• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

International Language: English?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.
I'd like to point out that the point of the noun "refuse" is that it's derived from the verb refuse.

Look above where I proved you wrong that it isn't even close to being the most dominant language any time soon, not the way the rediculous rules of the language are.
Yes it is. Having a large number of users in one specific area is completely different from having a less-large number of users all over the world.

Level 12
Yet it's pronounced differently, derived from it or not, it has a different pronunciation... which was the ENTIRE point of that portion of the list.

Again, 3-4 billion people arn't going to pick the language up anytime soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 12
It shows how learning the language can be quite difficult and confusing because you have words that are spelt the same, yet are pronounced different and mean different things, just depending on the way you use them. That in itself is what I was getting at.

Level 8
I, for one, agree with many of your points, and disagree with many others. You cannot deny the possibility of this happening is atleast there in some sense, however low its chances may seem, yet, nor can you gaurantee its implementation at this stage. Who knows, maybe by 2020, English will in fact become a dominant langauge(dominant in its ability to be fluently or understandably spoken by a majority of people who do not have it as a native language).

Level 12
Glad you agree with some of the stuff I've said. I'm sure my aggressive ways of debating them has sort of turned you off of what I've been saying, which is why you might disagree with some of my stand points, which I'm completely fine with. It's just a discussion, that's all. I'll try to ease up on my cynicism and jackass-ery.

Like I said before, I don't see it becoming a global anything, not by my lifetime, my children's life times, and their children's life times. It's just too big of a change for such a short amount of time for something so big to happen.

Anyways, off to bed... I hate waking up early for work. D:

Level 27
Looking back, the posts in this thread work perfectly well without the abrasive parts. I bet future posts will also not have the need for abrasiveness.
Have you ever run into someone who was combobulated, gruntled, ruly or peccable?
This was my favorite.

While it is true that English is not the only language that has senseless rules, I think it possible to design a language without such a large list of rules and special cases.

Whether or not these rules will remain intact for international speakers is another matter.
Again, 3-4 billion people arn't going to pick the language up anytime soon,
This much is true. Four billion children, on the other hand, very well might. Children are funny like that. This is not the same as replacing those four billion people who wouldn't learn English, though. Their imminent death does that.

The greatest source of change is the greatest source of learning: Children. In the ~30 years it takes grow up, anything can happen.

Level 12
Thankyou Hakeem.

Well what I was getting at with those lists, was that you can be disgruntled, but you can't be gruntled, you can be discombobulated, but not combobulated. So new speakers will be confused by these strange rules and other words that are spelled the same, mean different things, yet are pronounced differently.

I could understand children being the tide that turns this debate over, but you're implying 4 billion of our population now is children, which isn't true. Sure if the population was that, I'm sure it'd be slightly easier to develop a world wide language, but how many of you know another language other then your own, and I don't mean just know a little bit of it, but enough to sufficiently communicate with another speaker of a different language. Also, with 4 billion children, non-English speaking children, how many of them will learn our language? How many of them will even have the technology, resources, and help to learn our language, how many of them will even care to learn another language? How many of you cared to learn another language when you were younger?

Level 8
You're acting as if, in the coming years, more children wont be born. We get older each day, Saken, and each day, more humans are born. The children of today learn the language, then the children of tomorrow, next week, and pretty soon, you've even got the children of next month on board with the language.

As English gets older, it becomes much more convienent, this of course attributed to its continual growth, making it more reasonable to learn it.

Level 27
Also, with 4 billion children, non-English speaking children, how many of them will learn our language?
Out of 4 billion? At least a couple thousand or so. :p
How many of them will even have the [wherewithal] to learn our language?
Out of 4 billion? Millions, if not billions.
How many of them will even care to learn another language?
Probably the same ratio as always. So far it seems to be a ratio large enough to cause change.
How many of you cared to learn another language when you were younger?
A lot of us are still young. :p This is actually a pretty global community. A lot of the people you speak to here know more than English. For a lot of them, it's even their second language.

Though I actually am one of the ones who only knows English. I'd like to point out that I don't visit/haven't been linked to non-English web pages very often.

Level 12
En_Fuego said:
You're acting as if, in the coming years, more children wont be born. We get older each day, Saken, and each day, more humans are born. The children of today learn the language, then the children of tomorrow, next week, and pretty soon, you've even got the children of next month on board with the language.

I realize more and more human lives are brought into this world each and every second, but that doesn't change the tide of society into wanting a global language. It doesn't mean the need or even the simple desire to have such a global language would ever cross their minds. You sort of act like children are aging by 5-10 years and gainging vast amounts of knowledge with every hour as they miracalously grow into the children of tommorrow, who now make up the majority of the world, who all speak one language.

[QUUTE=En_Fuego]I'd also like to point out that according to foreign exchange students at my school, it's mandatory to take 3+ years of English in countries like Sweden, Brazil, Switzerland, and even South Korea. [/QUOTE]

Well they certainly arn't going to send a kid over who knows close to nothing about the language.

How many students are your school are foreign exchange students? Not many. How many schools even offer that? Not many, and those that do that, they can't host enough students to really make a difference.

HAKEEM said:
Out of 4 billion? Millions, if not billions.

4 billion isn't all children, but even then, going with what you were saying, I highly doubt billions or even close to a billion have the software, resources, and help there to help them learn a new language.

HAKEEM said:
Probably the same ratio as always. So far it seems to be a ratio large enough to cause change.

I've never seen a big enough number of students who are so adament for learning a new language. Have you all forgotten that the masses of kids in schools are more likely to worry about sports, being popular, and socializing with their friends in their own language without even considering, "Hey, I want to learn another language to communicate with others from around the world!" You guys are forgetting that not everyone in the world has a brighter outlook and a desire to gain more knowledge. To them it's more about the here and now, and not the future.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'd like to ask you guys though... I have a few more things that are possible, despite if you agree or disagree, (I.E. earlier, religion).

• Currency
• Foreign Presence
• Education Decline

First off, currency. Hyphothetically speaking, you guys are right. English is now the global language. What about currency. Now that everything is 'Americanized' by English (Assuming the dialect/form of the English language is the modern American language, what will happen to currency of other countries? Will the peso still be the peso? Will it have to change to reflect the new English language that's been instilled? (I can already see you guys saying that it will stay the same, and they can keep their language, but just know English too. (Quite selfish, seeing as none of you have said we would have to learn their languages too to be able to communicate with those who are unable to learn the language/don't want to/don't know English very well.)) Will we have to issue our currency to other countries for them to duplicate to make it easier for transactions, be less confusing, and easier to purchase from each other? Will their form of currency just entirely disappear? Think of the economic turmoil from this. There is just no simple and easy fix to it. America is 10 trillion dollars in debt, how could we afford the finances to help other countries duplicate our currency, and the way the Federal Reserve works, being a private company not owned by the government, they would just put the entire world in debt by undoubtedly loaning money (They don't just make it and give it to the government, they loan it.) to other countries with interest, (Meaning the debt is set in stone, just like America's debt is. It is unceasing, infinite, and never going to be paid off because of the system that is being run by the Federal Reserve, and the way the government is allowing it to do so.) You propose a global language, but you all are niave in foreseeing the consequences. This is my main goal in this topic now, to show you guys how it just wouldn't work in the first place.

Secondly, foreign presence. The foreign presence of America, or all English dominated countries basically invading the rest of the world with their language. What's next? Our governments? Democracy all over the world, yay! Wait, what? Now we're enforcing strange laws, regulations, and rules these countries are unfamiliar with. Hm, the world already hates America, and English speaking countries in general, let's piss them all off by using our military presence as well to basically force these countries who are on upheaval because we are the big bullies of the world, forcing everyone to act accordingly to how we feel they should act; subserviant to America. When I say we, I mean the people who run our country, not just the government, but those who have ties to power will get in on trying to run another country bankrupt or into civil war until they are subdued by our military or foreign presence. We'd just be working towards that World Wide Order that was mentioned before, eh? I know at least most, if not all of you who have been against me are thinking how negatively I think and express my ways, but this is reality... people don't just do things nicely. Ever heard the saying, nice guys finish last?

Second alternate of foreign presence... say there is no world wide order or anything quite yet. With our constant presence through our language and our governments way of always trying to plant democratic governments in other countries, what happens to borders? Will they just be erased as time goes by? Will passing from one country to another even matter? We all breathe, live, and speak a global language now, so what would the need for borders, boundries, and states be? Everything, and everyone would just assimilate and evolve, like the language itself. It'd be a scientologist's dream. A utopia of conformity.

