• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mazing Contest Ultra (retired)

Reactions: deepstrasz
Mazing Contest Ultra (retired)
Created by Elvenking

With the release of Warcraft 3 Reforged i decided to retire my mazing contest ultra project as it never gained much popularity.
Many people are simply used to the old version name and host "mazing contest v2.x.
Everything i did in mazing contest ultra will be merged into the new major release of mazing contest v3.0.
This will hopefully be the last big change in version naming as it really got too confusing :D.
For more information about mazing contest and a growing community please join my discord channel:
Join the Mazing Crew Discord Server!

I won't update this topic anymore and moved everything into the mazing contest 3 project you can find here:
Mazing Contest v3.3

Screenshots

XIMkBZs.jpg

Change Log:

• larger build areas
  • redesigned most of the terrain

• fixed camera positions

• increased number of gold to 18-50 in normal mode
  • minor terrain changes (added some features)
  • improved red tower variation in speedrun mode
  • some additions to credits

• increased number of gold to 19-53 in normal mode (should be final value now)
  • added a small visual indicator to tower bombs, so you can see each others ideas
  • removed death animation of tower bombs so it doesn't block fast building (added a different explotion instead)
  • changed hotkey for ready button to R (was on B for eng clients and therefore not useable)

• neutral units are back
  • first "real" bugfix in any game mechanics. Maybe some explanation first: There are basically 2 major bugs in mazing contest since it release (e.g v1.2 has this bugs too). Here are 2 scenarios bug 1: https://i.imgur.com/8ANQO2y.jpg bug 2: https://i.imgur.com/rakBIjx.jpg. I was finally able to fix the bug 1, so you won't have to build a tower on that X to make the clap trigger. Regarding bug 2 i did not come up with any solution yet. Still these are no new bugs and classic mazing contest has them too!

• fixed bug 2 with an algorithm to always stun in exactly 45 degree (top right corner) of a thunderclap tower.
  • fixed bug that tower bomb indicators didn't despawn after the last round and persisted forever if you restart the game.

• fixed all bugs concerning thunderclaps not working. Each angle should now have the exact same behaviour.
  • Removed unnecessary code from former fixes to increase performance
  • added -cam option so you can adjust the camera distance in the game
  • finally updated all the total times
  • fixed bug in total times, they were not working correctly for 15 and 20 rounds
  • added new game mode "healtower" (read description above or ingame)
  • (Note: When 1.29 is live mazing contest 2 becomes 24 players and gets all this fixes here too.)

• again bugfix on thunderclaps. Increased range of the ability to 300 but trigger will only react at 250 range. This prevents thunderclaps that are castet but don't hit the runner.
  • reduced leak in healtower mode
  • reduced lumber in healtower mode to 3

• fixed -cam option, it saves distance in the following rounds until game restarts
  • added 2 new abilities to the builder unit for zoom in and zoom out
  • all players are now allied, these should hopefully fix the issue that not everyone can read the standard ally chat (people usually don't press shit+enter to chat in all)

• Mazing Contest 2.9 + Mazing Contest XL 1.7 (no further changes on the base maps)
  • integrated XL version into the classic size mazing contest map
  • created new terrain for 24 players in XL
  • added new dialog on start to choose game size
  • seperated XL and classic logic so the game can be restarted in any size again
  • further updates will now only happen in this combined version

• Added new game option "Checkpoints"
  • Added inventory slot for checkpoint item (flag)
  • Added mechanic to reset your currently set flag via an item
  • Many bug fixes to prevent the game from getting stuck with checkpoints (there might still be bugs and I try to fix them as soon as i see one)
  • Added short overview of tower bombs to the game intro
  • Added short overview of the checkpoints option to the game intro
  • Applied all this changes to normal and XL size of the map
  • (uptaded) uploaded this version again with a small fix to custom game mode settings

• Fixed some issues that cauzed the map to lag very hard
  • Added upgrade option from blocking tower to thunderclap tower if you enable selling
  • Added new game option "random Checkpoints", this will spawn the flags randomly and you can't pick it up (of course in sync for every player)
  • Added a few unstuck systems because of the bug that wc3 pathing sometimes bugs out if the flag is blocked.
  • Auto unstucker will send the runner to the goal after not reaching the flag for 90sec, this also gives a 60s penalty to the stucked player (fairness)
  • -unstuck command will send your runner to the goal and gives you a 30s penalty if it didn't reach the flag for atleast 1 minute
  • removed map leak from intro
  • (the version of this map uploaded to ENT has a better optimization with W3x2Lni v2.4.4) I somehow can't upload these optimizations to hive

• I decided to update the 12 player version again due to the fact that my 24 map seems to crash people in the next map they play
  • Implemented all changes from ultra versions. Checkpoints (random and normal), tower upgrades, unstuck systems, leak reduction, intro changes,...
  • Added a score system to the map (mazing points). This makes the gameplay less frustrating if you completely fail one round. The first player to finish a round gets +3 point, the second one +1 point. At the end of the game 2 winners are shown (highest time and highest points).

• (Small update compared to recent stuff but still some improvements)
  • Added point system to this version too
  • Added blinkmode (new) as ability to the builder. If you enable it your builder will teleport around instead of moving. This makes it easier to set some last second towers.
    There are some exceptions to the blinkmode, the builder will not blink if you use tower bombs or drop/pick the flag in checkpoint mode. If i enable blink for there too it bugs out and will never carry on the order it had.
  • Added some system for random flag mode to significantly decrease the probability of having a flag on entrance or exit of the maze. It is still possible but like 1 out of 1000 instead of 1 out of 100 rounds.

