• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Launcher / Patching / Installing Issues (1.28 / 1.28.1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 32
If you have any issues with the launcher, patching, or installing, please post here. Blizzard will read them.

Before reporting any issues, check off the following first:
1)Have the Blizzard App installed and fully up to date.
2)Be logged into the Blizzard App
3)Launch the Warcraft III Launcher.exe and ensure it gets to "Update Complete"
4)Launch the game using Warcraft III.exe and Frozen Throne.exe

Note that the launcher will also repair bad installations.

There are also these threads from Blizzard about troubleshooting the issues, but it may not cover everything. The threads are for 1.28, but likely have some of the same solutions for 1.28.1.
- [WC3] Frozen Download Troubleshooting
- [WC3] 1.28 Mac Troubleshooting

Last edited:
Level 32
Solution for my issue:
Error said:
Unable to connect to Battle.net. You may be trying to connect to an invalid Battle.net server. If you are using a modem, you may need to connect to the internet before connecting to Battle.net
StoPCampinGn00b said:
Try reinstalling. I had the same problem, but I fixed it by reinstalling. Mine wouldn't work by CD install, so I installed wc3 through the Battle.net site and it worked. https://us.battle.net/account/management/download/
It's free to download it if you've registered your CD keys. If you haven't registered them yet, do so under account settings. You can find your CD key info in these files: user.2rk tft.w3k roc.w3k

Last edited:
Level 4
my problem:
"Warcraft III Launcher.exe" update progression run till 64% then jumped to 100% and said it was finish & started Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne automatically. in game i still had old version 1.27... even by clicking on "Battle.net" in game, i had to restart the game by confirming the in game popup. after that the "Warcraft III Launcher.exe" started automatically & update progression run till 64% then jumped to 100%, etc. (see above, endless loop).

my solution (i'm on Windows 8.1 64 bit & i have german Warcraft III):
- completely uninstall & remove left files in folder of Warcraft III
- log into battle.net account on the web & download game clients for ROC (= Reign Of Chaos) & TFT (= The Frozen Throne)
- download ROC installer by running game client "Downloader_Warcraft3_Reign_of_Chaos_deDE.exe"
- download TFT installer by running game client "Downloader_Warcraft3_The_Frozen_Throne_deDE.exe"
- turn off all firewalls, especially KIS (= Kaspersky Internet Security)
in fact i like kaspersky, but over the last years they added much too much options, so you can never be sure whether it is kaspersky blocking anything and from my experience, most time it really is kaspersky doing something annoying...
- run ".../War3-1.27-Installer-deDE-ROC/Installer.exe" as administrator & exit setup when finished
- run ".../War3-1.27-Installer-deDE-TFT/Installer.exe" as administrator & exit setup when finished
- open "Warcraft III" folder & add "Run as Administrator" under "Compatibility" tab to every EXE file but "BlizzardPrepatch.exe" which shows no "Compatibility" tab
- run "Frozen Throne.exe" or "War3.exe"
- click on "Battle.net" to download update
- when "Warcraft III" gets closed automatically after confirming the popup, do not run the update, just close the update window!
- add "Run as Administrator" under "Compatibility" tab to ".../Warcraft III/Warcraft III Launcher.exe"
- run ".../Warcraft III/Warcraft III Launcher.exe"
- the update progression bar should continously run until 100% (after 64%, you still should see some percentage progress!)
- Warcraft III now is on version 1.28.1.7365
- turn on desired firewalls again

Last edited:
Level 6
Custom Hotkeys no longer work since patch 1.28 they are stuck on default. I can go back to previous patch 1.27 and they work again. Really hope they stop breaking this game, the new launcher is annoying, still no true widescreen. I guess I'm forced to stick with w3arena now :( thanks blizzard I also tried posting on the official blizzard forums but for some reason they won't let me, I tried creating 2 accounts both verified still cant post there...

Custom Hotkeys No Longer Working patch 1.28??

It updated to 82% and then I got the "Whoops! Look like something went wrong. Please try again". I've tried like 10 times launching that Warcraft Launcher like they said, and it didn't work. I tried running as administrator.

Somehow the patching process got more and more painful and annoying with every patch. I understand they made it easier for them to deliver patches, but what's the point of these past 3 patches and all the inconvenience they caused us? They added a sum total of zero new content or features to this game. All they did was fix some very minor arbitrary bugs/fix major bugs that they themselves introduced with these new patches.

It needs to download ~1 GB of data to patch. If you are using wireless, try an Ethernet connection.

Still getting the same error. I am on ethernet, and I sincerely doubt it's my internet that's the problem:

0AvX3jt.png

Level 2
Hi, since 1.27b a row of effects don't appear when you use the trigger "create special effect at point" (but appear if you use "create special effect on unit").
And since 1.28.2 some effects don't show even with "create special effect on unit".

Thanks for updating warcraft 3!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Hi, since 1.27b a row of effects don't appear when you use the trigger "create special effect at point" (but appear if you use "create special effect on unit").
And since 1.28.2 some effects don't show even with "create special effect on unit".
Would be helpful to provide a listing of the triggers being used to create the effects as well as a video capture of the problem in game.

Level 13
I've got a problem with patch 1.82.2 being stuck at 83%... and not moving for hours. I had the "Something went wrong ..." error before that.
I'll try downloading the patch from the asian servers while running as admin after a complete reinstall. Keep you posted if that works.

By the way, which "Warcraft III Launcher.exe" is the patch notes referring to? The one in Appdata, or in the Warcraft 3 folder?