Third, and last of this post... the decline of education. The growing need, or desire by you guys and who ever has this dream, will certainly becoming a subject given much more attention then other languages. Sooner or later, your global language will be just that, where the global language is the only language spoken. You said years will pass, and the children will, by the thousands, millions, and billions pick up English, thus carrying it like a priest carries a rosarie, balled up tight in their fist, carrying with them, faith, or the English language. By forcing people, or having them volunteer and do it by choice, to learn English, they are now neglecting their studies for their own language, and other subjects. Not to mention guys, how boring would life be if there were no longer any exotic places you could go to when you've got the money to go on a vacation half-way around the world? You'd get there to meet some guy who has a slightly different accent, yet speak, look like, and act like you. Just exactly what you were trying to get away from in the first place by taking a vacation! You guys have pressed on and on and on about everyone learning it, well you forgot to take account of time. Time spent learning their native language will decline as they are pressed to learn our language. They would be required to put forth more effort and time to learn English, and eventually, as you stated, the ratio is large enough for change. Well you didn't account for the change of learning English, picking it up as their primary language, and then virtually forgetting their secondary language. I know tons of hispanics who don't know more Spanish than I do. I've got asian friends who only know English, and tiny bits of their native language only because their parents speak it from time to time, or between other relatives. You guys are forgetting that people are already learning our language and forgetting or neglecting their own. This is culture being lost. Being 'Americanized' is throwing away their traditions and the meaning of their ancestors. You can't disagree on this, unless you guys are being more naive and stubborn then I once thought before...

Level 15
How many students are your school are foreign exchange students? Not many. How many schools even offer that? Not many, and those that do that, they can't host enough students to really make a difference.

We actually have 15 foreign exchange students. The school doesn't pay for it. They do it through some 'Hands Across The Nation' program. And they didn't just study English because they wanted to come to America, they said that it's mandatory in their schools for everyone to learn English.

And if you know anything about the Slavic countries (and Brazil too!), their education is a lot better than it is here.

Level 24
I was pretty sure that it's not that other countries have better amazing education systems, the US just has a really shitty one. I've been to public schools, I can vouch that the majority of them suck and are completely stupid.

Level 15
I was pretty sure that it's not that other countries have better amazing education systems, the US just has a really shitty one. I've been to public schools, I can vouch that the majority of them suck and are completely stupid.

I never said they were amazingly better. I just said they were a lot better than here, which they are.

If you don't believe me, look at the dropout rate...

Level 24
En_Fuego, fair enough.

Stupid, ignorant shit about money
There are already lots of global companies that have this shit worked out.

Stupid, ignorant shit about other countries
You know what, you're completely right. Forcing people to choose if they want to stay exactly the same or change to whatever they feel like is a horrible, horrible thing to do. The reason Iraq is such a mess is because over half the country boycotted the elections, instead of just showing up and winning.

Stupid, irrelevant shit about borders
By that logic, Canada and the US should have become one country ages ago.

Stupid, irrelevant shit about language
People all over the world learn mathematics, engineering, architecture, art, etc. I used this analogy earlier, but painting can be done in watercolours, acryllic paint, oil paints, dyes, etc. on canvas, clay, buildings, etc. Culture is not limited to one specific language, and learning a language does not magically force a culture on you.

Level 35
Language is beautiful, Language is culture.

And inevitably: Beauty is shared, and cultures are exchanged. Language is not immune to this, and shouldn't be. Because that would be a travesty to it's artistic value alone, not even counting the damage it would do to the rest of it.

Level 12
How mature of you to say everything in my post earlier was irrevent or ignorant, when you're the one who's unable to see the cold hard reality of the nature.

Your analogy sounds like a good one, but your logic doesn't make it apply to the real world.

About the Canada and U.S. borders, no, they wouldn't have become one country ages ago. They have their own rules, laws, and style of government that differs greatly from America.

Your ignorant reply about the decline of knowledge is funny. I pretty much said that with the ever growing need for English, other languages would suffer, meaning the children being pressured to learn English, instead of their own. I know I did say, "and other subjects", but I've already proved how hard the English language is unless you grow up with it as your primary language, so more then likely it'd take some toll on another subject, at least one; not every child is an adept student you know.

Lot's of global companies that have it worked out? Oh really? Who? How? When? Oh wait, you don't know, you just think there are companies ready to do this, and there won't be. But I'll give you that benefit of the doubt, but if there were companies who were "ready" for this, then I highly doubt they'd succeed.

Level 15
but I've already proved how hard the English language is unless you grow up with it as your primary language, so more then likely it'd take some toll on another subject, at least one; not every child is an adept student you know.

