1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Melee Mapping Contest #2 - 1 vs 1

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Mr.Henci, Aug 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Panda

The Panda

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Kinda funny when i told you to stop and you said ok now your defending yourself. Ok, well do what you want then.

2. Pyrogasm

Pyrogasm

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Perhaps Ragnaros simply reconsidered how they felt about stopping. Is that so bad? We should all be diligent about checking and altering our opinions if we feel so moved.

3. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    thanks, really, to me the topic about my actions ends here.

Thanks for your words, but I really like to end this topic, this topic harms the contest, is sad that all others users have to read this and don´t post about their maps, I want to talk about maps, wips,

This is not the place to debate my actions.
    If my actions ( the beta-test, videos and feedback) are bad, lets @Naze decide my fate and no more opinions about myself, I really, really want this topic end and
    that the contest continue.

@Knecht

Maybe my 1.26 is old but look how I see the bridges:

I hope they work in your 1.30 v,

I think I understand whats happening, you used negative orientation numbers that means like inclination

-30 or something like that if the user doesn´t have it activated in editor or something like that I think that happen, you should check it, if others testers had the same problem it may be because of the negative numbers more than version

also I can´t use the bridges.

hope to help.

trees

upload_2018-9-1_22-54-0.png
    upload_2018-9-1_22-54-43.png

in my map I did this, a cool combination of fire and ice theme. A way to obtain water.

Doodads used: glaciers, braziers, tables, the wood by funkid2 and the awsome fountain by skrab.

Even I used steam bubbles, I never used those doodads until now. :)

upload_2018-9-1_23-5-50.png

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  4. RFWH

RFWH

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Here's my WIP.