Edit:
Does anyone know how much data needs to be downloaded for this patch, exactly?
If it's 1GB, then 2 hours would be reasonable at my 120KB/s download speed.

... and 1 hour in, "Whoops! Something broke ..." Got it to 84%, though!

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Does anyone know how much data needs to be downloaded for this patch, exactly?
If it's 1GB, then 2 hours would be reasonable at my 120KB/s download speed.
~1 GB. It redownloads all the game data MPQ files. Took me roughly 2 minutes at 10 MB/sec download, hence why I say ~1 GB. Might be more or less depending on your localization.

Level 1
I had a similar issue of the download being stuck at 84% and then getting the "Looks like something broke" error message. Launching RoC instead of TFT and updating through going to battle.net there fixed the problem for me.

Yup i did the same.

I downloaded both ROC and TFT from Blizzard. But since updating through TFT was giving me headaches, i decide to only install ROC and update from there, and it worked like a charm (it took 5 minutes).

Level 9
I completely reinstalled warcraft 3 from my DVDs, but when I run "warcraft 3 launcher.exe" it jumps almost immediatelly to 64% and after a while it reads update is completed, but after clicking the launch button the version is 1.07. Any ideas?

EDIT: And when I clicked on the battle.net button in warcraft 3 TFT it closed and it is just reading "starting Warcraft 3...".

EDIT2: hmm... I have got an idea that maybe it is because I have warcraft 3 in language (including dabing) that isn't available in the updater, though it is original from a distributor in my country. I don't see any reason to do not have all of the languages that was originally part of the game, but whatever...

Last edited:
Level 9
As far as I am aware, Warcraft III was never printed on "DVDs". It was printed onto CDs.
Forgive me my ignorance I don't really know what the difference between DVDs and CDs is. :D

And yes I have working CD keys, but I have never registered the game online as it is recomended, however I think it is not a problem here.
If you have working CD keys for ROC and TFT, just go one page back and read at the bottom what i did.
So am I supposed to download the game from the blizzard network? And how do they recognize I have original game? I don't clearly understand how it works, but I will try it somehow.
Kids these days don't know what CDs are ;D
I am not a kid I just don't know the difference between them, some say it is CD and others say it is DVD, so it is really confusing. Both look same.

EDIT: I just downloaded the 1.27b patch from Patching Classic Games and when I opened it it read "it is intended for another version".

Last edited:
Level 1
CDs/DVDs or whatever. Some of us due to being who we are experienced them very little even if we are not kids.

----

@micca
Blizzard Entertainment: Warcraft III
You will need to create an account and if i remember correctly register your CD keys when asked.
Then DL both ROC and TFT.
Install ROC and update from there.

Should be all good.

Last edited:
Level 9
I am on it right now, I have registered the games to my blizzard account (I had it already before, but I haven't bothered to register it till the 1.28 came out and the way it updates changed) and started to download it. It should be fine now. Thanks.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Forgive me my ignorance I don't really know what the difference between DVDs and CDs is.
Compact disc (CD) is a digital optical disc data storage format released in 1982 and co-developed by Philips and Sony. Standard CDs have a diameter of 120 millimetres (4.7 in) and can hold up to about 80 minutes of uncompressed audio or about 700 MB of data.

DVD (an abbreviation of "digital versatile disc" or "digital video disc") is a digital optical disc storage format invented and developed by Panasonic, Philips, Sony and Toshiba in 1995. Can hold 4.7 GB (single-sided, single-layer – common), 8.5 GB (single-sided, double-layer).

So am I supposed to download the game from the blizzard network? And how do they recognize I have original game? I don't clearly understand how it works, but I will try it somehow.
The CD key is proof of ownership. Once the CD key is attached to your Blizzard account that is all the proof they need.

The new patch system re-downloads the entire game every update so it is clearly trivial for Blizzard to let you download it.

Both look same.
If you look carefully they do not. The underside of a fully printed DVD and a fully printed CD will appear visually different due to the difference in data packing density. Sure they are both shiny but often the tinting as well as how shiny are different. This is much like how the under side of a Blu-ray disc looks different from a DVD.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Hellow I have the same error and I just wanted to add that after the 82% updater is giving you the error "oops something went wrong", the game would crush upon trying to lunch with empty text start up bottons "bnet" will be empty text and there is an error that once you click it, the game quits.
Sounds like an incomplete download of one of the main MPQ files. The patcher needs to download all WC3 files which will amount to 1 GB of data. If your internet connection is slow, unreliable or you try updating while Blizzard download servers are being maintained then this might fail.

Hopefully re-running the patcher will resume where it left off by leaving files it has already fully downloaded (hashes match the expected). If not then it will have to adownload 1 GB of data from the start again.

Sounds like an incomplete download of one of the main MPQ files. The patcher needs to download all WC3 files which will amount to 1 GB of data. If your internet connection is slow, unreliable or you try updating while Blizzard download servers are being maintained then this might fail.

Hopefully re-running the patcher will resume where it left off by leaving files it has already fully downloaded (hashes match the expected). If not then it will have to adownload 1 GB of data from the start again.
Yes, it fixed it. The file was in the folder with name patcher.exe all you have to do is double click it

Level 1
You have a slow internet connection that cannot download >1GB in an hour. Or at least that is the usual case.
I mean, it got to 73% in less than a minute, and then got stuck there, and now, whenever I tried to restart the update, it will just pretty much jump to 73% and get stuck there again.

Status
Not open for further replies.