I find this hard to understand. Arizona is like a who's-who? of races. We have immigrants from pretty much all the major immigrated countries (China, Korea, Mexico, Kenya, etc.) and still people manage to learn English despite not being able to learn it in their home.

Even all of the illegals, who claim to only speak Spansih, Chinese, etc. at home, can speak well enough English to get around.

Level 35
think clearly... no one is going to exchange their language just because it would be easier to understand everyone else, it's too late for that, and the majority would disagree, probably even start a war about it...

Is that why English is the language of commerce? English ironically being the melting pot of languages, having in its wonderful soup:

Latin: It's derivatives like French, Italian, Spanish...

Germanic: It's root, and even moreso a major part of it's structure.

Various Baltic languages, Russian (The word Robot anyone?)

Asian languages...

Native American languages... (The United State's names anyone? Dakota...Ohio...)

There is a whole slew of languages exchanged through English...which became the language of international commerce for easy use. Interesting...And there wasn't a war on Wall-street or in the Tokyo market over English use...

Level 24
How mature of you to say everything in my post earlier was irrevent or ignorant, when you're the one who's unable to see the cold hard reality of the nature.
That the world is full of assholes like you?

Your analogy sounds like a good one, but your logic doesn't make it apply to the real world.
Why not?

About the Canada and U.S. borders, no, they wouldn't have become one country ages ago. They have their own rules, laws, and style of government that differs greatly from America.
Exactly. Borders are not just going to magically disappear.

Your ignorant reply about the decline of knowledge is funny. I pretty much said that with the ever growing need for English, other languages would suffer, meaning the children being pressured to learn English, instead of their own. I know I did say, "and other subjects", but I've already proved how hard the English language is unless you grow up with it as your primary language, so more then likely it'd take some toll on another subject, at least one; not every child is an adept student you know.
But every child can easily learn language until about the age of 12. That's basic, high-school psychology.

Lot's of global companies that have it worked out? Oh really? Who? How? When? Oh wait, you don't know, you just think there are companies ready to do this, and there won't be. But I'll give you that benefit of the doubt, but if there were companies who were "ready" for this, then I highly doubt they'd succeed.
Samsung, Toshiba, Sony, Intel, Microsoft, IBM, Hewlett Packard, Macintosh (Apple), Panasonic, Yamaha, Nintendo, Acer, Post Cereal, Kroger, Safeway, Costco, Wal Mart, Coca Cola, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper Snapple, Namco Bandai, Hasbro, etc. They all operate in multiple countries, in multiple currencies, and deal with it. Also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multinational_corporation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_multinational_corporations

Level 2
Saken said:
what will happen to currency of other countries?
I doubt currency is directly linked to langage, really. Dollar used to be stable, and thus became an international currency. Now that it has dropped down, I see lots of people talking about Euro being the domining currency. The international langage has yet to change. (what would it change to anyway ?)

Saken said:
but you all are niave in foreseeing the consequences.
What consequences ? Yet, you have denied every possibility of an international langage rising. :con:
You have talked about cultures being destroyed. Again, I hardly see the link. I'm French; what that means is that english-speaking people will think I eat frogs and snails all day long (ok, not every single english-speaking person, but you get the point). It might mean that I will prefer blue over red. I might mean that I have a ridiculous accent. But I can definitely see the "It means I speak french" getting out there, especially since there are other french-speaking countries.
And, honestly, I don't care if I offer presents to my friends and family on Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Magis. Neither of the above means ANYTHING to me. I'm more interested in the family meetings associated to it.
Shorter version : What's this global language destroying countries' culture bullshit you're talking about ?

Saken said:
people don't just do things nicely
[...]what happens to borders? Will they just be erased as time goes by? Will passing from one country to another even matter?
[...]It'd be a scientologist's dream. A utopia of conformity.
Maybe you're taking that too far. Erasing frontiers DOESN'T mean melting cultures and languages. That's actually how the European Union works and I definitely don't see it going down in the next few decades, assuming no war is involved.

Saken said:
Not to mention guys, how boring would life be if there were no longer any exotic places you could go to when you've got the money to go on a vacation half-way around the world?
Alright. Sounds like you've never seen the fun of being limited to "Hello" "Good bye" and "Where are the toilets ?" when visiting a foreign country. Same goes for changing your currency to the local currency. It's a real pain, and I'm glad that most people working with (for ?) tourists actually understands bits of english. The fact that I don't have to change currency when travelling through Europe is a blessing.
Language and currency does contribute to the exotism of a country, however it is much more of a pain in the *** when you're really doing it.

