1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Role Playing Game] Memento Mori

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by Talavaj, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I'm afraid not, or not that I know of.
    From what I gather ENB does not communicate with the game directly, hence why it can be used on virtually anything that uses direct 3D 8/9 to render the graphics.
    This build has some experimental support for bump and parallax mapping, however I believe this is faked from the diffuse map (and ends up looking hideous as a result) but it does not seem to work in wc3.
    These and reflection/water shader seem to be tailored specifically for San Andreas and won't work in other games.

Speaking of which, I noticed magos can add an environment map material tag but this does not seem to do anything in the game.
    Heard anything of that ? Sphere mapping is simple but would be amazing to have even that. This is the kind of data that is not used I assume ? What else is there ?

2. Mythic

Mythic

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    OMG everything is so realistic. Do you make these models?

3. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Yes, all the models and rest of the art are made by me exclusively for this mod. The main character is made by Manoo.

4. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I'm currently making NeoDex export directly to MDX format and i've found some extremely weird shit. There are many unknown flags in materials. Models can have external animation files which I don't really know what they are for or how they are used. There's a type of particle emitter which can emit models and works differently to particle emitters 2, sadly testing it is a pain because magos erase them, a big motivation to make NeoDex export directly to mdx and forget of mago's crap. I also found Animations have an extra value called sync point which I have no idea how it works. There's plenty of unused data in geosets like types of faces (triangles, trianglefans, quads, etc). There's a flag called DropShadow on geosets which I haven't tested. There are more types of colission objects like planes and cylinders.

Material flags:
    //#1 - ConstantColor
    //#2 - ???
    //#4 - ???
    //#8 - SortPrimitivesNearZ
    //#16 - SortPrimitivesFarZ
    //#32 - FullResolution

there are 2 flags that exist and no body knows what they do.

5. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Fascinating. I hope you can figure some of that out. You've already made NeoDex nearly as good as art tools, and better in several aspects. If you can figure some of that out and find some super awesome feature hidden within warcraft 3 NeoDex will go above and beyond art tools.
    That drop shadow flag is particularly interesting. Drop shadow usually refers to a type of shadow used in 2d art, but if it's on a 3d geoset I have no idea what it means. Maybe they were trying to make a better shadow system? I have no idea.

Do you know anything about those two ??? flags?

I have no idea what constant color could be for.
    I also have no idea what the sorting primitives flags are.
    The full resolution flag sounds sort of like it might turn of mipmapping? Who knows.

Maybe some of this stuff was used in the Arthas vs Illidan model. If you open up the model file, you'll notice for one thing it actually has no animations. External animation file?
    Also, if you watch the fight, you'll notice that both arthas and illidan have what I think is real time shadows.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB82pF_64mw Here is a video of the fight.
    If you open the model up in the editor and look at arthas's face, you'll notice that although it has no animations, arthas's hair is blowing in the wind with what appears to be real time shadows cast by the hair.
    There are several large black planes in the model, which are sort of shown in the fight, and several interesting particle effects, including what looks like snow falling up, and a bunch of smoke coming from the cave entrance.
    You can also open up the cinematic illidan model, which appears to be the same or almost the same model used in the pre-rendered illidan cinematic in TFT where he summons nagas. Except the textures are messed up.

EDIT: After looking in the MPQ, I found that the arthas vs illidan model was bundled with a bunch of textures that seemed to be an animated texture sequence for the shadows. However, when I opened them, every last one was just a 16 x 16 black square.
    I also opened up the map with said model. This is how blizzard activates it.

call PlayModelCinematic( "Doodads\\Cinematic\\ArthasIllidanFight\\ArthasIllidanFight.mdl" )

In addition I found 6 files with the extension .mrf under Doodads/Cinematic/ArthasIllidanFight in war3xlocal.mpq
    They are named ArthasCape0000 - ArthasCape0005

And guess what else I found. I converted it to mdl and opened it in notepad and found a crazy amount of weird shit, including the constant color material.

I've attached a zip with the mdl and mdx versions of the fight model, the map in which the arthas v illidan model is used, and all 6 mrf files.

I suggest you look at the mdx in magos, look at the mdl in notepad, and look at the map.
    I'm going to take a look at the cinematic illidan model now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  6. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Let's continue the discussion here. So we can stay in topic here:
    https://www.hiveworkshop.com/posts/2389252/

7. tobyfat50

tobyfat50

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Truly if you can develop neodex to be better than the art tools then I'll have to give up on the art tools. Some of the dex features are very useful and you can't find them in art tools also haven't figured out how to make them work in art tools but they contain one thing that is crucial to my work and that is the Composite material multi uvw that works.

Travaj, The main character made by Manoo looks great, makes me wonder how it would look with bumpage. You could make a texture directly with bumpage on but I'm guessing you will use some new tech for that wich is which is why I have to ask, are you going to make this features work the ENB exclusively?

8. RiotZ

RiotZ

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Undoubtedly this will require explicit amounts of imports and likely a major change to the MPQ, yes?

9. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Yes, pretty much everything is gonna be custom assets.
    As for MPQ change, dunno. Didn't consider that.

Also there is this, I scrapped a lot of resources from the mod. Because the overall look was really weirdly inconsistent. The separate models were ok but it didn't go well together.
    A lot of unpleasant shit happened in my life recently which resulted in a creative meltdown, I keep making things but always end up dissatisfied.
    What I'm gonna do is I'm gonna do more research, and wait around for a while for BlinkBoy's NeoDex 2 and do a tiny experiment meanwhile.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  10. anby

anby

Resources:
    Resources:
    Could i translate this post and post on my blog?(Attached the original link)

11. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Sure !

12. anby

anby

Resources:
    Resources:
    :ogre_hurrhurr:Thanks,guy.

13. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Hello there. Sorry for the apparent lack of updates in the thread. The project is obviously still in development.
    I just did not have much to update on. I have been busy with personal stuff and the little time left went mostly into Stone & Sword pack.
    I would like to dish out some gameplay footage sometime soon. Mostly concerning the camera, inventory, object interaction and the dynamic hud.

Meanwhile hope you like sharks. The good guy, scary silhouette pal from the first teaser.
    He is still in concept stages and I don't know how much geometry detail will be kept but yeah. (the rest of the small fine detail will be baked into the texture)
    He has a fully wrapped low poly mesh (680 tris) and I'm just going through a couple of tries to finalize the design.
    I reckon showing off monsters from a horror themed project ruins the tension but ! at least something for the taste for now.
    I know it is not how shark fins look like, it is not a shark :p. What role he will play in the mod will be for you to experience !

[​IMG]

14. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Nice looking shark! Can't wait to see some gameplay. Tell me if you need any help on monster models.

15. Strydhaizer

Strydhaizer

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Guessing its high poly D:

16. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    About two million polygons. That is about the max subdivision my pc can handle. It has an 8,5 million subdivision but it gets a bit choppy at that point, besides I don't need that much detail for the most part.
    If this was SC2 he would get nearly all of that detail with a normal map, alas because this is wc3 I will only bake the diffuse and ambient occlusion from it so all the detail will stay on the texture. (hopefully)

If the 512p texture will be too small I'll have to chop him in the middle I reckon.
    I have also been playing the Outlast, I dig the art direction so a few things may be inspired after it.

17. Felipe Gormadoc

Felipe Gormadoc

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    beautiful models, exellent lighting.
    One good lighting brings every emotion to the game. ^^

+REP

18. Strydhaizer

Strydhaizer

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Dont tell me that you're going to use it in Warcraft D:

19. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I am, not the 2 million poly model of course. When the model gets sculpted and painted the small details will be baked into the texture.

As for other news, I had to scrap levels 1 and 2 unfortunately, or their design rather.
    They were intended to be set in the little Tokyo and in the civic center of LA. Unfortunately the environment although really nice was not ideal from game level design perspective.
    There was too much open space, with either too few large or too many small buildings and it was pain in arse to make a good logical playable environment with.
    Another reason is time constraints, the levels had way too many detailed and unique buildings and it made the entire production so very not feasible.
    Although I would really love to keep them (or little Tokyo at least) because they had some designs I loved, I was forced to ditch them, considering the two levels were supposed to be introductory I opted to start with the more uniform (but also more exciting) design of the later levels.
    As a result there will be no openish levels and it will be mostly dense urban jungle of LA downtown. (which I do however believe will look better)

And some progress on the lad
    [​IMG]

20. Strydhaizer

Strydhaizer

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    It looks like a tortured shark now :D