• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Lord of the Rings - Name not yet known

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Hello mappers.
My map is still in early stage, but the main reason I am posting this is the terrain.
Me and my team have tried to copy the actual LOTR terrain by the official maps and I think we quite succeded. Before taking the map further in development, I'd like to push terrain to perfection.
That's why I'd like some opinions about terrain improvement and also some critics about it. I think this is also the only map which actually triest to copy the original by-the-book terrain of LOTR.

Map name:
LOTR - ?

Name of the creator:
cen (aka klemen), mezhu

Current stage of the map:
Terraining and unit customisation

Summary of the map gameplay/objectives:
It will be a 5v5 map (6v6 with one comp per side), Gondor vs Mordor forces. Each player will have a specific role in the alliance and a specific unit customisation.
Each player will manipulate his base and barracks with appropriate units. Buildings will be deployable (you can move them anywhere you want by transforming them into a wagon and redeploying somewhere else).
Gold income will be periodical, additional gold comes from owner of gold mine. Map has a uniqe gate system.

At partly randomised time of the gameplay, a true story events will appear (ex: massive attack on Minas Tirith, arrival of Rohan forces, arrival of Ghosts and Aragorn, etc..). This will make the map much more interesting, including cinematics.

Miscellaneous Info (credits?):
Credits to the creator of Tirith Walls (will be added inside the map ofc, I don't have time to check who is it now..).

Map attached. Unprotected and freely viewable. It can be tested, but there is 0 gameplay atm, just viewing the terrain and move the units around.

Attachments

• warofthering-terrain3.w3x
    579.3 KB · Views: 74
I'll check.

Check: Ok, the terrain? I'm sorry to say I didn't like it. All it seems to look like to me is grass, rock, desert and some lush grass elven areas.

Recommendations: Mix more tiles and also don't make most of middle earth look dry and deserty. Thats NOT the middle earth I know. Maybe make gondor and rohan a little more grassy (without trying to make it look elfy) because what it looks like right now is boring and un-middle earthish and also insert some more doodads and critters around the map as well as trees. Also, this is prolly out of subject, but I recommend removing the ground texture from the levers as well as reducing their size.

Also: Do not green whole entire map just green rohan and gondor.

Last edited:
Level 8
+Greener map
+All parts covered with tile patterns or doodads (including Mordor)

I'll place some animals in the forest also (deers etc).

Attachments

• warofthering-terrain3.w3x
    644.2 KB · Views: 98
Status
Not open for further replies.