• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map Rules

Level 22
To help keep maps in the correct category, please look over the category description listed below before submitting one. Doing so will help keep everything in clean order and make your map browsing more worthwhile.

Map categories:

AoS: A map where you control a single hero, and enemy and friendly armies spawn and attack on their own. Usual objective is to destroy the enemy's base. Examples: Aeon of Strife, Defense of the Ancients, Tides of Blood.

Defense: A map where you have to defend something specific through orthodox or unorthodox means. Where ones side (whether human or AI) must focus on destroying something specific while the other side most focus solely on defending it. Also includes click-defense maps. Examples: Helms deep, castle defense, hero siege.

Tower Defense: A map where players build a variety towers along specific routes where spawned enemies move along. The object of the game is to prevent spawned enemy units from reaching a certain target while running through a gauntlet of player-placed towers. Examples: Skibi Catle TD, Wintermaul/Maul maps, Naga Tower Defense

Footman Wars: A map with a completely isometric layout where players start with a main structure that consistantly spawns units that players must utilize to defeat other spawned player units. Often heroes are selectable and get into the fray. Spawned units can be upgraded with a variety of upgrades. The object of the game is to destroy all the other player main structures. Most Footman Wars maps are 3vs3vs3vs3. Examples: Footman Wars, Footman Frenzy, Wood Warz, Ladies Night, "Blood" maps.

Arena: Hero vs. Hero or small force vs. small force that does not involve building up armies. Fights are inside centralized arenas with guidelines. Also includes arena-oriented 3rd person shooter maps. Examples: Hero Arena, instagib

Minigame: A collection of minigames or a game that is a minigame it's self. Examples: Uther's Party, star force.

RPG: RPG maps are maps where you control heroes or small forces to complete objectives and mission in a single map in a campaign-style format. This includes single player and open RPGs. Examples: Final Fantasy open RPG, GG&K's dwarven campaign.

Melee: Melee maps are maps without modification, or slight modification, but nevertheless traditional maps where you build up your base, your army, and destroy your enemy’s base while managing an economy. This includes melee and altered melee maps. Examples: Official BLizzard maps, Race Champion Wars

Capture the flag: A map where you use a hero or small force to capture a specific item from you opponent's base and bring it back to your own. Examples: CTF Runners, Ninja vs. Samurai.

Cinematic: Maps that are essentially movies and require little participation from the actual player. Examples: Cult of the damned, cinematic trailers for upcoming campaigns.

Offense: Maps where you have something to defend, but must focus on constant offense and secure an objective while your opponents must do the same, often within a time limit. Often hack & slash or arcade style games.

Campaign: All RPG maps that are in .w3n format.

Survival: Maps where you have to keep a specific user-controlled unit alive, or to see how long you can keep a unit alive against impossible odds when your units are at a clear disadvantage. Includes gauntlet-running games. Examples: Scary forest, prison break, Maze maps, Art of Defense, endurance maps.

Misc: Everything else that does not full under these categories. This includes mods.

Please follow these guidelines. I will relocate those that are in the wrong place
We want war3search to be a positive place for mappers to go to and learn as well as display their skill. Don't ruin it for everyone else by flaming or down voting. . Enjoy the maps at War3search and don’t forget to leave good feedback!

Submitting maps:

What will be accepted:
Virtually any and all maps, regardless of talent. We owe it to the mapmakers that put time and effort into maps to leave CONSTRUCTIVE feedback, especially if they are new and need it. So because of that, I will not delete low-quality maps, just as long as obvious effort was put into them.

Original maps only. That mean no edits of other people's work. This includes blizzard. The only exceptions to this is if a map was willingly passed on from one owner to the next, and not valid edits made from open source maps.

What will not be accepted:
Blank maps with no name, author and description. Non-working maps, maps with offensive map previews or profanity in the name or description, Duplicate maps, and maps that serve no real gaming function, (i.e. special effects/trigger test maps). If you found something new you'd like to share, please write a tutorial about it instead. No demo maps. Beta maps are okay, but they must be late beta stage maps.

No maps that cannot be play tested (mainly pertains to open RPG maps. Sorry, but if you know enough about triggering to add a save/load code, you should know enough about triggering to break it when there is only 1 player present.) Our moderators will need to be able to play test maps without having to log into bnet.

Regarding duplicate maps: If you have a new version of your map, simply replace the older map through the update-resource option. DO NOT simply submit the map over and over again. If there are more the one versions of the same map, such as your map page looking like this:

xxxxxxxx v1.4
xxxxxxxx v1.3
xxxxxxxx v1.2
xxxxxxxx v1.1
xxxxxxxx v1.0

These previous, "obsolete" maps will be deleted. Only the most recently submitted or highest version one will be kept. If you submit someone else's map, and then later the original author submits it himself under his name, yours will be deleted.

Regarding your updated maps being buried in the archive: If you want to update your map but but also want it to be "pushed in front of the line" again like a newly submitted map, feel free to submit your map from scratch. But if you do that instead of submitting over the obsolete version, you will still need to remove the older versions of the same map.

