1. The Melee Mapping Contest #4: 2v2 - Results are out! Step by to congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're hosting the 15th Mini-Mapping Contest with YouTuber Abelhawk! The contestants are to create a custom map that uses the hidden content within Warcraft 3 or is inspired by any of the many secrets within the game.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The 20th iteration of the Terraining Contest is upon us! Join and create exquisite Water Structures for it.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Melee Mapping contest #3 - Results

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Mr.Henci, Feb 22, 2019.

1. W3Sour

W3Sour

Resources:
    Resources:
    It's actually interesting because the maps that placed top 4. (Nerubian Passage, Northmarsch Ruin, Northern Felwood & Golden Oases)
    are the ones that I believed had the most potential to be ladder maps when I was doing the reviews, so I guess the scores did end up bring pretty spot on.
    The first 3 are pretty much ready to go, but Golden Oases needs to fix up a few things. Desert Mirage & Frozen Peak aren't too far off either.

I was able to contact Kam last year and get Swamped Temple, Northern Ises and Synergy on the mappool, which is awesome.
    I'll be looking to do the same again with the top 4 placed maps here, as I believe they have the most potential to have a spot on the ladder.
    I'll go over again just quickly what I think could be touched up before I send a suggest a 4v4 mappool to Blizzard.

- Northern Felwood: Needs no changes. @mafe

- Nerubian Passage: Potentially the skeleton creeps do something about the aggro. I also noticed, but didn't mention in the initial review that some of the entrances around the main bases have too much trees. Look into opening it up a bit more and making it less chokey. @JaleVeliki

- Northmarsch Ruin: The items aren't a major deal that I mentioned in my review, but could be improved. I still think the creeps at the shop should sleep though.
    The main thing for me is the trees and tight spacing around the main bases and fountain area. Could and should be a lot more open, including the entrances on side. Also the natural expo moved back. Although the -2 for the no borders was probably a little harsh in retrospect. Kam who represents Blizzard refused to take Synergy into the mappool initially because there was visible borders, so in order to get it onto the mappool there needs to be no borders. It's basically Blizz's rule. @Arrr

- Golden Oases: Biggest thing here, that Wtii also touched on, is the trees around the main bases - just completely open it up. We both noted too many air camps. Remove top and bot fountain and place in mid. Replace those with 2 additional goblin shops. and switch the creeps to ground. Some of the items need revision too as I discussed.
    @XanderD

If those things are are looked at, and can you keep improving and revising it in other ways, before I send my suggestions to Kam, would be great.

@DuckDuckGoose Yeah sorry I apologize, there is a mistake there. Your score is supposed to be 57, not 55. I don't think I found any bugs there.
    @mmtt Haha, I totally overlooked that, I did see it initially but must have forgot about it as I did some the reviews on different days when I was mid-way through them.
    Also, good job on the changes so far. Definite improvement already. There is still some things I would change, I will private message you about particular details.

2. JaleVeliki

JaleVeliki

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    What about Legion's Demise? Could be improved into proper 4v4.

3. Knecht

Knecht

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Nah, it could be made into a 3v3 map with 8 spawns. The main problem is the layout though, it might work better if I turned the map "inside out" with things facing towards the middle instead of outside since there's not much that would keep the mid interesting as of now. There's a lot to be done on that map, terrain, creeps and items - basically an overall overhaul.

4. XanderD

XanderD

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm always willing to improve this map. Although the thing with the base entrances I actually did on purpose to make it unusual. But nevermind, it was an idea that didn't fully work out. I did read what you wrote about the creep camps in your review and I would like to contact you next week about this, if you're willing. This weekend I'll be too busy - there's a wedding party tomorrow and I'm the maid of honor.

5. XanderD

XanderD

Resources:
    Resources:
    @WTii is reviewing the maps on his stream right now: Twitch

6. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    Will he upload it to youtube??, because he has a youtube channel

7. XanderD

XanderD

Resources:
    Resources:
    For sure.

8. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    Agree with you but, with that criteria, what about the other 4 maps that got more score than Legion Demise (because Legion Demise is in 9th post)
    Probably Blizzard doesn´t need that much amount of 4v4 and is fair that the top 4 earns the recomendations.

9. Restor

Restor

Resources:
    Resources:
    Wau, I didnt expect that I will be on 5th spot.

Honestly, I see more and more flaws in my map each time I play or view it. Reviews from judges are great, with many very specific things which can be improved. I personally will try to update my map on the grounds of those reviews.

10. mafe

mafe

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thanks to all of you who made this contest a great joy and success! In particular the organinzers, judges and also the participants.

I havent really found time to read through all of it yet, but I am impressed how much work you put into analyzing the maps, @W3Sour and @WTii .
    Again, I think the overall quality of the maps has once again increased from the previous contest.

11. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
  12. Restor

Restor

Resources:
    Resources:
  13. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    thanks!!

14. Fang

Fang

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Congratlualtions to all participants! I might join this contest later ^^

15. Twilight

Twilight

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Congrats to the winners and well done to all the contestants!! All your maps are amazing and well made!! Keep up the great work people! Best of luck in further contests!

16. mafe

mafe

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources: