1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Lead your forces to battle in the 15th Techtree Contest. The call is yours, commander!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The reforging of the races is complete. Come see the 14th Techtree Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. It's time to choose your horse in the race - the 32nd Modeling Contest Poll is up!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Misty Spring

Submitted by Daffa
This bundle is marked as substandard. It may contain bugs, not perform optimally or otherwise be in violation of the submission rules.
「Misty Spring」

By Daffa the Mage

Gameplay
[tr]
A Normal Melee Map with Wind Effect.

Features
[tr]
4 Gold Mines
3 Fountain of Health
2 Goblin Merchant
4 Way Gates

Credits
[tr]
Moyack
SonofJay
-Kobas-

Changelog
[tr]
1.1 : Major Terrain and Overall Improvements
1.0 : Uploaded to Hive
Map Description Generator 「By Vengeancekael」

Keywords:
Misty, Spring, Daffa, Mage, Magic, Orc, Human, Undead, Night Elves[/tr][/tr][/tr][/tr]

[​IMG]
Contents

Misty Spring (Map)

Reviews
10:58, 9th Aug 2013 Orcnet: working board
  1. Hell_Master

Hell_Master

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Misty Spring Review

• As promised Daffa, I have found a time to review this so here is it. Sadly, I have to agree with those negative feedbacks. This is not ready for an approval and needs such improveents for a melee map.

• [tab][tabheader]Good Points:[/tabheader]
      • Terrain looks fine but do remember fine does not meet that its good. Terrain is quite flat if you will notice and doodads are improperly placed and some blocks units and pathways. Also, the cliffs in the middle are too much noised up. I do suggest retain its original form which looks like just a cliff.
      • Map looks ok and symmetric though the view in the minimap is not pleasing.
        Creeps are balanced.
      [/tab]

[tab][tabheader]Bad Points:[/tabheader]
      • The spaces in the player's start locs are really small and needs to be widen. This also applies to the expansion areas. Too small.
      • The expansion areas also lacks places to gather lumber.
      [/tab]

[tab][tabheader]Suggestions:[/tabheader]
      • I suggest for terrain improvements. Do some tile mixing, you are just using one kind of a tile which is not really creative, the noised cliffs in the middle is really disturbing which loses its quality so much, and doodads are not properly putted and some even blocks ways a little but is still enterable.
      • Widen the spaces for the payer start loc to enable players to have more spaces for building and also this applies for the expansion areas. Expansion areas also lacks trees to lumber. There are only trees there. Most likely, your best solution is tho remade this in a bigger map. As what SonofJay said to me, do not worry you'll gain more rather losing. It might mean that you will have to work again but trust me, its worth it!
      [/tab]

• Overall, do take suggestions into consideration and it will pay well and will award you an Approval but for now, imprve the map. Good luck Daffa and happy mapmaking :cgrin:

Rating: 3/5
      Vote: Pending

2. Remixer

Remixer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Remixer's Review
    Terrain
    Firstly I think that terrain is very poor there is many reasons for that but overall the map looks very roughly done and it is not pleasant to eyes.
    • Bases are too small and players do not have enough place to build.
    • The edge of the playable map is very out of place, you should edit that.
    • The bridges are not placed nicely and they look currently very ugly. There is a few tricks to make bridges look nice in maps. The tricks are:
    1. Make the cliff/ground properly heighted for the bridge, terrain should be at the same height at both ends of the bridge, do not forget that the terrain directly touching the walkable bridge musn't be too smooth.
    2. Height the bridge correctly. Not many people height any doodads or destructibles in their maps you can do this by holding down [Control] and pressing [Page Up] to move the object upwards or pressing [Page Down] to move the object downwards. The Page Up/Down keys can be found above arrow keys. The bridges are heighted properly when there is no rought change in the unit's height when it steps on the bridges edge.
    3. Use correct bridges. Many map makers does not notice how ugly some bridges are for some location. For example you have placed Stone Bridges. You should have gone with Natural Bridges or Wooden bridges they would look a lot more natural for this map.
    • There is not enough environmental doodads. I see you have added doodads to the map which is good however you should add environmental doodads also to make it look more natural. Specially the shores looks very plain.
    • Tile using. The tile using is very boring you have used mostly just grass. If you think it is ugly to place dirt or such things around you can add more grass ground tiles to the map. For example Ashenvale's Lumpy Grass and Sunken Ruins' Rough Grass is very good looking. However you should add some dirt to the shores to make them look.
    • The lightnings in the middle of the map looks ugly, I suggest to remove them. Also there is those super terrain spikes. I wonder what you tried there but they are looking weird and you can still walk on them. I suggest to reset the height there.
    • Water is looking very plain. You should move the decoration ships more to the deep water, they lay on the shore now.
    • I also doubt that all races can build their Headquarters at the extentions it is just too small area for example for orcs.
    • On the South-East side below the Blue Waygate you can cut the trees to make an additional path. Is this intented?

