Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Let's make a map! (Forum Game idea)

Discussion in 'Idea Factory' started by xXAgeofComedyXx, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Directive255

Directive255

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I had an idea about a hero, he's some sort of cowboy-ish Rifleman (looks like the Sharpshooter in Rise of Civilizations map), but I couldn't find the model here...

2. Knight of Arsford

Knight of Arsford

Resources:
    Resources:
    Bumping the thread.

3. Directive255

Directive255

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Should I just stick to the default Rifleman, use the Rifleman Elite model available here or find the Villager RIfleman model?

4. Knight of Arsford

Knight of Arsford

Resources:
    Resources:
    I say go for the Rifleman or the Elite, since I can't find that model too.

5. QuillQuickcard

QuillQuickcard

Resources:
    Resources:
    I say the important part of this map is just to make whatever it is you think can fit into it. If you can look at something and go, "yeah, that could probably be jack in an outfit or costume," then it's all good. Hell, my grim jester is just a damn satyr.

6. QuillQuickcard

QuillQuickcard

Resources:
    Resources:
    I decided to do some testing and bug fixing on the map.

I am happy to present Jack's Adventure version 1.3.

Updates:

Fixed an area of the Spider Caverns which was previously inaccessible due to terrain.

Fixed an issue regarding the dropping of the Icon of Respite in the final area.

Fixed a bug that could occur upon beginning the Library cinematic.

A graphic effect now appears when the Totemic gains and loses the Vengeance Aura from the Vengeance Totem.

The damage of the Totemic's Flamehunt Totems has been increased. Tooltips have been updated.

The area damage of the Totemic's Vengeance Totem has been increased. Tooltips have been updated.

Truth is no longer damaged by her own Flamestrikes.

The Truth fight no longer glitches if the player dies to tree mobs in between phases.

Fixed an issue where the Final Boss did not reset properly if the player died in the last phase.

To not break up player momentum, Jack is now automatically selected for the player after any teleport in the Warden Halls.

To not break up player momentum, Jack is now automatically selected for the player after the class change.

All classes now correctly begin with 1 point in each of their 3 main skills.

The Rage, Sprint, and Think About Your Life powers of Jack before the class change are now hotkeyed to Q, W, and R respectively. Tooltips have been updated to reflect this change.

Fixed a bug that could cause Jack to attack the Troll/Tuskarr when entering the Snowy Mountain.

The Yellow and Red Spikes in the Spike Maze can no longer be attacked.

Fixed a bug that could cause the introduction room to glitch.

The loot tables have been tweaked somewhat.

The location in the final area that allows the player to drop the Icon of Respite has been fixed to prevent a few bugs.

Made a few minor aesthetic changes to enemies and areas.

I'd also like to get another community map project going.
    I was thinking something simpler. Like cinematic story telling. Idk. What do others thing?

Attached Files:

7. pick-a-chew

pick-a-chew

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Nice one quill!

Although i dropped off WC3 anyway, i also ended up disengaging from this one because too many people added too many different things and it ended up feeling a bit muddled/confusing to me.

I think if there was a new project, it should be able to be played with others (that way we could test it with each other etc.). I did find that with this one, people loved making heroes/abilities so maybe a map that has heroes would be a good idea? I'm not convinced creating a story with multiple people contributing works very well...

A simple hero defense, hero survival? Maybe something like Warchasers? Or hero defenses because their trigger infrastructure is simple?

Could have people who make heroes, make loot, make waves, do the terrain, make various levels etc...

I reckon a map with a small size would be key to making this work

Could also do a mini-game based map

Just ideas :)

8. Acutesharpness

Acutesharpness

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Sounds fun, I can make things happen too, perhaps open a thread, link it to us as a comment from here. This post was made by some guy, may be he can help ;p

9. Directive255

Directive255

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    If I remembered it right, someone here attempted to make a "Hive Workshop"-themed hero defense/AoS/whatever maps involving heroes. Everyone can contribute their heroes (most often idealized (and empowered) self-images, but not too OP) into the map, but they will be balanced.

Perhaps we could restart this idea to our new community map as well

10. QuillQuickcard

QuillQuickcard

Resources:
    Resources:
    Tower Defense or Reverse Tower Defense are also ok. They are relatively easy to make, and many people could contribute unit ideas.

As complexity increases, the number of people who will be willing and able to contribute decreases. The more small, little things people can contribute, the more contributors there will be.

11. pick-a-chew

pick-a-chew

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Tower defenses could work, but balancing them is very tricky, especially if there's multiple editors.

I would therefore suggest that if we want to make something wave-based, we should make wave order randomised and have balancing done dynamically via triggers (e.g. After every wave increase tech level of a research that increases hit points and damage of all creeps). I like it when the map is more random and less predictable... I could easily make a system that calls a random wave each time.

