. As if the high-level StarCraft II games aren’t enough, MLG has pulled out all the stops to bring you even closer to the pros and casters, setting up numerous signing sessions and meet-and-greets for your entertainment. The MLG has even organized a plethora of contests and promotions to keep you occupied between matches.

Also, take note that StarCraft II will be taking the spotlight on the Main Stage. This is the first time in the history of Major League Gaming that a PC title has ever been the star attraction at an MLG event. Be a part of history in the making by picking up your MLG Anaheim Venue Spectator Pass.

For all of the information about what’s happening at the venue this weekend, visit MLG’s spectator bonanza.

You can find handy information on how to watch MLG Anaheim live from the comfort of your home, and the full broadcast schedule can be found here. MLG is also offering League Membership that provides many benefits, including ad-free streams and immediate VOD access. If you aren’t interested in signing up for League Membership, but still want to catch all this weekend’s action live in High-Quality video, you can purchase an MLG Anaheim HQ pass here.

If you’re curious about who’s playing this weekend, MLG has posted a full competitor list, as well as previews for Pool A and Pool B.

Stay tuned for more information. We’ll see you in Anaheim!

SentryIII and I are watching it from TeamLiquid's website, there are two streams you can connect to:
» MLG Anaheim Blue
  • {Now battling: Cruncher(P) VS LiquidSheth(Z)} {Over, Sheth is victorious!}
  • {Now battling: Cruncher(P) VS LiquidSheth(Z), #2(?)} {Over, Sheth(Z) is victorious}
» MLG Anaheim Red
  • {Coming up: Ganzi(T) VS Select(T)} {Over, Ganzi is victorious}

I am completely new to this live broadcast thing (it's live, right?), I'm very excited! In the blue stream, I've just watched Hapyro VS Dongraegu, it was nice!
Discuss the outcomes of each battle here!

P.S. -- I'll be updating as the games run, though it's late and I'll probably go offline soon.

EDIT {0:19 GMT}: Socke(P) vs Rain(T), Matches Pool C, now on MLG Blue Stream!

Last edited:
Level 25
Just watched HayPro vs Tyler, gotta say, Zerglings are awesome.
But I wonder how it would have went if Tyler went for air units, sure they might not deal so much damage against Zerglings, but Zerglings can't hit air, so, harass?

EDIT: Gotta love how the girl added more DR.PEPPER to her glass, yet did not drink any of it :)
ads<3

EDIT2: Two cheers, no drinking.

EDIT3: They really should make a starcraft movie, we would have epic fights, Marines screaming, people dying, and a huge flying barrack cruising around the battle.

Last edited:
Level 22
Who else is watching?

Nearly no one here, not the best place to post it. I'm personally not that interested in it either. I don't remember if it was the previous MLG or another tournament but I think it was the MLG one and it wasn't organized very well. Here is the bracket though:
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/2011_MLG_Pro_Circuit/Anaheim/ChampionshipBracket

Wait is thelittleone in the tournament?
Oh nope, oh cool demuslim is in it.
edit: Oh wait TLO did play and he's gonna lose.

LiquidTLO.. I've played micro tournament with him but I hate that unbalanced map. He's definitely pro but still loses to the current pros, I wouldn't say he will do much, just like in the last 6 months.

And Koreans, it's hard to follow, every time some new names emerge. I'm for mvp as i think Boxer will lose to some of the new Koreans but the same could happen with Mvp. I also would've been for the fellow eu&war3 player ThorZaiN but he is in the absentee list, strange cause absent are the NE god Moon who did so well on Dreamhack 2011 ended 2nd, protoss god MC, July, Losira and without them the tournament won't be the same, please.

Last edited:

Rui

Rui

Level 41
That's not true. I think I mentioned SentryIII is watching, and so is GhostWolf and apparently so is Vengeancekael, and who knows who else. Also, I didn't really care about this until Sentry showed it to me. I took a view and I liked it, and I thought maybe others not familiarized with this would enjoy it as well.

I'm gonna try to watch both.

Level 13
Didn't know you update site news for things like this. but this is by far nothing new, the live streaming of e-sports (they have been at it for quite some time now) including the sc scene.

Make sure you keep your eyes open for the event updates that sc makes on their news section if you want to keep people posted on live events (next weekend is the 2011 European invitational battle.net) (which will feature free stream as well)

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I figured it wasn't, but I'm new to it, so I'm excited.
I think they won't be allowing the shooting of replays, so, for people in whose country it isn't midnight yet, enjoy while it lasts.
Does anyone know if there are any SC1 tournaments being streamed live, too?
MMA vs DRG was crazily intensive, you should have watched it!

Mvp vs Boxer, my favorite vs other less favorite Terran. That's gonna be crazy but if it will take more than 1 hour for both games as TvT is 1 hr per game.. i won't watch the rest
I hate mirrors, they're so lame. In TvT, it's tank and viking mass, in Protoss Vs Protoss, it's either 4gate or a stupid run for Colossi. Not watching them >.<

Level 25
I figured it wasn't, but I'm new to it, so I'm excited.
I think they won't be allowing the shooting of replays, so, for people in whose country it isn't midnight yet, enjoy while it lasts.
Does anyone know if there are any SC1 tournaments being streamed live, too?
MMA vs DRG was crazily intensive, you should have watched it!

I hate mirrors, they're so lame. In TvT, it's tank and viking mass, in Protoss Vs Protoss, it's either 4gate or a stupid run for Colossi. Not watching them >.<

Even tho it became a stalemate, it was pretty exciting to watch.

Level 22
I doubt such news have grounds here and I mean even a sub-forum or news in a form of threads. The discussion here would be like a doctor discussing the technical aspects of surgery with a lawyer

The winner FTW, I'm glad I chose him over Boxer. Now if only there were replays but MLG stopped releasing them just like GSL. I'm tired of this stupid tendency some tournaments to keep replays for themselves as if it would kill them to upload after the event is over. Well, that's why I prefer EU tournaments where unlike GSL or MLG if any koreans were invited, you can have the replay packs, like Dreamhack. I don't like MLG, it's the players involved that made it cool, and so much for mlg. 'Oh no I just learned the Korean's build so im gonna beat Koreans cause I saw Korean build!' ... I read that stupid argument on Teamliquid or some other place.

Last edited:
Level 22
Is it just me, or is playing SC2 competitively a little stupid?

Yes, it is just you. Not because if you play a lot you're gonna earn thousands, not everyone becomes that good to win such tournaments but because overall if you have played and enjoyed melee as something more than just some massing armies a-moving, you would see it is actually more fun than making and making and making and making... and making maps project number 1, project number 20 and never complete oh and that after you made it is never played as there is Dota or Sc2 Dota or whatever most played map. To me that is rather silly - what is not - working in a large enough team and doing something together that is played. Well, not many maps make the cut, thus what a waste making a map that is barely played - and I seriously wonder about that when I see people making WC3 and SC2 maps... do they realize it?

It's like saying soccer is silly, it's the same, just less popular and the prizes are less, you follow teams except for not all of us are such fanboys and don't care if their favorite player loses unlike if your soccer team loses. That's why I don't engage myself in mapmaking - most are like in their 15 or so teens? Melee is less time consuming than working on a project. Im over 20, no time for projects, all my friends and ppl I know are playing melee, why wouldn't I. Afterall same I did in War3, playing competitively ftw, it's fun.

Level 22
Yes, it is just you. Not because if you play a lot you're gonna earn thousands, not everyone becomes that good to win such tournaments but because overall if you have played and enjoyed melee as something more than just some massing armies a-moving, you would see it is actually more fun than making and making and making and making... and making maps project number 1, project number 20 and never complete oh and that after you made it is never played as there is Dota or Sc2 Dota or whatever most played map. To me that is rather silly - what is not - working in a large enough team and doing something together that is played. Well, not many maps make the cut, thus what a waste making a map that is barely played.

It's like saying soccer is silly, it's the same, just less popular and the prizes are less, you follow teams except for not all of us are such fanboys and don't care if their favorite player loses unlike if your soccer team loses. That's why I don't engage myself in mapmaking - most are like in their 15 or so teens? Im over 20, no time for projects, all my friends and ppl I know are playing melee, why wouldn't I. Afterall same in War3, playing competitively ftw, it's fun.

It just seems funny that you would huddle against a monitor for 2-6 hours, playing SC2.

Level 22
I think you are emphasizing on SC2 gaming/mapmaking, not the general gaming or whatever that you consider a waste of time, otherwise why come here if you meant the overall staying at a PC?

Well, look how many gamers switched to sc2 from war3, although everyone at first felt it not that skilled and good game as war3. Now everyone, me included, found out there could be a lot of skill without heroes and the game is not dumb but also has very clever moves. I would say as an RTS it shows more strategy than war3 did, although micro was my thing, not macro but what can I say, learning. Still fun for me.