lollol005.jpg lollol002.jpg lollol003.jpg lollol004.jpg

*** QUESTION : IS A TAVERN REQUIRED???? (Such as RoC maps) - If it is I will add one, but I don't want to. ***

~~~~

5. mafe

mafe

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  6. Blood Raven

Blood Raven

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I just wanna say, there is no such thing as "non judgable". There is nothing perfect in our world. Perfection is not achievable.
    Sure, user feedback might help us remove the biggest flaws in our projects, but judging is very objective. What one might like, another might dislike. And the feedback might not always be good advice, it's up to the mapper to decide if it's worth implementing in their map. One way or the other, there is going to be a lot to judge, there is no chance to reach a "non-judgeable" state.

If there was a rule that contestants weren't allowed to give each other feedback, I don't think I'd join a single contest. It's that kind of communication that helps a community grow together, not apart.
    So can we stop this pointless discussion please? User feedback has been in each and every one contest so far, and it's not going away. Nothing has exploded because of it, and it's not going to. Calm down.

7. nightelfbuilder

nightelfbuilder

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I suggest that you both talk about this inside the melee group chat or just between you two, settle this before it gets out of hand.

8. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Simple statements shouldn't be exageratted:
    1. Panda thinks to wait for such type of given feedback by Ragnaros
    2. Ragnaros thinks given feedback is in acceptable range
    3. .. End ..
    .. it's only some disagreement, no need to tell someone "you can drop contest if you don't agree..", "you have no authority to ask me..", and of course Panda also could not punish someone in this case. Seems like wasted pushing.
    If there's a problem in someone's opinion then everyone has for sure the authority to voice out his opinion, but if that's really the same thing Appointed Staff agrees with that it requires punishment, can be something different.. so one can handle it calmly by just also explaining his opinion.

In the end it's a shame if someone thinks about leaving contest because of an emotional discussion where nothing really happend.

9. Knecht

Knecht

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Ragnaros17 Haha :cgrin: just as I feared - the players won't know how to use the bridges.
    Here's what you have to do:
    1) Get yourself a siege unit - demolisher, meat wagon, etc
    2) Aim for the rune (since aiming for the tree won't do anything, weird hitbox)
    3) Enjoy the new bridge

Thanks for the vids mate, appreciate it. Imo it's good that the people here give each other the feedback, really helps the creators.

10. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    @IcemanBo @The Panda

My apology for @The Panda for the coment: "you can drop contest if you don't like it", that was bad and very unnecesary from my part.

I could have said my opinion but much more civilizated. I am sorry

Agree

the tavern is needed for resurrect the hero fast and to buy heroes to balance the NE race. NE don´t have a strong hero, they have agility and inteligent. Thats why NE tend to buy Rexarr or the Pandarem heroes for melee combat.

Your goldmines seems very exposed, the goldmine and the wood are far away each other, is necesary to have wood near, to protect the harvesters (peos, wisps, acolites), try to do some kind of U region.

Same goes for goldmines without wood, you can do a U region with cliff or deep water.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  11. Rockstar356

Rockstar356

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    There are still places?
    I want to participate! :)

12. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    Limit is 30 (for the moment, is not written in stone yet), we are 21, so yes you are in, glad you join us.!!

good luck

Okey, if that the case don´t forget to explain it well in the description, people won´t figure out.

edit: it worked!!!,

is very original but: NE and orcs can do that in Tier 1, while HU and Undead only can in Tier 2, (the siege units I mean).
    just saying.

edit:

I didn´t test the trees with AOE skills of the heroes, it may destroy the bridge too.

sieg unit

upload_2018-9-2_12-25-16.png

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  13. RFWH

RFWH

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @mafe
    You mean goblin shops are not allowed?

@Ragnaros17
    You mean the first expansion? OK

14. mafe

mafe

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    No, I mean that a map must have both a tavern and a goblin shop if it wants to have a chance to be balanced.

15. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:

upload_2018-9-2_15-13-11.png

those goldmines can´t be defended, your peons will be killed since it has 360º uncovered. There is a concept called standard base.
    like your main base.

by the way, the map looks cool.

edit: oh unfinished, of course, now I see the tileset as future U area.

edit:

General comment: the lightining rod (charged level 2), there are tons of post about its imbalance mostly against human footmans. If you put a marketplace and charged level 2 items manually excluding the rod, it will appear (happened to me with an item I wanted to exclude from game, the tome of the deads).
    After using it, I think is not more powerfull than the scroll of protection or scroll of the beast (if I want to win I buy scrolls of protection and of heal), or than the fire skill of the mage. But I think that item worths as a charged level 3, not a charged level 2.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  16. RFWH

RFWH

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @mafe
    I edited, now the map has one Goblin Merchant, two Taverns, one Zeppelin.

@Ragnaros17
    Those were unfinished. I think they are better now but since they are expansions and close to the player base I don't want to make them too defended. The player can wall in with buildings to fortify it.

17. Avahor

Avahor

Resources:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    first version

Attached Files:

18. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    if you are interested in some feedback, I played your map, and did a video, like I did with others maps.

https://www.hiveworkshop.com/attachments/avahor-map-part1-rar.305779/

https://www.hiveworkshop.com/attachments/avahor-map-part2-rar.305778/

I like the design/layout of the map and the enviroment you created by using a lot of tilesets.

I chrono the time that requires to reach from one base to another. The time that is required is 1 min and 7 sec.
    Since the size is 192x96, 192 is like some large distance to walk from one part to another.

128x96 size may reduce the walking distance, but well, is up to you if you want to reduce size or not.

Apart from the size (If you want to keep it in 192x96), I can sugest 2 things from the play.

map

upload_2018-9-2_22-55-44.png

1) When I was in the yellow X with my army, the enemy destroyed my Ancient of War in the merc creep and went to my goldmine (yellow arrow), I went to the goldmine as fast as I could but imposible to defend it and reach it time. Maybe do a conection between areas where I put the green line.
    2) The goblin lab seems to be to far away from the "game", it took me 42 seconds to reach it from the base. Maybe a conection where I put the red line can again decrese the walking distance.

Again this are just a couple of subjetive sugestion, is up to you if you think my sugestion can improve the map

I wish good luck and see ya.

19. RFWH

RFWH

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    First version uploaded available here!
    :wwink:

Comments and playtesting appreciated :)

@Avahor
    The map looks very detailed, sort of like WoW style!

- It's big
    - Lots of trees
    - reminds me of that island map from roc

20. Avahor

Avahor

Resources:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Ragnaros17 thank you for the feedback. Indeed some areas of the map aren't resolved yet, I'll add those shorcuts. Abut the size of the map, let me think about it.

@RFWH thank you mate!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.