1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Mini-mapping Contest #9 - Map Size Limited

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by eubz, Apr 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guramax

Guramax

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    My WIP 2

Heya guys! Very busy? hahaha here's my second WIP. It's not yet playable because my triggers are not yet totally working..,

Attached Files:

2. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That's just how it is, unfortunately.

Get around it by changing the model or making the terrain out of doodads.

3. TheWhiteWolf

TheWhiteWolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hm, I'ma go with animations :)

Hopefully, a playable wip will emerge this evening :D

4. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm struggling to get the ancient protector's ranged attack animation without having it appear to be rooted (and vice versa with getting a melee attack while I want it rooted).

In the "rooted" animations, the legs are hidden and the root is shown. Is there a way to edit the animation to not hide the legs during this animation?

What I want to do:
    1. Import copies of both attack and attack alternate animations into the model
    2. For attack alternate copy, hide roots and show legs
    3. For attack copy, hide legs and show roots

EDIT: Looks like I'll be able to eventually work my way through all the nodes using Magos.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  5. Dark-Zalor

Dark-Zalor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  6. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    - You can't turn while stopped, but the angle still changes while you hold down left/right, so when you move again your camera instantly sets to that angle, which can be disorienting.
    - It wasn't very obvious how to buy a different car, and there isn't really any time to read the tooltips to pick one while you're busy racing.
    - Camera becomes off-centered when near to the map bounds.
    - Camera height changes when going near cliffs.
    - Turning sometimes seemed to simply not work. If this is some effect due to e.g. going through a bush, you need to add some SFX to indicate this.
    - Camera stays behind when you use leap.
    - End the game properly instead of just a game message.

The use of arrow keys really damages this map. The turning is awkward and has no precision. You should consider adding a mode where you can use right clicks to set your facing angle, and making the camera face down a bit more.

7. Argus

Argus

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Here's another WIP. The systems are pretty much in place, all that's left to do is to design the heroes and creeps. I'd love some feedback if anyone has the time to give it a look. Once again, you need to type "start" after selecting your hero to begin.

@rulerofiron99 I might be able to put together that ancient for you, it's just a bit complicated since the legs aren't animated for the Attack Alternate animation, so you have to transfer the leg animation from the normal attack and fuse it with the rock throwing of the upper body. No promises, but I'll have a look at it tomorrow.

Attached Files:

8. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Going to take a look now.

EDIT:
    - Fountain encourages players to simply camp in the center of the map and not do anything else. To survive the second hero spawn I kited him around the fountain while getting the felhounds to block the path between me and him while my mana recovered to use Battle Meditation. I suggest you only enable the fountain in the downtime between waves, otherwise the whole game is just camp by the fountain. I saw you made various spots on the terrain, but the way it is now I don't see a reason to use any of them.
    - Spells have quite a high mana cost, so most of the game was just right click and watch.
    - Does the difficulty scale with more players? I played singleplayer and got absolutely wrecked. Got to 20 minutes left on the clock before being overwhelmed.
    - When you come back from Battle Meditation, your health resets to what it was before casting.
    - The small ship doodad below the fountain is a pathblocking nightmare.
    - Periodic spawning of creeps allows you to just sit in one spot and kill them as they come, so no much playing to do. I suggest you split creeps into waves.

Right now it's too early to give really meaningful feedback, except that everything is very generic, which will obviously change as more content is added. I'll take another look once you've added more heroes and creeps.

I would greatly appreciate that. I'm just worried if this could be considered teamwork or not. @Judge: Would this be allowed?

If all else fails; I have been poking a bit deeper in the node manager in Magos, and have so far figured out how to have one of the 4 small roots of the ancient's root animation not appear.

Small steps :)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  9. Argus

Argus

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thanks! What you want to do with Magos is look at geoset animations instead of the nodes. I threw one together below, but it has some problems as you can see.

Attached Files:

10. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    See edit above for my thoughts so far.

I'm pleased that the melee attacks are working while rooted.

Wow, this geoset animation thing really does make it simple, many thanks! Now just to figure out these remaining problems... notepad here I come.

11. Kino

Kino

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Breath.jpg

wip 3

12. Imago_

Imago_

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  13. Quilnez

Quilnez

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    why I can't update my entry post? the upload always restarted after reaching ~50%?

EDIT:
    nevermind. succeed

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  14. Remixer

Remixer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    You can not upload the same file twice, you have to remove the first attachment or change filename :)

15. frettory

frettory

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm thinking of a single player ORPG with random terrain generation.

16. Shadow Fury

Shadow Fury

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    It is a good idea but I guess it will need a lot of work and especially time which is running out quickly.

17. Galles

Galles

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I am interested in participating in this contest but do not know how to participate, please someone help me, I read the topic most do not know how to participate

18. Frotty

Frotty

Wurst Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Wurst:
    Resources:
    I think it is crystal clear how to participate.
    Post WIPs of your map, then make a post with a final entry. Just upload your map (unprotected)

Good luck, you have 11 days left

19. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The number of contestants is growing almost each day, by now they look to outnumber the last contest. :)

20. TheWhiteWolf

TheWhiteWolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I am talking to the judges, mods and admins now:

Since the number of the contestants is enormous, and I believe that judging won't be finished by the end of the summer, can we start another contest while the judging is in process and not yet done?

By the way, I am looking for people to help me by testing my entry with me. If anyone is interested, answer here, VM or PM me :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.