• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Maple Fields

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: deepstrasz

Maple Fields

Description:
It has dense orange and brown forests known as Maple Syrup Fields in this dense forest. How will they find out about this?

Features:
- 4 Gold Mines - 2 Main (14000g), 2 Expansion (12000)
- 2 Goblin Merchants
- 2 Goblin Laboratories
- 1 Tavern

- 4 Green Creep Camps
- 8 Orange Creep Camps
- 2 Red Creep Camps

Map Overview:
277804-0c01d6f72f8cd07f7f8f0ee27a331510.jpg

Changelog:
v1.0
- Map uploaded
v1.1
- Terrain, doodads and units improved.
- Added one more orange creep camp.
- Changed the wolf camps item drop to Level 2 Charged.
- Changed the ogre camps item drop to Level 2 Permanent
- Changed the small gnoll camps item drop to Level 1 Power-up (added one more).
- Changed the gold mine amount: the main one (15000), the expansion one (12000)

Author Notes:
If you have questions, suggestions, or criticisms, just leave your comments below!

Previews
Contents

Maple Fields (Map)

Reviews
Remixer
Review - Maple Fields (Version March 12th 2024) Synopsis: Maple Fields is a large two-player melee map with large open areas for fighting. For two players the map is very open and large with few restrictive elements and objectives on the map. The...

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Review - Maple Fields
(Version March 12th 2024)
Synopsis: Maple Fields is a large two-player melee map with large open areas for fighting. For two players the map is very open and large with few restrictive elements and objectives on the map. The bases are slightly secluded from the open central area of the map, allowing players to plan their defenses due to the large size of the map.
Map Aesthetics: Aesthetically the map is good the tile variation has been improved. Good job. The visual clarity is very good, though the narrow decorative dead-end areas are not good for melee gameplay and thus I would not see them justified for the sake of visual beauty.
Map Layout: The map is very large for two players. The openness reduces the potential of strategic points in the map, but the seclusion you've implemented with the main bases complements this nicely as players can attempt to build walls and other obstacles to defend their bases - it's another argument whether this is a good or a bad playstyle. The extension gold mines are placed on a higher cliff level, giving the option for heavy defense on them which I guess suits a map this size. There could even be a secondary expansion on the map - or perhaps even a contestable expansion to spice up the gameplay. Once again, the empty hilltops near expansions are a no-go and should not exist.
Neutral Objectives: The creep camps fit the map, though the creep races themselves are not very fall or Barrens-themed. There could be even more creeps or other objectives considering the large size of the map. The Goblin Merchant creep camp is quite exposed from its little socket and can give issues with its aggro range when passing by, other than that the creep camp placement looks decent, similar to the item drops. Good job in that regard too.
Map Gameplay: The gameplay could be spiced up with more strategic elements and creep camps to gain power from. Nevertheless, the map is decent and plays out as regular melee.

Recommendations:
Typical to your new edits of your maps the tree placement is very aligned. I'll attach a picture to show what I mean. In the picture on the left you see perfectly aligned trees (Wisps can target the center tree and reach it, and thus become out of range of most melee units). On the right is the 'correct' way where trees are slightly misaligned to prevent this. Of course this doesn't mean that every single tree needs to follow this principle, but you can imagine how unhealthy it is if a player can protect all of their wisps from melee units with ease.

Attachments

• TreeAlignment.png
    TreeAlignment.png
    597.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Review - Maple Fields
(Version March 12th 2024)
Synopsis: Maple Fields is a large two-player melee map with large open areas for fighting. For two players the map is very open and large with few restrictive elements and objectives on the map. The bases are slightly secluded from the open central area of the map, allowing players to plan their defenses due to the large size of the map.
Map Aesthetics: Aesthetically the map is good the tile variation has been improved. Good job. The visual clarity is very good, though the narrow decorative dead-end areas are not good for melee gameplay and thus I would not see them justified for the sake of visual beauty.
Map Layout: The map is very large for two players. The openness reduces the potential of strategic points in the map, but the seclusion you've implemented with the main bases complements this nicely as players can attempt to build walls and other obstacles to defend their bases - it's another argument whether this is a good or a bad playstyle. The extension gold mines are placed on a higher cliff level, giving the option for heavy defense on them which I guess suits a map this size. There could even be a secondary expansion on the map - or perhaps even a contestable expansion to spice up the gameplay. Once again, the empty hilltops near expansions are a no-go and should not exist.
Neutral Objectives: The creep camps fit the map, though the creep races themselves are not very fall or Barrens-themed. There could be even more creeps or other objectives considering the large size of the map. The Goblin Merchant creep camp is quite exposed from its little socket and can give issues with its aggro range when passing by, other than that the creep camp placement looks decent, similar to the item drops. Good job in that regard too.
Map Gameplay: The gameplay could be spiced up with more strategic elements and creep camps to gain power from. Nevertheless, the map is decent and plays out as regular melee.

Recommendations:
Typical to your new edits of your maps the tree placement is very aligned. I'll attach a picture to show what I mean. In the picture on the left you see perfectly aligned trees (Wisps can target the center tree and reach it, and thus become out of range of most melee units). On the right is the 'correct' way where trees are slightly misaligned to prevent this. Of course this doesn't mean that every single tree needs to follow this principle, but you can imagine how unhealthy it is if a player can protect all of their wisps from melee units with ease.
TreeAlignment.png

Edit: You might want to tone down the fog a little, it's very strong.

Last edited: