1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[vJASS] Looking for tips: Cinematic System

Discussion in 'Triggers & Scripts' started by Sephalo, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Sephalo

Sephalo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hey there,

I was wondering if some people would like to share their opinions on what kind of a cinematic system I might need.

I'm making a turn based map, so units never cast spells at the same time. Because of this I want to code some camera movement + unit animations + special effects to happen whenever a unit casts a spell. During this time the unit will be paused, but the UI won't go into cinematic mode.
    (So Camera functions, Unit animations and special effects have to be able to put into a certain order, while adding other functions like setting variables and dealing damage also has to happen at specific times.)

What would be a good system to support me in doing this?
    The only system I could find was Anitarf's Cinematic System from back in 2006, but have betters been released ever since?

2. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    To be honest, I don't think there is such a system out there.

As I understand it, it's quite simple though.
    Unit casts spell
    enter cinematic mode
    disable unit control
    do stuff depending on spell
    end cinematic mode after X seconds
    enable unit control

is that correct?

3. Sephalo

Sephalo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Basically:
    - Unit Casts Spell
    - Disable unit control (but don't start cinematic mode)
    - Force camera stuff for all players, like camera point changing from Camera Object X to Object Y over time.
    - During the camera movement do spell stuff (a very important part of that is special effects and unit animations that are timed in a good way. Maybe even changing unit animation speed and stuff like that)
    - Go back to the normal camera mode and enable unit control again.

Let's say I use Breath of Fire on this. Then a unit casts a dummy spell that has no target. After that he will be paused and face towards an enemy over X seconds. During this time the camera zooms in on the unit and starts to turn 180 degrees. After the X seconds he will play his Spell Slam animation while at the same time a Fire Breath special effect pops up. Units hit by the fire breath (so after maybe 0.4 seconds of the animation) will take damage which needs to be coded with certain variables. After the animation is done the camera will possibly be done with turning 180 degrees and the camera will go back to the normal game view while the unit will be unpaused.

4. iNfraNe

iNfraNe

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    There's a newer version of Anitarf's system (which I wouldn't call an update as much as it is a total new system which is way more modular)

http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=110341

it is a bit complicated, but very powerful.

5. Sephalo

Sephalo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Cool! Didn't see that one.
    Going to check it out!

6. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    To me, the easiest way to do this would be using a combination of TimerUtils and a unit indexer (such as AutoDex). Basically, you have a set of functions which does stuff like turning a unit, dealing damage to a target, etc. When the cinematic starts, you start a set of timers, and attach the unit ID (from the indexer) to the timer (using NewTimerEx from TimerUtils). Once the timer expires, the function can load the unit using:
    Code (vJASS):

local unit u = GetUnitById(GetTimerData(GetExpiredTimer()))  //after which you release the timer.

Now, if you want to attach multiple units to a timer, you can use a struct instead of a unit id. Actually, you can base the whole system around a struct and just use different "event ids" for the different types of actions you want to apply. This is a VERY sketchy version of what you might do:

Code (vJASS):

globals
        private constant integer EVENT_TYPE_FACING = 1
        private constant integer EVENT_TYPE_DAMAGE = 2
        private constant integer EVENT_TYPE_ANIM = 3
    endglobals

struct CineEvent
        unit caster
        unit target
        real duration
        string txt
        //....etc for all the variables you might need to transfer
        integer eventtype

static method expire takes nothing returns nothing
            local thistype this = GetTimerData(GetExpiredTimer())

if this == 0 then //Check if struct is valid
                return
            endif

if .eventtype = EVENT_TYPE_FACING then
                call SetUnitFacingToFaceUnitTimed(.caster, .target, .duration) //Sorry for BJ
            elseif .eventtype = EVENT_TYPE_DAMAGE then
                call UnitDamageTarget(.caster, .target, etc...)
            elseif .eventtype = EVENT_TYPE_ANIM then
                call SetUnitAnimation(.caster, .txt)
            endif

call .destroy()
            call ReleaseTimer(GetExpiredTimer())
        endmethod

static method create takes unit caster, unit target, integer eventtype, real timeout returns thistype
            local thistype this = thistype.allocate()

set .target = target
            set .caster = caster
            set .eventtype = eventtype

call TimerStart(NewTimerEx(this), timeout, false, function thistype.expire)

return this    
        endmethod
    endstruct

If you end up with an awful lot of parameters for the constructor, you might want to simplify it and instead run the timer in a separate method, kinda like this:

Code (vJASS):

static method create takes nothing returns thistype
        local thistype this = thistype.allocate()

return this
    endmethod

method run takes real timeout returns nothing
        call TimerStart(NewTimerEx(this), timeout, false, function thistype.expire)
        //You might need some kind of check to make sure that all necessary values are filled (such as caster).
    endmethod

//Then you can run an event like this:
    function TestFunction takes unit whichunit returns nothing
        local CineEvent MyEvent = CineEvent.create()
        set MyEvent.eventtype = EVENT_TYPE_ANIM
        set MyEvent.txt = "Stand - 1"
        set MyEvent.caster = whichunit
        //And then run it:
        call MyEvent.run(10.)
    endfunction