Creeps
    Overall you have tried to include too much in too small map. Why you have three fountains of life? It is just too much. I suggest you to place only 1 fountain in the middle and replace the two other fountains with Goblin Merchants and remove the old ones and extend the base area to their old locations. Also it is not necessary to have those Way Gates there. If I were you I would remove the cliffs around them and make it walkable to the middle.
    • The creep camps are very unbalanced. Near the merchant if you attack another of those creep camps both of them will attack you. Also the creep camp guarding the merchant has 1 level 8 Wizard and 2 level 5 Wizards. That is insane as a third creep camp you will kill. Reduce the difficulty.
    • Overall the Item Drops of harder camps are too small and way too random. You should add less random creep camps (Add class to the item drop.)
    • The creep camps are not placed nicely. The first creep camp is removed at the start since it is too close to the starting location. Also most of the creep camps are on the way to enemy base. You can not avoid them attacking you anyway! That is not nice. You need to neither add wider areas to move on or remove some creep camps. I suggest you to just select a bigger map since you are not that advanced at melee map making.
    • Make sure creep camps are balanced. Did you guys by the way notice that the Extention Creep camp in the north has 1 Stone Golem and 3 Mud Golems and in the South it has 1 Stone Golem and 2 Mud Golems. Racist...

Generally
    Generally the lay out is pretty unique, however it is also pretty booring and simple. Only 1 way to attack to your opponents base and you can not really build any kind of defenses to your own extention since enemy will enter from a Way Gate. I also think that AI will get raped in this map since the creep camp guarding the merchant is too powerful as it tries to clear the green creep camp next to it. The map does not have enough lumber in it and it needs more building place.

Rating
    Terrain: 2/5
    Comment:
    You have tried and I like some things but you just need to improve them more or less. Take all hints and tips you can get from other map makers.
    Creep Camps: 1/5
    Comment:
    They are poorly placed and unbalanced. However as I've been noobie by myself also I know it is not the easiest thing to do.
    Generally: 2/5
    Comment:
    Generally the map is very basic and it does not give the player special experience when playing it. The layout and general things needs to be improved.
    Total scores: 5/15

3. Daffa

Daffa

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @All People Who Review My Melee

I have to say thank you very much in giving those reviews, I really appreciate it, I am current working on many suggestion especially the lightning removing (which everyone's complaint :grin:), I don't notice how ugly it is on the middle, expect update soon :)

4. PublishedShadow

PublishedShadow

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Pathing wise (Since it is the wonderful and "terrible" land of Warcraft pathing), it would probably be better to do shallow water/"land" bridges in place of the actual blizzard bridges.
    (I just hate them, nothing against you for using them)

5. Orcnet

Orcnet

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    So I comeback once again to make a review, I don't really understand why others is giving out fair rated reviews, I'm sorry to disappoint you daffa but here are my final results:

- the spike height tiles is bad looking, why not just use the spike doodads of ashenvale or sunken ruins?

-lordaeron summer is not a fitting theme for a misty spring like area, village, ashenvale, or sunken ruins hit the spot

-lightning bolts do not serve any purpose for a spring, a spring is someplace where positive energy surrounds the place, so why add lightning?

-Instead of using the weather: Wind(Heavy) [and again a spring is a haven, not a royal rumble], use the weather: Dungeon White Fog(Light) its much more calm.

-doodads are lacking, physical involvement around the map is not a good idea, let's make it natural so it means there should be grass, rocks, cliffs, and any environmental doodad in place, speaking of environmental, creeps should not be humanoid, they should be either elementals or little type of monsters such as wolf, spider, murlocs

-reduce the usage of neutral buildings, the map is small so the spoon feeding should be small, really a waygate is too much for just a tiny space, strategic-wise the map doesn't really need waygates, it would be a pain if a huge force started entering one the expansions that has been taken by the other player.

-speaking of expansions, all expansions are so near the main player bases this ends up to be disastrous(e.g air units, siege units, bloodmage flame strike, FR earthquake) move them somewhere out of player reach that player's need to reach

-the bridges doesn't look natural, I would suggest you just make a shallow water path and remove them, this give more atmosphere for a spring

To my conclusion, you need more handwork than waiting for feed backs, feed backs is random they either just say this to please you but they distract you from taking out your own advantage of working your self-idealism. So for now I'll leave this in 'NEEDS FIX' this way you get more time working on what needs to be done.

EDIT: I think your referring your map into one of asian type of springs so here are some real-life view concepts you might need to work this map:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. Daffa

Daffa

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thanks, set this to Needs Fix please, I haven't any time to fix the map itself.
    Also, I refer to Spring Season, not those springs :D

7. PartumCreed

PartumCreed

Resources:
    Resources:
    Don't sell yourself short, the terraining is good.
    There's beauty in simplicity & I actually really like this map.
    Heck, I made a video of me playing the map & losing against a mere (Computer Normal) AI:

8. Daffa

Daffa

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thanks for the praise, though it has rooms for improvements. I am more of a trigger person, so terrain is not my forte.
    I appreciate the video, thanks.