1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Map Development: The Scourging of Azeroth

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by Silverfish423, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Silverfish423

Silverfish423

Resources:
    Resources:
    @xie323: What exactly do you mean? Are you asking if there will be AI controlled units and if players can control other players' units?

@Sky Green: Is that another modding site??

2. Sky Green

Sky Green

Resources:
    Resources:
    It's not only a modding site, but also a community, much larger than the hive, a lot of maps like daow and azzy wars have their sub-forums there.

3. xie323

xie323

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yes something like that.

4. Silverfish423

Silverfish423

Resources:
    Resources:
    @Sky Green: Ooh, very cool! I will have to check it out once SoA is done!

@xie323: im not sure about team control, but i would like to implement AI for the races that are not chosen by players at the beginning of the game. The reason for that is because upon game initialization, atleast 50% of the races will not be played by people, so I'd like that 50% to still be doing stuff so that the people can interact. You can read a short description of this system in the "brain-storming" section of the main thread!

EDIT: Right now I am looking for a model to represent Gelbin Mekkatorque, the leader of the Gnomes. Any ideas anyone? (preferably one that is low filesize)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  5. Silverfish423

Silverfish423

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hey everyone, I am going to upload some pictures as a sort of "sneak peak" at the updates coming up in the next map upload...so stay tuned!

EDIT: Pictures!! These are some things I did 2 days ago including Burning Steppes, but it looked ugly cause I had many buildings there that will go in other places. Hoping to have Elwynn Forest, Duskwood, and Westfall done by Friday or Saturday!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  6. MogulKahn

MogulKahn

Resources:
    Resources:
    Looking forward for this ! Great idea ! But some things are confusing here, like Illidan alive, Varimathras etc

7. Silverfish423

Silverfish423

Resources:
    Resources:
    @MogulKahn: Aw yes, I see your confusion. This map is to take place after the events of 'The Frozen Throne' campaign..in which case heroes such as Illidan and Varimathras are still alive! And thank you for your interest :)

8. Silverfish423

Silverfish423

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hey guys, coming to let everyone know that SoA will be going on a slight pause for roughly a month. I am going to enter the Mini-Mapping Contest: The Drums in the Dungeon! I am entering so I can perhaps draw more attention to SoA since it is connected to me =)
    As such, I will not be able to devote all of my time to SoA for that duration. However, I will still work on it. Also, at the end of the month duration I will have started school, which will demand much of my time. So after that do not expect many updates. But don't worry, when I have free time, I will work on SoA =)

Any questions? Ask away!

EDIT: It is not 100% confirmed that I will participate in the mini-mapping contest. I will start making a map and see how I feel about it after a few days. I will let you guys know if I continue to pursue it when the time comes

EDIT2: Nevermind guys, I decided to not enter the contest. So SoA will be under heavy construction for atleast anothre month =)

EDIT3: Hey everyone. So school has been in session for a few weeks now, so SoA will be put on hold until this session of school is over (then I will be able to work on it during winter break). Until then, I will probably only periodically update the map, but probably nothing major. I will let you guys know if major updates occur!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  9. Deathwing_XXX

Deathwing_XXX

Resources:
    Resources:
    Is this project in progress or dead??

10. Silverfish423

Silverfish423

Resources:
    Resources:
    I would say that it is on pause. It isn't dead, cause I'm not done working on it, but I am not working on it at the moment because I am in school and can't devote a significant amount of time to the map. But come winter break I will be able to do so :)

11. Deathwing_XXX

Deathwing_XXX

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh, well good luck in making this map.:thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up:

12. Silverfish423

Silverfish423

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thank you Deathwing_XXX! I Greatly appreciate it :) Map construction should resume in less than a month, so I hope you all are ready for when this comes back to take it's rightful spot as the best Map Development Project on TheHive =)

13. Linkin

Linkin

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hello Silverfish423, I got two big question for you.

Unless I've misunderstood something this is meant to be a online map, and from what I see not Everything is done yet, yet the file size is almost at the breaking Point.
    It's not only that but the bigger the map is, the longer it takes to download it. and that will lead to people getting impatient and leaving because it takes way to long. Did you already know of this or something, this is most likely the maps biggest problem as I can see.

The second problem I see is that how will you make it fair? Let's say only one player ends up picking a race on Kalimdor, won't he has way to easy to gain a massive income without even fighting, now how do you intend to combat that problem?

14. Aztec_devil2000

Aztec_devil2000

Resources:
    Resources:
    filesize really does not matter, depending on how good the hostbot is it will only take acouple of seconds to download no matter what the size. And who said that the game will be autohosted? Autohosted games people hate, but people who host the game themselves and actually talk to the people who join then you are fine.

15. Linkin

Linkin

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Oh really?
    That's why the only chance to get a full game without using garena is M-bot?, well unless you play Dota. And M-bot is 100mb/s = 80 seconds for each download.
    And not everyone has even a 100mb/s internet. So yeah, size does matter.

16. Sky Green

Sky Green

Resources:
    Resources:
    That's what she said. :ogre_hurrhurr:

On a serious note, the most important thing is that it doesn't cross 8mb. Since B.net only supports maps up to 8megabytes. By the way, if you didn't you can compress the map. I also propose that if you need, use less custom models and just tint originals. Use Jass instead of GUI if you know how, Jass takes less bytes that GUI if I recall. But as I already said, the most important thing is to use less custom models, a map's quality also depends on how good you use the models you already have.

17. Linkin

Linkin

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    This is pretty much the message, sure there are a lot of good models out there but only use the ones you actually need etc. sure a new footman would look good but would it really be needed.

And if it is really needed try to go below 120kb, anything over that is normally not worth it. With a few exceptions.

18. Aztec_devil2000

Aztec_devil2000

Resources:
    Resources:
    My hostbots are on a 1gigabyte connection server, people don't need to worry about downloading... I haven't been bothered to connect the bots to Garena yet, but a good and fun map does not need this conversation because it doesn't matter how big it is, people can download it from epicwar. It also depends on how many versions there are, if people keep downloading a new version then probably your right...

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  19. Silverfish423

Silverfish423

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yes, I see what you mean in regards to the filesize being at a breaking point. As I work on the map, I put what I want in the map, but then when the filesize gets too large, I go back and see what actually needs to stay and what can go away. So the filesize fluctuates essentially, and it will get smaller. In addition, I have not compressed/optimized the map, which will reduce filesize by roughly 50%
    The fairness is most definitely another issue. When the skeleton of the map is complete, I plan on using some programs to run hundreds of battles and give me statistics on what the movement speeds, attack rates, etc., should be changed to in order to maintain the feel of the unit but make battles fair. This is where strategy and such will come into play.

I am currently using JassNewGen, however, I have made most of the triggers myself. I plan on handing the map over to someone who knows jass well and can tune up the triggers. In addition, I have yet to optimize and compress the map, so filesize will surely be below 8mb (considering it is at 7mb)

Agreed! Which is why most custom models are applied to heroes. There tends to be not many copies of the same hero model, and they will dissapear permanently every once in awhile. After that is decided, special stuff such as custom footmen models will only be done if everything else is able to be kept relatively even.

This is also a good point. Once the map is released to thehiveworkshop for download, I will transfer the map to other websites to be downloadable. But I want thehiveworkshop to be the first place that it is able to be uploaded from.

20. Linkin

Linkin

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Another question, what kind of optimizer do you use to get 50% off the map?
    The one I use only takes roughly 25-15% with a full optiomiztion.