As for mapmakers, again the serious ones also switched to SC2 for it, those new to the war3 editor or playing war3 cause of too old pc.. I wouldn't count those as a source for war3 activity. Fact is for the majority SC2 is the new war3 - for melee and maps. I find it useless to stay at a dead game no matter how much some optimists consider war3 alive. It's alive for those who can't buy SC2 or better pc in 90% of the cases.

War3's a dead game man... screw it. I've had a die hard guy who was winning some lesser war3 tournaments and was really good, even he swtched to sc2 although he loled at it. I was even surprised someone who had clearly no intention to change it, suddenly did it in 1 day. Then got better in sc2 than me too, cause war3 skill carries over sc2.. and I was worse in war3 anyway.

Level 20
I doubt such news have grounds here and I mean even a sub-forum or news in a form of threads. The discussion here would be like a doctor discussing the technical aspects of surgery with a lawyer

The winner FTW, I'm glad I chose him over Boxer. Now if only there were replays but MLG stopped releasing them just like GSL. I'm tired of this stupid tendency some tournaments to keep replays for themselves as if it would kill them to upload after the event is over. Well, that's why I prefer EU tournaments where unlike GSL or MLG if any koreans were invited, you can have the replay packs, like Dreamhack. I don't like MLG, it's the players involved that made it cool, and so much for mlg. 'Oh no I just learned the Korean's build so im gonna beat Koreans cause I saw Korean build!' ... I read that stupid argument on Teamliquid or some other place.

Teams and players are still allowed to release their own replays from the tournament at their own discretion, so I guess you should be hating the teams now.

Rui said:
It's a lot more complicated than that, usually. But yes, they do get boring.

Level 22
Teams and players are still allowed to release their own replays from the tournament at their own discretion, so I guess you should be hating the teams now.

It's really funny/interesting/*ed when someone starts defending a case that btw is generally quite unreasonable but *, for the sake of sounding important and 'pro' has to comment and defend the cause. It's called a hypocrite.

I also don't give a slight * if I will watch these replays or not. It is jus generally wrong to hide replays due to 'players will steal pro builds' because this is the most stupid argument Ive ever heard. This is not the reason for MLG as the reason for them is here. Whatever reasons they have MLG, TLS or GSL it is dumb. Also @ MLG, it's one of the badly organized tournaments, see last one months ago, this one went slightly better thanks to the players involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 20
It's really funny/interesting/*ed when someone starts defending a case that btw is generally quite unreasonable but *, for the sake of sounding important and 'pro' has to comment and defend the cause. It's called a hypocrite.
Jesus, lol.

Imtor said:
I also don't give a slight * if I will watch these replays or not. It is jus generally wrong to hide replays due to 'players will steal pro builds' because this is the most stupid argument Ive ever heard. This is not the reason for MLG as the reason for them is here. Whatever reasons they have MLG, TLS or GSL it is dumb. Also @ MLG, it's one of the badly organized tournaments, see last one months ago, this one went slightly better thanks to the players involved.
I already know why they didn't release the replays this time around. Their reason is totally valid, and the fact that they're releasing them later is good too. Tell me why you shouldn't blame the teams for not releasing them in the meantime. I know at least one team's replays are released just from glancing at a thread on TL yesterday.

Also, I've watched every MLG. The players involved had absolutely nothing to do with the level of organization. They've had local internet issues several times, BNet issues as well, and a severe hail storm when they brought 2 satellite trucks to compensate. Though the organization was pretty shitty for the first few MLGs (and who can blame them?), at least the last two were near flawless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 22
agree 100%, who are these people? why we care lol?

People who get thousands of dollars while you make maps that barely anyone plays?

You don't have to care, everyone has freedom to care or not. It is the same as caring/not about some sport like soccer or basketball or whatever. Are some of you so clueless to not know ANYTHING about esports, I mean even what it means? It's pretty much the PC version of normal sports, teams, fans, fanboys, manager politics, bets, money all at smaller scale though. And no one cares that much if the player you are for loses, unlike if your soccer team loses.

See what I mean Rui? It's good you brought something fresh among the boring news threads but you're wasting your time here. Thanks for sharing though. I saw the links from your thread as I didn't follow it at first.

Level 22
People who get thousands of dollars while you make maps that barely anyone plays?

You don't have to care, everyone has freedom to care or not. It is the same as caring/not about some sport like soccer or basketball or whatever. Are some of you so clueless to not know ANYTHING about esports, I mean even what it means? It's pretty much the PC version of normal sports, teams, fans, fanboys, manager politics, bets, money all at smaller scale though. And no one cares that much if the player you are for loses, unlike if your soccer team loses.

See what I mean Rui? It's good you brought something fresh among the boring news threads but you're wasting your time here. Thanks for sharing though. I saw the links from your thread as I didn't follow it at first.