• (small hotfix, map name had no character free to change 1.3b, but loadscreen is different^^)
  • fixed bug with tower upgrades which let stun not work if you press upgrade on last second (upgrade to thunderclap is now instant)
  • changed default camera zoom in normal map size to 2200 so it is the same as in the original map from Pender
  • fixed bug with hotkey for upgrade sometimes not working (hopefully it always works for you guys now)
  • fixed bug with mazing score to not work at all in every mode that had shortest time to win mechanic

• Removed penalty from mode selection (you can still choose it during custom mode selection but I wanted to keep the base modes kinda interesting and fun)
  • Added new game mode "traps" instead of penalty. Description above, basically small traps spawn in the maze that teleport your runner back to start.
  • Added custom mode selection for traps and option to choose 1-3 instead of just 1 trap.
  • Fixed a bug that traps (and even checkpoints) could spawn and block the entrance/exit of the maze with their dummy tower.
  • Added 1-2 minute to the auto unstuck if traps and checkpoints used togheter
  • Blinkmode no longer disables on restart
  • Music at the end of game stops now after selecting a new mode.
  • Extended random mode to cover 7 different modes now (penalty is still in there)
  • UPDATE: Uploaded map again with small hotfix to trap + random checkpoint mode togheter. Also fixed flag and trap placement in normal size ( it used XL values for positioning ).

• ESC button can be used to open the ready dialog now
  • Implemented antiblock system for checkpoint mode. Can optionally be turned off and auto-disables if a random flag would be blocked
  • Fixed wrong trap mode spawns, now every player has them spawned at the same point
  • Added upgrade functionality for all special towers if selling is enabled (only thunderclap towers had this)
  • Replaced healtower mode with manatower mode. Reason for this was the wierd behaviour of neutral units on low health, I kinda had to make tons of checks to prevent most bugs, but still the mode turned out to be quite laggy after playing for a while. Using mana instead of health solved all problems and the mode works finally without bugs when using checkpoints too
  • Added new settings dialog via the -settings command. Player 1 (or whoever selects the mode) can use this command during the first round once to change a few extra settings or even restart the map
  • The settings dialog has the option to enable penalty mode (all modes)
  • The settings dialog has the option to disable antiblock system for checkpoints (only if checkpoints enabled)
  • The settings dialog has the option to change the maximum mana of the runner to 10/15/20 (only manatower mode)
  • Implemented a system to never spawn checkpoints directly on the start or exit of the maze (it still can spawn bad but it's less likely)
  • Improved pathing in checkpoint mode to further reduce the chance of the runner getting stuck
  • Fixed wrong player control and therefore vision to some (supposed to be) neutral units on the normal size map for player red
  • Fixed a few more bugs in random mode
  • Known issues: Automatic unstuck system for checkpoint mode doesn't ignore left players.
    Multiboard sometimes shows wrong timers but the game still saves the correct ones (visual bug)!

• After several small versions v1.5b, v1.5c, v1.5d, v1.5e i decided to make a minor release with v1.5.1. Map name still shows up as v1.5 but I updated the preview image to see the difference.
  • Round time options for XL map size are increased to 1:00 > 3:00 (up from a maximum of 2:00)
  • Antiblock system overhaul, old classic system got completely replaced by floodfill algorithm. This makes the map less laggy with many people, but a small blackscreen appears after playing the XL size map as quite a bit of memory will be allocated to manage the arrays.
  • Added w3mmd library to save data into replay files.
  • Mazing contest got added to wc3stats.com. This website is still in development and acts as statistic/ladder platform for warcraft 3 maps. To upload your stats automatically you have to install their replay uploader and it should show your games in the mazing contest section.
    Warcraft III Stats
  • Implemented placement system so wc3stats gets a final winner after every game. The winner will be the person with most wins by time > wins by score > total score (in case of a draw, the next value will be compared).
  • Added new game setting for bonus gold. Bonus gold can be set to 0/5/10/15 and will give everyone the set amount of extra gold every round. This might be useful for people that hate low gold rounds^^.

• Fixed 24 player bug on wc3stats.com
  • Make sure to upload your replays or install their auto-uploader if you want to show up in leaderboard :D.

• Expect mode: changed random time for XL size to 15-48s
  • Setting for more tower bombs [Extra bombs: 0/1/2]
  • Setting for time penalty on selling [Free sells: x/1/2/3]
  • Add discord link to lobby
  • Expect mode + checkpoints will show 2 numbers. one is duration to flag from start and the other is duration to exit from flag
  • Big Lag reductions (map is hopefully playable with 24p now)

Credits:

Thanks to everyone who played my maps, you motivated me to implement more features and making this bigger versions.

Thanks to Peppolino/Schwammerlkrieg my reliable friend who always plays mazing contest with me and tested like every version.

Thanks to Masaa, Kacsa1111111 and Sexytime. with his clan IBCE for playing my maps very often and helping me with bugs and suggestions.

Thanks to CRAZYRUSSIAN, I used your zoom in and zoom out buttons icon in my map (Btncrzoomin, Btncrzoomout).
Thanks to Blood Raven for the muffin model I used in the environment.

Special Thanks:

Creator of mazing contest PENDER for the best map ever made!
Previews
Contents

9 (Map)

Mazing Contest Ultra 1.5 (Map)

Mazing Contest XL v1.8 (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Approved based on the other version's review: Mazing Contest v2.8-1