Due to Wc3's dying activity, the new map should scale with number of players too (e.g. Wave 1 spawns 3 creeps per player).

Could always combine a hero defence and a tower defence? (Like the old castle defenses). Give players a couple of pre-existing towers that can be upgraded via a tech tree or some shenanigans?? *shrug* just spewing ideas :p

12. Spellbound

Spellbound

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    You could try something like a PvE AoS. It'll be mostly like a hero defense, but some heroes will be 'commander' types and will take care of the base instead. The randomised waves sounds cool, but you could complement those with computer-controlled heroes that will use abilities and such. They don't get penalised on death since they're expected to be suicidal. This will remove the necessity for making complex AIs, unless someone is up to it.

Just a thought.

13. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    You could also look into StarCraft II. It is apparently more friendly to work cooperatively with thanks to tools like change mergers and the ability to save map files as component files rather than an archive.

A hero tower defence hybrid would be pretty good if you can pull it off properly. Byes Fire TD (or however it was spelt) tried but unfortunately failed badly due to flawed game design and balance.

What is important is that one decides how the gameplay should work from the start instead of trying to hack it together from various TD factions and heroes people are constantly making.

I would suggest possibly having players dedicate towards either TD or HD gameplay. That way you can in theory speed up gameplay a lot (a problem with the mentioned example) by having 2 waves active at once, one in the HD part while the next wave is already going through the TD part. Also make sure that progress made killing units in the TD part transfers to the HD part as well as kill income is shared so that TD players focus on dealing damage rather than killing units and everyone progresses instead of whoever lands the kills.

14. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11

Wurst Reviewer

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    are these disabled vjass scripts trash?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  15. QuillQuickcard

QuillQuickcard

Resources:
    Resources:
    They were for an unintegrated hero that is no longer in the build. They are trash.

16. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11

Wurst Reviewer

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I will do some small updates to clean up trash and fix a couple bugs I found.

17. pick-a-chew

pick-a-chew

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Is StarCraft II's editor still really tricky to use? Tried to use it back during the zerg expac and it was difficult as hell. It wasn't impossible for me to use; but things i could do in WE felt like they took 5x as long in GE.

To my mind, a hero defense/tower defense hybrid would essentially replace the "lives" system commonly found in tower defenses with maybe an area with the heroes? E.g. creeps that survive towers will then engage your heroes, and if your heroes dies, it's game over.

I think bluntly combining a hero defense and tower defense might be complicated (e.g. having to make a large variety of towers and heroes, and having to balance things correctly) and maybe a bit too ambitious, but i think if the tower-side of things is relatively simple, things might be OK.

18. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11

Wurst Reviewer

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    * fixed a bug where a wandering flying unit could trip the trigger that causes the library cinematic (and its side-effects like locked camera) to run

* fixed a bug where it was possible to start the boss 1 fight and get stuck on the wrong side of the demonic gate

* removed all disabled (trash) trigger code for clarity

Attached Files:

19. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Yes and no... It still takes 5 times longer to do some things but other things still take 1/5th of the time or are even possible as opposed to being impossible in WC3. SC2 GUI triggering still feels like using cheats compared with WC3 GUI and is infinitely more productive.

Basic idea is to have the creeps very tough in the TD side so the towers are used to soften them up rather than having to kill all of them. The heroes then do most of the killing, or at least cleaning up the leaks. If you fail badly in the TD side then the creeps might be too strong for the hero side and so overwhelm you and you lose. Towers could exist who's sole purpose is to lower damage of enemies in the hero side. Since players play separately they have to focus on their assigned roles. Since kill loot or progress is shared they do not have to worry that they might not actually be doing much damage to the units as long as they are helping the team.

In case no one chooses hero you can add some basic AI defences and progression as well as lower health accordingly.

20. pick-a-chew

pick-a-chew

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    So sort of what i was getting at then. Shared loot/experience would probably be the best option. Though i imagined perhaps a single lane on which all players built towers (rather than a lane per player?), and the creeps would be obviously overpowered (OR towers underpowered) so that no wave can be completely cleared by the towers. The joys of a hero defense after all is to use your hero to smash stuff.

There are probably a few ways that could be secured, e.g.
    > Make it so some monsters will always leak
    > Monsters become immune when they're pushed below 50% hit points, but become vulnerable again when they reach the heroes
    > An independent group of monsters spawn in the hero area

The game could also be enfo or RvS style and have two sides pitted against each other; i'd tend to say that PvP games are more played than games where everyone is on the same team.

This map concept is probably quite basic and can be drafted up quite easily... though part of me doubts if the concept will be any good? (but would be perfect for contributors who only want to add hero designs).