• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

LLS v0.22b beta

Lights Last Stand

Created by xenOChe
Map Status: Beta Testing

Lights Last Stand is a hero based defence map where you play the role of a hero defending the Gaian Heart from the evil horde, who wants to snuff out its light and anyone who stands in thier way.

Map features
- 24 heroes currently with a range of customized abilities inwhich to defeat the agressors.
- 109 items ranging from the lowly 'Ordinary' to the powerful Ultimus item class inwhich to aid your hero in battle.
- 9 Levels, each consisting of 5 waves, swarm, ranged, special, heavy and a full assault wave, consisting of a mix of the first 4 waves finishing with the spawning of the levels boss.
- Gold vault that allows you to gain interest on stored gold.
- Achievements that reward the players for achieving specific goals
- Demonic Events that trigger when gaian energy (displayed as lumber) is depleted and increase in severity as the game progresses.
- When the defending players perform poorly gaian energy is reduced faster increasing the frequency of demonic events

Any and all ideas for heroes, items, events, or anything you feel would make it better would be appreciated. If your feeling especially enthused you could post a replay of a game you had that I could analyze to help iron out bugs and tweak map balance (or to compare scores :cool:).

Thanks to psn_KINGSLVRD42, moleman, Ayraclus, Scribbles, Chrexis, billy4, equal., mkubasa and vlad770 for alpha and beta testing.

Thanks to the following wc3 mod makers for there much appreciated efforts:

Tranquil: Carpet model, Lightning effect, Window model, Lighting effects, snipe target effect.
SantoRayo[iP]: Gem model
Carrington2k: Black Hole model
!!GORO!!: Bag model
Dionesiist: Demon hunter skin
Krysis: Boots of Medivh
0123456789: Goblin boots
Kallimachos: Allure icon
rednek: Castle cliff tile
tomv8: Meteorite
WILLTHEALMIGHTY: Explosion Effects
Daelin: Mana tap, Ignis, Frozen shell and Cold auras, Pedistal models
JetFangInferno: Blood, Holy bomb and Enchantment effects
levigeorge1617: Shock Aura
EdwardSwolenToe: Eye of Saregas missile
Dan van Ohllus: Love buff
Ergius: Gold Ore model
EvilCryptLord: Infernal machine missile
Illidan(Evil)X: Ion beam model
anarchianbedlam: Plasma mortar effect
BlackDoom: Medalion Icon
AkolytOr: Ring Icon
frEAk49: Shimmer Orb Icon
IIILSDIII: Tome Icon
Mc!: Wand Icon
CRAZYRUSSIAN: Light armor and helm Icons

Any ideas, suggestions, head over to the LLS development thread.
> Lights Last Stand Development Thread < Map Status: Beta Testing

v.22b changelog
-Fixed guide texts.
-Added another tier in demonic construction.
-Many abilities tweaked /balanced.
-Fixed a problem where creeps would always spawn from the same side.
-Tomes no longer share cooldown.
-Balanced mana costs of all hero abilities.
-Buffed the demonic summon, Soul Reaper.
-Made the enemy forces red for ease of minimap usage.
-Demonic buildings are know pinged, so you always know where they are.
-Difficulty now effects the death penelty severity.
-Removed annoying pauses on channel based skills.
-Bank is now much easier to access (press Esc, press again to reselect your hero).
-Heroes are now invulnerable for 5 seconds upon resurrection.
-Level cap increased to 30.

Keywords:
defence, castle, heroes, demons
Contents

LLS v0.22b beta (Map)

Reviews
00:17, 28th Mar 2009 by bounty hunter2: This isn't a full review, since we didn't put this map on a testing session. However I'm sure we will in the future, and you will get more reviews. This one is only for the cause of approval. My apologies...
Level 5
I totally agree with these points. Having a function to auto-deposit any money you gain from killing enemies would be very helpful. As would the ability to have your own bank so that you can hotkey him.

