• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Katu's Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hello there.

I'm experiencing the Map Editor since a few weeks, made a few sample maps to practice basic things, and I planned my first "real" maps, which will be a kind of AOS. Maybe no one will be interested, but who knows.

BUT.

I am "attacked" by several problems and if you dont't help, I'm afraid I cannot "win this battle".

I will explain myself as clearly as I can, but don't forget I'm a Hungarian:)

1. Is it possible to give a hero an ability that is selectable at level-up, but doesn't show up in the hero's skills? I mean, I want to make a summoner hero (like Rexxar) and when he lvls up, he can choose a skill for his summons instead of himself. If the summon dies, the next summon will also has the ability. Like immolation for a fire elemental.

2. Is it possible to maximalize the summoned unit-types (for example a Skeleton Warrior) for a player? I mean a spell like Summon Skeleton Mage from Diablo II. In Di2, the number of skeletons are limited. (but every time it summons 1 skeleton from 1 corpse.)

3. Is it possible to somehow create a group of units (like shields, helms, swords etc.) and disallow heroes to use more than 1-2 of them? (In wc3, you can use 6 Mask of Deaths on one hero. It's a little bit weird.)

4. Is it possible to attach, for example a body armor to an unit? I mean reskinning beacuse the same armor model for a lich and an ogre, would be weird.

5. Is it possible to create a trigger that checks the abilities of two specific items, then makes a new item with both the previous item' properties? (Imagine a necklace which does nothing but you can put various pearls and gems to it with effects, for example ruby gives health, emerald gives life regen etc...)

6. Is it possible to "combine" two or more specific units and create a new unit from them? I mean, selecting a water- and a fire elemental makes a new skill "Morph into Steam Elemental" appear on the lower right part uf the GUI, and also selecting Fire and Earth ---> "Morph into Lava.." etc. Like Dark Archons in Starcraft.

7. There are two groups that determine the armor-type of units, first is metal, wood, flesh etc. and second is unarmored, hero, heavy etc. Is it possible to change the quantity of types? (Both of them). Also, is it possible to change the name, the picture art (the one that appears somewhere near the hero's strength icon), the effect (i mean, for example, XY attack type deals 10% damage to ABC armor type but ASD attack type deals no dmg to it)? Is it possible to change it ingame with items? I mean for example, a hero has no armor --> unarmored, hero type, he gets a chain mail --> metal armor, hero type, he gets a magical armor imbued with fire magic--> magical armor, fire type.

That's all. Sorry if I'm too spoonfeeding or asking too much; if the exact answer is too long, just give me some guidelines and I'll figure out.

I hope they are not so noob questions that no one will answer, and I also hope that they are not too complex question that no one can/have the time to answer.

2 - You want to make a hero ability to summon just one skeleton warrior, but, each level, more powerfull?

1 - Create the skeleton warriors then you wish to create(the lv1,the lv2, etc..)
2 - Make an ability based on the Summon Skeleton Warrior.
3 - Set it as an hero ability, modify the levels, description, etc.
3 - Change the summoned unit type on lv1 to "Skeleton Warrior lv1", the summoned unit type on lv2 "Skeleton Warrior lv2", etc... etc...
4 - Change the number of summoned units to 1.

Level 19
1. Is it possible to give a hero an ability that is selectable at level-up, but doesn't show up in the hero's skills? I mean, I want to make a summoner hero (like Rexxar) and when he lvls up, he can choose a skill for his summons instead of himself. If the summon dies, the next summon will also has the ability. Like immolation for a fire elemental.
- You can use different ways:
- Dialogs with triggers. - Add with triggers a skill that opens a new panel.
- Abuse a spellbook. - Create a new unit with all avaible spells.

