1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Map Development: The Scourging of Azeroth

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by Silverfish423, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Aztec_devil2000

Aztec_devil2000

Resources:
    Resources:
    I have made heaps of maps, these are just a few at the moment. Since I reformated my computer and maybe I forgot to back up my maps? But besides that I can basicly make any sort of terrain. With great detail. Images below.

Edit: Optional quest: Spot the skype message in one of the images :p

images here
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 1.PNG
      1.PNG
      File size:
      3.3 MB
      Views:
    • 2.PNG
      2.PNG
      File size:
      3 MB
      Views:
    • 3.PNG
      3.PNG
      File size:
      1.3 MB
      Views:
    • 4.PNG
      4.PNG
      File size:
      2.5 MB
      Views:
    • 5.PNG
      5.PNG
      File size:
      2 MB
      Views:
    • 6.PNG
      6.PNG
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
    • 7.PNG
      7.PNG
      File size:
      3.3 MB
      Views:
    • 8.PNG
      8.PNG
      File size:
      3.3 MB
      Views:
  2. Deolrin

Deolrin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    They all look incredibly flat and lack any real variation.

3. Aztec_devil2000

Aztec_devil2000

Resources:
    Resources:
    They are spose to have no variation, it's spose to be simple for good gameplay. My new map I am currently working on is an example like that. All it is, is a grass patch in the middle with a mountain type slope around it. As cars can jump and speed up etc. But in time variation will be changed every single round, using triggers. Say a volcano, farm field, monsters etc will be placed using triggers.

But anyway my point is terrain needs to be simple, why would I play a game with the same variation each round?

Edit: You are wrong, the zombies and herowars map has a huge amount of variation.

4. ExMortis

ExMortis

Resources:
    Resources:
    It crashes (at least for me). Weird because most of the new maps doesn't do that.

5. Silverfish423

Silverfish423

Resources:
    Resources:
    @Aztec: Im sorry Aztec but the terrain really is too simple. Terrain can look great and still be viable for great gameplay. In addition, my terraining skills are on par with yours and I really need someone better than me for that purpose.

@ExMortis: Weird...I'll look into this next chance I get

6. Aztec_devil2000

Aztec_devil2000

Resources:
    Resources:
    And that's exactly what I can do. I know every aspect of the engineering of World Edit. It isn't better then SC2 editor but still good. I have a map of great detail, but I stopped working on it. I forgot to share an image of it, but here are 3 images of it.

here
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The map isn't finished, I've discontinued it. If you've ever played the diablo 3 maps on warcraft III that is also what I can do.
    Edit: Note that this is in world editor mode, therefore the platforms and other effects arn't visable.

Attached Files:

7. Deolrin

Deolrin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm sorry, but... I'm yet to see anything that even compares to the "Diablo 3 Warcraft maps" from you. Your terrain always lacks proper tile variation, and it always looks repetitive and boring. :(

8. Aztec_devil2000

Aztec_devil2000

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thats what unfinished maps should look like, if I had the need to create terrain like diablo 3 then I'd have images to share. But since that type of work requires more than 24 hours of work I havn't bothered. The terrain that i've showen so far has only been a quick 10mins at least.

Edit: Although I must say I can create good cinematics. I've already created 5 warcraft 3 videos.

9. Amargaard

Amargaard

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Stranglethorn Vale terrain = Done! It looks sorta like this - units and pathing blockers still have to be re-added, but Silverfish will take care of that.
    Moving on to Duskwood terrain as soon as possible :)
    Stranglethorn Vale terrain screenshot
    [​IMG]

10. Deolrin

Deolrin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Oh wow, this looks REALLY good! :O
    I just hope there's lots of troll ruins everywhere. That would be the best. :3

11. Marshmalo

Marshmalo

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Stranglethorn looks great good job Amargaard!

12. Silverfish423

Silverfish423

Resources:
    Resources:
    You've done it again!! :D Can't wait to see duskwood! Although what does lower stranglethorn vale look like, could you post that pic as well?

13. Amargaard

Amargaard

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Thanks guys, Duskwood terrain = done too. Will send the map to Silverfish in a jiffy :)
    I made sure there's space for Darkshire town, if you wanna make that. You can easily remove trees if you also wanna include Vul'Gol Ogre Mound, the Yorgen Farmstead etc etc :)
    Southern Stranglethorn Vale & Duskwood terrain screenshots
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. Hell_Master

Hell_Master

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Nice terrain. Good job! But only my suggestion is that is it flat? Looks like or is it just in that view?

But overall, nice terrain, +3 REP (oh damn.... spread again...).

15. Silverfish423

Silverfish423

Resources:
    Resources:
    Nope that is just the view! Raven Hill (the cemetary on the western side of Duskwood) is at a higher elevation than the rest of the region.

Excellent again Amargaard! I will add Darkshire but I am trying to decide if they will be owned by Stormwind, neutral hostile, or neutral passive that is affected by certain affects (ie Worgen Curse..Undead rampage, etc)
    In the meantime though do Deadwind Pass next. Since Swamp of Sorrows is connected to the Gurubashi Tribe, I'd like that to work over that way so I can finish up the masteries that work in conjunction with that region :)

EDIT: What are other people's thoughts on Darkshire's ownership? I am leaning towards neutral passive events (I could even include Elune's scythe in the mix) but I'd like to hear others' opinions

16. Deolrin

Deolrin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Depends on what areas neighbor it, I suppose. If there's an alliance pressenve nearby, it should be owned by Stormwind.

17. Silverfish423

Silverfish423

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah Elwynn Forest and the Redridge mountains, north and northeast of Darkshire, are both owned by Stormwind, but I feel that if all 3 of those regions are owned by Stormwind at the start it is too much of an early advantage. So Ill set it so Darkshire can be obtained by Stormwind by entering Darkshire so that it isnt OP

18. Corvus

Corvus

Resources:
    Resources:
    Necro

Yes, I'm Necroing this thread, is this project completely dead? If so, could we hand it over to someone who would like to work on it? It was an amazing map from what I could tell, and would like to see it brought to fruition.

19. StoPCampinGn00b

StoPCampinGn00b

Community Manager

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I want to know that too.

I see problems in the map...
    1) The plateau tool is used to sharply
    2) Raised ground is perfect in some places, and some places are just to flat. Let the path sink in between raised grounds, it will look great

Well, that's all for now. Not interested in reviewing right now.

20. Amargaard

Amargaard

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    As the project's terrainer, I'm very sorry for my inactivity - I've been without World Editor in a looooong time, and I know that's been demotivating Silverfish a great deal, but well.. I don't know what happened to him :l

I'd still love to get back to the job, once I get my Warcraft back, hopefully Silverfish will too, before that :)