• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Inverted's] Terrain Showcase (My first terrains)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Hey everyone, i just recently started using the wc3 world editor and i thought i start making some terrains. This is my first one so please let me know what you think and how i can improve it! I will post more here in the near future.

Mountain_pass01.jpgMountain_pass02.jpgmountain_pass03.jpgArcher01.jpg

Last edited:
Level 34
Not bad. You need to use a distance fog though. Go to Scenario - Map Options.
Set the fogs color, the Z-start and Z-finish, then enable it.

Your small hills are pointy, take the smooth tool and run over them quickly.

Your shrubs are placed in some bad spots, most notably on the top oh a rocky hill. You should try using another plant though, try taking the river rushes, set the variation to 3, tint them darker, and place them in your map. I also suggest you import some trees and plants, they almost always help!

You are new and may not know about the amazing Ultimate Terraining Map. Or the useful MiscData.txt.

Keep it up, and try and improve this terrain before moving on.

Level 36
I do think a slight fog would be good for the forest below. However, don't listen to Gilles and use distance fog ^_^!!! Use the Fog Doodad that you can find in the Ultimate Terraining Map (should be posted here on this forum). Just put it down in that forest in the top right hand corner a little so it looks further away. Just my suggestion.

Also, this doesn't really make sense? A road leading into a tree? Better hope you're not blind...*thwack*

Well a positive comment is that I like the atmosphere. I don't know why, but it looks more like night than a lot of other terrains. Don't listen to me, I'm crazy in how I see terrains ^_^

Level 4
:/ The green fog doesn't really fit, in any case I would go for something darker and the fog weather effect isn't really needed in my opinion.

Level 34
I do think a slight fog would be good for the forest below. However, don't listen to Gilles and use distance fog ^_^!!! Use the Fog Doodad that you can find in the Ultimate Terraining Map (should be posted here on this forum). Just put it down in that forest in the top right hand corner a little so it looks further away. Just my suggestion.

Also, this doesn't really make sense? A road leading into a tree? Better hope you're not blind...*thwack*

Well a positive comment is that I like the atmosphere. I don't know why, but it looks more like night than a lot of other terrains. Don't listen to me, I'm crazy in how I see terrains ^_^
Or better yet! Use both! That's what I do.

I figured he's on the basics. You should read Void's tutorial for more "advanced" techniques.

Level 10
ok thanks for all the help guys. I got rid of the green fog and added a darkish blue and no more global fog and it looks alot better (new forest pic in original post). Anyways the top post is updated with a new map of an archer, it is basically the idea of an archer in a magical forest and i think the compisition of the picture is nice, let me know what you think, pic in original post.

Last edited:
Level 10
yes they are craka
@ everyone, I have been tied up in my Combowhore project which i will be realeasing very soon.
So i havent been able to terrain as much as id like, but there are more terrains to come, no worries.

K guys, i felt like taking a 30 minute break from Combowhore so this is what i come up with.

illidanandfollowers.jpg

Comments & Criticism please.
-inverted

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 6
Hmmmm... take away the empty spaces between the growth + use grass! Also remove the waves, they look ugly in a swamp-like area.

And I can see empty spaces behind the trees, try to fix that, but anyway nice terrain

Level 10
Um i have a question. If i have multiple updates lets say. An update and i post then 5 hours later another update but no one has responded. Can't i post again (create a double post). I meen if i keep editing my post then the thread will die. Its a way of bumping and keeping people updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.