• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Malygos turns evil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Evil is a matter of perspective. Malygos does what he believes is right (coughArthascough).
To tell the truth I don't like this all story with Malygos, Dalaran and Rhonin (Especially Rhonin). However, after a bit of thinking, I do believe it can have few good sides...
I shall remain abstain about the matter until "Night of the Dragon" will be released.

Technically, if you look at the previous lore and the lore in WotLK, you'll see that Malygos is fighting a never ending battle to cleanse what Deathwing did. And I think you won't be able to "kill" him, but just defeat him, mainly because if Malygos dies, every single magic user will be destroyed/crippled/drained, and Azeroth's ley lines would most likely stop functioning.

Level 9
Technically, if you look at the previous lore and the lore in WotLK, you'll see that Malygos is fighting a never ending battle to cleanse what Deathwing did. And I think you won't be able to "kill" him, but just defeat him, mainly because if Malygos dies, every single magic user will be destroyed/crippled/drained.

Where did this conclusion come from? Spellcasters don't draw their Arcane energy from Malygos. Malygos is just the keeper, not the source.

Level 9
Tiny chance? The Burning Legion has invaded Azeroth twice already, not including all those years that demons infiltrated Azeroth because of reckless spell casting.
Malygos probably thinks that "The cause justifies the means".
I agree with him about the cause, I just not entirely sure about the means.

Level 9
Fel Magic is a kind of arcane magic that can be used to summon demons, while all kinds of arcane magic draw them. Arcane magic cause to corruption: all spellcasters hears the voices of the nether and one's mind must be strong in order to ignore them.
The reason for the long time between the two invasions was the Order of Trisifal, which worked hard to keep the demons at bay. Unfortunately, the Order is no longer exist.

Besides, the damage the Legion causes in every invasion is so massive it takes centuries for the world to recover, if entirely.

You can't say: "They invade only twice in ten thousand years!". Such invasion should have never occur, and even the most minuscule of chances must be handled and eliminated before it is too late.

However, Malygos idea isn't the right solution to my opinion.

I agree that the caster must have a responsibility. But sometimes he isn't known to the damage he causes (He doesn't always sense the demons and there to handle them) or just dosen't strong enough (Neither in mind nor in power).

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
If Malygos would simply gather the Kirin'Tor and make an alliance with them, a pact, so to say, in which they all agree to be more responsible, things would go a lot smoother and wouldn't involve the inevitable cataclysm he's unveiling right now.

But, well... WoW needs to have its raids.

Well, all Arcane users must know the Four laws of the Arcane

• Magic is Powerful.

• Magic is Corrupting.

• Magic is an Addiction.

• Magic attracts the Twisting Nether Like Flies to Honey.
Those who don't know them often lead to disasters. Malygos tries to fight them, but apparently, he confuses the people who know them with people who don't know them, so he's fighting the entire Arcane community.

Level 9
I don't think he confuses between them. I believe Malygos knows that there are few responsible powerful spell-casters out there, but to his opinion this number is so thin that their existence and influence are almost irrelevant (At least in this matter).

About the matter of the red dragon-flight:
To my opinion the reds should have never got into this openly with the wizards. We have to remember that the only dragonflight that ever rose up against the other flights was the black dragon flight, and their aspect was indeed crazy (Unlike Malygos).

I believe that between the four dragon-flights there is a great bound (Between the blues and the reds this bound grew even stronger due to the recent events) and they would never attack each other, no matter what the second has become. (This can be for no good as well. For example: in the second war, while the red dragonflight was in danger, the other flights weren't very anxious to come and help them. However, if it was another dragon flight that was imprisoned, I believe that Alexstrasza would have come with her flight to rescue them since she is more caring the rest of the aspects, which strengthen my opinion about the reds coming into direct conflict with the blues.)

To my opinion, if the wizards would have fought alone while the red dragon-flight would have handled this situation by trying to make sense with the blues (like frostwhisper has mentioned) or have tried to influence and help the wizards from behind the scenes (Krasus is in great position of doing that), it has been much more reasonable (to me).

However, blizzard's story could be explained by that the reds have felt committed to Rhonin (who now miraculously stands in the head of the Kirin Tor) due to his actions in the past and came to help him. But I think it is unlikely because the bound with the blues is stronger.

The solution frostwhisper came up with was good, just make the pact an Order.

This is all confusing now, Blizzard retconned every single thing. I bet that in the end, we'll find out that Malygos got possessed like Kalecgos did in Sunwell Plateau and he's talking and doing rubbish and blah, blah, blah, Lich King is behind it. I wouldn't be surprised to see that with Blizzard destroying the lore, even though he was announced to return to his sanity.

I would laugh so hard if the battle went like this: You can see Malygos up from an opening in the wall high above where he is standing. As you look down on him Alexstraza swoops in and begins to talk. She convices Malygos to stop fighting and set the ley lines back to normal. Malygos calls to his men telling them to halt the attack. He flies up to the raiders and drops a large treasure chest which you can open and take loot from. It is his way as an appology.

Either that or the Dragonqueen swoops down and b@#$%slaps Malygos when he isn't paying attention.

Edit: Knowing Blizzard, they will do something similar.

Level 2
That's just fantastic. First Illidan loses his sanity, so you have to kill him.
Now Malygos REGAINS his sanity, so you have to klll him.

Level 9
You can't kill Malygos, else every single magic user will be destroyed/crippled/drained, and Azeroth's ley lines would most likely stop functioning.

You again? I have already told you, Malygos is NOT the source of magic. He is just the keeper and a powerful caster. The spell-casters will be able to use their magics even if he is gone.
Where have you heard this stuff anyway?

Level 9
WoWWiki says so.

Unforseen consequences may be practically anything, so I always go for the worst-case scenario.

And I never said he's the source of magic.

Oh! Wowwiki says so… everything is clear now.

I am not going to yell what I think about Wowwiki here… I just warn you not to relay on it too much.

There is no official place that says that the Earth will be destroyed if Deathwing would die; that life will be over if Alexstrasza would perish, that the Emerald Dream will gone if Ysera would fall, that the time will end over if Nozdormu would be destroyed and finally, that magic will collapse if Malygos would get killed.
It is not even logical.

The Dragons are not gods, they are powerful beings long ago charged by the titans to watch over the world. The end of one of them does not mean the end of part of the world, although it would be a very sad event.

When you said that Magic will be gone if Malygos would die you have actually hinted that he is the source of magic, as no one will be able to cast spells anymore on Azeroth since the lack of his presence.

Last edited:
You don't seem to get my point, do you? Magic is volatile and easily abusive, and Malygos is there to prevent magic-oriented catastrophes. Now, if Malygos would die, there would be none left in charge of controlling the flow of magic, and there comes my statement, a catastrophe. There could be a magic overflow, or a stop in its flow. Nothing is sure.

Level 9
You don't seem to get my point, do you? Magic is volatile and easily abusive, and Malygos is there to prevent magic-oriented catastrophes. Now, if Malygos would die, there would be none left in charge of controlling the flow of magic, and there comes my statement, a catastrophe. There could be a magic overflow, or a stop in its flow. Nothing is sure.

I don't think this is true; Malygos does not control the Flow of Magic. A prove to that is that he abandoned his duties for 10,000 years and isolated himself. If your speculation was true, the mortal races wouldn't have survived this period. But they survived and managed without his help (Nor the other Aspects, by the way) and developed in the ways of magic almost equally to the Highborn.

Although I agree that originally Malygos is the one who charge on dealing with... "magic-oriented catastrophes" you called it? The mortal races' wizards managed to avoid and deal with them quite nicely during his... absence.

Level 22
The lore is destroyed anyway. They can kill off whoever they want now. After the whole WoW series is complete, including all the expansions, they're going to have to write all new lore anyways, since WotLK is going to wrap up/conclude everything that has happened in all the previous games. particularly once Arthas' dead body hits the ground. They'll need to release another story heavy WC game and start anew from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.