1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Aftermath has been revealed for the 19th Terraining Contest! Be sure to check out the Results and see what came out of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Melee Mapping Contest #3 - Results are out! Congratulate the winners and check plenty of new 4v4 melee maps designed for this competition!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The winners of our cinematic soundtrack competition have been decided! Step by the Music Contest #11 - Results to check the entries and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice

Mario Castle v1.8 (patch 1.29 or higher required!)

Submitted by Alxen345
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Alexen presents
Mario Castle
[​IMG]
Introduction

Here's the discord server link: Discord - Free voice and text chat for gamers
[​IMG]
Mario Castle is a mini RPG / survival hybrid game where you have to control Mario and use all of his abilities to endure Bowser's minions that want to kill you. Allied toads nearby have a strong connection with Mario and from time to time they come to heal his wounds. Bowser's minions cannot attack or kill any Toad, thanks to Princess Peach's protective spell.
Bowser is controlling the castle now and Mario has to defeat the foes and find a way to locate Bowser's Stone so that Mario will be able to summon him and challenge him to combat for the full control of the castle.

Update log

v1.1
-replaced trees with Mario worldtrees
-Bowser's minions are more powerful now
-Lord Magikoopa boss deals 175 damage now
-Mario base attack damage decreased to 16
-Mario basic attack rate decreased by 30%

v1.2
-the whole map has been drastically expanded
-implemented multiplayer possibility by adding Luigi
-new type of enemies
-Princess Peach model upgraded
-added 4 new quests
-the enemies have special abilities now
-Bowser Fortress is invulnerable now and does not attack anymore
-The toads are removed temporarily
-added shops and alimentaries around the map

v1.3
-reworked King Boo area
-allies share vision between them now
-Stamina, Energy and Speed powerups added to Alimentary
-Bowser's armor raised by 25 and his damage by 40%
-the doors will not be locked anymore while fighting Bowser now

v1.4
-added a new area, the Yoshi Village
-fixed a bug where Luigi could not drop an item quest
-starting lives cannot be dropped anymore
-added 2 new items
-raised current items price
-coins will respawn slower now
-the doors at Lord Magikoopa won't be locked anymore
-King Boo has been empowered
-Bowser has been empowered

v1.5
-added 2 new player slots by implementing Wario and Waluigi as playable characters
-Lord Magikoopa appears now after 12 minutes
-Bob-ombs attack animation changed
-added enemies in the Yoshi Village
-Magikoopas and Lord Magikoopa have the Mirror ability now
-King Boo and Bowser and Lord Magikoopa have been empowered

v1.6
-Mario and Luigi are now separated from Wario and Waluigi
-Bowser Stone is hidden in different locations now
-All quests have been modified
-Mario house model changed
-All characters have Travel Amulet
-King Boo quest has been changed
-Wario and Waluigi attack missiles have been changed

v1.7
-Lord Magikoopa cannot create a mirror image of herself anymore
-All characters have their abilities from the start now
-Wario, Luigi and Waluigi are Quest Characters now
-Multiplayer removed (forever)
-Exploring Music theme changed
-Mario's fourth spell reworked from Mario Blaze to Piranha Flower
-Quests Indicators have been introduced
-Removed the Travel Amulet item

v1.8
-Fixed Waluigi Quest
-The door to King Boo maze is opened when the Quest is found instead of being open when Lord Magikoopa is killed
-The message says exactly where the coins are spawned now
-Koopa Troopa enemies do not have Cyclone anymore
-Number of lives reduced from 15 to 6
-Explosive Keg AoE target reduced from 275 to 175
-Added Powerup Mushroom ability for Mario

[​IMG]
Gameplay
Mario has a total of 7 abilities at his disposal, all of them from the start!
Call Yoshi - Allows Mario to summon his companion, Yoshi, to help him in combat.
Explosive Keg - Mainly used for burning down trees that block a path, however it can deal 45 DPS to enemies hit.
Powerup Shot - A stronger fireball that deals base damage and is amplified by the number of the Fireflowers you possess
Dashing Strike - Ignores pathing and any other obstacle, instantly smashing into a foe.
Super Jump - Performs a high jump and launches fireballs to all enemies nearby.
Piranha Flower - Summons a gigantic Piranha Flower to destroy Mario's opponents.
Powerup Mushroom - Mario eats a mushroom and grows in size and strength.

