• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Is there a way to find the differences between two maps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I recently found out someone uploaded a version of my map without my authorization. I found this to be a bit annoying, but i suppose it is part of the game. I am just wondering if it is possible to see the differences between my official version and this bootleg version, as the person has added over 100KBs of space to the map and through my initial search i couldn't find anything. Here are the two maps.

Bootleg:
http://www.epicwar.com/maps/262680/

Official:
http://www.epicwar.com/maps/262611/

Level 9
You need to skim through the map; i see no other easier alternatives to this.
Check the triggers, especially the header part. It may be someone put a cheat in the map (happened to most maps, since there is a place in the Internet dedicated just to cheat maps).

Check imported stuff. Added KB could mean more stuff, so maybe he/she added something.

If you still can't see anything, check objects next.

Basically, you gotta read every part of the bootleg map with yours.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
use MPQEdit and check all the files individually. Knowing common map ruining tricks it usually is they import a few assets and add them to a rigged unit or two. If you did not make the map it can also be they were given permission to modify the map and make a new version but they forgot to optimize it properly.

Level 12
I'm really disappointed.... I don't care that they added cheats (although it is pretty weird), but why did they upload it to epicwar. That's where most people get my map from. I dont want any fans of my map to accidentally get a soiled version. This makes me sad.

Though thank you @Arhowk for finding out what happened :)

BTW what does MD5 or SHA mean?

Last edited:
Level 22
Why do you need to find what was modified anyway? Just report the unofficial map on epic war.

Basically, in your map thread you can display the original MD5 Checksum of your map. Then write something likw this:
"If you suspect the map was modified unofficially, find the checksum of the suspected map file and if it does not matches with XXXX-XXXX-... then it is an unofficial version "

If you really want to find out what's modified, you have to do it the old fashioned way, that is checking every possible difference such as triggers, imported files, object editor data, etc.

Level 19
Why do you need to find what was modified anyway? Just report the unofficial map on epic war.

Basically, in your map thread you can display the original MD5 Checksum of your map. Then write something likw this:
"If you suspect the map was modified unofficially, find the checksum of the suspected map file and if it does not matches with XXXX-XXXX-... then it is an unofficial version "

If you really want to find out what's modified, you have to do it the old fashioned way, that is checking every possible difference such as triggers, imported files, object editor data, etc.
people barely tends to check any given map's creator's name, and you want them to obtain some tools which will show MD5 D:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Only Linux nuts know how to do that though...

Or just run difference on the component files and see what has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.