• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map Crashed. Does map file size matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hey there!

I am making a WoW map (or were making since i can't do anything further :razz:). I tested it and now Warcraft closes when i load the map. Any idea why? :bored: Is the map to big? Hope i can get some help here. :wink:

Dethekkus/Shadow_Math123

Last edited:
Level 24
. . .

Map sizes don't affect the editor but when run in War3 you get a message "Map is too Big" if it is over say, 4MB (roughly). There are ways to get arounf this (ie: DOTA)

If it crashes the world editor it is likely that the MPQ is broken. While possible to fiz you have to know what you are doing.

P.S, try attaching the map and I will try to open it.
P.P.S, Accidentally protect the map . . . I don't see how that would be possible

Level 7
Just for clarification, not even maps with 1000 mb crash the game(well maybe but i doubt itll reach that) the only limit is for B.Net, if you don't want your map to be played on B.Net then you can have it the size you want.

Level 7
I never had that even with a really big map size, many campaign have really BIG size, and don't crash it.(for example Pyrities campaign is 45 mb)

Level 11
Hmmm, I have had maps at 4.5MB and have gotten that error.

I don't belive that I am imagining things. . .??

Anything above 4mb will get the "File is too big" error when you try to run it on LAN or battle.net, other than that there is almost no limit on file size for single player.

However, wc3 does appear to crash when it reaches 712mb of memory, so in theory it would not be possible to load a map bigger then that.

Dota is less then 4mb, otherwise it wouldn't be hostable. Matter of fact, I just checked and the most current dota is 3mb.

(Now that I think about it, maybe the limit is 5mb, but I'm pretty sure its 4)

Level 3
It's also possible to crash if you use triggers to put units outside of the map boundary, or try to use a trigger that calls itself indefinitely. I had both problems before. But map crashing could be caused by *anything*, so I might suggest a little bit of step-by-step troubleshooting to get to the source. (E.g. Disable all triggers, and see if there's something wrong; then create a copy of the map with all the units removed, and check again; etc.)

Level 17
He said:

THE MAP CRASHES WARCRAFT 3.

Not the map editor. Jeez. Who cares if it's protected or not?
They must have imported some crappy models or made some incorrect algorythm or their JASSer screwed up a JASS script or something like that.
But it's not like we can pull out our crystal balls from our hat and tell you what's wrong. You'll have to be more specific OR post the map and hope somebody will care OR troubleshoot it yourself. No3 is the fastest and best way to do this. You might even learn something nice.

Level 3
Yay, fixed editor. Now it can load the map and I can find out what's wrong. Besides, I will not protect the map before it's done.

Level 3
It's always good to know that people who ask for help actually read the posts carefully what other people running to the rescue wrote.
Well yea. You are over the limit.
13288 / 1024 = 12.98
That means you are over the 4MB limit by 9 MBs.

Oh, that's bad. Then I will see if i can make the map size 9MBs lower.

Level 11
It's also possible to crash if you use triggers to put units outside of the map boundary, or try to use a trigger that calls itself indefinitely. I had both problems before. But map crashing could be caused by *anything*, so I might suggest a little bit of step-by-step troubleshooting to get to the source. (E.g. Disable all triggers, and see if there's something wrong; then create a copy of the map with all the units removed, and check again; etc.)

That was patched. As far as I know, SetUnitX(999999999,999999999) will no longer crash. Of course if you try really hard you could probably cause an overflow...

Level 3
That was patched. As far as I know, SetUnitX(999999999,999999999) will no longer crash. Of course if you try really hard you could probably cause an overflow...

Off-topic:

Huh? The last time I did that, I had an error, although I was using patch 1.21a, not 1.21b. I was trying to debug a trigger that stores and restores every unit's initial X & Y using custom value. It took me a while to realize that my trigger was wrongly placing units up to 50% beyond the map (and sometimes in deep sea).

Level 19
SetUnitPosition(u,99999999999999999999999999999999,99999999999999999999999)
wont
SetUnitX(u,9999999999999999999999999999999999999) will as I know

Level 11
Any number above a certain number will crash because of overflow. What I meant was, the game will no longer crash because of using SetUnitX/SetUnitY outside of map bounds.

Level 7
It will never say map size is too big if your not in B.Net. Anyways you probably uploaded some bugged models Dethekkus, try removing all your models one by one and see whats the bugged one, if it's none then it can be sounds, icons, etc......

Level 4
Could you have scratches in the disk or something? When copying lots of data gigabytes can be lost in the ether.
Just a thought.... I'm new here..... :}

Status
Not open for further replies.