Saken said:
You'd get there to meet some guy who has a slightly different accent, yet speak, look like, and act like you.
I think I might be losing you on that one. Are we still speaking of a case with only one language for the whole population ? In this case, I don't see the link (again). It has yet to be proved that learning english brainwashes you into an american.

Oh yeah, also, your analogy (am I even using this word in the right place ?) between languages and religions is probably too much and makes you look like a stubborn extremist.
Saken said:
You said years will pass, and the children will, by the thousands, millions, and billions pick up English, thus carrying it like a priest carries a rosarie, balled up tight in their fist, carrying with them, faith, or the English language.

You do raise a point though. There is no nice way to make people learn a language correctly. You either learn a language :
- by necessity : Because shows on the TV aren't traduced. This isn't the case in France and Italy; every TV show is traduced in these countries. Guess what ? those countries are known because their inhabitants suck at english. On the other hand, scandinavians are known for having an unusual amount of people that practice english. From what I know, TV shows aren't traduced over there.
- by force : If you force people (mainly children) to use a language, and don't allow them to use their first language, you will eventually get those people to forget about their first language in a few generations. France has tested and approved this method a few centuries ago, erasing the local languages and leaving french as the sole language to be used by the frenches.

Level 12
En_Fuego said:
I find this hard to understand. Arizona is like a who's-who? of races. We have immigrants from pretty much all the major immigrated countries (China, Korea, Mexico, Kenya, etc.) and still people manage to learn English despite not being able to learn it in their home.

Even all of the illegals, who claim to only speak Spansih, Chinese, etc. at home, can speak well enough English to get around.

Irrelevent, all states in America have diverse groups of people, some more so then others, but all states have diverse populations.

They may learn it by having to use it by necessity, but those who don't move to America, it's not necessity.

Elenai said:
Is that why English is the language of commerce? English ironically being the melting pot of languages, having in its wonderful soup:

Latin: It's derivatives like French, Italian, Spanish...

Germanic: It's root, and even moreso a major part of it's structure.

Various Baltic languages, Russian (The word Robot anyone?)

Asian languages...

Native American languages... (The United State's names anyone? Dakota...Ohio...)

There is a whole slew of languages exchanged through English...which became the language of international commerce for easy use. Interesting...And there wasn't a war on Wall-street or in the Tokyo market over English use...

It may be used for international commerce between big buisnesses, but the majority of the world isn't in the standing point of running or working that high up through trading stocks or making buisness deals, that's a very slim ratio compared to the rest of the world, the average person. So again, an international language would not apply to them.

Teh_Ephy said:
More name calling, am I really making you that upset over an argument? Wow.

So by thinking through a realistic standing point, this makes me an asshole? Your logic is flawless.

I used this analogy earlier, but painting can be done in watercolours, acryllic paint, oil paints, dyes, etc. on canvas, clay, buildings, etc. Culture is not limited to one specific language, and learning a language does not magically force a culture on you.

Because a culture is based through a specific group of people, usually meaning they stick to their guns, using their language to take part in their traditions. You don't have Jews celebrating Christmas.

So basically, using the same idea of your analogy, that's like trying to use a pencil to paint a canvas. No matter the type of paint or style you're using, it won't work out.

Exactly. Borders are not just going to magically disappear.

I know... because they have an entire different type of government, different laws, regulations, and rules. You just took what I said, disagreed with it, then took my explanation and then tried to use it against me, when you didn't even get what I had said in the first place.

What I said earlier was that when we impose our government on others, it changes them. I'm not about repeat myself again because you didn't catch what was said to begin with.

But every child can easily learn language until about the age of 12. That's basic, high-school psychology.

I already proved that not every child has the ability, resources, and desire to learn another language. Yes a child is more capable of learning another lanauge, but you need the ability to do it, the desire, and the resources.

Samsung, Toshiba, Sony, Intel, Microsoft, IBM, Hewlett Packard, Macintosh (Apple), Panasonic, Yamaha, Nintendo, Acer, Post Cereal, Kroger, Safeway, Costco, Wal Mart, Coca Cola, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper Snapple, Namco Bandai, Hasbro, etc. They all operate in multiple countries, in multiple currencies, and deal with it.

I was talking about companies who are ready to make the switch over to another currency, you just listed global companies who are successful in many countries. They don't all use the American currency in every country.

Bantas said:
Dollar used to be stable, and thus became an international currency. Now that it has dropped down, I see lots of people talking about Euro being the domining currency. The international langage has yet to change. (what would it change to anyway ?)

The dollar hasn't been stable in years, it's declined to a fraction of what it was once worth. It was also never used internationally, meaning you didn't go to China and give them a dollar and expect to get what you're trying to buy. They'll just look at you and get pissed off because you didn't exchange your currency for theirs when you got in their country.

Euro may dominate the EU, but it's not going to be used in countries other then the EU.

What consequences ? Yet, you have denied every possibility of an international langage rising.
You have talked about cultures being destroyed. Again, I hardly see the link. I'm French; what that means is that english-speaking people will think I eat frogs and snails all day long (ok, not every single english-speaking person, but you get the point). It might mean that I will prefer blue over red. I might mean that I have a ridiculous accent. But I can definitely see the "It means I speak french" getting out there, especially since there are other french-speaking countries.
And, honestly, I don't care if I offer presents to my friends and family on Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Magis. Neither of the above means ANYTHING to me. I'm more interested in the family meetings associated to it.
Shorter version : What's this global language destroying countries' culture bullshit you're talking about ?

I deny it because I have no circumstancial evidence to prove otherwise. All I have is a bunch of people playing make-believe and saying "what if".

If you think all English speaking people think you eat frogs or snails all day, that's a little absurd. I've never come across anyone who's that stupid to think that. Thanksgiving especially is an American holiday, and since you're French, I question why you celebrate this. Christmas is a little more global, but that's only because of Christianity, even though hardly anyone even celebrates the religious aspect about it. It's just about presents now. I also like to add that Christmas is copied from the old Romans, who celebrated it as a Pagan holiday where everyone merrily drank, had sex, and had feasts.

Maybe you're taking that too far. Erasing frontiers DOESN'T mean melting cultures and languages. That's actually how the European Union works and I definitely don't see it going down in the next few decades, assuming no war is involved.

Saying English will be the global language is taking it too far. I don't see it happening at all.

I think I might be losing you on that one. Are we still speaking of a case with only one language for the whole population ? In this case, I don't see the link (again). It has yet to be proved that learning english brainwashes you into an american.

Oh yeah, also, your analogy (am I even using this word in the right place ?) between languages and religions is probably too much and makes you look like a stubborn extremist.

Take a look at the rant thread posted by J?something. It Americanizes you to some extent.

I am stubborn, I admit it, but I'm only stubborn when it comes to things I truly believe in, based on realistic stand points and common sense.

Alright. Sounds like you've never seen the fun of being limited to "Hello" "Good bye" and "Where are the toilets ?" when visiting a foreign country. Same goes for changing your currency to the local currency. It's a real pain, and I'm glad that most people working with (for ?) tourists actually understands bits of english. The fact that I don't have to change currency when travelling through Europe is a blessing.
Language and currency does contribute to the exotism of a country, however it is much more of a pain in the *** when you're really doing it.

I have been introduced to other languages. Spanish for instance. The south is becoming more and more influenced by Spanish speakers and Mexican culture, such as food. (Look for my posts in other topics that talk about the food, Tex-Mex.)

Pain in the ass sure, but it's a part of the experience, and you act like it's just a breeze for them to switch over to our currency.

Level 24
So by thinking through a realistic standing point, this makes me an asshole? Your logic is flawless.
No, you're an asshole because you deny our own examples without providing your own counterexamples.

Because a culture is based through a specific group of people, usually meaning they stick to their guns, using their language to take part in their traditions. You don't have Jews celebrating Christmas.
But you have plenty of Jews that don't speak Hebrew all the time, and maintain Jewish tradition completely fine.

I know... because they have an entire different type of government, different laws, regulations, and rules. You just took what I said, disagreed with it, then took my explanation and then tried to use it against me, when you didn't even get what I had said in the first place.
Because I tl;dr'd your entire piece of shit post. It's not like I had a reason to expect it to have any valid points, none of your other posts did.

What I said earlier was that when we impose our government on others, it changes them. I'm not about repeat myself again because you didn't catch what was said to begin with.
We're not imposing anything but one election. After that, whatever happens is what they impose on themselves.

I was talking about companies who are ready to make the switch over to another currency, you just listed global companies who are successful in many countries. They don't all use the American currency in every country.
Exactly. They don't need to use one single currency in every country. I invalidated a whole third of your wall of text.

