• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Life in Lordaeron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Every day, I'm working very hard to improve my level, Life in Lordaeron.
Unfortunatly, the unawareness of many bugs and problems in my map obstruct my progress.

I need someone with a neutral opinion to guide me in the right direction.

Level 3
A neutral opinion towards my map.

What I mean to say it: Subjective comments are not very helpful.

Level 22
Well I`ve always given you my suggestions. The biggest being a sort of incentive for players not to mass against eachother in the first five minutes, and to weaken the armies of the Defenders and especially the Bandits. Because every game I`ve played on it yet, that was what happened, and entire players would be defeated in the first few minutes and never get around to doing the side jobs. You said the bandits cant raid the city right away, but the roads leading straight into town say they can.

In short, the map is a five minute battle royale, not a LoaP varient.

I would also recoomend some sort of spawn trigger for the citizens so even after the undead and bandits roll though and slaughter everyone for the gold, there would still be citizens roaming around later on in the game.

And I don`t know if you fixed this in the new version or not, but in 1.06 the outcome of the horse race was always the same. I would say use random spawn locations at the starting line to help create a sense of unknown potential outcomes. That, and sometimes the player horse would just randomly die.
-VGsatomi

Level 3
Ah, that, VGsatomi, is the example for a very helpful post I was looking for. Thank you.

VGsatomi said:
Well I`ve always given you my suggestions. The biggest being a sort of incentive for players not to mass against eachother in the first five minutes, and to weaken the armies of the Defenders and especially the Bandits. Because every game I`ve played on it yet, that was what happened, and entire players would be defeated in the first few minutes and never get around to doing the side jobs.

The fugitives from Lordaeron are never actually defeated. They are revived after 30 seconds. I suppose I should display a message whenever a hero dies.

Were major forces such as the Undead Scourge defeated from the start as well?

You said the bandits cant raid the city right away, but the roads leading straight into town say they can.

I said "The bandits should not be able to ravage the city while the City's Defenses are trying to defend the gate", which meant: "The bandits must not be able to ravage the city while the City's Defenses are trying to defend the gate". Most probably, I expressed myself wrong, which caused you to misinterpret this.

I would also recoomend some sort of spawn trigger for the citizens so even after the undead and bandits roll though and slaughter everyone for the gold, there would still be citizens roaming around later on in the game.

I made a trigger which revives citizens long ago. Perhaps it's incorrect.

And I don`t know if you fixed this in the new version or not, but in 1.06 the outcome of the horse race was always the same. I would say use random spawn locations at the starting line to help create a sense of unknown potential outcomes. That, and sometimes the player horse would just randomly die.

The horses are supposed to die randomly; This makes the horse race more exciting.
They don't die, but they fall by accident.

I'll make a trigger which makes the horse riders speed up at times randomly.

Thank you very much for your issues.

Level 22
About the massing, I was mainly referring to the undead and the bandits. When they have their bases destoyed, which is always what heppens. (fugatives always team up with the defenders since they are allies at the start) they are pretty much finished. I know the fujatives can respawn, but once the merc camp and undead bldg's are gone, there is nothing left for those players to do but quit.

I say keep the guards at the gate, keep the sentry's that are positioned around the map (i.e. the bank) but lower the number of defenders in the defender's base and cut the bandit's starting units near the merc camp by half.

Just because the bandit's should'nt ravage the city at the start doesnt mean they don't. I'd recommend adding a in-game physical incentive for them not to.
-VGsatomi

Level 3
After three months of incredibly hard work, I still feel not satisfied about my map at all; My map has many insufficiencies.

It has, for example, no story-line.

I need someone to give me helpful, bright suggestions… Please guide me in the right direction.

Also, does anyone have ideas for jobs?

Level 22
Hmmm....kind of diffu\icult considering most people don`t take on making a map if that scale without first having a plot/stroyline already worked out in their head. it might be too late for it, unless you are ready for some serious triggerwork. Adding extra cinimatics and quests that follow along a story could be one thing, but quests intermingled with the explanation ``quests`` already in the quest section could look pretty odd. One thing to make things really interesting is to make different quests/stroylines for the different factions (players/undead/bandits) to give each of the someting to do that ultimatly tie together in one stroyline which could also be a good way to give the incentive for players not to kill eachother in the first few mins like I mentioned before.

As for the storyline, since the map is already based on the existing warcraft storyline, maybe you can make a continuation of what was going on in lordaeron after Sylvannas took over or something...y`know, the players trying to take down or defend against her empire or something of the such? Could be interesting.
-VGsatomi

Level 3
The Standard World Editor is to austere and crude to create quests in multi-player maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.