• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Island Expedition Vrs. 1.5.1

Reactions: deepstrasz
Island Expedition from World of Warcraft in Warcraft 3:

I´ve been playing World of Warcraft for a very long time now. After grinding through some Island Expeditions I had the idea to remake them in Warcraft 3.
To win ,you have to gather 2500 Azerite. You fight 3 vs. 3/Horde vs. Aliance. Whoever gains the 2500 Azerite first wins. Azerite can be gained by killing creeps, collecting it or killing the other players (Even if you get killed by creeps the other team gets Azerite, so be careful).

Custom models I used:
- Darkspear Troll Rider

Thanks to Thendar for his help!

I´ll try and get back to finishing this map and fleshing it out with some more heroes etc. Maybe when the next WoW expansion comes out, it will be finished! x)

___________________________________________________________________________________
Change Log:
Vrs. 1.1:
Removed Tidal Guardians
New model for Azerite
Some tiny fixes on the map
----------
Vrs. 1.2:
Elizabeths name was changed, cause she´s a nice lady
Elizabeths ultimate was changed to "Cold Touch"
Far seers (Idk how to write this) spells got fixed
---------
Vrs. 1.3:
Cold Touch was fixed
Dark Ranger got a new Ultimate
New Model for Azerite (Yes it´s not that suitable, but I couldn´t find something better (so pls don´t judge me, sensei))
---------
Vrs. 1.4:
4 new horde heroes: Orc Warlock, Orc Warrior, Tauren Warrior, Tauren Druid
Other heroes will follow
Heroes level increased to 4
---------
Vrs. 1.5:
Broken Triggers got fixed
All crates (except for barricades) now have the chance of dropping something
The terrain got improved slightly
A new portal and small island have been added

Vrs. 1.5.1
Terrain issues got fixed (Some parts of the map were unable to reach)
Dark Rangers Ulti got fixed

-Thanks; KLJG/Babarella
Contents

Island Expedition (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Minor update but I guess it can pass. Approved.
Level 4
Even tho I havent played Island Expendition in WoW tho I had some fun playing this map.

Really nice esthetics, only small changes to the original gameplay but still enjoyable, good job on that.
I dont want to judge it on the fact that I played it Solo because it felt a bit slow like this but I believe with a full house it might be very nice.

Im not sure if thats only the case for me, but the naga tower seems to bug. It dies but its attack model stays, meaning something nonexistent attacks me.

Greetings from germany ;)

Level 4
Even tho I havent played Island Expendition in WoW tho I had some fun playing this map.

Really nice esthetics, only small changes to the original gameplay but still enjoyable, good job on that.
I dont want to judge it on the fact that I played it Solo because it felt a bit slow like this but I believe with a full house it might be very nice.

Im not sure if thats only the case for me, but the naga tower seems to bug. It dies but its attack model stays, meaning something nonexistent attacks me.

Greetings from germany ;)

Danke für´s tolle Feedback :)
Doing it alone is really slow and also you don´t have an Opponent, so your only way to loose is by dying 25 times. I´m gonna look into the Problem with the Tower.
Was it clear how to get azerite? Cause I thought it might be hard to figure out.
-Babarella wishes you good luck from southern Germany.

Level 4
Danke für´s tolle Feedback :)
Doing it alone is really slow and also you don´t have an Opponent, so your only way to loose is by dying 25 times. I´m gonna look into the Problem with the Tower.
Was it clear how to get azerite? Cause I thought it might be hard to figure out.
-Babarella wishes you good luck from southern Germany.

I think its really easy to figure out, it was atleat for me. Replacing the Gold with Azerite should be noticed quite quickly.

Do you see how much Azerite the opposing team has in WoW? I remember some gamemodes like that

Level 4
I think its really easy to figure out, it was atleat for me. Replacing the Gold with Azerite should be noticed quite quickly.