Mario starts with 6 lives, once you lose them all, is game over!
Various items can be purchased from Mario's House and food can be also purchased from a nearby Alimentary

Enemies that Mario will encounter: Goomba, Koopa, Para Koopa, Magikoopa, Bob-omb, Fly Guy, Thowmp, Flower Pipe.
Bosses: Lord Magikoopa, Bowser
Quests: Princess Peach, Yoshi Timmy, Grumpy Goomba, Wise Koopa, Cursed Magikoopa, Bomby, Waluigi, Wario, Luigi

[​IMG]
Features and credits
Mario Castle has a beautiful designed terrain. I tried to make it look as the Mushroom Kingdom as much as I could.
[​IMG]

Here's a list with the people that deserve a big thank you for their awesome models:
doom_legion
Bloodslaughter
Kuhneghetz
Blizzard Entertainment
Callahan
Lord-T-Rex
hellblazer-14
XDogg
Verdun
HerrDave
Avahor
Blood Raven
Tamplier777
Buziol Games

There's a problem with the view resources in use, honestly, I never imported the following models from these authors that appear:
WyrWuulfe
animalover
Matt•a•tiki
Tarrasque

:)

Contents

Mario Castle v1.8 (Map)

Reviews
Dekadeep
First map I play with Mario ever. The terrain is beautiful and the map layout as well but the Mushroom Kingdom was bigger from what I remember. I suggest you add new zones and also more quests, you only put 2 at the moment. Mario abilities are good...
infrenus
Alrighty, is a lot more balanced now. A question tho: is it intentional for the coins to contnuously spawn in certain areas? If you forget a place on a quest and come back for example, you might end finding huge piles of them lying around. Also I dont...
Daffa the Mage
'Our ally is under attack' every now and then, might want to consider giving those shops to actual neutral passive and use vision trigger for giving the players vision of the shops. From what I see, Luigi for one doesn't seem to get benefit from the...
  1. infrenus

infrenus

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    The terrain is lovely and the map works, but... its kinda unbalanced. Mario can curbstomp (heh) everything but the bosses in the map without his abilities, and due to the size and lack of many quests, the map gets boring rather fast. I also see that some models liek the toads doesnt have portraits- Id suggest fixing that little error and the other models you said you couldnt fix.

2. Alxen345

Alxen345

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks for playing. Is only the first version and it was designed a bit smaller for the first release and is meant for a survival map fighting bosses at last but in the coming updates I plan to create new areas around the castle and add more quests, probably new bosses until Bowser. As for the Toads portrait, I will replace them. :pcon::plol:

3. Dekadeep

Dekadeep

Resources:
    Resources:
    First map I play with Mario ever.

The terrain is beautiful and the map layout as well but the Mushroom Kingdom was bigger from what I remember. I suggest you add new zones and also more quests, you only put 2 at the moment.
    Mario abilities are good but no jumping ? :( That's the classic Mario.
    Enemies should have some cool abilities as well not only the bosses. I suggest for the turtles to launch their shells from time to time, the goomba to jump upon Mario.
    Where is the shy guy and lakitu? :( I wanna see them.
    The items are cool but the frost item is a bit overpowered with its slow, reduce it please.

I suppose you will add new stuff in the next updates. I give it a 4/5 for now.

4. Alxen345

Alxen345

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks for playing! :D I wanna add new areas and expand the map, though it is based on survival.

5. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I appreciate the map, however, there some considerations to note.

POSITIVE POINTS :
    1. Unique than most maps out there, taking Mario to a whole next level
    2. Most of the content made to reflect Super Mario quite well
    3. The abilities reflect Mario well
    MAJOR ISSUES :
    1. Enemies are quite static in term of combat. Most of them only attack.
    2. The Lord Magikoopa feels like an OP unit rather than an actual boss.
    MINOR ISSUES :
    1. The maximum level Mario can get is 5, which is quite easy to reach

In short, it's great, but for now the gameplay sort of fall short to a simple mechanism of skill-attack-retreat-heal-repeat. The enemy also only attacks which make it uninteresting in the long run, especially while you look for the stone.

If the gameplay can be more responsive and not a simple mechanism, it would help a lot. Defense/Survival tag doesn't suit here. Personally feels this merit a mini-game tag.

For now, I'll put this remain in Pending until the gameplay receives some improvements.