I deny it because I have no circumstancial evidence to prove otherwise. All I have is a bunch of people playing make-believe and saying "what if".
I don't have any evidence to prove that you're right and I'm wrong.

Saying English will be the global language is taking it too far. I don't see it happening at all.
Hah, and you're accusing me of not knowing what's going on. HorizonTal only thought that English had the potential to become a globally used language, he didn't say that if there was a globally used language it would be English.

I am stubborn, I admit it, but I'm only stubborn when it comes to things I truly believe in, based on realistic stand points and common sense.
If you hate yourself this much, go to a pharmacist and buy a razor.

Level 12
I'm just going to leave it at that. I'd advise Saken to do a little insightful soul searching before he replies to this.

One down, one ignorant naive person left.

Teh_Ephy said:
No, you're an asshole because you deny our own examples without providing your own counterexamples.

Every single one of my posts has numerous counter examples. The entire count of my posts in this thread is a big massive counter example. Come on now, how stupid are you going to make yourself out to be?

But you have plenty of Jews that don't speak Hebrew all the time, and maintain Jewish tradition completely fine.

During their Bar mitzah or Bat mitzah, they have to read a portion of the Torah and lead the congregation in prayer, males only, but Judaism is typically more centered around traditions, unlike Christianity where you can have sinners by their own standards be commiting acts against their god and it not be that big of a deal.

Because I tl;dr'd your entire piece of shit post. It's not like I had a reason to expect it to have any valid points, none of your other posts did.

So are you just incapable of reading for long periods of time? Should I stick to picture posts so your naive little mind can stay focused?

We're not imposing anything but one election. After that, whatever happens is what they impose on themselves.

This is the first time anyone's said anything about any election. The end result though, of any election on a global language would result in what I've told you all along. It won't happen.

Exactly. They don't need to use one single currency in every country. I invalidated a whole third of your wall of text.

Rediculous. How rediculous. The whole talk about currency was concerning the English language, and the whole Americanization of currency in other countries, culture, and individuality. Stop being so ignorant, and acting like what you're saying is actually worth reading. (Which at least I'm giving you that much respect to do so, since you're unable to spend the 10+ hours you probably spend on the computer to read a few paragraphs of common sense.

I don't have any evidence to prove that you're right and I'm wrong.
Every counter example and every lick of logic, reason, and common sense I've placed before you.

Hah, and you're accusing me of not knowing what's going on. HorizonTal only thought that English had the potential to become a globally used language, he didn't say that if there was a globally used language it would be English.
HorizonTal said:
International Language: English?
Here I'm pretty sure they're starting to teach English as a second language even in kindergartens, and anyway most of cartoons for children, movies, books (with all their names) are from the U.S. so the knowledge of this language is spreading pretty fast.
Is English the language of the future?
Is it a nice international language?
Will it replace every other language?
are you afraid for your own language and culture?
I like my own language aswell, but I would surely give it up for a global language (imagine how cool that would be!).

Yes, he says he doesn't know if English will be the global language (Which there won't be.) but all of which I quote imply that he wants it to be English, and he even goes so far to say he'd give up his own native language for a global one, English, the one he's been talking about this entire time. It's called context clues, maybe they havn't taught this to you yet in elementary school.

I'd also like to point this out real quick, for when you guys were arguing about how English is easy to learn.

Teh_Ephy said:
Until you start learning how to write. Almost every grammatical rule has several exceptions, pronunciation is frequently inconsistent (three different ways of prounouncing "ough"; rough, through, thorough). Monosyllabic adjectives like "fun" or "good" can't be modified with -er or -est suffixes, but other words like "great" are just fine. The rule for y to iest (dirty-dirtiest, freaky-freakiest) is completely unnecessary, since "y" has multiple pronunciations.

If you hate yourself this much, go to a pharmacist and buy a razor.

I admitted I was stubborn, because I know it to be true, something I'm proud of. Which I said before, maybe your little mind couln't process all the words I used before though, my bad. It's not something I'm mad about, nothing in this entire thread has made me mad, I practically laugh at you when I read your trash for replies to me. You guys are incredible.

Also, you don't need to reveal your secret to the Hive in your reply, on how you take a razor to yourself. Judging by your mind-set, arn't you too young to be using a razor anyways?

