1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Secrets of Warcraft 3 have revealed interesting works. The RESULTS for Abelhawk's Mini-Mapping Contest #15 have come out!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Night Rider gained several songs for his journey. The poll for the 12th Music Contest has started. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Melee Mapping Contest #2 - 1 vs 1

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Mr.Henci, Aug 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    @vara ; @foje tit ; @modmoto

Friendly remind:

Melee Mapping Contest #2

"You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours."

Since the contest ends saturday 22, I would like to remind you (friendly) that to fullfill the rules you have to upload at least 1 WIP (work in progress of the map). 1 screen showing the map or some terrain parts will be ok.

good luck and see ya.

2. Blood Raven

Blood Raven

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Here's my entry: Aetherium
    pic
    [​IMG]

There's a few balance-ish things that I'm unsure about, especially drops like artifacts, runes of speed, of the watcher, gold/lumber bundles etc. If anyone would like to give it a spin and let me know their opinion on the drop tables / creep camps / layout / whatever, I would be grateful.
    And good luck to all the contestants :]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  3. Remixer

Remixer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I'd recommend you to read the links (at least some) that are included in the Contest post. They're quite helpful and easy to get a hang-on and also provide good arguments and reasoning.

4. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    I was looking everybody maps and WIPs and I want to say that: this is a very hard contest (wich is excellent), I know is soon but I think this contest was a total success!!!

It was great to see new terraining and neutrals buildings options (and balance in general) in this contest.
    The quality of the maps is very high.

5. Mr.Henci

Mr.Henci

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Abovegame sorry to hear that. Hope you can participate in next one.

@Arrr , @JaleVeliki , @Rockstar356 , @Ragnaros17, @Blood Raven the maps/wips looks really good. Glad to see maps of such quallity.
    Yeah, don't forget about the WIPs, hope you guys can manage to show us something :)

I'm really happy to see all those maps. Since there is a less than a week of time, wish you all good luck with finishing your products.
    Here is a deadline timer, just as a little reminder.

6. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Sup guys!

Can we change anything of the map after we post our entry?

7. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    of course, you are free to update your map now and in 3 months, whenever you want. Update the map was done in the last melee contest.

the story is this.

there is time till saturday 22 september at 23.59.59 there the contest end.

maps will be downloaded and put in a folder or zip or whatever.
    if you update the map let say the 24-09, you are free to do it to, but judges will see the map downloaded the 23 at 0.00 or something like that.

in the last melee contest updates were free to do, the rules of the map section are independent of the contest, update the map is right (you migth even make a mistake , like upload the wrong version of your map, so update is a right).

no rule forbidden update the final entry (and such rule would go against the map section rules), and since there still time is good to use this time to fix things,

I wanted to upload the final entry this weekend (text + 30 screens) if my internet goes down the next weekend., also I had to do many updates of the text because it was long to write (+ fix grammar),
    also I upload it to receive some feedback, the map section is seen by almost everybody while this thread has a much more reduced audience.

also update is allowed to fix grammar or mistakes in the description like numbers of creeps (when you have 20 orange you may mistake the count).

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  8. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Understood, thanks! :]

9. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    @Remixer; @Knecht; @Erkan; @Mr.Henci; @mafe; @Arrr; @The Panda; @nightelfbuilder ; @RFWH; @Ascrelle; @Blood Raven; @vara; @PrinceYaser;
    @Twilight; @Rufus; @Avahor; @foje tit; @modmoto; @JaleVeliki; @Rockstar356

Important question:

I already talked with Mr.Henci and he agree with this idea but I think everybody should know / be agree with this idea.

two weeks a go (5 of september) the youtube user Orange did a video talking of the new Blizzard maps, including Swamped Temple, the Hiveworkshop map that got 2nd place in the first melee contest.

Orange reviewed all the maps in the first melee contest in 3 videos.

He also did many videos of competitive melee play (he tends to play with NE). I saw his videos for this contest and some hints of feedback I did was thanks to his knoledge.

Since he still active in youtube:

Maybe we can contact him (I can do it), to ask him to review the maps of the second melee contest. That will promote the Hive and the contest.

Here I list the good points of doing it (if he agree to do it):

1) High quality feedback (I studied his reviews, creeps details for this contest, he do explain very good points and bugs, his explanations may help for future maps).
    2) Promote the Hiveworkshop and the contest itself on youtube. Outsiders may see the videos.
    3) May help to organice future contest, new people may join the Hive and even may help to do co-sponsored contest with others sites in the future.
    4) May help to get ladder (the dream of all mappers). Tons of custom maps are rejected/discarted in ladder (even the oficial ones) and melee contest play because of minor things (like spawn position bugs or bad creeps selections,) that make the map unplayable since certain races may loose against others with no proper balance.

I ask you guys since your maps are gonna be reviewed.

please anwser if you agree/ like it or not.

If I get 15 no, then is a no,

but if I get 10 yes and 5 I don´t care, then is a yes.

see ya

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  10. Remixer

Remixer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Absolutely. I'd sell my soul to promote Hive and my maps.

11. JaleVeliki

JaleVeliki

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  12. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    This.

13. Blood Raven

Blood Raven

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Sounds like a good idea, if you can persuade him :D

14. The Panda

The Panda

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I dont care as long as hes true to his reviews, all i have to say.

15. Avahor

Avahor

Resources:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    nice idea!

edit: I've updated my entry.

16. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    well, the idea is to ask,

thanks for the fast awnser, since contest ends saturday there is plenty of time to discuss this.

is important to discuss it because after ask (if I do ask), there is no turning back.

I studied his reviews and he did make very good points like (learned a lot):

- undead can´t creep aerial units till Tier 2, while the other races (have archers, riflemans and trolls).
    - Some creep types are: healing, poison, slow, and ensnare. To much Poison is nasty for orcs and Humans (tested myself)
    - Scouting is very important, trees are very important.
    - Positioning the army and re-positioning the army is very important
    - Full golem red creeps are inmune to spells, and in tier 2 players relly on casters to creep.
    -Chokepoints may be dangerous, blademaster can kill other heroes trapped between armies.
    -Wall the base is important.
    -And a lot more.

17. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  18. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    4) I can delete my posts and continue with private chats if you think it is critcal.

19. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    No, that's not what I meant. Keep it more diplomatic, less you.

20. The Panda

The Panda

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    My point is since he doesnt have a HWS account (that we dont know of) and we dont know much about him, i just wanna make sure he knows what he says hes knows about maps and follows the HWS judges criteria.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.