1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Map Development: The Scourging of Azeroth

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by Silverfish423, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Aztec_devil2000

Aztec_devil2000

Resources:
    Resources:
    I know someone who can do jass for your map, he is a solid profeshonal as he has told me, he does nothing but jass so he could be just the guy for you. His name is halornek his currently in my clan @uswest.... Also 50% optimizer would be nice, i could do that with my herowars map which is currently being hosted by Clan ENT and there are no other downloads but Clan ENT's hostbot so i'm stuck there.

2. Silverfish423

Silverfish423

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm estimating 50% after I remove the custom models and skins (essentially, anything complex which in the end is not needed) which are not required along with the compression and optimization. Although I have heard from some people that certain optimizers have been able to get higher percentages, but I have a feeling that varies between maps.

3. Aztec_devil2000

Aztec_devil2000

Resources:
    Resources:
    I guess so, halornek would be his username. Unless i am wrong and i've spelt his name wrong.

4. Silverfish423

Silverfish423

Resources:
    Resources:
    I sent him a message but he has not been on that account for a year or so. Let him know next time you see him!

5. Aztec_devil2000

Aztec_devil2000

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ok, just added the motd for my clan channel to tell him to check his hiveworkshop!

6. Silverfish423

Silverfish423

Resources:
    Resources:
    Sweet, thanks a lot man =)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  7. Silverfish423

Silverfish423

Resources:
    Resources:
    Heavy construction of WC3 is to commence today =) I appreciate all of your patience with this map! I will return in a day or so with updates.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  8. Silverfish423

Silverfish423

Resources:
    Resources:
    I wanted to let everyone know that I am in the process of learning Jass which I will use to create more efficient income systems and other triggers. During this time period, the world terrain will be being created. I plan on having both ready around the same time.

If all goes as planned, beta testing should commence shortly after this, approximately the middle of January. I will just be starting school at this point, which means I will have little time for heavy conceptualization and designing. However, I will be able to make changes to the map in response to problems and issues that you all will undoubtedly discover as you partake in the beta testing process.

Thanks everyone =)

9. Deathwing_XXX

Deathwing_XXX

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hey,Silverfish!!!
    How about use the models in this site its full of WoW Models converted to Warcraft III format(I dont know if it works but the index said so) Good Luck in your Project
    LINK:
    http://wcunderground.freeforums.org/index.php

10. Sky Green

Sky Green

Resources:
    Resources:
    There's a reason why those models aren't used to much deathwing xxx. Sure they are converted to wc3 format but they still take more space than other models, and if you have 50 models, well, it increases the filesize a lot. And for b.net the max is 8mb (I don't know why).

11. Linkin

Linkin

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    A lot of those models don't look that good in game, seen many of them and they don't really fit the art style. Unless you make every unit use those models.

12. Deathwing_XXX

Deathwing_XXX

Resources:
    Resources:
    OH,sorry I could not test the models because my WE has been deleted.

13. Amargaard

Amargaard

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I have played your test map, and I know it's very much in beta version and it's not finished at all, but the terraining was the first thing to catch my eye. Wow, it doesn't look like you're much of a big terrainer at all. I admire you for running this project and all, but honestly your terrain could use a lot of improvement.
    I don't know if you want to run this project completely by yourself, but if you are willing to take in team members to help you, I'd love to help you in this :)
    I think I'm pretty much qualified for the job of a terrainer, if you are aiming for a terrain like Azeroth Wars or DaoW etc :)
    In case you need it, I can also provide icon artwork :)

I think you misunderstood his question :)
    What he meant to say is that, in a map like this, when you're able to choose one of several races, with a 12 player restriction, there will always be several races that are not chosen by any player. What about those races? They will easily be defeated by the real players.
    Like he said, in case all players choose some races on EK, Outland and Northrend, and one player only choose a race on Kalimdor - let's take the night elves as an example. Wouldn't it be horribly unfair that this one player easily can take completely control over the Orcs and other factions on Kalimdor, while all the other players, on the other continents, will have to fight hard against other real-life players to achieve glory. And then in late game, when the victorious players from different continents meet, the night elven player from Kalimdor have gotten tons of income without trouble at all. In a game like yours, where many races will remain unchosen each game, how can you possibly make it fair to all the other races? :)

14. Silverfish423

Silverfish423

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yes I definitely agree, I do not pretend to be a terrainer and at this point I am simply laying down the basic layout for gameplay purposes. I plan on the terrain aesthetics to be the last thing added because they should not affect gameplay too drastically. However, if you could showcase me some of your work, I would appreciate that! I know Aztec_Devil wanted to work on the terrain as well, so perhaps you 2 can work together.

Oh yes, I see what you mean. Fortunately, I have been on both ends of that sort of issue in games such as Azeroth Wars and DAoW. First off, the map is essentially divided into 7 regions: Northrend, Outland, Oceans, North Kalimdor, South Kalimdor, North Eastern Kingdoms, and South Eastern Kingdoms. Each region is assigned 2 players (except the Oceans and Northrend which is assigned 1) for a total of 12 players. The leftover races (12+) will be controlled by computers. When it is determined which races are not chosen by players, they will be given additional units and defenses and they will engage in offensive and defensive tactics. This will force every player to be near another and remove the unfair advantage of having easily conquerable bases owned by passive computers.

Hello Deathwing! I appreciate the website link for the WoW models, however, WoW models tend to be too high of filesize which is a big issue for this type of map. In addition, the art style of WoW models doesn't match that of WC3 models.

15. Silverfish423

Silverfish423

Resources:
    Resources:
    Gurubashi Empire has been under heavy construction...it is playable as player Green. Let me know what you guys think! Also, let me know if the income trigger is not working for you (you should receive 25g in the first 60 seconds)

16. Metalbear

Metalbear

Resources:
    Template:
    Resources:
    DUUUUD, protect the map! Not cause some retard will steal it, its almost reaching 8mb!
    I got disappointed for discovering that this map was only a show up of how things are made so far. As the red player, I had control only over some 6-9 trollzorz in northrend, and 1 frog ... -.-

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  17. ImperialShadow

ImperialShadow

Resources:
    Resources:
    Metalbear,this map still in construction.

18. Nightblade

Nightblade

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is back it seems, hope it doesnt die again.

19. Silverfish423

Silverfish423

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thanks for your concern Metalbear, but I don't think the 8mb limit will be an issue at this point because the map is not ready for multiplayer (which most of the time implies B-Net) testing. Also, red is not ready. However, if you want to test a race, play as green =)

You shall see!

20. Nightblade

Nightblade

Resources:
    Resources:
    Warned you to watch out for this, Silverfish. I know how easy it is to get carried away by the sheer number of models here, but remember, gameplay is far more important. I'll play the map and see where you can cut down.