The colour scheme might need some rethinking. The items are just invisible in their brown bags on the brown floor. And the brown coloured message that tells us which direction the waves are coming from is also quite invisible because of this. Also, the enemies are also invisible on the minimap unless you activate allied colours (which then they turn red).

Another really frustrating thing is the slippery slope from dying. When someone dies, 1) Hero takes time to revive while creep waves continue to spawn 2) Lumber is reduced 3) Nearby creeps get stronger 4) Creeps surround the spawning area 5) Achievement bonus is lost 6) Heroes respawn with little mana. That's just too many penalties from dying, making it really frustrating when someone dies.

The fog of war for some of the areas sometimes tend to cover the demonic buildings, and if you miss the minimap ping or forget where the location is then we don't know which of two lanes it is on, which is again annoying. And if we forget about them entirely... can be more player-friendly by revealing those areas which the buildings can spawn.

And not sure if you had saw my earlier post - I mentioned the Golem's Imbaness and the level 9 phoenixes which instagib heroes. But that's on 0.21 of course.

Auto-bank is going to be added next version.
I'll make creeps red, so they can be seen on the mini map.
In the next version the difference between difficulty modes will modify death penalties from easy (less severe than it is now), normal (how it is now) and hard (more sever than it is now).
I'll add a periodic ping on altars every 20 seconds, so you know where they are.
Golem has been nerfed alot since he was added, so I'll leave him for now since I should be more concerned with heroes that need a dramatic increase in power level (for example, the Dreanei Stalker).

Thanks for the feedback (even if its a bit dated), its still very helpful.

Level 4
the draenei stalker is pretty sick with his very fast attack speed from the start. fix his throwing star skill and he'll be fine, oh and there's a tooltip error on his crit+dodge skill, it says 60% crit instead of 30% at the highest lvl.

Giving ATLEAST 1 scaling aoe skill to every hero would be nice, improving the class skills for: caster, fighter, ranger would also be nice single target dmg is pretty bad and boring imo and regen is the only class skill that doesn't scale and its boring.

EDIT: Some skills that are bad and should scale

Warstomp: good skill but make it scale

Tsunami: way to good at the start should probably do about 3 x your int in dmg
hotshot: it should scale

Spiketrap: should scale and have larger aoe

Brutality: useless, passive skills are mostly boring maybe change it to a proc when you're getting hit to heal you for % of hp or 1-2 x your str

Icey Bane: love the ide of this skill but it should scale
Earthen Bolt: useless but its the only bad skill on a really good hero, 1 x your int and make it aoe

Last edited:
Level 2
Hey again, thanks for the great new version..

Here's some typos that i picked up at the beginning,
1. Something about "god" items to begin with, should probably spell "good"
2. Gold merchant should probably be gold vault

Love that you removed the Troll Berserker and replaced it, the new hero is a lot of fun..

Just wondering if there's a chance you could add some kind of skip command to save some time before the game begins and between levels when i'm only saving up gold anyway?

As always, great map..haven't played it with my friends yet, but it's gonna happen sooner or later..

Level 5
Hey again, thanks for the great new version..

Here's some typos that i picked up at the beginning,
1. Something about "god" items to begin with, should probably spell "good"
2. Gold merchant should probably be gold vault

Love that you removed the Troll Berserker and replaced it, the new hero is a lot of fun..

Just wondering if there's a chance you could add some kind of skip command to save some time before the game begins and between levels when i'm only saving up gold anyway?

As always, great map..haven't played it with my friends yet, but it's gonna happen sooner or later..

Yeah i noticed the typos just after uploading, lol, I hate when that happens.
I could definatly add a skip command, I'll add it before uplaoding the new version (should be this afternoon if all goes well).

Level 5
After the last update LLS has had over 200 downloads, yet no more comments? :confused:

Please people, if you play it, even once, leave a comment. It will help me make LLS better and as balanced as humanly possible.

xen.