You are way too defensive dude. We are just asking questions. And maps that barely anyone plays? At least we can.

Level 13
I don't think Imtor is being too defensive for he/she is just defending something he/she loves. asking if something is stupid can be quite offensive. I would suggest simply asking why people play or watch SCII that passionately.

I watch a fair amount of SCII tournaments and it's quite entertaining if you know how the game works.

Imtor, the fact that replays are not being submitted has noting to do with the presence of Koreans; instead it's just a policy the host maintains. Apart from that not all European tournaments release their replays either. You dislike MLG purely based on the fact they don't release the replays? I think that's a poor statement coming from a e-sports lover. Personally I think MLG could be better and thus room for improvement. MLG is a big event for the SCII e-sports scene and does make e-sports bigger (have you seen the crowed that showed up for it). it basically builds awareness for the SCII e-sports scene which I doubt is a real bad thing on itself.

Level 22
That's your opinion not to be taken as a fact. But I doubt you have been into any esports because from watching war3 the same way, I just find it equally interesting to watch SC2 games and many do as they like war3's games it would go the same way for SC2.

Imtor, the fact that replays are not being submitted has noting to do with the presence of Koreans; instead it's just a policy the host maintains. Apart from that not all European tournaments release their replays either. You dislike MLG purely based on the fact they don't release the replays? I think that's a poor statement coming from a e-sports lover. Personally I think MLG could be better and thus room for improvement. MLG is a big event for the SCII e-sports scene and does make e-sports bigger (have you seen the crowed that showed up for it). it basically builds awareness for the SCII e-sports scene which I doubt is a real bad thing on itself.

I didn't say anywhere that Evil Koreans decide not to release replays, although that's what HindyHat was suggesting by saying to blame the teams. And my first post was exactly the tournaments' policy on replays that I criticized.

Yes I saw the big crowd and I am not saying I hate MLG cause of the no replays - GSL also doesn't release them but I don't hate it... TSL too. But it is the previous MLG's organization that started the negative opinion about MLG. again nothing to do me, it was overall not liked, this one was better.

Level 24
lol. i dont make maps anymore. and gratz to them for making thousands of dollars. every month? week? even if its a week, i make more than them. i am happy for their success but i still don't see why anyone would care about watching other players.

Shut the fuck up.

No one here cares how much money you make, or claim to make so this part of the post was just unrelated, egotistical bull*.

Now, while you may be too much of a moron to comprehend how simply because you don't glean enjoyment from something NO ONE ELSE POSSIBLY could, I'm here to inform you this is not actually the case.

People enjoy competitive gaming for a number of reasons, some of the more common ones being that they want to improve their own game (and watching pros play is a way to help with that), or just simply the idea that competition itself is fun. Same reason people watch competitive sports, in that it's entertaining to watch other people compete at high levels, to watch skillfull play against skillfull play. Hell, maybe it's just social for some people, they like to be able to talk to their friends about what's going on in the e-sports world. Maybe it's the drama of the players.

So instead of making sensationalist and attention grabbing posts, and trying to demonstrate how wonderfully different you are from everyone else, and aren't you cool, maybe you should try to be less stupid next time, and post your opinion as your opinion, and just that.

but i still don't see why anyone would care about watching other players.

I don't see why anyone still visits these forums regularly anymore, because I don't. I don't see how anyone could be THIS @, and not understand that other people have different opinions. I don't see why you would continue to post such utter bullshit.

But simply because I 'don't see why' doesn't mean that you continue to do so, does it?

Last edited:
Level 22
lol. i dont make maps anymore. and gratz to them for making thousands of dollars. every month? week? even if its a week, i make more than them. i am happy for their success but i still don't see why anyone would care about watching other players.

For the same reason people like watching soccer, tennis or any other sport? E-Sports is something that occured AFAIR with the new century. It's just one of the new entertainments and sports coming with the wide use of the internet. And people enjoy it like, others enjoy other things. Need more explanations? I think not.

Some find it silly? Cool, others - not, like every hobby in the world.

Level 22
Tournaments like this one get forgotten quickly because in another month, another tournament followed by even more interest comes. GSL Code A, Code S, TSL, in few months Blizzcon& GSL, WCG and many others I Won't even mention as one can hardly follow all.

http://www.gosugamers.net/starcraft2/news/16389-assembly-summer-begins-tomorrow-15-000-on-the-line

See, there comes the next one. And with EU players and not considered so 'VIP', it will sure release replays (now it seems according to latest update MLG will too)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.