Do you see how much Azerite the opposing team has in WoW? I remember some gamemodes like that

I tried to create a leaderboard so that you can see everyones Azerite like in WoW. The Problem is that all Azerite is given to Player red/violett. This means that the other Players cant see how many Azerite you´ve already collected. So if you know how to create a leaderboard showing a Players Gold Id be more than happy.
-Babsi

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
  1. Should be able to skip the intro.
  2. The Select Hero ability's hotkey is E but that doesn't work. Also it has a passive looking icon and no DISBTN (looking green on F10/game pause). You can fix those with these:
    Button Manager v1.8.2
    BLP Lab v0.5.0
    Complete Icon Tutorial - All About Icons
    How to Make an Icon
  3. Only Warcraft III spells. Why not try to make the WoW ones or something different?
  4. A credits list is required in the map thread description. It says you've used these resources: Resources in Use by Island Expedition | HIVE
  5. Find a replacement for the Azerite block/destructible and the item it spawns or request someone to create a death animation for that model (Requests) as they remain on the ground for quite a while and might create confusion unless the cursor is place over them to realize they are not there anymore.
  6. Azerite is called Gold up on the UI. You can change that name in the options near Gameplay Constants.
  7. Near the turtles in the east, there's an invisible something that shoots electric balls at you. Also near the turtles in the northeast. Maybe because they are hidden Tidal Guardians which become unhidden after a while?
  8. Some naga remain neutral.
  9. The Goblin Sapper is not invulnerable like other neutral units.
  10. "You did it..." spamming.
It has potential but it's heavily dependent on Warcraft III original material. Some spells seem just there to be there because they come with the original heroes that have them.

Awaiting Update.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
Paillan
twojstaryjakcie
Daffa the Mage
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

Level 4
  1. Should be able to skip the intro.
  2. The Select Hero ability's hotkey is E but that doesn't work. Also it has a passive looking icon and no DISBTN (looking green on F10/game pause). You can fix those with these:
    Button Manager v1.8.2
    BLP Lab v0.5.0
    Complete Icon Tutorial - All About Icons
    How to Make an Icon
  3. Only Warcraft III spells. Why not try to make the WoW ones or something different?
  4. A credits list is required in the map thread description. It says you've used these resources: Resources in Use by Island Expedition | HIVE
  5. Find a replacement for the Azerite block/destructible and the item it spawns or request someone to create a death animation for that model (Requests) as they remain on the ground for quite a while and might create confusion unless the cursor is place over them to realize they are not there anymore.
  6. Azerite is called Gold up on the UI. You can change that name in the options near Gameplay Constants.
  7. Near the turtles in the east, there's an invisible something that shoots electric balls at you. Also near the turtles in the northeast. Maybe because they are hidden Tidal Guardians which become unhidden after a while?
  8. Some naga remain neutral.
  9. The Goblin Sapper is not invulnerable like other neutral units.
  10. "You did it..." spamming.
It has potential but it's heavily dependent on Warcraft III original material. Some spells seem just there to be there because they come with the original heroes that have them.

Awaiting Update.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
Paillan
twojstaryjakcie
Daffa the Mage
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

Thx, gonna look into it.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
  1. There's no need to have a different hero selection icon/ability for each faction. Humans have the proper hotkey though R.
  2. Some spells like Tornado are useless while others too strong like Avatar, Reincarnation etc. Balance the spells if you really want to use the normal Warcraft III ones.
  3. Refrain from "jokes" like that of Elizabeth's unit name ("stupid..."). Leave a hero rank instead for each hero.
  4. WERT hotkeys for spells for ease of use.

All in all, you should think of spells and how they affect the game. Some heroes are much stronger or useful than others.

Awaiting Update.

(previous comments: Island Expedition)

Level 4
  1. There's no need to have a different hero selection icon/ability for each faction. Humans have the proper hotkey though R.
  2. Some spells like Tornado are useless while others too strong like Avatar, Reincarnation etc. Balance the spells if you really want to use the normal Warcraft III ones.
  3. Refrain from "jokes" like that of Elizabeth's unit name ("stupid..."). Leave a hero rank instead for each hero.
  4. WERT hotkeys for spells for ease of use.
All in all, you should think of spells and how they affect the game. Some heroes are much stronger or useful than others.

Awaiting Update.

Just as a side note: Reincarnation is already removed.
Also I left in the original wc3 spells, cause you don´t have that much time to look into them and I don´t understand why everything has to be custom all the time.

-Babarella

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Just as a side note: Reincarnation is removed
You are hurrying when updating. You aren't giving enough thought beforehand. For instance, the Dark Ranger's Charm can be abused by gathering units near towers to form a small army.
Please, consider more than 1-2 things before updating.

EDIT:
-there's still a Tidal Guardian (since you wrote you've removed them) in the northeast up a ramp on a cliff near an azerite camp.
-azerite formations can be destroyed during the night without the neutral units engaging (intended?).
-azerite formations and what comes out of their destruction look too similar to the fountains and there's at least one fountain on the map.
-the orc warrior has storm bolt/firebolt a spell the Mountain King has. That's not original. Try diversifying spells, every hero to have their own spells, unique ones at least if actual custom ones are not made.
-there's a potion of healing hidden by trees somewhere in the center but it can be reached.

Awaiting Update.

Last edited:
Level 4
You are hurrying when updating. You aren't giving enough thought beforehand. For instance, the Dark Ranger's Charm can be abused by gathering units near towers to form a small army.
Please, consider more than 1-2 things before updating.

EDIT:
-there's still a Tidal Guardian (since you wrote you've removed them) in the northeast up a ramp on a cliff near an azerite camp.
-azerite formations can be destroyed during the night without the neutral units engaging (intended?).
-azerite formations and what comes out of their destruction look too similar to the fountains and there's at least one fountain on the map.
-the orc warrior has storm bolt/firebolt a spell the Mountain King has. That's not original. Try diversifying spells, every hero to have their own spells, unique ones at least if actual custom ones are not made.
-there's a potion of healing hidden by trees somewhere in the center but it can be reached.

Awaiting Update.

1. The one Tidal Guardian is intended
2. I thought I switched of the day and night circle, cause it works for me. Gonna look into that.
3. Do u have an idea for a model? The fountain is the best one I could find.
4. I think that this sort of spell is acceptable (Also the Tauren Warrior also has some semi custom spells)
5. Glad u found my "Secret"

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
3. Do u have an idea for a model? The fountain is the best one I could find
Try some custom stuff Models | HIVE
4. I think that this sort of spell is acceptable (Also the Tauren Warrior also has some semi custom spells)
If you decide to use normal Warcraft III spells, make them have sense on each hero, each hero should have a role: strong hero, support hero, high damage hero, spell caster etc. (each with vulnerabilities and feats). Don't repeat them (spells/abilities) among heroes.

And please make that intro skippable. It serves no useful purpose. It doesn't even present the gameplay.

I mean, I can just approve this map since it's pretty much working and not bad but I don't like people getting lazy or unoriginal. It's why I try to push them do more stuff to improve their maps in a way it matters more.

Level 4
Try some custom stuff Models | HIVE

If you decide to use normal Warcraft III spells, make them have sense on each hero, each hero should have a role: strong hero, support hero, high damage hero, spell caster etc. (each with vulnerabilities and feats). Don't repeat them (spells/abilities) among heroes.

And please make that intro skippable. It serves no useful purpose. It doesn't even present the gameplay.

I mean, I can just approve this map since it's pretty much working and not bad but I don't like people getting lazy or unoriginal. It's why I try to push them do more stuff to improve their maps in a way it matters more.

Hi, again.
I tried to make the Intro skippable, but I didn´t know how to. Gonna work at it.
Also I really want to improve this map, so that people can have fun, but I also don´t think that EVRYTHING has to be 100% custom. With the heroes I´m trying to make them feel like from WoW. (For example a Shaman with totems and bl). But it´s nice, that u want to motivate people. I like that.
-LG Babsi

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I tried to make the Intro skippable, but I didn´t know how to. Gonna work at it.
Making Cinematics Skippable
Also I really want to improve this map, so that people can have fun, but I also don´t think that EVRYTHING has to be 100% custom. With the heroes I´m trying to make them feel like from WoW. (For example a Shaman with totems and bl). But it´s nice, that u want to motivate people. I like that.
Well, if they are correctly mirrored (like in WoW), then OK.

Level 4
Making Cinematics Skippable

Well, if they are correctly mirrored (like in WoW), then OK.

Just wanted to say that I´m probably not gonna upload for a while, cause I´m just not really in the mood for the Level Editor. Gonna Focus a Little on writing for a time. Don´t know when I´m gonna update this map, but it won´t be to far in the future.
-Babsi