• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Looking for advices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Hello,

I need some tips to improve my terraining. I know the basics and can do some decent melee maps. However, when I have to make an Undead base camp, I stuck.

I was not able to find any tuto' to make it.

Basically, it's an Undead base inside a forest (Summer Lordaeron). No building, no farms, it removes a lot of possibilities thus. Apart from dead corpses, I don't know how to fill it.

So, if you have threads or even maps I could take inspiration from, or just advices, I would glady take them.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Does it have to be a base or just a place filled with wandering dead, since you wrote no buildings, not even doodad ones?

Think of what undead can do to the surroundings. Is this a Warcraft universe related project?
Do you think there needs to be blight there for some reason? Is the Scourge plague involved?
Any ruins there? What have you imagined the place to look like before any undead got there?
Any cemeteries, or places for the dead to be burrowed?
What type of forest is it? IS it a place usually traversed by people or just wild life? Is it in the mountains, on a field, tropics? What kind of weather is there?
Any swamp or lakes or rivers?
Depends on what undead you want to use. Dead raised animals? Any zombies/rotten corpses or just skeletons?
When does the player experience the place, at night, during which season? Are the forests burning at that time?

You might just make undead be there without any specific landscape change. Just for some reason, which the player will find out, they are there.
You should give more details of what the map is about so we can link things to the undead forest.

Level 6
How did they get to the forest?
Some Air Barges could imply one way of the undead invading the forest. While a giant hole in the ground along with fallen trees around it could imply another way.

If you say, that there are no structures in the forest (prior to the undead base, I'm assuming), you could play around with the flora.
For example, the trees grow :) diseased and leafless the closer they are to the center of the base. Something like Ashenvale → Felwood → Northrend Trees respectively. I think it wouldn't hurt to mix up the Lordaeron pine forest a bit.
Also, mushrooms may actually like the new blight-mycelium thing they've been exposed to. Some scaling and weird coloring might do the trick.

Level 16
Thank you for replying.

More context:
This is between Alterac and the Hinterlands, a forest (Summer Lordaeron) without swamps, nor farms, but some rivers and moutains.
The Undead are pursuing some humans. They are not here since a long time, so everything is not plagued yet.
This takes place during the Third War, so Alliance vs Scourge.

I edited it following your advices :
UndeadPlateau.png

I think it's better in my opinion.
However, I am not an expert at all. So, any thoughts?

I also inspired myself in Tomoraiders' campaign.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Undead demon hunter :D?

Well, didn't you say no bases? Also, that is plague, the blight.
From the looks of it, it's too in the open. If you want to make it more hidden, surround it by trees or something. Of course, I guess you have to be careful with pathing if it's a melee oriented map.

Status
Not open for further replies.