Level 1
Hey don't be sad, I think that's a great update if not there's many comment that scream for the bug / unbalance.
By the way they can download but not play right away ( just like me - I got only weekend to play ).
Don't be haste, I'll comment right after I played it.

Level 5
Hey sry havent played in awhile but did you ever fix a bug with the tauren chieftain (cant remember the damn name) his Pyro Axe mastery seemed to trigger off when he acquired a target rather than attacking a target =/

Oh, thanks alot, I completely forgot about that issue, I've got alot of things going in the new map (usually I'm so good at keeping notes aswell).

Level 11
Oh, thanks alot, I completely forgot about that issue, I've got alot of things going in the new map (usually I'm so good at keeping notes aswell).

Lol np, and ya the bugs still there, kinda annoying cause it would be nice to use it effectively, rather than soon as u get it stacked to try and kill one thing it hits the first target he aquires ><

Btw why did you make it so the fountains now spawn twice in one round lol

Level 11
Level 3 boss is hard. I did solo and I doubt you can beat the game solo eventhough it's one of recommended amount of players. Need better items. Ones you got are great but I mean like maybe higher level shops stronger gear.

Level 5
Sgt. Johnson
Demon structures now have 3 tiers, Fountains, Altars and portals.
Fountains are 50% less effective in comparison to the old altars, so I decided to create two spawn times per level. Because they are weaker and reduce gain energy by such a lesser degree the double spawn isn't to bad (well, of the tests I've conducted, doesn't pose to much of a problem).

Rakdos,Defiler
Solo is recommended to show that it is scaled, but, solo is always going to be tough because its difficult to manage LLS's multitude of threats with a single unit of damage potential (ie, your 1 hero), I am going to add the ability in solo play to choose a second hero, increasing options for solo play and the ability to better handle otherwise impossible odds.

Super-Sheep
Creep numbers per level is static, and doesn't increase, or decrease with the exception of one time summon effects caused by demonic events (Heavy summon, Demonic Portal, Great Summons and Call of the void).

If you could post up that replay so I could see for myself the conditions that caused such a bug, that would be great and could save me some greif because I'm yet to observe a spawn problem. Obviously I would want to fix such an issue ASAP.

Level 11
Ok cool, I like solo play more than with others sometimes cause people can ruin it.
Also untill you do add that feature, what hero would you suggest to solo with.
I used the fel blademaster model, the fighter and made it to round 3 and had like best items.

Level 5
Creeps spawn from all sides 8 player, but the full assault waves of the higher levels has the same creep numbers as the lower levels.
Could it be that your heroes couldn't kill the creeps fast enough, so they stacked up?
If that is the case then a demonic mechanic I was thinking of should be implemented next version.
The mechanic is: When creep numbers exceed 200, 100 are sacrificed, spawning a Greater Demon at one of the sacrificed units locations.

What do you guys think?

Level 2
The mechanic is: When creep numbers exceed 200, 100 are sacrificed, spawning a Greater Demon at one of the sacrificed units locations.

What do you guys think?

that would be much more trouble for the Player .. cuz they got clear the waves fast the fight the Boss alone .. if they are now too slow another strong creep will be a pain in the ass .. ( actually its good and bad ^^ )

My Review : I love playing this Map .. but there are few things i dont like and some "bugs"

1. Some Heros at the Selection have wrong stats cuz they are already lvl 10 .. fix that pls

2. Viperstate .. if the at artillery fires and you are in viperstate you gonne port yourself somewhere far away .. that sucks ..

3. The Rangers .. i think this Heroclass is Useless³ .. played a ranger serval times but they are too weak and no fun to play

4.Items .. you should add some better Weapons .. there are not enough i think .. (maybe some splashitems ? ) ( or Multishot for Rangers? like +1 Target or +2 )

5. Some Spells dont work right .. like the Shuriken from the Draenei .. most of the time it hits only 1 target .. and the Splashthing from the MK Ulti .. the "splash" not works right ..