Level 24
Every single one of my posts has numerous counter examples. The entire count of my posts in this thread is a big massive counter example. Come on now, how stupid are you going to make yourself out to be?
Your "counter examples" have been the exact same rhetoric that our examples have been in the first place.

During their Bar mitzah or Bat mitzah, they have to read a portion of the Torah and lead the congregation in prayer, males only, but Judaism is typically more centered around traditions
You realise that this helps my point? Tradition and culture are preserved even though their primary language isn't Hebrew, and Hebrew exists even though it isn't the primary language.

unlike Christianity where you can have sinners by their own standards be commiting acts against their god and it not be that big of a deal.
What does this have to do with anything?

So are you just incapable of reading for long periods of time? Should I stick to picture posts so your naive little mind can stay focused?
It would probably be hard to find useful pictures, you should colour code your posts. Preferably, into facts/assertions and conclusions.

This is the first time anyone's said anything about any election. The end result though, of any election on a global language would result in what I've told you all along. It won't happen.

Rediculous. How rediculous. The whole talk about currency was concerning the English language, and the whole Americanization of currency in other countries, culture, and individuality. Stop being so ignorant, and acting like what you're saying is actually worth reading. (Which at least I'm giving you that much respect to do so, since you're unable to spend the 10+ hours you probably spend on the computer to read a few paragraphs of common sense.
The only time that American government has ever been "imposed" on other countries is directly after wars, where the US implements a government that isn't going to be hostile towards the US. EG: Elections.

Any other aspects of American culture that leech their way in to other societies manage because they are accepted and glamourised. I could come around and say that Japan is imposing its government on the US because of the number of Japanese products and styles that have made their way into American culture.

Every counter example and every lick of logic, reason, and common sense I've placed before you.
Except that I don't validate your personal experiences any more than you validate mine.

Yes, he says he doesn't know if English will be the global language (Which there won't be.) but all of which I quote imply that he wants it to be English, and he even goes so far to say he'd give up his own native language for a global one, English, the one he's been talking about this entire time. It's called context clues, maybe they havn't taught this to you yet in elementary school.

I'd also like to point this out real quick, for when you guys were arguing about how English is easy to learn.
I never said English was easy to learn, I said that young children learn languages easily.

I admitted I was stubborn, because I know it to be true, something I'm proud of. Which I said before, maybe your little mind couln't process all the words I used before though, my bad. It's not something I'm mad about, nothing in this entire thread has made me mad, I practically laugh at you when I read your trash for replies to me. You guys are incredible.
We went over this in chat, so I'm dropping it.

Also, you don't need to reveal your secret to the Hive in your reply, on how you take a razor to yourself. Judging by your mind-set, arn't you too young to be using a razor anyways?
I'm pretty sure we kind of went over each-others' mindsets in chat, so I'm dropping this too.

Level 12
I'm dropping the argument all together, it's too time consuming to argue when I know your stand point on this now. That you do this just because you can basically, so I suppose my words were wasted in some fasion. Oh well, onto the next argument that'll span 9 pages of back and forth bickering.

Level 2
Saken said:
Pain in the ass sure, but it's a part of the experience, and you act like it's just a breeze for them to switch over to our currency.
Alright, is a part of the experience. The bad part.
And I didn't say it was easy for anyone to change currency. However, it is not THAT complicated. I saw the introduction of euro from my own eyes, and the troubles were minimal compared to the chaos predicted by the medias. Changing currency is not hard; it's convincing the goverments that they should change currency (and lend a part of their power) which is hard.

Level 27
What? None of you is mature enough to lose the "last word" challenge?

Fine. Then I shall leave the last word for whoever can do it in a non-provocative manner.

Incidentally, this discounts itself. If no suitable post can be found, I'll be forced to remove this one. :(

Level 2
Eventually the global language will be... Braaaaaaaaainz!
If you mean communicating by telepathy, I doubt it. Do my brain's signals match yours ? What tells that what I see blue, you don't see it green (and call it blue) ?
You would need to calibrate a translator, and that would take eons.

Level 12
Dreadnought[dA];1345066 said:
Eventually the global language will be... Braaaaaaaaainz!
Once WWZ happens ofc. My guess is, english will become the global language. BTW America will never die!!!

Clueless Bantas said:
If you mean communicating by telepathy, I doubt it. Do my brain's signals match yours ? What tells that what I see blue, you don't see it green (and call it blue) ?
You would need to calibrate a translator, and that would take eons.

He was talking about zombies.

WWZ = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWZ

Status
Not open for further replies.