1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Role Playing Game] Memento Mori

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by Talavaj, Mar 16, 2013.

1. BlueSaint

BlueSaint

Resources:
    Tools:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    oh god your signature xD

2. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    That is how the level is done at the moment, it however doesn't make any difference as the whole mesh is still rendered and there are thousands of polygons underneath everything that are completely useless and draining performance.

Also here is a concept of how I would like the water to look like. (the lens and the bokeh are added in photoshop for the picture) I have shown the mesh animated previously if you want to get the idea of how the water flows.
    It is tessellated towards the camera and flat in the distance. It is overlaid with another layer which is an additive texture of the background for reflection which has rows of vertices animated using bones to distort the surface as if the reflection is refracted.
    The lens flare would be a billboarded model like the one I made some time in the past and the bokeh glitters would be made using particle emitters.

Obviously, it won't look as good as the shopped image but the native bokeh and DOF of ENB may make it look similar.
    Hows about that ? Or is it too fancy ?
    This is of course, the background water. It would only work in controlled camera angle where the player cannot get any closer.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  3. tobyfat50

tobyfat50

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That must really be a pain to handle!

Ok, there are some things you can try like Terrain 1.0. It can generate terrain from height maps, I used this to make the wow terrains. It works by replacing the w3j file or something I don't remember, haven't used this for a long time. If it can do that maybe it can also completely remove the terrain or you could try that yourself but I don't see it working, will probably generate your a nice error.
    The other thing would be Zépir's War3 Map Editor 1.0 wich I heard it can mess with the pathing and shadows also capable of drawing them on the minimap using a pen tool. Haven't tested this, maybe it doesn't even have a option to remove the terrain but it could be worth looking at.

As for the far clipping, try this sample map with cinematic cameras Camera Map. There are 2 camera models Camera_Mountain Scene01 with the far clipping 50000 and Camera F200 with field of view 200, you can add higher values if you want. Not sure about the far clipp as they even have near click options to but don't seem to work under 10 but the FOV works. You can export such cameras for 3ds max or create the in model editor. Open one in the editor to modify the values I'm actually using them in ep 2. The problem is that while activated this cameras are frozen so, I guess they were meant for cinematics only. To position one place a normal camera and it will play in that point but watch out, the facing is not the same as the regular cameras, it's something like from lateral of the camera which is annoying to figure (why I'm having a hard time with my cinematic). Maybe you can find some way, that's all I know!

Pff....
    Sorry for having to use tusfiles! For some reason my slow internet doesn't work with pastebin at all, not even 1 kbit. Too lazy to move from tusfiles but I'll use 4shared or something eventually.

EDIT: The water is superb! There is no such thing as enough of something good! keep improving it!

4. Systemfre1

Systemfre1

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Surely the terrain has a file saved somewhere in the map MPQ.

Like how the lighting for maps has a file that you can set to nothing so the map ends up completely black.
    Perhaps you can change the terrain to nothing?
    But then terrain controls the pathing doesn't it? therefore it'd pretty much end up in a crash.

5. tobyfat50

tobyfat50

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Unfortunately That's what I think will happen, it seems objects stick to the terrain pathing. If there is no padding/no terrain, where will the objects go? Is it even possible to place them anywhere, nowhere within the editor? It would be awesome if it would work do.

6. Systemfre1

Systemfre1

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Indeed.
    In the editor if you have an object with pathing, you still can't place a unit on there.
    Only ingame do they stick to the object.
    It has to be placed on the terrain :S so I guess thats that. :(
    Would be cool if there was some sort of way around this, perhaps replacing it with a plane that has less polys?

7. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    It would only really require to change the render state of the terrain off like the editor does when you press ctrl+T, but I don't think there is any convenient way to do that in-game so yeah.

Also, the change of the logo does actually reflect the theme better now.
    I think the heavy emphasis on the world's realism made me stray off the original path a little too much.
    It was quite a bit ago that I realized that without being stylized the environment has no character at all and it is a bunch of objects that don't quite make sense or fit together at all.
    The original listing was after all:
    and that is the kind of art direction I want to stay on.

[​IMG]

Also, I'm home today and the weekend ! So some work is going to be done.

8. Manoo

Manoo

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    oh it took some times from my last post :D. Any way I'm happy to see its still progressing. By the way nice logo, but I think it doesn't fit horror theme at all its more like fiery rpg stylish, it doesn't fit the name meaning, that's all :/. I recommend to reconsider your logo, but its my opinion :).
    By the way u should put less effort on trying to improve model graphics its already enough for wc3, because u won't gona finish it soon. Any way keep it going!

9. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Lol, ok my gentlemen ! I heed your call and stylized the logotype further.
    Don't worry though, no more graphix experimentation. I'm fairly sure I got the right direction now and it is going fairly well.
    Actually so well I may make a chapter more than what I recently concluded.

[​IMG]

10. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    There, now that's better.
    When do I get to test the thing?

11. bethmachine

bethmachine

Resources:
    Resources:
    Looking great, are you going to maybe later on release some models from Momento Mori?

12. tobyfat50

tobyfat50

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The new logo looks better. Like it!
    Well, it can be improved more until he feels like there's nothing more to be done but maybe he should release a first version. Since I got my project split in 3 ep I researched tech but not to much for ep one. When I felt I did enough work on it I release the first ep. While I was still researching I decided to post the current version of ep one and make the second one better. Of course I still could research for ep 2 but I guess the time has come to work at finishing it. A Lot of tech I reserchet so far for ep 2 I will implement in episode 3. So it all depend on him if he feels like it's enough or not.