6. Could you make Shrines that are not in "use" invurn ? cuz sometimes players run around and the boss starts attacking the nearest shrine .. that sucks sometimes .. also making the Shrines ( and the Heart ) invurn. if the Guardians are Summond? like for 5 secs or something ..

ya hope that helped you in someway ^^ .. i love you map and i play it everyday ^^ .. keep up the good work :D

Level 3
hey rakdos i survived untill the begining of round 5 i think i twas or late four witht e blademaster fighter character there are really powerful items on the sides you just have to utilise the teleport base skill to get around to get everything and i didn't bank when i did that

Level 11
I still have to admit that the map is pretty damn difficult, I noticed that you turned the Normal difficulty into Easy, however last few times I've played i swear its harder than it was before =/

You really should tone it down so easy is actually beatable, then make insane or w/e kinda how it is now, cept maybe a little harder.

Me and my friend tried your insane difficulty a few versions back btw.. we both think you should change the name to impossible :p, what did you do make the exp rate really slow on insane? Because i swear we didn't hit lvl 2 till the assault wave of lvl 1.

Level 1
Tried the map.
1. Esc for gold vault very useful, but I used to press esc then f1 rather than esc - esc.
2. Invunerable after spawning still work fine.
Didn't find any new bug yet, hope it still work fine :D

Level 5
I played this map last night with some friends and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Heres some things I'd like to point out about the map.. overall, keep up the good work :thumbs_up:

Just a note before I continue - I played this with a total of 3 players on a easy setting. I believe we got to round 6 or so before losing. [The one with the red dragon boss]

I really like the environment. Everything seems to fit very well with the setting. I like the layout of the "castle". Really nice job on the terrain, too.

One thing that new players might have trouble with, is that, the game is very fast paced, when it comes to amount of time between waves/the end of a round. They may not have time to look around the base and see that there are more advanced shops. Even when they do find them, you don't get much time to read the descriptions on the items, because you'll be swarmed with a new wave of creeps soon. I'm not sure what to suggest. Maybe a longer cooldown time for players in between rounds would be good. Though players may lose a bit of the fast paced feeling to the game, I think it would be important to have more time to catch your breath.

I like that you don't [from what I saw] have item recipes. This was a good move, in my opinion. There are plenty of items [variety wise] for players to choose from, and its without the annoyance of trying to find where to Buy X and Y item to form item Z. You really don't have the time to go around collecting this stuff.

The Heroes are pretty cool as well. Though for some classes their abilities are a bit lackluster. The tanks have some ability that looks like roar [though it has different mechanics.] and it doesn't seem to do much damage wise. Also, at least two tanks have this same spell. [The golem looking thing and the iron breaker] You may want to spice this up and make the heroes a bit more unique.

One thing I did notice during later rounds is that incoming mobs would pause for a bit, and continue walking. I forget which rounds this occurred, but the game seemed to lose its fluidity. I never encountered any frame rate issues, I'm not sure what to say about this, or why it happened.

Suggestions for future versions:

It would be really cool, in my humble opinion, if you could buy upgrades to the base. Perhaps not owned by a player. These things could be -
-Increased health on shrines.
-A worker owned by the computer that goes around and repairs the shrines
-A Spawn [not permanent] of Defender Creeps at a lane of your choice
-ect.. ect..

These are just some of my suggestions. I'm still a wee bit tired [still waking up] I found the game very challenging on easy [at later rounds, beginning rounds were fine], but it was a challenge rate that I enjoyed. However, I could never imagine playing it with less than a full house on anything above easy difficulty. Overall, keep up the great work. This is a very enjoyable Hero Defense, and it has tons of potential to become even better.

Rating: 4/5

Level 1
@ urgan : the roar spell it's like a class spell.Every hero in the same class has 1 same spell.
By the opinion of urgan, i think the map should have a customize time between level system like : you have about a maximum amount of time ( 90sec should do well ) then if you done all you stuff, can have a command like -nextlevel to skip the time.

