1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Island of Life: Introduction

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by N.Knight, Sep 26, 2010.

1. N.Knight

N.Knight

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]

What is Island of Life?
    Island of life is a Biological simulation game which focuses on ecosystem management.
    The player is provided control of an island, which is initially barren & devoid of any life.
    The goal is to nurture the island & turn it into a lush healthy and self sustaining ecosystem.
    However the goal can only be accomplished when the player will understand the balance between plants, animals & their environment.

Gameplay
    Much of the gameplay is still in the preliminary phase.
    However the main concept has remained the same since the beginning. The setting is going to be either cretaceous or Jurassic periods. To acquire animals the player is provided with eco-points. However, before putting the animals in the ecosystem the player first has to build food & water resources ( patches of woodland\water pools). Once the ecosystem is ready, it will be all experimental. The player will have to learn animal behavior by observing their activities & their needs & provide them accordingly. For eg: a triceratops would need a huge amount of vegetation to sustain itself & you can't put it in a fledgling island because it will die of starvation. Similarly, a T-rex would die of hunger until she is provided with a large prey base.

Eco-Points
    Ecology points or Eco-Points is the currency of the game. The player uses eco-points to buy animals, vegetation & to use weather tools. At the beginning of the game the player is provided with a certain number of eco-points which he can use for the basic layout. Once the island's ecosystem is on its way the player starts earning them. Eco-points constantly keep increasing based on the number of animals you have on your island. Healthy animals constantly return what they take from their environment. The more the population the faster you'll earn eco-points.

Eco-Point Bonus:
    Births symbolize a healthy & prospering ecosystem. Whenever an animal will give birth or in this case, lay eggs, the player will earn an eco-point bonus.

Death:
    Death is also a part of nature. Death of an animal will bring a small but much needed amount of eco-points.

# The player must learn to use wisely use Eco-points if he is to succeed in 'Island of Life'.

===============
    Under Construction-----Please be patient :)
    ===============

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  2. Gallin

Gallin

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I think the map would be really cool if you can pull it off.

3. Landmine

Landmine

Multimedia Manager

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm going to be tracking the progress of this. If you can pull it off this will be pretty cool (not to mention original).

4. davisSS3david

davisSS3david

Resources:
    Resources:
    Same here.

I especially like the fact that it's based on the History of Earth and not somekind of custom based planet. Looking forward to it. :goblin_yeah:

5. N.Knight

N.Knight

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Thanks for the encouragement. I am working very hard on this one, the game is still very conceptual and I'm still fiddling with the coding part but all is going well so far. :D
    I will furnish the thread with the first screenshots, as soon as I can.

PS: Coding is my weakness. if any programmers\triggerers would like to help me, feel free to PM me. Thanks again.
    ~N.Knight

6. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  7. jsheph03

jsheph03

Resources:
    Resources:
    Nice. I think this is the most orignal idea ive seen in a while. Good luck.

8. Alfagar

Alfagar

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    This idea is awesome! I think you should make this map! GOOD LUCK!

9. N.Knight

N.Knight

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Thank you very much all of you. You won't be disappointed. I will keep updating this thread with my progress. :)

10. Eldubs

Eldubs

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I will aslo keep track of this map.

11. Gallin

Gallin

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I kinda dislike the idea that it will encompass every part of the history of earth.

First it will be a really long game or each period will go super fast and you wont really know what just went by

and we dont exactly know what every period acctually had.

I think it would be cool if you start on a barran rock of an island and you need to make colonzing plants like mosses and the such and you have a certian number of ecological points that you can use to make like a rapid population boom of a certian specie

12. davisSS3david

davisSS3david

Resources:
    Resources:
    You're welcome, keep up with the idea. You have my full support. :thumbs_up:

13. Shock.Game

Shock.Game

Resources:
    Resources:
    Awesome stuff dude :)

14. Ikithe

Ikithe

Resources:
    Resources:
    Agreed. I will also be watching this thread, because I really hope this works out well.

15. Eldubs

Eldubs

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    If its possible i can help you by betatesting and stuff, i can also then suggest.

16. N.Knight

N.Knight

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Your first point is correct, it will be a really long game. I can't possibly integrate the natural history of the world into one small game. What I have in mind is to assign one map to each epoch, and finally merging them into a campaign.
    But I will release each map separately too.

Your second point is also correct, we still exactly don't understand the various prehistoric life forms of Earth. But, In case of video games and films, the artists do take certain artistic liberties to recreate these magnificent animals and their environment. That is why I will start with a very well known and widely researched period : The late Jurassic.

I also like your idea of ecological points, I'm sure to find a way to incorporate them into the game.

Hi Eldubs,
    Yes it is possible and thank you for asking. I will contact you when the first beta will be ready.

And thank you guys (all of you who posted) for showing interest in the project. :)

17. Aslit

Aslit

Resources:
    Resources:
    seems interesting, if need help...

18. Gallin

Gallin

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    O i thought that this was going to be a mulitplayer game online. Where you try to kill off the other peoples choosen species and you try to make yours survive. Kind of like your all playing God on this small island

19. Eldubs

Eldubs

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Isnt it like that? Is it supposed to be single player? Well i guess its supposed to or it makes too much lag xP

20. N.Knight

N.Knight

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I'm back after quite a long hiatus and I'm reviving this project and the thread.

Last edited: May 22, 2011