Conclusion: I don't know about you but I think you got enough tech to start a first release. Me and the other fans would like to have a taste of your stuff!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  13. Systemfre1

Systemfre1

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Agreed.

14. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    :p when its done. *Blizzard* I reckon this christmas the first two chapters should be fairly playable.

Most likely not, maaybe something very generic like trash cans/furniture and small doodads, if anything.

About the tech and stuff, I do not develop any more of it because the art direction I feel (finally) is done.
    What is left is to keep making the level design and because you know, mostly everything is modeled by me it may take some time but that is only because I want to keep the quality consistent.

I realize it would be too much of a wait to develop all at once, that is why I decided early on to make the mod periodic.
    Did a lot of concept work and I finally settled everything in stone, the levels the narrative and the script.

It is gonna be like this:
    Chapter 0 :
    • Rude Awakening - A tutorial map, progress most likely won't transfer over to the next chapters.
    Takes place at L.A downtown, places to explore (or are part of the level but not explicitly accessible) are Omni Hotel, Museum Tower apartments, Olive ST. apartments and Colburn school.
    Also contains a couple of flooded parking lots to explore as part of the level.

Chapter 1 :
    • Descent - Takes place at the historic core of L.A, places to explore are mostly shops like 7 eleven and Rite Aid.
    • At Alexandria - Sub Map, takes place at Alexandria hotel, at the historic core of L.A

Chapter 2 :
    • Into the Darkness - Sub Map, takes place in the L.A subway system.
    • Lost in the Light - Takes place at the L.A downtown. It is the third and the final "core" map.
    • Memento Mori - Sub Map and the final map, takes place at Deloitte tower at California plaza, L.A downtown

At this moment, the most work is done on the Descent map, but I actively work on the Rude Awakening to release that one first as the "demo" map.
    At Alexandria and Into the Darkness are smaller maps that I have assets for but there is no other work done on them.
    The last two maps are not started yet and I can't really say an ETA on them.
    The chapter 0 should come out or be fairly playable during this Christmas, while Descent may come out at Q1 of 2014.
    I hope to finish the Chapter 2 as well, because the story won't make sense otherwise. Though it is a bit too early to tell yet when exactly that would be.

Also, here is a test I did using the ivy generator that Toby found on one of the buildings.
    It looks kick arse but I have no idea how you'd reduce that from the 300k polies it has lol.

[​IMG]

And here is one that I tried to project onto a plane. It may look good with actual texture and with extra detail you add manually but the texture size is gonna be an issue for bigger things.
    Probably not very great for close ups, but looks really handy for some of the background buildings.
    Though generally, it is great for rendering textures, especially cause you can use your own textures for the leaves and branches. Another thing is you can use it to grow leaves on makeshift trees as well, by letting the ivy grow over the branches then export only the leaves without the branches mesh.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  15. bethmachine

bethmachine

Resources:
    Resources:
  16. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Great progress! So on what assets are you working on! I look forward for it's release( don't worry, i will wait for it!)
    And also i would like to know if you made the ENB work better for the game.
    Thanks!

17. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    On everything, actually. Mostly concept art for the level though.
    And also been tinkering around the HUD with the little time I have available. I'm brainstorming over how to make a loot system, initially I just made it so that whatever you find is automatically added into your inventory.
    Though I will probably settle with a three-dimensional floating HUD for loot window, with like 6 slots and icons will be made with attachments attached to the base window which will be a dummy unit and you will be able to control it like the inventory. (arrows for navigation, [e] to loot etc)
    I put a lot of effort into polishing the interface, there will be a lot of HUD display given how none of the wc3 interface elements will be useful for anything in the mod.
    When looting, when interacting with objects or cycling through the hotbar.

And that's one of the concepts for an example. Most of the building is non playable area only except for the service entrance in the low left corner which is a hideout entrance as implied by the blue glow which is roughly how interactive objects are displayed.
    This is the Colburn school building, see comparison to the real life location below. It is nearly identical to the real thing, except for some extra geometry I added so it looks less simple in-game. (such as those extruded corners)
    The model is the most complex at the bottom (where the windows have actual broken glass) and gets progressively lower poly on the way to the top because those parts are never really seen from close enough anyway.
    It's also not finished obviously, I model first and make texture/wrap much later because that is the tedious part.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Doomguy80

Doomguy80

Resources:
    Resources:
    Looks epic.

19. tobyfat50

tobyfat50

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That is beautiful Tal`! Did you use default scan line with sunlight or mental ray with daylight system and at what render settings? I bet the Interface will be mindblow as well.

Getting that IVI optimized is harder than I initially thought, to keep it HQ I need to make smaller planes and lots of them plus maybe a parallax added maybe?! I wonder how yours gonna turn out.

I noticed that wc3 doesn render the shadow maps as they are displayed in 3ds max because of the way modulate shades the textures which is a slightly darker - yellowish. Also not everything renters when baking textures unfortunately for us.

20. savinguptobebroke

savinguptobebroke

Resources:
    Resources:
    :jd:
    The game looks amazing want it so bad I look forward to it's release and keep up the good work
    + rep

My brother thinks it's running on Cry engine