1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Melee Mapping Contest #2 - 1 vs 1

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Mr.Henci, Aug 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mafe

mafe

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I would be ok with that. Anything that gets more attention to melee mapping is welcome.

I linked him this thread in a reddit post about his latest video, so he is probably aware something is going on here:
    Orange Talks: New Maps : WC3

If I'm nitpicky, I wasnt entirely happy with some of his comments about the maps from the last comment (well, mostly because he wasnt supportive of my random building idea that I was so proud of). Then again, it is not up to me to tell him how much time he invests into his hobby and to figure out the intentions of the mapmakers by testing each map for hours. And in the end, he probably has more knowledge about what matters for 1v1 than I do.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  2. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    You have made good points, thanks to that, if before I had a lot of blind enthusiasm, now I am considering others... factors regarding the contest itself.

I remember his opinion about your random buildings. "He said something like it was a cool concept, that the game changes, but on the other hand it also may create some problems, is not the same to have 2 goblin markets than one or even a market place.

It was his opinion, he also stated recently he doesn´t like marketplace much (because items are expensive so you need gold reserves and sometimes you just get low level items). I designed half of my map thinking to balance a market-place, is ok if he doesn´t like it.

for the moment, I won´t do anything (there is plenty of time), until I/ us are shure about this matter
    I asked Naze opinion by pm.

3. Rockstar356

Rockstar356

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It's a lot to read. In short, I agree with the idea, there is no problem in this at least for me.
    I also understand that some do not agree, we do not know anything about the boy who will think about the maps. But as long as they are objective criticisms, I think there is no problem. Anyway I do not know anything about the judge of this contest so, it's the same.

4. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    for the moment, I won´t do anything (there is plenty of time), until I/ us are shure about this matter.
    I asked Naze opinion by pm.

Hive Melee Map Contest

This file is still online, it has the reviews of the first melee contest. Sister-She was judge in the first melee contest and again in the second one.
    Reading reviews is good way to know how the other person judge.

5. Knecht

Knecht

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I remember Orange from the last contest. I'm for it.

Inb4 "tavern in the middle: -10 points" :cgrin: and "map too red"

6. JaleVeliki

JaleVeliki

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Where to upload WIP version of the map for this contest so people can download check it out? Just under Maps and resources - maps?

7. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    you can upload a pastebin and put the link here to receive feedback in this thread.

upload_2018-9-17_17-49-18.png

or you can go to map section and upload your map. You must state that your map is for the contest in the description so it won´t be moderated by reviewers. (for the final entry you have to upload it in the map section).

upload_2018-9-17_17-50-54.png

8. JaleVeliki

JaleVeliki

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  9. Naze

Naze

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hey all!

Just wanted you guys to know that I talked a bit with Ragnaros and he'll get in touch with Orange to see if he accepts being an additional judge making video reviews of the entries. We'll make sure he understands we have contest criteria when giving the scores, along with other details that I discussed with Ragnaros

I misunderstood. Ragnaros will ask Orange if he simply wants to review the maps in youtube videos (like he did before), not be an official judge. I told him there's no problem with it, since this wouldn't interfere with the usual contest process.

Since he won't be a judge, his reviews won't count in the results calculation. His videos will be linked in the results thread as an additional source of feedback for those interested in seeing it, and his name and channel will be mentioned in main post.

So there's nothing official yet. Let's see if it works out.

Have a nice day everyone! =)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  10. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yes I have to say a couple of things:

1) the idea of get in touch with the youtube user never had relation with judges and score, it was just a publicity (win-win relation) idea independent of the contest.

2) about the second judge, I talked to Mr.Henci and, well we have someone or two in mind (won´t say names). And I think in my opinion that it should be a person already inside the Hive that knows the Hive, I think.

3) The idea is very interesting, but others factors must be taken in account, and well maybe delay the request until the contest end and the poll is out, the question is when, there is still time to debate this topic.

4) I would also like to hear the opinion of the rest of the participants about the question I made about ask the posibility to have youtube difusion, I am counting the opinions, 17 users stated their opinion, I hope the 4 rest can also do it (a "yes",a "no", or a "I don´t care"): Melee Mapping Contest #2

For the moment I have 14 positive opinion and 4 neutral opinions about the topic I stated.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  11. foje tit

foje tit

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    WIP

"Aesopian Waterway"

Does not really meet what I had in my mind 4.jpg

12. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    It does look really good!!!

A friendly sugestion, always try to have wide path, a rule I follow is 8-9 wc3 editor pixels as min
    upload_2018-9-19_12-24-50.png

so my sugestion is try to make those paths wide to avoid chokepoints and bottlenecks

and try to wall bases with dense wood so they will be protected by a wood barrier. (to have the peons protected).

13. foje tit

foje tit

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    thanks, I will keep that on mind

Is 20+ creep camp too much?

14. Isaak

Isaak

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    i havent been into wc3 for a long time but after watching some streams lately and seeing this contest i also wanted to join :), here is my submission: TheCursedSalesman

this is the map:
    [​IMG]

and here is a wip shot from the concept stage:
    [​IMG]

15. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    Perfect that you uploaded a WIP, so everything is ok, @Mr.Henci will add you to the list shortly (when he see this).

that level is perfect for a red creep, depends on what you want to defend.

16. Arrr

Arrr

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The map should be ready for release, going to keep it at v0.9 just in case I decide to change something still.

War3 does not work anymore for me after patching, will have to work on the ptr editor I guess (weird how 1.31PTR works while live doesn't)

Attached Files:

17. Mr.Henci

Mr.Henci

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Alright, nearly thought I won't be able to finish it. There is still a room for improvements, but I'm quite happy how it turned out.

Silverwind Clearing

More that 10 final entries, I must say I'm impressed. 3 days to go guys.

18. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    It looks very good. I do love those fountains with page down, that was clever.
    and the bridges are very well used.

another very good map, a pure Ashenvale terrained map. Clever that you also used the sunken ruins creeps in the water parts
    those waterfalls are great.

19. Twilight

Twilight

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Ragnaros17
    ^ Same here

20. Ascrelle

Ascrelle

Resources:
    Maps: