• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Let's make a map! (Forum Game idea)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Ok then will...
Ok then I added the random room pathing system so every time you start the map the rooms will be visited in random order.
you have to add 4 areas to work with it
room1 leave area -> room2 arrive area
room2 back leave are -> room 1 back arrive area
not much more I'm a bit out of ideas :/

It's a nice job to have that in.

I was thinking for a system for when the base gets invaded based on a counter:

E.g.
Threat Required for Invasion = 1000
Base (with just Town Hall and Blacksmith) generates 100 threat every minute.
7 Minutes Elapse = 700 Threat on the counter
You kill 50 monsters for 300 Threat
Attack wave is spawned
Counter reset to 0.

Maybe after each invasion, the threshold required is increased.

Edit: Did about ~40 mins work. Leo i tried to play through you area; found it too hard! I will play around with your numbers so i can survive the first pack.

@apsyll Is there a way to "force" the random routing system to choose a next path? For testing purposes? e.g. a command where you type something, and the next level becomes what you want.

Satyr Lord (Room 1 Mini-boss)

• Soul Siphon: Drains 300 health from the target over 3 seconds (requires players to use their "D" ability).
  • Fel Shield: Converts all damage taken in 20% healing for 5 seconds (requires players to stop DPS for the duration).
  • Paranoia: Like Faerie Fire; grants vision and reduces armor of the target (mainly there to help the boss/dungeomaster out with finding players)
  • And has Dark Rapture like before

Dungeonmaster has been added to the map very quickly. When the Satyr Lord is spawned, if the dungeon master is Playing AND is a User, the dungeon master gains control of it, else an AI trigger is turned on. Every 3 seconds, the area around the boss is scanned, and the boss will attempt to use Dark Rapture and Soul Siphon on valid targets. Fel Shield and Paranoia are cast by the hardcoded AI.

Attachments

• WarChasers Thing 0.02g.w3x
    199.7 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Level 6
@pick-a-chew:
I will implement it now so...

Sorry for claiming the map so long just wanted to add the asked system to it and load it back up, but forgot about it ;p

add
-setRoom[position] , [room] comand.
swaps the room in [position] with the room position of [room].
example:
-setRoom 1 , 2 swap the position of the room in first position with room2.

Attachments

• WarChasers Thing 0.02h.w3x
    200.7 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Level 13
Well, i believe the bump rule is 3 days... and i'm going to take the map for a bit!

UPDATED

Spent over an hour or so.

• Added a Hero Selection area because we desperately need one. It's very basic and the triggers leak - feel free to brush it up, but i'll neaten/change it in due time.
  • This also broke the Soulstone system (since it used preplaced heroes): Apsyll can you recode it to use heroes that are created after initialization?
  • Reterrained the base; there's now a north "lane" that leads off to the West. This will be a potential spawn point for attacking enemies. To the east of the base is water/lake. This is also a potential spawn point. The south can also work for an attack point.
  • Added a few more buildings:
    • Barracks
    • Shrine
    • Warden's Lodge
    • Market Place
  • So far they do nothing but that will change in the future...

Attachments

• WarChasers Thing 0.02i.w3x
    211.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Level 6
Finished for now:
-fixed the soulstone system
-Add 2 Items
Empty bottle; can be used to trigger an event.
Filled bottle; gives the hero vision for ghosts for a short time.
-Add a new enemy
Satyr a magical powerfull creature whos not visible for the normal person.
-Add Room3 WIP but is already playable, no goal atm then kill all monsters.
This room is conected with the base on top to start the top layer rooms but can be acessed via the underground layer rooms as well.

Attachments

• WarChasers Thing 0.03.w3x
    227.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Level 13
Taking the map for a little while before bed!

DONE! Did another hour!

• Huntress has acquired a new skill. (R) Star Storm. It's basically a sexy-looking unchanneled Blizzard that also slows enemies and deals damaged based on Agility. It's her "ultimate" ability in terms on cooldown and mana cost.
  • Base Threat. I have created the basics of the system that will cause invaders to spawn and attack the base. Every 60 secs, the base has a "threat income" based on what buildings it has (a naked base does not attract invaders). 1000 Threat is required to trigger an attack. The Town Hall gives the most threat per minute (100), whilst smaller buildings give 20, and the Shrine reduces all threat income by 50%.
  • Base Resources now give 80-120 lumber (instead of just 100).
  • That's all i had time for unfortunately. Had a quick play with Rooms 2 and 3. They look promising; didn't have time yet to give your room a proper test yet tho Apsyll.
Nice to see you fixed the Soulstone system tho!

Attachments

• WarChasers Thing 0.03a.w3x
    232.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Level 6
Not sure if there's a process to this I didn't read the whole thread but I made a few additions if you'd like them.

