1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Lords of Middle Earth

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by GolluM_KoMe, Oct 18, 2010.

1. PastTime

PastTime

Resources:
    Resources:
    As far as I know and I suppose that LoME is lore friendly to LotR. The pirates of Umbar were pretty common in Middle Earth (especially as mercenaries during wars). But yeah they were more like an army of bandits though.

2. GolluM_KoMe

GolluM_KoMe

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Thank you !! btw they were not really Umbarean, they just mostly come from souther territories. But u're right, umbar usually use em as mercenaries !!
    Yep ! That's why they wouldnt b able to seize towns if I add them on LoME

3. Tleno

Tleno

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    I want myself somewhere more far away from other "pets" as you call them. You know, so there wouldn't be much of them cluttered in single place.
    erm dude, as Desktop general already said once, population system is too hard, adding a one custom one for specific players would make it harder.
    And yes Corsairs sound better.

4. GolluM_KoMe

GolluM_KoMe

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    In fact it would be easier than the normal one: you'd just have 2 kind of pop (no $$$). + less jobs with your buildings. This means you cannot stay in your protected nest to earn money: you have to do your corsair's job, u get it ?? :)

5. Tleno

Tleno

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Yes, I see the point, but why not allow any player do this? I mean, raiding cities and pillaging them. Not just two of players, but all could choose a life of crime.

6. PastTime

PastTime

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah tleno's point is right. It would improve the gameplay feeling really much, the freedom is the thing that most people will seek in this map.

7. GolluM_KoMe

GolluM_KoMe

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Hum ye why not; but this option (of plundering a seized region) is for example available in Napoleon Total War: if you do so, you keep the region but the population is angry + the region loose a large amount of its wealth. I NEVER chose it ....
    I think if I'd like to add the option of plundering a region, when someone destroys a city, a dialog box would appear with : "Capture the Region" and "Plunder the Region"
    with capture, everything is the same, but if you plunder it, according to the population of the town, you earn an amount of money BUT
    -the population is decreased
    -you cannot use the ressource stuff for X sec (like an Iron Mine)
    -some nooby soldiers attack you (just to simulate a little revolt
    -maybe also the Town building is paused for Y sec (you cannot use it to defend the town).
    Then the population would grow (inversely proportional to the population). This would be a lot of work, but needed, as in contrary the town could be plundered again and again with giving a lot of money.
    OR you would just cannot be able to use the buildings (of the region) for X sec + a little rebellion.

An an other hand, the corsair player could only plunder the town, would get extra money + the town is not usable by anyone (not even its owner, which keeps it). The pirate player could not plunder it for about 25 min but anyone can attack it but can only capture it. This way, you kinda can agree on an agreement with the corsair player : you help him to plunder the town, but in this way, he also helps you to seize the town, right after it's plundered as no defences remain! would be fun xD

I have a lot of ideas with the corsair, as in fact, I first wanted the player to be able to follow 1 of 3 the three next ways: Bandit, Warrior or "Mayor". that's why at the beggining there are different runes in front of the heroes, but there's no bandits as it was too complicated at first.

Btw i need a huge advice:
    I really wanna make that corsair lair but the map is not big enough... + I kinda think the village of Endil is really annoying as far from every thing (The one in North West); but I made a lot of work on it. This room would be used to create the corsair nest of course.
    BUT this brings new problem : as it's a 8 players map, there NEEDS to be 8 villages at the beggining so someone could take the corsaire nest at the very beggining and I'm not sure it's a good idea...

The best solution would be to find an other room on the map to create the den... for example but erasing some places that are kinda useless ... but its very hard to make a choice;
    HELP MEEEEE !!

Exaclty :)

8. Desktop_General

Desktop_General

Resources:
    Resources:
    I don't know much about Similarion, and probably most people don't, so I think that gives you a lot of leeway in creating content for your map. If it had Similarion in the title, that would be a different story. However, the truer you are to Tolkien lore the better. Anyway, since you already have pirates and corsairs in the game, I don't see a problem with your new idea.

I do have a suggestion, though. I think that tleno is right. Why not let all players choose pirate (or whatever) as a path. That would feel more natural instead of just adding pirates to your map as an afterthought. It seems like an ambitious idea already, but maybe you could take things a step further, and have this be just one of several new options players have to play the game. You could add each option 1 at a time, starting with pirates. This would solve your problem regarding beginning player towns. You wouldn't need to change those at all, because any of the players could "go pirate". This idea would be similar to STARS where you can choose from among several different styles (one of which also happens to be pirates). You might want to check out the map Bloody Pirates (an excellent map which might give you some ideas).

An alternative would be an idea that was tossed around in the Founders of the North forums: allowing players to choose different styles of play as mentioned which would affect the units they can build etc. However, perhaps you could allow players to pick and choose from amongst all the styles (maybe at each new level). For example, at level 1 a player chooses something from among the different styles. At level 2 the player chooses from among the different styles again with totally different choices. The choices could be anything such as different units, skills, bonuses (whatever you want the differences to be).

Anyway, it's an interesting idea. I'm sure whatever you do will be pretty fun. If you don't like how it turns out, you can always change it, but taking some time to think things through beforehand might save you a lot of work. Playing the map more might help you decide too. I think it's already great. I haven't played the new version yet, though. BTW you might want to take a discussion like this to the map thread so your fans have a chance to give input.

