1. Head to the 33rd Modeling Contest Poll and drink to your heart's desire.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Choose your means of doom in the 17th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. A slave to two rhythms, the 22nd Terraining Contest is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The die is cast - the 6th Melee Mapping Contest results have been announced. Onward to the Hive Cup!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The glory of the 20th Icon Contest is yours for the taking!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Making decisions

Discussion in 'Medivh's Tower' started by The World Is Flat, Dec 15, 2009.

1. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Why do people make the decsisions they do? its somthing i have been interested in for a long time, and i am at some times truely puzzled. some people hold on to lost causes for far to long and i wonder why they do this. i do belive these are called cognative biases, and the sunk-cost but i was wonder why people make the decsions they do, and what factors influence those decisions. I am taking a coures in critical decsision making at my collage, and am interested in the subject further.

2. Vosty

Vosty

Resources:
    Resources:
    Varibles. Everything is controlled by variables. You just have to find them.

3. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Ofc. but how do you find the variables? and how do you use them and work around them... :(

4. Vosty

Vosty

Resources:
    Resources:
    You cna't find all of them, for they are not yours to discover.
    But some things you can know is:
    The friends the person has
    The schedule the person has
    The person's upbringings
    The age of the person

Really, there are a lot more things taht I don't mention. The thing is that everything you do is influenced by something. It is impossible to make an unbiased decsion. Something back in your head makes you do it.

5. En_Fuego

En_Fuego

Resources:
    Resources:
    I usually just think before I do...I think real hard about all of the possible outcomes and I think of what the best method I could react to them is...then I think of outcomes for those reactions...

Decisions are basically a long chain that never end, but hey, that's life.

6. Kingz

Kingz

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I mostly do what my instinct says me to do, so you could say i am a bit impulsive.

Though i try to make decisions which affect the least number of people possible, since i think decisions are personal and shouldn't affect more people than just yourself.

Unfourtunately i find myself sometimes thinking several hours about the decision I made and of the things that it may cause.

I don't think decisions are purely based on variables, if something can influence your judgement is isn't your decision after all.

You do what you find right, what you find correct, if you get influenced by others you may come to regret the decision you made on the end.

7. Dreadnought[dA]

Dreadnought[dA]

Resources:
    Resources:
    "Think like a man of action. Act like a man of thought"
    Not extremely relevant, but I thought it was fitting.

Vosty is right. Everything is all variables. Your environment shapes you. "Well then why does kid brought up in goody tooshoes family because mass murderer?" We have no idea, other than it's a hidden variable. It could be something they saw when they are very young and they thought about it a lot and over time it has become a secret obsession. Really unfortunate but it happens.

8. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Thank you for the insights everyone, i am finding this all very interesting. and i agree with vosty as well.

9. As a Satanist, you could say my decisions are biased towards my own benefit, as I value my own benefit above all else. I don't do anything that isn't guaranteed to benefit me in any way at all. Not saying I don't care about anyone else but me, there's plenty of ways a friendship can be a benefit, and maintaining that friendship as well. Basically, I define my own benefit, thus destroying the significance of the term. It all comes down to making the decisions I want to, although evaluating the outcome beforehand. It's not necessarily the immediate response to your choice that matters, but more often the long-term change.

Right, so I basically contributed nothing to this discussion as it's still about variables. The value of the 'personal benefit' variable is more perhaps more significant to me, as a Satanist, than to you, though.

10. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Well who is to say i'm not a satanist aswell? And pretty much all you jsut said is true to you i suppose. so no need to comment further... -.-.

11. The Reborn Devil

The Reborn Devil

Resources:
    Resources:
    Nothing is random, so it's all based on what you've experienced from when you were just a few seconds old and what genes you got. Many believe that the first three years are the most important years when defining who you're going to be. Even if you, from when you are 4 years old, get cookies and love and care, you're still in the danger zone for becoming a mass murderer if you f.ex. see something when you are 1 year old. Also, if someone you knew died or killed someone you might get neurological breakdowns and go crazy later if you see something similar again.
    I think vosty basically sums it all up nicely though.

12. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    OFc he does. i remeber reading somwhere that in your early years of life you are programmed to fit in with your society, you learn all the rules, how your supposed to act toward somthing etc. so such disruptions could cause massive amounts of trauma to a person. we generally make decisions based on our social and moral standing, somthng that we learn from our relatives. and so the absence of such could be very bad indeed.

13. Meh, even if you've got the most caring family there is, you could still end up a mindless killer. Too much care is a bad thing as well, especially when it comes to an end. Though it is generally the case that your childhood defines who you are, it's the abnormalities that affects you the most - at least that's what I think.

14. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Accually i agree with you, even though we humans got our pwerful brains because of the need for adaptability, we still have a hard time with it :(

15. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The two most relevant factors (variables, if you prefer the term) – if not the only ones, after concluding the sums – when taking decisions are needs and fears. Some needs and fears are, of course, determined by the environment each individual grows in and what is necessary to survive.

16. baassee

baassee

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Wonder if what my math teacher said concludes reborns statement, nothing is random. As she actually said, everything can be counted except one thing, love.

17. Hakeem

Hakeem

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    To keep face.