• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-Mapping Contests: The Drums in the Dungeon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Thank you for your time. I would be glad do explain once again my point of view as a judge.

1.I right clicked like hell to interact with quest givers. Only when all 4 heroes surrounded the unit did the designated event started. There are plenty of creative approaches into quests and that was pretty basic.

2.The questions in the dialogues were bizzare to be the most. And again if you release a map for both single and multiplayer it should work for both of them. There it just gives all perks to all heroes.

3.I am sorry you feel that way but I totally disagree with your comprehension of creativity. You might have replaced one of the humans with an orc and it would look exactly like the Shrek party. I don't find this creative, I find it random. Creative would be a hero selection screen like those who use arrows to navigate and buttons to observe them in action before selecting. But not a group of horse,men,woman who use a basic posses to choose heroes without even the spell icon changed.

4.You'v stated that your map is for multiplayer, not that it would missbehave in single player and cause bugs to appear. If you make a single player mode be sure to test it out too next time. I was completely able to test it in multiplayer too. Alas never finished it because people just left numerous times.

5.For the golems, when there are so many random columns around the map the feel that 'this exact combination ' would work is lost. If you had created a pattern before that destroying columns (that I never did because it was way too easy anyway) award bonuses of many possibilities I would take my time to explore it furthermore.

6.For the dispel - I know what dispell does, it is just that it was never needed in the first place. Golems were extremely easy and that 2 minute poison ?? I never discovered it.

I hope that clears thing out a bit.
Also since your entry was first I was able to communicate with baasee about it before he dissapeared and he agreed on my points.

Thank you once again for giving me this opportunity.

Level 25
Wow, that took a long time to read through all of the reviews. No wonder it took so long to be sent in/posted up :xxd: Thanks for the detailed review, and I'll take all of the suggestions into consideration (especially fixing the aiming system and adding more action in between enemy spawns).

U are the boss xD, ur judge have strike me rly heavy directly in the heart xD, but yes u are have a point of most of the things, I have done rly big map(i think so) for rly short time. Yes my english sux, I have not give credits and much more things what I am currently do(like item drop sistem and full screen inventory), I have rly big plans for it, and map is currently just a trash atm.
Just a few questions Do abomination have poison pool when it dies or not, because I have added few effects and AOE damage for next 5 seconds after death and how to reduce lagg of my W spell(aoe) I know to it is rly llaggy atm.

Level 23
Im very impressed by your thorough review, nailed almost everything head on.

When I said above that I have no remarks on the dungeon design I had forgotten the part with the icy lich and ice blocks spread around. It made little sense to me but I guess there is some idea behind it (icy race wants to flood over the deserts? why do they block the water supplies then...oh whatever , feel free to explain it...and then the fire boss/zone. So the elementals combine to take the powerfull villagers' water? bleh).

I admit I shoulda explained the story clearer.

Long ago a human Urshan built a dam to safely funnel water from the mountains to the lowlands where they could tae refuge from the Djinn Aradus. Aradus attacks the wall and cuts off the water hoping to drive the humans from their forts. In doing so, he slaughters the water priesthood and creates a Lich to imprison their souls.

There is rain in the Aradus zone because he is atop the wall, in the mountains where the rains fall and the dam funnels it down to the lowlands which are dry.

Finally I'v stumbled uphon the nicely artistic work of the building that resembles the dungeon in a orange-yellow dusty background done by light mixing. It was great! I liked it very much and I wished you'v put it at the start of the map as an intro while the info is running.

Now that i look back, Im not sure why I didnt :p.

I hate to sound whiny, ut where is the -1 in my Object Judging. You know since you gave me a 9/10

Level 37
Thank you Lordkoon for the excellent review. Superb job. +rep

I agree that my entry has many, many flaws. However, by linking my entries to the campaign is for me the only reason I am entering these contests. It is essential for me to work on this way as I kill two birds with one stone: I'm part of this wonderful community but I also do my own thing. I like to work this way and that gives me the motivation I need.

Even so, I could do the job better by actually doing a good terrain and custom hero spells to make my entries separate from the campaign itself. Compared to my Xvareon battle, this is much poorer and lazier done(no items, no difficulties, no music, etc.)

I became lazier and lazier and eventually I lost pretty much my motivation on the entry. I still finished it, barely. I already got a lot of feedback about the bosses and I'll of course make these bosses better in the campaign itself.