9. Tleno

Tleno

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    I got a different suggestion. See, when you choose to pick side after final tier (Elves, orcs, ordinary or corsair), so if you pick corsair, you may get some special units and you get 25% less income from selling items in faction cities or your own markets. But, when you destroy an enemy owner structure, you get some amount of gold. Prrtty high one, actually.

10. GolluM_KoMe

GolluM_KoMe

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Nothing is being told in the silmarillion about 1600-1700 T.A btw :). The background of my map is mainly taken from Lindefirion website.

Well, I thought about the Corsair/Bandit idea the whole day and there is what I think is the best, the funniest to play, but also the easiest to make:

-Everyone take heroes at the beggining as usual : 1 change : there are no colored runes anymore. (no distinction between Warrior or Mayor hero anymore)
    -Level 1 is EXACTLY the same.
    -When you reach level 2 you have 3 pathes :
    1. Mayor
      • Bonus of Gold and Wood
      • More income from the taxes (like +35%)
      • New skills/Updates good with town development
      • Greater defence buildings (not sure about this one)
      • Reduction of the price to buy a city from Gondor/Umbar
    2. Warrior
      • Bonus of Weapons and Horses
      • Some Soldiers + a better basic income of weapons (those who come automaticaly)
      • More kind of soldiers
      • Option of plundering a town :get gold (less that a corsair), capture the town, building unusable for X seconds. A town with unusable buildings cannot be plundered
      • Greater siege weapons
    3. Bandit
      • Bonus of Gold and Weapon
      • Some Ships
      • A whole new gameplay
      • Have to choose between 'Corsairs' and ' Goblins' (not sure for the gobs but it would be fun to have orcish units sooner)
    The warrior/mayor still choose between Khand/Gondor/Umbar warfares; almost nothing change for them :).

Well now, the Bandit (Let's say that for now, there are no Goblins, only corsairs)

Buildings:
    • The buildings for the resources remain the same.
    • You keep the old manufactures (like Bakery) but you also get new ones that don't work everytime like the others. They're here to make specific items/stuff that need resources in your stock. (like a Brewery :)
    • You don't have anymore : Library//Town Square//Manors//Mason's Guild (an alternative building with other improvement available; still building regen; no engineers anymore)//Prefecture//Elite Barrack//Statues//Mage academies//Markets
    • New buildings : New Workshops I still have to find (by thinking about the options the bandit has)//New structures they can build on the map area (still have to think about it too)//A Black Market//Some other vicious stuff :)
    • The town hall would be reviewed entirely (the model/the skills) unless if I cannot find good models for them.
    • The model of the houses will also be changed (maybe night elven ones, dunno yet :)
    Warfare
    • Totally new warfare with new towers/barracks etc...
    • Bad siege weapons/heavy units
    • Great ships/sneaky units
    • New Inn system with more units
    Gameplay
    • The corsair earns a bit less taxes than the others.
    • The corsair buildings provide 2 times less jobs and no $$$ jobs (no $$$ inhabitants either)
    • Many options (I have to think alot about this point) to get money on other players (like traps for packsaddle horses etc) but also on Factions that will now have trading units and ships that can be attacked.
    • The possibility to set up 1 or 2 colonies (according to the number of Corsair players) on the map, at specific spots, with maybe new kind of resources, where you can make defences, hire basic soldiers AND send to your town (instantly) your booty. There are 2 of these spots on Islands btw :)
    • You can of course player cities: you still destroy them and make the player loose :)
    • Attacks on Faction Cities :
      • You plunder the town but don't control it
      • You leave behind you a kind of mafia which will grow in time 'til a point, according the the population of the city.
      • You have an invincible unit which shows toward the other players you do control the black business of this town. This unit (maybe a building) also allows you to create new units, according to the region of the town (some new but mostly already existing units). The mana of this unit shows the amount of gold this town makes you earn each 3min (counted in the tax)
      • When a city is plundered, its building don't work for 10/15 min. A plundered cannot be attack by corsair player for 30 min. A town "controlled" by a bandit cannot be attack by him.
      • A town seized/plundered by a player removes the mafia and replace it if the attacker was a bandit UNLESS the town buildings still don't work. I still don't know what to do if it's a faction.
    • The corsair player has a kind of renown; When he reaches a certain amount of this (based on the number of town you have a mafia in and some gold you can send) you can become a Corsair King: you get a third hero from a new list of 8 corsair heroes. (btw at level 3 you still get a second hero according to your town).
    • For the victory conditions: the same about the gold and resources; nomber of colonies+1 (town with mafia); 2 times less with the population;
    • The Corsairs are always at war with the factions and cannot ally a player (but still can declare war ofc ^^).
    • You sell your goods in your Black Market you get when you become Corsair. You sell it at the average price in Middle Earth (of the specific sold resource). Then the price of this resource is decreased two times more in the faction it's the more expensive. By exemple you sell 3 grain and the price of it in Gondor is 30, in Umbar 27 and Khand 31, you will sell it 29*3 Gold and the price of grain in Khand will be reduced by 6% instead of 3%.

Please tell me what you think about it before I start working on this xD. Thanks for reading the whole scary stuff :)
    Btw I don't think goblin option is a good idea.

Last edited: May 16, 2011