Regarding maps that do not have a name to click on for browsers to access the download page: I call these "broken name maps." This, like all the other bugs that happen when a map made or altered with third party programs is uploaded, is caused by a conflictance between the wc3sear.ch upload scrips and the changes the third party program made to the map. Programs like WEU or color managers often cause the names to appear wrong, such as a random number or the such. Certain programs, usually map protectors, will cause the name to now show up at all, not allowing the map to be accessed via browsing. There is absolutely no reason browsing potential downloaders should have to type in a URL adress just to browse your map. I will delete all broken name maps. Why? They hardly ever get downloaded, which in turn clogs up the archive with useless, undownloaded maps. Your attempt to be selfish with your map's secrets should never hinder someone's ability to play or even download your map. If your map is a broken name map, fix it, then resubmit it, even if that means using an alternate map protector or not protecting it at all. I am not on a anti-map protection crusade, I am merely trying to eliminate an annoyance.

Submitting:

Although this next section is not required, it is a personal request on my part. Please finish your maps before submitting them. Saying "this map is not done" and throwing it to the rest of the community is not very professional. Beta/test maps is one thing, but to submit a map that is blatently unfinished is only a scourse of aggrivation for players as well as a waste of time and space. Please finish your maps.
-VGsatomi

Level 5
I can only agree with you in every point you mentioned.
But what is the most annoying for me perhaps is the nondescript maps. I am glad to hear that this will be off-rule, and i hope efforts will be made to force people writing at least a very basic description.

When u mentioned instagib in the Arena section u thought of my instagib? When yes i'm glad to hear that my map is worth to remember :)
Oh yeah except an update to it soon...

Does it brake the rule if i'll upload the whole three map in one zip instead of replacing one of the olders?

1 suggestion how to make updating worth the effort: updated maps should be handled as they were new, so they could be displayed among the latest files. This would prevent people deleting and submitting their maps again instead of updating, or just submitting again, and also people will know that map was updated without looking at the "modified resources" panel.

Glad to see these map rules, it gives me the promise of reduced number of nondescript or blank maps. Good luck with the moderating!

EDIT:
Yeahh... i can't upload a zip. I thought i can, because it was allowed on other sites. Now i uploaded an InstaGib Beta version in w3n. I recategorized it to ARENA. It can be played as a campaign, but without opponents (just to c the map). A better thing is to extract the maps from it.
Hope it doesn't break any rules.
EDIT2:
Finally i decided to delet it cause it's more bothering than DLing it one by one. So there won't be any problem with this.

Voi

Voi

Level 3
antagonista said:
Im quite new to this great site, but i was wondering on how do i submit my works? email? what are the steps? thanks :D

There is a button "Add/Update resources" in the top right of the page.

Also I wanna say to the starter of this thread. Very good information...I think many people especially vote that way. When I check profiles I see:

Votes:
5: 25 votes.
4: 0 votes.
3: 0 votes.
2: 0 votes.
1: 18 votes.

Why can people never learn?

Level 3
Map submitting

I cant seem to upload my map. I put the map and readme files and click submit... after a long pause i am told the file contains no data even tho the map is 16megs and loads in world editor without glitches.. am i the only one with this problem? any ideas how to upload it properly? :(

Level 3
cool that helped alot cos most of it was music files. Now they've bin removed ive uploaded. Check it out if you want a brief RPG to show off Talon the Mage's marines and weapons against aliens.

Level 2
So what is the map file size limit I ask? I got a couple of maps that are unfinished that I plan to post in the future, but just incase, yeah, the limit size.

Level 3
I might have a problem with my map being put on this site, it is a Life of a Peasant type map, BTW wat map type is that? I might need Darky to put it on or watever he does. Its called Life in Coruscant i am not done with it but i want you to kno in advance

Level 6
i think i got the same prob...

Minigame: A collection of minigames or a game that is a minigame it's self. Examples: Uther's Party, star force.
could u give a definition of minigame plz? its not that important but id like to know it. of course i know maps like pain's party, pyramid escape etc. but a map which is a minigame itself could be anything... i think one of u mods categoryzed soulchess as minigame although it takes at least an hour and is bloody TURNBASED XD. i dont really care about this. but id like to know your definition of a minigame. in my oppinion a minigame is a rather short and simple just-for-fun game with a lot of action and usually with only few (often only 1) unit per player...

Level 3
Quick queston, what about a map that has a player that commands armies and builds basic buildings as well as a player that commands only a single hero or small group, like Heroes & Empires, I thought that was also AoS, also, I thought that a map which has auto spawning creatures and player-controlled heroes was considered a DotA, sorry, but I'm a little confused.

Jaronis said:
Quick queston, what about a map that has a player that commands armies and builds basic buildings as well as a player that commands only a single hero or small group, like Heroes & Empires, I thought that was also AoS, also, I thought that a map which has auto spawning creatures and player-controlled heroes was considered a DotA, sorry, but I'm a little confused.

"A dota" ? Lol, dota is an aos (well with hero arena like elements in it), not a category itself :roll:

Level 3
Let me rephrase it, Sound's like DotA, although I've seen so much of it on Bnet that you'd think it's an entire category, and a big one at that.
Anyways, I just asked 'cause I've got a map I wish to post that has 4 teams, each having an "empire" player, which builds buildings and trains units, similiar, vaugely, to melee stuff, a "hero" player, that starts with one hero, gets up to 3,and a few "pets" that have various convenient abilities, and a "deity" player, which is vaugely similiar to a TD thing, and I just thought that was an AoS, but if I'm wrong I'll put it in miscellaneous.

Level 9
Ok , so what category will have such maps as:
Battlefield ( i hope u remember it)

C&C:Renegade (That's not an AOS , because there are no computer units and not a Melee )

??? (All of this maps you may find here,if you want i may get the links to them)