1. A slave to two rhythms, the 22nd Terraining Contest is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The die is cast - the 6th Melee Mapping Contest results have been announced. Onward to the Hive Cup!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The glory of the 20th Icon Contest is yours for the taking!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Shoot to thrill, play to kill. Sate your hunger with the 33rd Modeling Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Do you hear boss music? It's the 17th Mini Mapping Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Reforged Map protection

Discussion in 'Patch & Reforged Discussion' started by Eye, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Wareditor

Wareditor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    EULA never hold up in court.

Depending on our country you might even have protected author rights. So effectively you own in some capacity what you create.

2. SadisticLeprechaun

SadisticLeprechaun

Resources:
    Resources:
    #1 is especially true.

I would love it is someone could point out one or two instances of map "theft". I mean come on...

Best tutorial I can get is opening a map to see how it works. All this nonsense about "my work being used without credit" or posting a copy with tiny changes" ... it's a game, who cares?!? If every map was unprotected, we would have more cool maps I think.

3. anufis

anufis

Resources:
    Resources:
    Problem usually is not map theft but cheating in save/load based maps.

4. Chaosy

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Which can happen anyway.

For example, anyone can give me a save/load code to give me a super mega character. Which is basically cheating.
    Or for codeless, send me the data folder and change the name to suit my own.

5. SadisticLeprechaun

SadisticLeprechaun

Resources:
    Resources:
    You all have me confused now lol, how can you cheat on a single player map. Sure, you can use codes or whatever, but I thought cheating was like multiplayer hacking, not putting in a "cheat" code or discovering a weakness to an enemy by opening a map. I find it strange a map maker would actually care about someone bypassing part of a map or going into GodMode or whatever. Anufis, could you elaborate?

6. Dat-C3

Dat-C3

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well, map and game protection was possible and still is somewhat until the next patch coming next month. Bots. =) They can provide server possibilities and mapmakers have been using them.

Though without bots the only methods will be weaker corruption then before thanks to recent patches, replays and screenshots which can be easily faked though even easier without bots since no decent way to check for maphackers(vision cheaters), hidden code/files. Without bots the next best protection is to not release your map for a long while hoping for something from Blizzard.

7. Chaosy

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Develop single players maps to avoid the problem.
    Obviously people do still cheat but it wont affect others so it wont matter.

8. Astrella

Astrella

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I used to care a lot more about protecting maps, but now I care a lot more about open source. Determined people will get access to your code anyway, but making it open means a lot of novice mappers can learn from it. Heck, even when you're experienced you can learn from others. I know I can credit a lot of my knowledge to checking out other people's projects and figuring out their approaches. I would recommend crediting people if you end up reusing their code though, is a nice thing to do.

9. pick-a-chew

pick-a-chew

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Map protection is a bit overrated. Any serious project will become so inherently complicated that it protects itself in the sense that if some outside eye looks at it, they won't really understand why you've structured your trigger/object data that way and why. The only thing it is good for is to secure your own developmental integrity (worst case scenario: your secret twin tries to steal your map but you're always one step ahead as you're always working on the next version whilst he's trying to deprotect the current).

The way you build a map is (usually) crucial to its functioning, this is why when you see light edits of (deprotected) maps it's usually just the insertion of cheats, balance tweaks or minor content like a random new hero with an anime skin. Most people wont bother to invest time learning how the whole of your map works and why. And that's what they need to do to actually "steal" your map for their own spinoff development/modding.

I'd argue that map protection is a by-product of map optimization. Optimization on the other-hand is very useful for reducing map size and loading time.

The sad thing is that WC3 is very old, there are loads of quality maps that have ceased development for years or even a decade, because they were protected before they were abandoned. Ultimately it means these maps have a smaller legacy compared to old popular maps, such as the original enfos, which was released to the public before being abandoned.

Map protection is generally a very damaging practice to the map making community; it prevents people from learning from your work and has the potential to limit the influence of your map long after you are gone.

10. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Just consider it as a game that doesn't get more expansions and works properly in the state it was released in.
    Problem with Warcraft III is patching that most of the time breaks that stability.

11. Eye

Eye

Resources:
    Resources:
    There is no such thing as a map protection, indeed. The reason this thread was created.

12. SpiritTauren

SpiritTauren

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Hey, that is one way to put it. Example: I'm using raw integers in hashtables instead of advanced functionality. Saving any data as [x] of [y]. All integer indices (x,y) are generated procedurally (via loops) through data design (stats, items) functions upon map initialization. And all the index numbers appear physically only when they are called by functions. So, a random lad won't understand, why I'm loading [27] of [195] in this particular segment, without reading and spending hours to study the whole map structure. I keep the array grid in an excel file. So, in my opinion, if some1 is brave enough to shovel this junk code of mine, they deserve to get all the info they want on their own:p I won't object or protect any map. Ever.

Now that I think of it: would you know by any chance, if Blizzard increased the number of available hashtables? The latest hive member-driven research claimed 255 hashtables max per map.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  13. Wrda

Wrda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    There's no point in increasing the number of available hashtables anyway, pretty sure no map even reaches 100 hashtables, so it doesn't seem worth it.

14. pick-a-chew

pick-a-chew

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I use 70 spread across multiple core systems :p, but it's unlikely i will ever reach the hard cap, and before then i'm pretty sure i could merge a lot of them together.