Anyway, I would like to thank everyone for being part of the contest. I had fun, I hope you guys too. Let's have more contests in the future!

Level 14
Thank you Aero for being understanding.

Kino at some points it's very hard to make an exact judgement of where to remove a point exactly. At a few places I just made it as all judges do - an overal feel for the points fairness. I felt like the items were not corresponding to the hero in a way. It was greatly done but I felt like it was needing a tiny bit more to be perfect. The health potion tooltip was not stating that it could be used only after geting the 'spell' for it. I was just expecting for such a long game (took me quite a while to get the hang of the bosses) to be more itemization options. Lets say it was a bit more limited than I'v expected.

I remember giving 9/10 to some other entries on subjects I didn't stated too. It was just too many readthrough and delete, read delete. I must have deleted that part of my explination. Sorry.

Level 25
I am thinking of the next mini-mapping contest to be a cinematic. I will create the surroundings of the first scene (which you must retain) & the atmosphere and you will have to make it an actual story. Opinions please?

I prefer making playable things, specifically multiplayer. But I might join anyway, cinematics was my favourite genre back in '03.

Level 14
I am thinking of the next mini-mapping contest to be a cinematic. I will create the surroundings of the first scene (which you must retain) & the atmosphere and you will have to make it an actual story. Opinions please?

This would make judging a bit short, no gameplay, not (much) originality offered with premade terrain, just make up the story and do it with triggers. Sounds like an idea for writing contest for people who want to put life on their writings.
Besides there was already a suggestion about the next contest theme - Gathering(in all its forms and comprehensions)

Mini-Mapping contests include Cinematics and Games. The Drums in the Dungeon was obviously a game.

Explanation, for those of you that didn't notice it:

160036-albums4747-picture60997.png

This is the fire that lights when the contest is a game.

If the Fortuneteller decides to host a cinematic, the fire will light blue:

160036-albums4747-picture60996.png

This is a suggestion, to avoid repetition. In fact, I will create the first seconds of the cinematic to motivate people, because it seems to be the kind of map that most people avoid progressing. It will be a mini-cinematic (hence the contest's tag "mini").

Level 25
Regardless of the theme, there should be three judges from now on in case one is having issues getting their results in. It could never hurt to have more balanced results if they all send their results in. I think I'll be applying to be one for the next contest.

Level 14
That should be up to Pharaoh to decide. If he wants to make it. I see more people wanting the farming.

Aero cinematic with premade begining isn't much more open either.
In the farming theme things could go from farming gold,gems,oils,materials to farming souls with the grim reaper mini-game(lol) , farming dots with a pacman styled system oriented game, heck even farming coins with Tickles' style of making 2d maps Super Mario in warcraft game. We will just remove the 'Harvest Moon'-alike requirement and make it even more open to interpretations

Okay, the cinematic mini-contest would be hosted to refresh the interest over cinematics and with a premade beginning and/or a duration of 2-5 minutes, it wouldn't be hard.

The prepared scene could be manipulated as follows:
• You could use it in the beginning of your cinematic.
• You could use it in the end of your cinematic.
• You could use it as a scene in your cinematic.
• You could not use it at all.

Basically, it will be given to save some of the time that users who are busy with real life could hardly get. Additionally, it could potentially inspire the contestant.

If most of you want Farming, then this is what it is going to be. ;]

Great judging Lordkoon can't get much better then that. You are pretty much all right with my entry, although I did make a loading screen although appeared to bug quite badly for some reason but did show most of the image for me. Wasn't entirely sure about how it would effect others computers. :\
And yeh my map after lot's of modding ended up being more of an experiment map for my mapping skills to improve, and yet yeh I see the flaws even on the terrain of how to make it more look like a dungeon and I have done this with a for now personal version and looks like a really well built dungeon now.
My map will be released eventualy in the map development forum for extra ideas from the public. :)
--
If the theme where to be cinematic I would love for the host to build a part of the cinematic for contestants to build around(with keeping the main idea and dialog from the scene although with the choice of modding the terrain for that scene).
This would be a great contest to see what great ideas every contestant would have with the inspiration from the same idea... Or so.

Edit: Oh yes and if the next mapping contest is desperate for a judge I would consider judging if I don't enter it!

Status
Not open for further replies.