Level 1
Huh! Al last , me and my friend defeated the last boss in easy mode.Me ( gorganite ) and my friend ( alice ) work quite well, losing only 2 shrines. He bought a lot of agility book while I bought almost potions and potions.

I think you should make a result table at the end of the game, make some score ( depend on time to defeat and heroes dead, etc. ) add some code to counter fake score.

Of course load the game make some text became white :| .

Level 3
Hi

I'm like your map, very interested , but I think hero "mortal team"(I've forgotten his names =.=) in Caster Group isn't balance , his skill takes very long time to cast , even it almost kill only 1 monster when there is too many of them .I think you should make his skill cast more rapidly .
P/s :I have a problem with his ultimate too , the bomb is destroyed before I can blow them ,is it just me or if not ,I suggest you may it's invisible.
Btw, your map is very good , I have fun playing it with my friends .I looking forward for the next upgrade :D:grin:

Level 3
hey played this a few times by myself again just to see if if could get any farther and i was able to fight my way through to the fourth wave boss again with the crit whore warden

still enjoyable
-herro

Level 1
My friends and I have played the map on our last two LANs and still not completed it. We realy love the map and I hope there will be a new version soon. =)
So keep it up it's a real good work you've done so far.

Level 4
the perserverance talent is really bad imo 500 hp sucks+passive is pretty boring, lady of the lake should have a scaling damaging spell pretty boring to just go all out white dmg.

Queen of knives got the wrong tooltip when you picked the crit talent,
Overall i think you should give every hero a scaling ability and try to change it so that some heroes just doesn't stand and use white damage and instead use some spells to make it more fun =)

REALLY excited about the next version! :D

Level 1
I've played the map with 8 players, about 15 times. Must say everything is great, working and so on as in previous replies.

The minus - There was a Tower/Hero defence I played long time ago where you could change spawn interval by typing a simple command -fast -slow ect. I think it would be awesome in LLS. Because now, between levels you have time to run, max. to 2 shops check prices and run back to defend. Especially if we consider 8 ppl game atleast 50% noobs.

Please add that or similar option into the game.

Level 3
sadly i never have time to play this anymore i must find a host again

cuz im getting tired of bieng stomped by some of the bosses when i forget a potion thats critical to my living

Level 3
after approx. 1 year, i played it.

i got hooked instantly.
why?

cause i can't spend that ridiculously large amount of money when i lost. :mad:

stupid greed... D:<

-on a side note to cbx:-
hey, you choose the same hero as me too! great minds think alike. :B

Level 2
So, I played this map a few times alone, and it's still really good and interesting to play.
Though I met some things, which gave me a hard time.
wave 2/2 - that stacking dot is really strong when focused on 1 target, quite hard to survive even as tank with amplio armor.
random things later (don't know which waves):
-polymorphing and rooting creeps are very strong unless you have the 2s spellshield, they can disable you for enough time for the next wave to arrive, or get you dead at mixed waves quickly
-chimeraes have some Searing Arrows ability? Because I had a such monologue: -hah, they have only 150 attack damage, I can easily facetank them with my 60+ armor- *gets shot by the entire wave once, reduced to 30% HP* -oops, won't go so easily-
-damage return affects everything, not just autoattacks, which makes AoE casters useless for those waves, because they die after casting a few spells
-manaburning zeppelins burn 500 mana in one spellcast, practically silencing me whenever they appeared as long they were alive

I noticed that the HP of creeps scales with the amount of players, but their spells (especially disable CDs and durations) do not, which makes the game really hard to solo. When trying to solo, I can't really play other than tank or captain, because I need much STR to survive, and also items have to be built in a strict order to survive (armor for the first wave, spellshield for the first caster wave, shimmer orb for the chimerae wave).

The game is good to play, but there are some flaws that make it sometimes annoying. I hope you still find the map worthy for some work, so we can enjoy it longer!