2. Is it possible to maximalize the summoned unit-types (for example a Skeleton Warrior) for a player? I mean a spell like Summon Skeleton Mage from Diablo II. In Di2, the number of skeletons are limited. (but every time it summons 1 skeleton from 1 corpse.)
-Yes. Use triggers to set a limit to your summoned units.
Example (leaks):
  • Spawn1
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Spawns a summoned unit
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Summoned unit)) Equal to Skeleton Warrior
    • Actions
      • Set SummonCount = (SummonCount + 1)
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • SummonCount Greater than 5
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Remove (Random unit from (Units owned by (Triggering player) of type Skeleton Warrior)) from the game
        • Else - Actions
          • Do nothing
  • Spawn2
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Dies
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Dying unit)) Equal to Skeleton Warrior
    • Actions
      • Set SummonCount = (SummonCount - 1)
3. Is it possible to somehow create a group of units (like shields, helms, swords etc.) and disallow heroes to use more than 1-2 of them? (In wc3, you can use 6 Mask of Deaths on one hero. It's a little bit weird.)
- U mean a group of items I guess.
This is possible, you will need to use triggers again and create a detection system for it.
4. Is it possible to attach, for example a body armor to an unit? I mean reskinning beacuse the same armor model for a lich and an ogre, would be weird.
You can restrict items or abilities to one unit, again with triggers.
You can also make sure that effects are only be done on these units you prefer.
5. Is it possible to create a trigger that checks the abilities of two specific items, then makes a new item with both the previous item' properties? (Imagine a necklace which does nothing but you can put various pearls and gems to it with effects, for example ruby gives health, emerald gives life regen etc...)
This is possible, yes. You will need to create a trigger that detects whenever a hero learn the ability or whenever the unit gets the item.
When the hero has these items, then your trigger can replace the item with another one.
6. Is it possible to "combine" two or more specific units and create a new unit from them? I mean, selecting a water- and a fire elemental makes a new skill "Morph into Steam Elemental" appear on the lower right part uf the GUI, and also selecting Fire and Earth ---> "Morph into Lava.." etc. Like Dark Archons in Starcraft.
I guess you mean a kind of fusion.
Create a trigger that may detect the thing you want, and then just remove the two units, creating a new one.

7. There are two groups that determine the armor-type of units, first is metal, wood, flesh etc. and second is unarmored, hero, heavy etc. Is it possible to change the quantity of types? (Both of them). Also, is it possible to change the name, the picture art (the one that appears somewhere near the hero's strength icon), the effect (i mean, for example, XY attack type deals 10% damage to ABC armor type but ASD attack type deals no dmg to it)? Is it possible to change it ingame with items? I mean for example, a hero has no armor --> unarmored, hero type, he gets a chain mail --> metal armor, hero type, he gets a magical armor imbued with fire magic--> magical armor, fire type.
- It is possible to change the damage done upon these, and it is possible to change the name and icons.
Go Advanced -> Gameplay contstants & Advanced -> Gameplay interface . You may find here the things you need for changing it.

Level 32
Katu said:
5. Is it possible to create a trigger that checks the abilities of two specific items, then makes a new item with both the previous item' properties?
Item Bonding may be helpful.

[off topic]
Please intriduce yourself to The Hive Workshop!

Welcome to The Hive Workshop Katu. The Hive includes many talented Warcraft III modders (map and resource editors) of all skill levels among its users. New members (especially friendly ones) are always welcome. Take a look around and enjoy your stay, may it be long and productive!

Some good places to start include::grin:

Level 7
Thanks for the super-fast answers. But....

-when i say the trigger creates a new item I mean it's not in the custom item list. Imagine 4 gem types and 10 places in a necklace --> 9 765 625 different variations.
-how the skill ONLY will appear when I select only the correct creatures?
-can I reskin only parts of the hero model, even ingame?

Rep+++++++++++++++

Level 7
Another question:

Can I somehow edit the coordinates of a doodad relative to the map center? I mean, placing 1000 custom non-pathed wall in a line is almost impossible with touchpad, I just want them to be correctly exactly in a straight line.

(EDIT: Forget it, i found the perfect solution.)

Last edited:
Level 7
Uhh im sorry but i cannot help you due to i don't know that much but id like to welcome you to THW and remember not to double post there an edit button. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.