List of changes (might have missed a few):

Added Variables:
- STORAGE_PLAYERNAME_RAW (String): For uncoloured original names. (perhaps better to store them uncoloured and then colour after or on demand?)
- TEMP_STRING (String)
- CommandString (String): The command string without a '-'
- GameBoard (Multiboard): Game multiboard.
- PlayerRow (Integer Array): The order number for players on the board.
- Players (Player Group): A group for all User & Is Playing (Human) players.
- Kills (Integer Array): A kill tracking integer.

Added Triggers:
Utility Triggers ->
Player Commands: Takes any string typed by players starting with '-' and handles it. (eg name changes). I did see the testing commands but assumed it was for testing only, so I figured I'd create an independant trigger to handle any -commands from players - otherwise these could probably be merged.
Multiboard -> Create: crates and displays the multiboard, also creates an active 'Players' group.
Multiboard -> Kills: a temporary trigger that would probably have a deeper implementation elsewhere but I couldn't see one so I made this simple one to track kills for the multiboard.
Multiboard -> Update Health: 1 second periodic to update player health on the multiboard. If there's another periodic trigger to squeeze this into that would work too.

Removed location leaks in:
CreateWisps, CreateHero, Room1CorruptionTrap, Room1EnemyUpdate, DefilementAuraRemove, Use Vision Bottle, SatyrLordAI, DarkRaptureCast, TP Use Portal, TP Create Portal, TP Remove Portal, TPTeleport

Attachments

• WarChasers Thing 0.03b.w3x
    239.1 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Level 13
Ooo another editor! Good job. I'll have a look at the map when I get an opportunity.

Did about 80 mins work!

• I mainly did some Work on Room 2 (created by @Leo Akastenix). Most of it was reterraining/added decorations because it looked a bit naked and was using a lot of empty space. The rest of the time was wrapping my head around the triggers to understand how the room works.
  • For now i've nerfed all creatures in the area so the Huntress has a chance to work through them for testing purposes.
  • I changed the Aura on the Agents to give +100% damage instead of +10HP/per sec to make them a bit more different from Defiled Relics. Tho i might revert this.
  • I looked into the triggers for Room 2 and have cleared up a few errors: the area should run properly now (before the Boss wouldn't spawn and 1 of the events didn't run).

• I am still thinking of abilities for mobs in this area: i am possibly thinking of making the Agents have the ability to attack rather than them just stand there. I may give them a cast-time spell that summons Elementals, which on top of their aura, would make them the most threatening mob in that room.
  • For the Murlocs, i am not sure if they need an ability, but i was thinking of making them explode 2 seconds after death in a poisonous "corpse explosion" sort of way.
  • For the weaker Elementals, i'm not sure they need an ability, and if they can be summoned by the Agents, they will be fine without.
  • For the stronger Elementals, i'm not sure if they're strictly needed since the agent, other elementals and murlocs make a strong enemy pack. But i will think about what i can do with them. They could serve as a different vareity of elemental with a small change (e.g. higher health regen, more attack range).
  • I haven't touched the boss ("Secret Weapon") yet. Thematically i was thinking of having the boss in that area as a giant defiled elemental whose main ability is to split off into smaller elementals, and to have agents spawn periodically to help him out.

• Some of the enemies were "Neutral Hostile"; @Leo Akastenix i assumed this was unintentional so i changed them to "Monsters" (they were killing each other before i could see them as the Huntress).
The triggers still need a lot of work and could probably do with a lot of condensing. I will continue to work on Room 2 when i next have time for the map.

I really loved the new Multiboard, and i looked more at the room pathing system and saw how clever it was :p

Attachments

• WarChasers Thing 0.03c.w3x
    251 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Level 6
New update:
0.03d:
-worked a bit more on room3 just the system not the terrain if someone feels like terraining, go for it else I will do the terrain later;)
-added some systems for better use later.
-changed the mana cost from huntres gleve from 50 to 30.

Attachments

• WarChasers Thing 0.03d.w3x
    333.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Level 9
@pick-a-chew Thanks for working on my room.

Murlocs were meant to be just spammable creeps.
For the rest, feel free to make changes to room 2. Im fine with that.
Also, somebody work on the boss pls. I am terrible with boss fights.

Level 6
Mostly just wanted to fix the name not displaying when I loaded up the new map, did a few things.
Variables:
STORAGE_PLAYERNAMES: Renamed to PlayerNamesColoured
STORAGE_PLAYERNAMES_RAW: Renamed to PlayerNames
Colours (New String Array): an array to store colour codes.
Progress (Integer): Tracks progress through the rooms for the multiboard; and perhaps other things.
Time (Integer Array): Tracks time.
TimeString (String Array): Used for outputting the time with leading zeros.

Added:
Multiboard -> Colour Init: just an array of colours for easier use and theming of text colours. Just contains player colours, end tag and the gold colour seen on hotkey buttons for now.
Multiboard -> GameTimer: A timer for the multiboard.
Utility Triggers -> Player Commands: Added a -cam <distance> command to change camera distance within a range.

Changed:
- 'Player names' trigger was firing after the multiboard causing names to not show up. I've moved the name saving into an initilization trigger.
- Moved the health update for the multiboard into the timer trigger.

Removed:
Utility Triggers -> Player names
Multiboard -> Update Health

Attachments

• WarChasers Thing 0.03e.w3x
    335.8 KB · Views: 46
Level 13
Nice to see some more work on this!

I'm going to take the map and do a bit more.

Edit: Done another hour or so...

Despite spending that long i didn't really get much done!

• I have retriggered Area 2 to make it more user-friendly and easier to understand (it now uses less triggers).
  • Murlocs now explode 1.4 seconds after death, dealing 10% of any enemy within a small range for 10% of their max HP as spell damage. Their attack damage has been reduced to compensate.
  • Agents now attack and move. They have regained their HP regen aura, which now restores 3% health per second. They are fairly scary in terms of damage output.
  • Defiled Elementals now move very slowly (50 movement speed), and will approach enemies within range, but have fairly high damage.
  • Killing an Agent will weaken all Defiled Elementals within a large area (reduces them to 1 HP).
  • The strategy is: Kill Agent ASAP, or pull them out of the group so you can dps him down without the elementals harassing you. Murlocs are fodder, but you need to be careful where you walk after you kill them.
I haven't done much for the Mad elementals yet. So far there's only 2 in the Room. I will think to give them some kind of scary ability.

I haven't done the boss yet but i am thinking for his abilities.

Attachments

• WarChasers Thing 0.03f.w3x
    337.8 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Level 13
How abt Mad Elementals spawn at boss fight frequently?

I'm thinking of, unlike the Satyr boss (where he roams his Room), your Boss room will be inescapable (well, you could TP out of it if you can complete the cast) to add an extra sense of danger.

Currently i've brainstormed the following abilities for your boss:
  • Call Murlocs: Summons 6 Murloc Mutants from a random predetermined point in the boss arena over 6 seconds. These Murlocs are the ones you already counter in the room, and as such they explode upon death (thus requiring players to handle them properly).
  • Quake: After a 2 second cast (players will be warned), deals heavy damage to all players in the arena. Creates 6 Tectonic Energy. Simple skill check for players to use their (D)efensive ability in time.
  • Kraken Shell: Reduces damage taken by 50% for 15 seconds. (Defensive ability for the boss/dungeon master; should be used to mitigate hero ultimates/heavy incoming damage). Long CD.
  • Tectonic Strikes: Each successfull melee attack will create Tectonic Energy at the position of a random point in the room. This Energy explodes after 20 seconds, dealing considerable AoE damage. (Basically clutters the boss room and makes it so players have to be careful where they walk; also rewards the Boss for successfully attacking enemies).
Basically the goal of the boss is to pressure enemies into unsafe spots where they may take damage from avoidable things.

Level 13
taking the map for a bit before i go down the pub

EDIT: Did about 50 minutes! New map attached.

I have been thinking up a new Hero the past week, and finally designed something solid. It has been added to the map. Note: It's not MUI (though it can be recoded in the future to be MUI-friendly if needed).

Hero: Anchorite
Role: Short-ranged Tank

• Karma: When the Anchorite takes damage, it gains Karma equal to the amount of damage taken for 20 seconds. Currently this is shown in a Leaderboard so the player can track it. (could be changed to floating text if better).
  • Karma Strike: Damages and stuns a target. Damage is increased by Karma.
  • Calamity: Damages up to 3 enemies in the target area for damage increased by Karma.
  • Providence: Generates Karma, and then taunts & teleports nearby enemies to you.
  • Meditation: Refreshes the duration of your Karma.
  • Transcendence: Take no damage for 4 sec. Heals you if you are low health, and negated damage makes Karma.
This hero needs to take damage in order to deal damage. It can sustain itself at low health with transcendence. It's more of a bruiser-kind of tank and would benefit from having a healer or support in the future.

Let me know what you think!

Attachments

• WarChasers Thing 0.03g.w3x
    350.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Level 6
I'm really busy here have no time atm :(
maybe take a look after the weekend, I hope someone else could pick it up.

Here some random thoughts:
I think now should be the point where we also get to the dungeon master when we still want it implemented, so...
-Build a starting location for the dungeon master.
-The create some pawn buildings like in the original one and the dungeon master should be able to choose what unit will be spawned on this building
-Create "Trap" units placed in the rooms that can be selected for the dungeon master to cast a spell in this location
so the room creator can control if the dungeon master can interrup the player or not
I think about the dungeon master like a combination of "Crawl" and "Dungeon Keeper" with some special for our map like the boss control.

Status
Not open for further replies.