6. Alxen345

Alxen345

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks a lot! I'll work to update everything. :D

7. infrenus

infrenus

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Alrighty, is a lot more balanced now. A question tho: is it intentional for the coins to contnuously spawn in certain areas? If you forget a place on a quest and come back for example, you might end finding huge piles of them lying around. Also I dont know if its just me, but the stat increase itenms might be a bit too cheap. THeres no reason to get a mango if with some more coins (that are easy to get) you can get a permanent effect that is similar plus other status increases.

8. Alxen345

Alxen345

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yes coins are meant to respawn only in the castle/ About the items, I will increase their price and add the new ones as well in 1.4

9. Storm Knight

Storm Knight

Resources:
    Resources:
  10. Battleborn

Battleborn

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Gonna check this one, looks cool and cute. :)

11. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    1. 'Our ally is under attack' every now and then, might want to consider giving those shops to actual neutral passive and use vision trigger for giving the players vision of the shops.
    2. From what I see, Luigi for one doesn't seem to get benefit from the flowers. I am aware Mario does though. Just a thought, unless I miss it.
    Things are much better now. The map now has a lot of creativity and it's wide in option on how players would carry the game out.

Approved.

12. Alxen345

Alxen345

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thank you! Luigi benefits from gold coins actually, his primary ability deals more damage based on the number of coins he has.

13. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm aware he benefits from gold, it's just the flowers become useless on Luigi :p
    Coins can be used as currency, while flowers... nobody buy flowers :(

14. Alxen345

Alxen345

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Will modify them. I'm planning to modify the skills of Mario, Luigi, Wario and Waluigi as well.

15. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    "Hellooo, Mariooo!"

1. The white writing on the loading screen is hard to read in some parts.
    2. I think you should differentiate from Warcraft III items as much as possible. Try making them more akin to Mario games.
    3. Lives shouldn't have a description like: cause the hero to lose a life as it's confusing. Just leave the standard Ankh of Reincarnation description type. Also it says left click to use.
    4. Some units like Goompa have a too large selection scale.
    5. Where do the new coins spawn? Should I search the whole map every time? So they stack around the castle walls.
    6. The problem with Yoshi is that the summoned unit is most of the time in the air and that leaves little time for its time on the battlefield as it expires shortly after the Cyclone buff is gone.
    7. Trees don't regrow? Because you can destroy every.
    8. There's another Yoshi who's blue and neutral passive. Actually there are more of them.
    9. Luigi gave me the reward after killing the piranha flower monster before talking to him about it. At least you don't have to return for a reward.
    10. Why level 5 max :(?
    11. No hotkeys for items?
    12. Could be nice to play as Luigi with different spells.
    13. So, the coins don't disappear, why does it say to go fast and pick the up?
    14. Basically, you can just attack stronger units like the mage in front of Bowser's castle bit by bit, go to the fountain and return. Same with Bowser.
    15. By the time I realized King Boo gave me an item I was almost out of the zone since I was reading the text and while moving. I returned for the item.
    16. Got Waluigi's chest to him and nothing happened. Now I got one slot permanently occupied.

It's a chill-out map. I appreciate when universes are mimicked in other games.

16. Alxen345

Alxen345

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thank you! I'm aware of these things and I'm working on them. P.S. luigi...wario and waluigi were playable character in previous updates but I reversed it back to singleplayer and only with Mario since he is the principal protagonist, also you will be rewarded if you find a quest requirements by accident. For example, destroying the big blue maple tree for the Goomba Quest. All of the quests are described from the start if you look in the Quests menu; about the trees, is made with a purpose that they do not regrow since there are hidden things and if they would regrow the game would take too much time, especially when you are searching for Bowser's Stone. Some Quests do not require you to go back to the Quest Character, that's why you received the bonus. Those blue yoshi are from the Yoshi Village, there's also a Yoshi Quest. In Mario, there wasn't only one Yoshi...there many, trust me I played every but every single game of Mario...from black white 2D to the 3D Super Mario 64.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  17. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, is Yoshi like an animal name (taxon) or something? Or is it a name like Dave? Because it's weird that the ability's descriptions says you'll summon Mario's companion Yoshi and not a Yoshi (like Dog instead of a dog).

18. Alxen345

Alxen345

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The race itself is called Yoshi. They are the ones that raised Mario since he was a child.

19. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Then it's a Yoshi, not Yoshi, since I guess each Yoshi could have a name like Dave and not all Yoshi are named Dave.