• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

JRPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Drop your Favorite JRPG
RPG is a role playing game. JRPG is a Japanese role playing game. That is really it. Basically the standard for Western Role Playing games is generally something like Mass Effect, Dragon Age or The Elder Scrolls. The standard for JRPG's would be stuff like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest.

Mine : Machine Knight, Pokemon, etc.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Most of the ones for the SNES (haven't played them all). Like:
- Secret of Mana (a.k.a. Seiken Densetsu 2)
- Seiken Densetsu 3
- Chrono Trigger
- Tales of Phantasia
- Legend of Zelda: ALTTP
- Final Fantasy II (IV in Japan)
- Final Fantasy V
- Final Fantasy III (VI in Japan)

Maybe someday I will play Star Ocean and Rudra no Hihou. Maybe.

Secret of the Stars and Final Fantasy Mystic Quest are not that great imho, btw.

Level 10
angry birds galaxy 2
I like this game a lot had fun with my cousins.

Most of the ones for the SNES (haven't played them all). Like:
- Secret of Mana (a.k.a. Seiken Densetsu 2)
- Seiken Densetsu 3
- Chrono Trigger
- Tales of Phantasia
- Legend of Zelda: ALTTP
- Final Fantasy II (IV in Japan)
- Final Fantasy V
- Final Fantasy III (VI in Japan)

Maybe someday I will play Star Ocean and Rudra no Hihou. Maybe.

Secret of the Stars and Final Fantasy Mystic Quest are not that great imho, btw.
Haven't played this games but I constantly hear recommendations for Star Ocean and Secret of Mana

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Secret of Mana (a.k.a. Seiken Densetsu 2)
- Seiken Densetsu 3
- Chrono Trigger
and
Final Fantasy II (IV in Japan)
if we're talking about the same thing. Also, not the remake(s). The SNES (Super Nintendo) version.

Chrono Trigger is my long time favourite from most perspectives (music, story, gameplay etc.).

Now for new stuff that's not on the thread yet:
The 7th Saga - Wikipedia
Breath of Fire (video game) - Wikipedia
Breath of Fire II - Wikipedia

Action RPG:
Crystal Beans From Dungeon Explorer (SNES) (Dungeon Explorer - Wikipedia)

Turn based RPG:
Front Mission (video game) - Wikipedia

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
This one is not a JRPG for sure. This is why I did not include it in my SNES list.
Oh darn, moved to the hybrid section. Thanks.
You realize you've posted Seiken Densetsu/Secret of Mana here though? They're pretty much the same as Secret of Evermore, action-RPG. Sure, maybe the people who worked on Secret of Evermore were not Japanese but the firm was.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
No they are not the same. Secret of Evermore was developed by Americans from North American Square. And it shows, because the game elements heavily rely on American/western culture.

For the record, Secret of Evermore was never released in Japan. Meaning it never could be adapted somewhat to Japanese audiences (like, Tonic => Jinseng, that kind of things...)

Hmm... I also challenge the 'J' in those two games. Especially for that terrible imho LOTR SNES game, which I also have not included in my SNES game list despite having played it too. I do not want to promote trash RPG games, simply because they were released for the SNES.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
No they are not the same. Secret of Evermore was developed by Americans from North American Square. And it shows, because the game elements heavily rely on American/western culture.

For the record, Secret of Evermore was never released in Japan. Meaning it never could be adapted somewhat to Japanese audiences (like, Tonic => Jinseng, that kind of things...)
Sure but the game is technically very similar to Secret of Mana.
Hmm... I also challenge the 'J' in those two games. Especially for that terrible imho LOTR SNES game, which I also have not included in my SNES game list despite having played it too. I do not want to promote trash RPG games, simply because they were released for the SNES.
You're right. They are not JRPGs. Alright I'll remove non Japanese stuff then. And yeah, the LotR game starts sucking bad when you reach the caves and mines. You have to draw maps and stuff to remember where you went and where you haven't, what you found there and what you didn't etc.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Sure but the game is technically very similar to Secret of Mana.
This is irrelevant in this thread, which is about your favorite Japanese RPGs (be they tactical-based, or action-based, or whatever else maybe?).

[...] And yeah, the LotR game starts sucking bad when you reach the caves and mines. You have to draw maps and stuff to remember where you went and where you haven't, what you found there and what you didn't etc.
Yeah, I myself gave up precisely with the caves and mines part of the game.

Like Secret of Evermore, I suspect there was no Japanese release for it either.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
This is irrelevant in this thread, which is about your favorite Japanese RPGs (be they tactical-based, or action-based, or whatever else maybe?).
Not quite. JRPG has become a genre which means games like Secret of Evermore fit in. But, the opening doesn't imply the genre but what you said, RPGs of Japanese origin.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Since you're technical to the core, tell me how would you categorize these maps:
This Wreckage
The Legend of Magnador
This is off-topic.

Not quite. JRPG has become a genre which means games like Secret of Evermore fit in. But, the opening doesn't imply the genre but what you said, RPGs of Japanese origin.
'Japanese role-playing game' on Wikipedia redirects here:
History of Eastern role-playing video games - Wikipedia

The part about Japanese computer RPGs starts here on Wikipedia.
Have you noticed how Secret of Evermore is not mentioned at all? Probably because it is an American RPG.
:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.